ADVERTISEMENT

Phil G. on Fleming

Good point. If he’s two years behind now it seems reasonable that he may “just” want to play football and not go to school too. Probably has no intention of getting a degree. Then why hurt yourself doing both? Add a little wink wink under table incentives and..,

Why is Fleming two years behind?

Would love to get him, but if we don’t, we will be fine. Remember Terrell Tattoo Gate Pryor. He didn’t pan out to be the number 1 player in the country. He should have stayed with basketball.

Would love to get him, but if we don’t, we will be fine. Remember Terrell Tattoo Gate Pryor. He didn’t pan out to be the number 1 player in the country. He should have stayed with basketball.
Pryor came in as a true freshman and led Ohio State to a top-10 finish. And top-five finishes as a sophomore and junior. Don't rewrite history as if missing on Pryor isn't one of the all-timers in "what could have been" PSU history.

Ohio State wins because of their commitment, from the entire community, and not from any one individual. Win or lose on any one recruit is, in the broad scheme, inconsequential.

PSU survived losing Kelchner, Powlus, the Ismail contingent and every other "star" talent from the coal cracker region that went elsewhere. We'll survive Fleming too. Personally I think this kid is gonna be a bust at the next level. He is too slow and he's already 19 now. Running a 4.6 in the forty is not elite speed. And dominating 7v7 competition is no indication of results at the next level. Hope he enjoys going 0-4 against PSU

PSU survived losing Kelchner, Powlus, the Ismail contingent and every other "star" talent from the coal cracker region that went elsewhere. We'll survive Fleming too. Personally I think this kid is gonna be a bust at the next level. He is too slow and he's already 19 now. Running a 4.6 in the forty is not elite speed. And dominating 7v7 competition is no indication of results at the next level. Hope he enjoys going 0-4 against PSU
giphy.gif

There's no good way to rationalize losing a 5-star kid from up the road, period. Even if you think he's going to be a bust, JF would take him in a second. All of this excuse-making smacks of small-time Pitt level discussion.

I'm amused that some think that Clemson doesn't know what they are doing, that OSU doesn't know what they are doing. These programs are way above ours, and they want him.

Sure we will survive whatever that means. Franklin is trying to become an elite program and that requires elite players. There is not just another elite WR waiting for PSU to offer. It’s always PSU will be fine when we miss out on Bresee or Fleming. If by fine you mean 9-3 then yes we will be fine

Not everyone wants to go to school! That will always be what limits us. Anyone want to change that dynamic?

There's no good way to rationalize losing a 5-star kid from up the road, period. Even if you think he's going to be a bust, JF would take him in a second. All of this excuse-making smacks of small-time Pitt level discussion.

I'm amused that some think that Clemson doesn't know what they are doing, that OSU doesn't know what they are doing. These programs are way above ours, and they want him.
Thanks for keeping us all straight. What would I do without you to telling me how to think?
Are you easily amused?

Ohio State’s program is not way above our program. We have been consistently closing the gap the past 3 years and have played them evenly head to head. Urban Meyer is gone and we are poised to close whatever gap remains between our programs, albeit not that much now. Clemson, Alabama, Georgia and probably Oklahoma are elite programs that are clearly elite and above our program right now. OSU and ScUM are not in the same category as these programs. They may still be slightly better than our program for sure, but the gap is closing quickly in recruiting and should translate on the field soon.

Is he legitametly 19 right now? That would mean he’d be a 20 year old high school student (assuming he graduates in May/June and not early). Not doubting you, just asking.

Ohio State’s program is not way above our program. We have been consistently closing the gap the past 3 years and have played them evenly head to head. Urban Meyer is gone and we are poised to close whatever gap remains between our programs, albeit not that much now.
The last few games have been close but OSU has still won 6 of the last 7. OSU is routinely in the top 5 recruiting nationally.

It seems to me that OSU continues to be the dominant team in the BiG. ESPN predicts OSU #5 this year and PSU #16. OSU will likely finish with the top recruiting class in the BiG again this year.

PSU has been near the top of the conference along with UM and Wisconsin but I think there's a reasonable gap between those 3 teams and OSU.

Ohio State’s program is not way above our program. We have been consistently closing the gap the past 3 years and have played them evenly head to head. Urban Meyer is gone and we are poised to close whatever gap remains between our programs, albeit not that much now. Clemson, Alabama, Georgia and probably Oklahoma are elite programs that are clearly elite and above our program right now. OSU and ScUM are not in the same category as these programs. They may still be slightly better than our program for sure, but the gap is closing quickly in recruiting and should translate on the field soon.
Ohio St's 2012-2015 4-yr recruiting class ranking average (using 247 rankings) was 2nd best in the nation (to only Alabama). They had 5 5-star and 61 4-stars over those 4 years.

Penn St's 2012-2015 4-yr recruiting class ranking average was 28th best and we had 1 5-star and 24 4-stars over that period.

Those 4 classes were on campus the last time we went unranked at the end of the season (2015-2016 season), Ohio St finished 4th in the AP.

2013-2016 Ohio St fell also slightly below LSU's 4-yr class average to #3 with 4 5-stars and 64 4-stars. Penn St improved to the 21st best 4-yr class average 2 5-stars and 28 4-stars. They finished #6 and we finished #7 in that 2016-2017 season.

2014-2017 Ohio St was tied at #2 with LSU for 4-yr recruiting class average with now 8 5-stars and 59 4-stars. PSU improved to the 19th best 4-yr recruiting class average with 1 5-star and now 36 4-stars. They finished #5 and we finished #8 in 2017-2018.

2015-2018 Ohio St took back over #2 in the 4-yr recruiting class average with 10 5-stars and 64 4-stars while Penn St moved up to the #12 4-yr recruiting class average with 4 4-stars and 43 4-stars (passing Michigan by the way). They finished #3 last year and we disappointed at #17.

247 has Michigan as the 2019 recruiting #8 class, Penn St as #13 and Ohio St #14.

The talent gap has been cut roughly in half or slight better since the 2015 season AND we are on par with Michigan's talent. Ohio St has slightly underperformed with their recruiting classes in terms of their final rankings every single year. Penn St overachieved in terms of their recruiting class's talent by a wide margin in 2016 and 2017 and slightly underperformed last year.

The gap is closing on talent and we are the team that tends to overachieve the rankings while they have recently underperformed their rankings. It could be a changing of the guard soon.

A lot of merit to this...sometimes getting a big-time recruit to sign with you over a rival (ESPECIALLY a local kid) is a huge PR win regardless of whether or not the kid ever pans out. Not keeping your talent at home is simply bad optics.

Phil noted this morning that Julian Fleming has built a really strong relationship with Ryan Day at Ohio State and Fleming is super impressed with Day's offensive philosophy and system. So a first-time head coach was able to sell an offensive system to an in-state top recruit more effectively than all the coaches and experience at Penn State.

This is a big year for Franklin - his decision of elevating Rahne which enabled Gattis to leave, and most importantly, not going looking for an established offensive coordinator to replace Moorhead is really going to be tested this year. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
who cares.

The last few games have been close but OSU has still won 6 of the last 7. OSU is routinely in the top 5 recruiting nationally.

It seems to me that OSU continues to be the dominant team in the BiG. ESPN predicts OSU #5 this year and PSU #16. OSU will likely finish with the top recruiting class in the BiG again this year.

PSU has been near the top of the conference along with UM and Wisconsin but I think there's a reasonable gap between those 3 teams and OSU.
Urban Meyer is gone. The recruiting gap has been closing for the past 3 years and CJF now has comparable talent in fold, We are much closer than op has suggested.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Urban Meyer is gone. The recruiting gap has been closing for the past 3 years and CJF now has comparable talent in fold, We are much closer than op has suggested.
All the more reason losing a kid from just up the road looks bad (whether or not it ever makes a difference on the field).

he must have a 5* rating for some reason- and rated top 10 overall national recruit. if he is slow for a WR, what is giving him this ranking?

If Pryor would have listened to Joe and played defensive end he would likely be ready for induction into Canton by now after making $15,000,000 per year and being a pro bowl defensive end for over a decade. Jim Tressel ruined Pryor's life by telling him he could be a successful college and pro QB.

If Pryor would have listened to Joe and played defensive end he would likely be ready for induction into Canton by now after making $15,000,000 per year and being a pro bowl defensive end for over a decade. Jim Tressel ruined Pryor's life by telling him he could be a successful college and pro QB.

Joe didn't recruit Pryor as a defensive end.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I think you're viewing this with blue & white glasses. tOSU has been the premier football program in the B1G for some time now, and has been one of the top 5 teams nationally for most of the same time as well. PSU is closing the recruiting gap and it remains to be seen how effective tOSU will be in the post-Meyer era (my guess it they will still be damn good). Despite closing the gap in recruiting, in terms of national success tOSU is still the class of the B1G. Close games against them are great, but until we start stringing together some victories and supplant them as the top team being considered for the CFP, and get that national consideration on an almost annual basis, it will be very hard for me to agree that we have matched or surpassed tOSU. None of that discredits what PSU has done. We are getting better under Franklin and closing the gap. But we still have a ways to go.

Is he legitametly 19 right now? That would mean he’d be a 20 year old high school student (assuming he graduates in May/June and not early). Not doubting you, just asking.
Why do people keep posting that he is already 19.

From the PIAA: To be eligible to participate in grades 10 through 12, you must not have reached your 19th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year. Where you will participate only in grades 7 and 8, you may not have reached your 15th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year; where you will participate only in grades 7 through 9, you may not have reached your 16th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT