ADVERTISEMENT

Can this be true (old MLB player)

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
So the dude got struck by lightning, was revived, and finished the game. Then he pitches a no hitter 17 days later

GIUc15tXIAAwUAn

So the dude got struck by lightning, was revived, and finished the game. Then he pitches a no hitter 17 days later

GIUc15tXIAAwUAn
The more insane stat is the Indians actually won a World Series in 1920. Over 100 years and they got a grand total of two. But that’s it since now they changed their name to a feminine product.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
That’s insane!!!! Going back in my childhood Time Machine…. I’ve got an image of Nolan Ryan spitting a lightning bolt out and finishing the game. What a story of this tough S.O.B.named Ray Caldwell. I’m sure the next time Spider stops in to see me, he will tell me that they are related! 🤣. Thanks for sharing!!

Reactions: Obliviax

GIUc15tXIAAwUAn
According to his Wiki he was knocked unconscious after 8 2/3rds innings but stayed in to get the final out.

He was also a terrible alcoholic. While he was able to pitch for years he was never good and was cut from teams for drinking. Many believe he had great talent, which why he kept getting chances, but couldn’t stay dry.

Caldwell was struck by lightning while playing for the Cleveland Indians against the Philadelphia Athletics in 1919; despite being knocked unconscious, he refused to leave the game, having pitched 8 2⁄3 innings, and went on to record the final out for the win.[4][2] For the six starts Caldwell made that year with Cleveland, he went 5–1 with a 1.71 ERA. This included the game where he was struck by lightning and a no-hitter against his former longtime teammates, the New York Yankees, on September 10.

GIUc15tXIAAwUAn
Old baseball players were tougher. I remember a story about Dick Hoak getting into a brawl in a local Pittsburgh bar during the season that the Pirates won the World Series.

Reactions: Obliviax
Old baseball players were tougher. I remember a story about Dick Hoak getting into a brawl in a local Pittsburgh bar during the season that the Pirates won the World Series.
Here’s a funny. Years ago local paper had an article on a female high school track star, a top sprinter.

She won the WPIAL qualifier but had a lot pain in her legs what she thought were shin splints. Drs said she had hairline fractures and put legs in casts all week.

Then she had the casts removed and won the WPIAL 100 ad 200 meters!

Then… to my amazement and undying amusement…..I read the article directly next to it; Barry Bonds, highest paid player in baseball, was placed on the ten day injured list because he was hit by a pitch and had a bruised forearm!

To this day I wished I had saved that paper.🤷

Last edited:
The more insane stat is the Indians actually won a World Series in 1920. Over 100 years and they got a grand total of two. But that’s it since now they changed their name to a feminine product.
My first MLB game was Oakland vs. Indians at Municipal Stadium with my dad. Bat day.

I still have the felt Chief Wahoo pennant from that day hanging in my garage. When I retire I'll head back for a weekend series. Still root for Cleveland baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT