ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State vs Ohio State: Let the speculation begin

Not even close. This Rutgers squad has three guys and I find the rest of them pretty boring. I’ll watch the first half of the dual and 157, or get the scores and rewatch the good matches later. (I would have watched Princeton but there was a funeral to go to)

If tOSU is on a Sunday id watch either way. Friday isn’t a day I wanna “waste” on a crappy dual.

I don’t know where to ask the tOSU people if their guys are gonna sit so I only asked about PSU here.
We all have choices to make. True PSU fans will watch no matter who wrestles or the opponent

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
I think that contradicts a lot of what has been said... you're going or your not based on health not situation unless it is qualifying for March.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Hey quick question for the group, who calls the shots regarding the starting order for the match? Do both coaches have to agree if the match doesn't start at 125?

if it's the home team coach only I think Ryan starts the match at 141, 149 or even 197 which makes a ton of sense for me. tOSU can avoid Bo and Cassar needing to know exactly how many points they need to take the dual. Both will take unnecessary chances if they have to.

Hey quick question for the group, who calls the shots regarding the starting order for the match? Do both coaches have to agree if the match doesn't start at 125?

if it's the home team coach only I think Ryan starts the match at 141, 149 or even 197 which makes a ton of sense for me. tOSU can avoid Bo and Cassar needing to know exactly how many points they need to take the dual. Both will take unnecessary chances if they have to.

i believe it's random draw unless both coaches agree on a weight

I believe both coaches have to agree to a weight or a random draw, otherwise it starts at 125. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

I think that contradicts a lot of what has been said... you're going or your not based on health not situation unless it is qualifying for March.

Ditto. They will make the decision before the dual starts based on RBY's health and what happens in the dual will not change that decision.

I think Mark mixes it up tonight and experience will give us 6. He's due.
I agree. I think Hall will be more aggressive tonight because bonus points from him will most likely be needed. All the other duals, he just needs to win.

I believe both coaches have to agree to a weight or a random draw, otherwise it starts at 125. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

Section 8. Determining Wrestling Order

Dual Meets
Art. 1.
Protocol.
Immediately after the weigh-in for a dual meet or multiple dual
meets conducted on the same day, coaches may mutually agree to determine the starting weight class for the match(es). If coaches cannot agree on the starting weight class, a random draw shall be conducted to determine which weight class will be wrestled first. Once the first weight class is established, either by agreement or random draw, subsequent matches will continue in the traditional sequence of increasing weight class order.

Ok thanks. Cael is a traditionalist so I doubt they come to an agreement on a non standard start, so it could be a random draw. Wouldn't it be crazy if 125 was the last match and Schnupp, pulled off the upset to win it all. Extremely unlikely scenario but...

Reactions: Esherret
Ok thanks. Cael is a traditionalist so I doubt they come to an agreement on a non standard start, so it could be a random draw. Wouldn't it be crazy if 125 was the last match and Schnupp, pulled off the upset to win it all. Extremely unlikely scenario but...

Just to be clear, Cael nor Tom do not need to agree to a weight or a random draw, which, based on history is what will happen, which means they will start at 125.

Just to be clear, Cael nor Tom do not need to agree to a weight or a random draw, which, based on history is what will happen, which means they will start at 125.
Maybe I am misinterpreting what you typed, but I think you are wrong. They BOTH have to agree to start at 125 (or any other weight). If either coach wants a random draw, they draw. I think,

Reactions: Hartzie and psumacw
Maybe I am misinterpreting what you typed, but I think you are wrong. They BOTH have to agree to start at 125 (or any other weight). If either coach wants a random draw, they draw. I think,

Correct.

only draw if they don’t agree on a weight. Even starting at 125 is agreeing to a weight.

Reactions: aalion
I this instance I don't see Tan Tom agreeing to the traditional start, like it or not, it represents pretty much the worst scenario for tOSU.

Thanks for the correction. That said, I'm surprised so many matches start at 125 with that being the case.

Why start anywhere else? In high school it’s so people stay for heavyweights right?

Since no one really bumps the lineups to win duals in college, is the only advantage a later start for a wrestler trying to make weight?

I know that Cael likes to start at 125. Most of the time I think it makes no difference, but this is one match where I think it could actually potentially make a difference and it might help us to start with a random draw. Starting at 125, they might win the first four matches, giving them momentum and getting the home crowd fired up. Then their upper weight guys would just stall their asses off to avoid bonus points, except Martin of course. Cael probably doesn't care, but I wish he'd go random draw.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7Springs
Just putting this out there ahead of time. I have trademarked the term TanT(r)om and various derivatives for use in describing less-than-calm behavior from the OSU coaches area this evening.
tenor.gif

I wonder if Schnupp pulls out a victory would Cael be more likely to sit RBY if he is on the fence?
I do believe we should not be shocked if Schnupp wins. A true freshman, similar in stature and Schnupp has a Lion's heart so well will see.

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT