ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Jackson, out with the Knicks

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
dude was so good managing the egos in Chicago and LA. He kind of imploded in NYC.

DDaYXkvXoAIdi-_.jpg:large

He was a good coach with the Early bulls. Then he just managed super teams after those years.

Dolan is an idiot for paying him in the first place, but there's a reason the Knicks/Rangers are the laughing stock of all sports.

LdN

He was a good coach with the Early bulls. Then he just managed super teams after those years.

Dolan is an idiot for paying him in the first place, but there's a reason the Knicks/Rangers are the laughing stock of all sports.

LdN

Hey...don't see the Browns short!

Hey...don't see the Browns short!

Ha, so true. But NY is the biggest market in the US. The Rangers had no salary cap for years and at one point had a 2 plus season no win streak vs. the NJ Devils.

The Knicks play in the biggest basketball city in the world, and they can't seem to make the playoffs. Half the teams in the NBA make the playoffs.

The NBA bends over backwards for the Knicks, gifting them draft picks and the Ewing "selection". They still don't win.

LdN

Reactions: acg116

LdN

The Rangers have made the playoffs every year for the last I don't know how many years now have made the Eastern Conference Finals and the Stanley Cup Finals. Not sure how they're a laughing stock. Especially when they're in the same division with a team who can't make it out the second round.

The difference between the Knicks and the Rangers is that Dolan was completely hands off with the Rangers and completely hands on with the Knicks. Oddly when he finally chose to be hands off with the Knicks he left it to someone who was a first timer with an ego. For the Knicks to be good Dolan has to stay out of the way AND it has to be given to someone with experience. I hope that Ujiri will come over from the Raptors but ... until it happens im not holding out hope.

Ha, so true. But NY is the biggest market in the US. The Rangers had no salary cap for years and at one point had a 2 plus season no win streak vs. the NJ Devils.

The Knicks play in the biggest basketball city in the world, and they can't seem to make the playoffs. Half the teams in the NBA make the playoffs.

The NBA bends over backwards for the Knicks, gifting them draft picks and the Ewing "selection". They still don't win.

LdN

The Ewing selection? That was 30 years ago lmao

So, Phil Jackson can coach.....he needs a job....Penn State basketball needs a big splashy name to recruit kids and have a chance of winning....Ira Lubert has money......

Hmmmmm.....

The Rangers have made the playoffs every year for the last I don't know how many years now have made the Eastern Conference Finals and the Stanley Cup Finals. Not sure how they're a laughing stock. Especially when they're in the same division with a team who can't make it out the second round.

The difference between the Knicks and the Rangers is that Dolan was completely hands off with the Rangers and completely hands on with the Knicks. Oddly when he finally chose to be hands off with the Knicks he left it to someone who was a first timer with an ego. For the Knicks to be good Dolan has to stay out of the way AND it has to be given to someone with experience. I hope that Ujiri will come over from the Raptors but ... until it happens im not holding out hope.

Cavs don't have a GM. They let their old one go and have been after Billups, who hasn't signed for whatever reason. I am not a big fan of Phil's as a GM but stranger things have happened.

It's not being defensive when it's correcting blatant falsehoods ... but ok lol.

You lol a lot.
Nothing I said was a falsehood. The Rangers had no salary cap for years and couldn't win.
The Knicks are currently a giant joke in the worlds biggest basketball market.

The Rangers obviously have turned the corner, but that doesn't change their history, which is one cup in who knows how many seasons.

LdN

So, Phil Jackson can coach.....he needs a job....Penn State basketball needs a big splashy name to recruit kids and have a chance of winning....Ira Lubert has money......

Hmmmmm.....
But will he be able to recruit Philly?

Phil Jackson, out with the Knicks

The day after the recent NBA draft, I happened to make a rare foray over to ESPN to watch their analysis. Steven A. Smith (a challenge at times, but he knows the game) just ripped Phil Jackson to shreds for his drafts, for his lack of effort as a GM, and for his fixation on the outdated triangle offense. Steven A indicated that the triangle is a subset of many current offenses, but that running it exclusively is not a recipe for success in the current NBA.

The day after the recent NBA draft, I happened to make a rare foray over to ESPN to watch their analysis. Steven A. Smith (a challenge at times, but he knows the game) just ripped Phil Jackson to shreds for his drafts, for his lack of effort as a GM, and for his fixation on the outdated triangle offense. Steven A indicated that the triangle is a subset of many current offenses, but that running it exclusively is not a recipe for success in the current NBA.
Sorry I missed it, sounds like it was a rare moment of insight for him. For hoops talk I always prefer jalen rose.

Hmmmmm.....
Well, his daughter IS an Alum. I passed by him in my cap and gown as she graduated in my class. I'm tall but he's goofy tall.

Last edited:
Well, his daughter IS an Alum. I passed by him in my cap and gown as she graduated in my class. I'm tall but hes goofy tall.

I remember standing in line at Student Bookstore on College Avenue and seeing this tall guy walking down college through the windows. My brain recognized him but not immediately. I thought for a minute that guy looked really familiar and then it dawned on me it was Phil Jackson. At the time, I thought why the hell was Phil Jackson walking down college avenue in May. I half didn't not believe what I saw. It wasn't until about 2 years later that I remember watching a baseball game where they showed him watching with his wife and his wife had on a PSU hat and they mentioned his daughter went to PSU.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
You seem very defensive about the Knicks and the Rangers. I understand, I'm in NY as well. They are embarassing.

LdN

I'min NY too, but I find the Rangers more frustrating and disappointing than embarassing. The Knicks on the other hand are a complete embarassment. I hated Jackson as a Knicks player, I don't know why they brought him back. Based on what? We all could coach Jordan, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe.

Well, Jackson had some clunkers, but didn't he pick Porzingis? That has worked out pretty well, even though he took massive criticism for it at the time he drafted Porzingis.

I'min NY too, but I find the Rangers more frustrating and disappointing than embarassing. The Knicks on the other hand are a complete embarassment. I hated Jackson as a Knicks player, I don't know why they brought him back. Based on what? We all could coach Jordan, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe.

Rangers have been frustrating that's true. However, they did have a hilariously terrible period which hurt the NHL and their franchise.

There is an entire generation of people who have never known NYC to be a basketball town at this point.

The Knicks need to GET RID of Carmelo Anthony and start over. If that means trading Porzingis for some decent draft picks, then do it. Their team is just a disaster right now.

Well, Jackson had some clunkers, but didn't he pick Porzingis? That has worked out pretty well, even though he took massive criticism for it at the time he drafted Porzingis

Steven A did have a comment about Phil and picking Porzingis. I don't remember it exactly, or even generally, so unfortunately I can't comment on what he said.

Porzingis was a good talent, but there was a belief that he was a few years away from being able to play in the NBA. The Knicks were drafting 4th that year, and they did OK. The 2015 draft really wasn't that impressive, looking back. The Timberwolves took Karl Towns at 1, and that was a no-brainer. The Lakers opted for D'Angelo Russell at 2, in part because of concerns about Okafor's defense. The Sixers took Okafor at 3, though they really wanted Russell, and now they don't seem to have any clue what to do with Okafor. His defense is non-existant, and his value to the Sixers is only as a fill-in if Embiid has future injury issues. The rest of the league is aware of the situation, and while some would like to add him to their team, none want to pay anything close to lottery pick for him. At 5, the Magic took Mario Hezonja. The Knicks needed size, not a guard. At 6, Sacramento took Willie Cauley-Stein, a center with good defense and very little offense. At 7, Denver took guard Emmanuel Mudiay. At 8, Denver took forward Stanley Johnson -- good defensively, but poor offense. At 9, Charlotte took Frank Kaminsky, a center with good offensive skills but questionable strength and defense. At 10, Miamia took forward Justise Winslow, a 3/4 combo known for excellent defense and so-so offense.

So if you look at the top 10 picks, Jackson may have made a bit of a reach with Porzingis, but it's hard to make a case for anyone taken at 5 thru 10 over Porzingis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT