ADVERTISEMENT

Phil G. on Fleming

I want this kid more than anyone, but if he and his GF did indeed break up. Realistically he doesnt want to go where she is. (that's me trying to get in the head of a high schooler LOL)

I hope he chooses us. This Lejond character is on his D to get him to join the dark side. Hopefully he chooses Clemson, if he doesn't choose PSU. Fingers crossed though.

We will always be at a disadvantage with kids that are not academically inclined. It’s part of who we are and need to accept it. We are going to lose out on 5* kids because of it.

Joe didn't recruit Pryor as a defensive end.
The way I remember it is that Joe talked to Pryor and told him he should be a defensive end. Pryor said no. Joe then may have tried to get him to come to Penn State as a QB. I don't think Penn State was ever considered seriously by Pryor. See this link from 2008. It says Pryor's final choice was between Ohio State and Michigan.

I think you're viewing this with blue & white glasses. tOSU has been the premier football program in the B1G for some time now, and has been one of the top 5 teams nationally for most of the same time as well. PSU is closing the recruiting gap and it remains to be seen how effective tOSU will be in the post-Meyer era (my guess it they will still be damn good). Despite closing the gap in recruiting, in terms of national success tOSU is still the class of the B1G. Close games against them are great, but until we start stringing together some victories and supplant them as the top team being considered for the CFP, and get that national consideration on an almost annual basis, it will be very hard for me to agree that we have matched or surpassed tOSU. None of that discredits what PSU has done. We are getting better under Franklin and closing the gap. But we still have a ways to go.
Never stated that we’ve caught them, only that we’ve significantly closed the gap and are not far behind. OSU has been rated 6th, 5th, 3rd the past 3 years, PSU has been rated 12th, 8th, 5th. OSU has won 2 BIG titles, PSU has won 1. Each game has been a classic the past 3 years, with OSU winning by 1 point two times and PSU winning by 3 in 2016. We may not have the same BIG TEN pedigree, but we have a similar all time, historical pedigree in CFB. The point is that we are poised to take it to the next level with CJF leading the way and Urban Meyer stepping down. Sure it remains to be seen, but the trajectory, timing and momentum all favors Penn State to continue to rise. Ryan Day has been handed over the keys to the Buckeyes, but he’ll need to prove he can handle the significant challenge that Harbaugh, Franklin and Dantonio will surely bring.

Sure I may have some blue white lenses on, but we’ve never been so well positioned since the historical NCAA sanctions that almost shut down the program. We shall certainly see how the next 3-5 years plays out.

Reactions: Howie'81
The way I remember it is that Joe talked to Pryor and told him he should be a defensive end. Pryor said no. Joe then may have tried to get him to come to Penn State as a QB. I don't think Penn State was ever considered seriously by Pryor. See this link from 2008. It says Pryor's final choice was between Ohio State and Michigan.
Joe wanted him to be a safety. And good point about it being between osu and Michigan because im not so certain that Fleming is choosing between OSU and PSU. I think it’s OSU or Clemson

Why do people keep posting that he is already 19.

From the PIAA: To be eligible to participate in grades 10 through 12, you must not have reached your 19th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year. Where you will participate only in grades 7 and 8, you may not have reached your 15th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year; where you will participate only in grades 7 through 9, you may not have reached your 16th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year.
I said he will be 19 during the (senior) season.

Never stated that we’ve caught them, only that we’ve significantly closed the gap and are not far behind. OSU has been rated 6th, 5th, 3rd the past 3 years, PSU has been rated 12th, 8th, 5th. OSU has won 2 BIG titles, PSU has won 1. Each game has been a classic the past 3 years, with OSU winning by 1 point two times and PSU winning by 3 in 2016. We may not have the same BIG TEN pedigree, but we have a similar all time, historical pedigree in CFB. The point is that we are poised to take it to the next level with CJF leading the way and Urban Meyer stepping down. Sure it remains to be seen, but the trajectory, timing and momentum all favors Penn State to continue to rise. Ryan Day has been handed over the keys to the Buckeyes, but he’ll need to prove he can handle the significant challenge that Harbaugh, Franklin and Dantonio will surely bring.

Sure I may have some blue white lenses on, but we’ve never been so well positioned since the historical NCAA sanctions that almost shut down the program. We shall certainly see how the next 3-5 years plays out.

Hysterical sanctions!

It's hilarious to read folks jump on the whole academics mantra about how he'd have to go to class if he came here bs ... he's going to go to class no matter where he goes... and it literally has zero to do with this recruitment.

It has to do with a) his now ex-gf b) him being persuaded by Day and Hartline that they're going to be running the same system as they did last year and he sees what Haskins did vs what Trace did and c) him being extremely talented and thinking (incorrectly IMO I might add) that we arent going to keep up with the OSU's of the world.

Sometimes results don't matter to most recruits. This is one where it's going to need to. We NEED to beat OSU this year. We need to win at least 10 games. We need to not get blown out this year in any game. The gap has closed immensely between us and the top of the conference ... but we need to clear that hurdle ... consistently.

Btw I do agree with the poster who said this is actually more of a OSU/Clemson battle than an OSU/PSU one right now.

Reactions: ftlpsu
No he’s not going to class elsewhere. They take online classes and don’t really persue any tangible major. It’s just about being enrolled and a passing grade. That will be enticing to a kid who thinks he’s going NFL anyway.

Remember Katzenmoyer at OSU? He took golf, music awareness and AIDS awareness to stay eligible. And that was before online classes were an option.

Sure we will survive whatever that means. Franklin is trying to become an elite program and that requires elite players. There is not just another elite WR waiting for PSU to offer. It’s always PSU will be fine when we miss out on Bresee or Fleming. If by fine you mean 9-3 then yes we will be fine

Well, we have an elite receiver on the roster with 4 years of eligibility who also happened to be the #1 receiver in the 2018 class so missing out on Fleming is really not life-altering. It's good for publicity, I suppose. If we find an elite receiver for 2021, we will not have skipped a beat.

I think you're viewing this with blue & white glasses. tOSU has been the premier football program in the B1G for some time now, and has been one of the top 5 teams nationally for most of the same time as well. PSU is closing the recruiting gap and it remains to be seen how effective tOSU will be in the post-Meyer era (my guess it they will still be damn good). Despite closing the gap in recruiting, in terms of national success tOSU is still the class of the B1G. Close games against them are great, but until we start stringing together some victories and supplant them as the top team being considered for the CFP, and get that national consideration on an almost annual basis, it will be very hard for me to agree that we have matched or surpassed tOSU. None of that discredits what PSU has done. We are getting better under Franklin and closing the gap. But we still have a ways to go.

PSU has gone toe to toe with OSU for 4 years straight. OSU has more talent by the rankings but PSU has been just as talented on the field. Somebody has to lose--it's been us unfortunately.

No he’s not going to class elsewhere. They take online classes and don’t really persue any tangible major. It’s just about being enrolled and a passing grade. That will be enticing to a kid who thinks he’s going NFL anyway.

Remember Katzenmoyer at OSU? He took golf, music awareness and AIDS awareness to stay eligible. And that was before online classes were an option.
Everything was above board with the Big Kat...https://www.si.com/vault/1999/06/14...ate-kept-linebacker-andy-katzenmoyer-eligible

I’m pretty sure you are wrong on the second part. If we lose Fleming, Penn State Football is done within two years. The future of our university hinges on this decision.
Yeah, pretty ridiculous to get bent out of shape over one recruit.

Perfect example is Jim and UM. We constantly lose 5 - stars who decide to leave the program for one reason or another and Jim just replaces them with other 5 star recruits. We totally SMASHED OSU in recruiting last year (2019 class). I think all of the monster recruiting classes that Jim has put together is starting to pay off as almost every preseason poll has Michigan in the top 5 to 7 and the landslide favorite to replace the sucknuts as B1G champs. It's not about a single recruit but the total body of work.

Perfect example is Jim and UM. We constantly lose 5 - stars who decide to leave the program for one reason or another and Jim just replaces them with other 5 star recruits. We totally SMASHED OSU in recruiting last year (2019 class). I think all of the monster recruiting classes that Jim has put together is starting to pay off as almost every preseason poll has Michigan in the top 5 to 7 and the landslide favorite to replace the sucknuts as B1G champs. It's not about a single recruit but the total body of work.
God, I love you.

Reactions: 81b&w
Ohio St's 2012-2015 4-yr recruiting class ranking average (using 247 rankings) was 2nd best in the nation (to only Alabama). They had 5 5-star and 61 4-stars over those 4 years.

Penn St's 2012-2015 4-yr recruiting class ranking average was 28th best and we had 1 5-star and 24 4-stars over that period.

Those 4 classes were on campus the last time we went unranked at the end of the season (2015-2016 season), Ohio St finished 4th in the AP.

2013-2016 Ohio St fell also slightly below LSU's 4-yr class average to #3 with 4 5-stars and 64 4-stars. Penn St improved to the 21st best 4-yr class average 2 5-stars and 28 4-stars. They finished #6 and we finished #7 in that 2016-2017 season.

2014-2017 Ohio St was tied at #2 with LSU for 4-yr recruiting class average with now 8 5-stars and 59 4-stars. PSU improved to the 19th best 4-yr recruiting class average with 1 5-star and now 36 4-stars. They finished #5 and we finished #8 in 2017-2018.

2015-2018 Ohio St took back over #2 in the 4-yr recruiting class average with 10 5-stars and 64 4-stars while Penn St moved up to the #12 4-yr recruiting class average with 4 4-stars and 43 4-stars (passing Michigan by the way). They finished #3 last year and we disappointed at #17.

247 has Michigan as the 2019 recruiting #8 class, Penn St as #13 and Ohio St #14.

The talent gap has been cut roughly in half or slight better since the 2015 season AND we are on par with Michigan's talent. Ohio St has slightly underperformed with their recruiting classes in terms of their final rankings every single year. Penn St overachieved in terms of their recruiting class's talent by a wide margin in 2016 and 2017 and slightly underperformed last year.

The gap is closing on talent and we are the team that tends to overachieve the rankings while they have recently underperformed their rankings. It could be a changing of the guard soon.
Youre looking way too much into those pointless rankings. The only reason we finished 14th in the composite for 2019 is because we couldn't take as many kids as PSU or UM. We still had a very high average score (3rd behind Bama and UGA) which is obviously way, way more important than some total score. Quality over quantity.

And I guess I fail to see where the gap is closing. Still looks like OSU has a solid recruiting advantage over both PSU and UM. And honestly who cares, recruiting is so overhyped. What's really important is how assistant coaches develop players.

It’s about time RutgersAl had some competition for biggest irrational homer. Let the games begin.

Reactions: furfoot
It’s about time RutgersAl had some competition for biggest irrational homer. Let the games begin.
There’s a big difference, Al while being a ridiculous homer, knows much of what he says is campy, and often is just seeking attention. This nut job has his head jammed up Harbaugh's ass, and actually believes what he posts.

3053159.gif

Reactions: TheGLOV

And that's why he has to rely on transfers at qb because of all the talent he is bringing in

Reactions: Art and TheGLOV
Youre looking way too much into those pointless rankings. The only reason we finished 14th in the composite for 2019 is because we couldn't take as many kids as PSU or UM. We still had a very high average score (3rd behind Bama and UGA) which is obviously way, way more important than some total score. Quality over quantity.

And I guess I fail to see where the gap is closing. Still looks like OSU has a solid recruiting advantage over both PSU and UM. And honestly who cares, recruiting is so overhyped. What's really important is how assistant coaches develop players.
I always read that when it favors PSU. Currently our average score is lower than our composite so I assume you have us outside the top 10

I want this kid more than anyone, but if he and his GF did indeed break up. Realistically he doesnt want to go where she is. (that's me trying to get in the head of a high schooler LOL)

I hope he chooses us. This Lejond character is on his D to get him to join the dark side. Hopefully he chooses Clemson, if he doesn't choose PSU. Fingers crossed though.

Been a long time since I was a teenager, but I could see him going to PSU just so he and his future new girlfriend could be in the face of his current ex-girlfriend. “That’ll teach her!”

Reactions: Kmase21 and bison13

This is comedy gold Jerry, comedy gold.

You notice wolve started posting around the same time that they legalized weed in Michigan? I’m starting to see the connection there.

maxresdefault.jpg

And you may have but so many are claiming he is already 19. They need to see the actual PIAA rule. He would be at IMG if he was.
I recall posting that my guess would be that the PIAA rule would be similar to what we have in NYSPHSAA which makes 7/1 as the cutoff. Assuming that corresponds with date of entry into grade nine(8 consecutive semesters of eligibility) .

We will always be at a disadvantage with kids that are not academically inclined. It’s part of who we are and need to accept it. We are going to lose out on 5* kids because of it.
I don’t disagree, but our 3/4* athletes shouldn’t be going to the wire against a tuff Appalachia State or MSU or....

I don’t disagree, but our 3/4* athletes shouldn’t be going to the wire against a tuff Appalachia State or MSU or....
Should they get blown out 49-20 by Purdue? Ohio St did this past year despite having a 4-yr class average 2nd only to Bama with 10 5-star and 64 4-stars recruited while Purdue had the 64th best 4-yr recruiting class average with 0 5-stars and 1 4-star recruited.

Don't like this past year for comparison? How about 2 years ago when they were blown out not just by Oklahoma but also by Iowa?

Should they get blown out 49-20 by Purdue? Ohio St did this past year despite having a 4-yr class average 2nd only to Bama with 10 5-star and 64 4-stars recruited while Purdue had the 64th best 4-yr recruiting class average with 0 5-stars and 1 4-star recruited.

Don't like this past year for comparison? How about 2 years ago when they were blown out not just by Oklahoma but also by Iowa?

Yep!

Ditto that!!

It's almost never about a single recruit. It's about numbers. PSU doesn't need a 5 star wideout, PSU needs a room full of 4 star and 5 star wideouts -- and with luck and hard work, a third of them will be really special.

Ohio State's best receiver last year was Parris Campbell -- who was a LOW 4 star recruit who was a late bloomer with great speed. He redshirted and 4 years and a lot of coaching later, he's an NFL player.

Fleming is a 5 star without great speed. Probably ready to play as a freshman but we'll see if he's as much of an NFL prospect as Parris Campbell was.

There's just no reason for people to stress about this. Of all the things to worry about with the PSU football program, wide receiver recruiting is not one of them.

Fleming is a 5 star without great speed. Probably ready to play as a freshman but we'll see if he's as much of an NFL prospect as Parris Campbell was.
Fleming finished 2nd in states in the 100M so he has speed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT