ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State vs Kent State Threadstravaganza

I hope Givens is ok, but I know Franklin won't talk about injuries. I thought we'd see more of the back-up RBs and I don't like to see the QB carry the ball that much. Overall, I'll take it.

Givens looked to have a cramp.

What about Evan Schwan?

We found a guard adios Dowrey and crew. Mcgovern played great there. I would like to see more ormations and spread of this defense out disappointing with Moorhead there. Where is JJ and Charles? Polk?
I,m thinking some of the offense is still pending so sPitt doesnt see too much

All i can say is we hope this was a great defense. I saw 8/9 in the box and a PSU offense that still didn't know what to do. No screens, dump offs, bubble screens etc. So either Moorhead was holding back or this is the offense and color me as less than impressed. How can you guys be happy did you see UM and OSU today? Phenomenal simply outstanding.

Team can beat Pitt not a given, should beat Temple. Michigan will crush us. Go from there.

Northwestern just lost to a MAC team today @home. Miss State lost to South Alabama. Both received points in the Preseason Coaches Poll. #9 Tennessee beat DI-AA App State by 7 points, only scored 20 points and only put 319 yards of Total Offense.

BTW genius, your incredibly awesome ASWP Pittiots put up only 261 yards of Total Offense against DI-AA Villanova today and their awesome, incredible OL enabled precisely 86 Rushing Yards on 34 attempts (2.5 ypc).....IOW, a far more putrid offensive performance than PSU especially considering that ASWP was playing a DI-AA opponent!

HERE IS THE BOXSCORE.

Northwestern just lost to a MAC team today @home. Miss State lost to South Alabama. Both received points in the Preseason Coaches Poll. #9 Tennessee beat DI-AA App State by 7 points, only scored 20 points and only put 319 yards of Total Offense.

BTW genius, your incredibly awesome ASWP Pittiots put up only 261 yards of Total Offense against DI-AA Villanova today and their awesome, incredible OL enabled precisely 86 Rushing Yards on 34 attempts (2.5 ypc).....IOW, a far more putrid offensive performance than PSU especially considering that ASWP was playing a DI-AA opponent!

HERE IS THE BOXSCORE.
Not that it matters here, but App ST is D1 FBS now.

HERE IS THE BOXSCORE.
Not for nothing, Pitt was very vanilla today, as I'm sure PSU was. Keep the fun stuff off the tape.

Not for nothing, Pitt was very vanilla today, as I'm sure PSU was. Keep the fun stuff off the tape.

But with their phenomenal OLine we've heard so much about and their unbelievably stellar stable of running backs, they should have been able to hand the ball off all day and rack up 300+ yards on the ground against a D-1AA opponent. But that didn't happen, not even close.

Regardless of vanilla or not it is shocking Pitt couldn't man handle Nova with even basic plays. PSU has issues namely load the box and they still cant beat you. But Pitt i thought would destroy Nova on the ground.

This thread, like pretty much every "official" game thread, was hugely entertaining. I read all thirteen pages (number of pages at this point), and I got to page 11 or 12 before seeing a positive post. I know it was Kent State, but the Lions won by 20 and it was really the first game for McSorley. Lionking26 was certainly not alone with despairing or hypercritical posts. Reminds me of the Cal board after we beat Hawaii by 20.

Reactions: Sharkies
Regardless of vanilla or not it is shocking Pitt couldn't man handle Nova with even basic plays. PSU has issues namely load the box and they still cant beat you. But Pitt i thought would destroy Nova on the ground.
Did you sign up just to bitch. Hey, don't you comment on any good plays because there were many today. Would have liked the score to be higher but it is an improvement

Of course there were some good plays but highly disappointed jn Moorheads scheme. I saw no tempo that I dont see from all good teams, he didnt knkw how-to out scheme loading the box and eh it was ok. Ill still take the Obrien offense. If he wasnt holding back and this isnthe offense its disappointing.

Of course there were some good plays but highly disappointed jn Moorheads scheme. I saw no tempo that I dont see from all good teams, he didnt knkw how-to out scheme loading the box and eh it was ok. Ill still take the Obrien offense. If he wasnt holding back and this isnthe offense its disappointing.

You saw no tempo that you don't see from all good teams??? WTF? So we're now running tempo like all good teams and that's not a good thing?

And you can't have O'Brien's offense because he left, in case you forgot. It's not like Penn State fired him.

He also had ND much more highly rated than Texas. Need I go on?
Sagarin had ND at No. 16 with an 85 rating and Texas at No. 35 with a 79 rating. Giving Texas 3 points for home field advantage, his model would've predicted a 3 point ND win and instead it was a 3 point Texas win in double overtime.

Doesn't seem like it was very far off.

Sagarin had ND at No. 16 with an 85 rating and Texas at No. 35 with a 79 rating. Giving Texas 3 points for home field advantage, his model would've predicted a 3 point ND win and instead it was a 3 point Texas win in double overtime.

Doesn't seem like it was very far off.

Sigh... I guess I have to go on. Tennessee/Appalachian state? LSU/Wisconsin? South Alabama/Mississippi State? Richmond/Virginia?

Sigh... I guess I have to go on. Tennessee/Appalachian state? LSU/Wisconsin? South Alabama/Mississippi State? Richmond/Virginia?
These are what are called upsets. They happen every week. In statistics,they are what are called "outliers." They are bound to happen when you have so many games.

Your argument seems to be that because there were some upsets, Kent State is better than the model predicted. This is obviously nonsense. The upsets have nothing to do with whether Kent State is worse than Villanova (or Dartmouth for that matter). In fact, every prognosticator in the country has called Kent State the worst team in the MAC.

Maybe Kent State is really good and the model and the prognosticators are wrong. Time will tell. They play Alabama in three weeks. That will give us an indication of how good they are.

Actually, Sagarin had Villanova (134) ranked ahead of KSU (154). They're both behind the University of Pennsylvania (130) but Kent State was also behind Dartmouth (153).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Oh please, Sagarin's algorithm is statistically stupid - it rates a game the same way whether both opponents are DI-AA or DI-A. So a DI-AA team beating another DI-AA team by a wide margin of victory is considered impressive, while ranking a FBS team losing to another FBS team a bad thing relative to that FCS team's win over another FCS team.

For instance, KSU beat UMass last year and UMass moves from DI-AA to DI-A in 2012. Another great for instance is the fact that Villanova has lost to every FBS opponent they've played over the past 5 seasons (they play one per year for the payday) and they lost to bad FBS programs:
  • Lost to a bad UConn (6-7) team last year
  • Lost to a putrid SorryExcuse (3-9) team in 2014
  • Lost to a 6-loss BC team in 2013
  • Lost to a putrid 4-7 Temple team in 2012
  • Lost to Temple in 2011.
They lost this year to ASWP. Meanwhile, KSU has hammered the DI-AA teams they've played over the past 5 years going 5-0 against DI-AA opponents over the span. In fact, over the past 5 years KSU has recorded 20 more wins over FBS opponents - Villanova has recorded ZERO wins against FBS teams over the span, going 0-6 versus FBS over the span including this year's loss to ASWP. There is nothing in the legitimate stats that points to Villanova being a better team than KSU by recording 6-5, 11-3, 6-5, 8-4 and 2-9 records against FCS opponents over the past 5 years (again, one of the losses in each year was to a bad FBS team). Just because a quack makes a ridiculous claim doesn't make it so!

Last edited:
Reactions: doofis
Hey, Bushy, can you point me to a model that has KSU ahead of Villanova?

And you probably know that the loss to CONN was by five points at Conn and the loss to Syracuse was by one point in Syracuse in double overtime and all the games against 1-A are on the road (what's PSU's record against 1-A teams on the road the last two years?). But Villanova did beat Fordham, which as we all know beat Army!

These are what are called upsets. They happen every week. In statistics,they are what are called "outliers." They are bound to happen when you have so many games.

Your argument seems to be that because there were some upsets, Kent State is better than the model predicted. This is obviously nonsense. The upsets have nothing to do with whether Kent State is worse than Villanova (or Dartmouth for that matter). In fact, every prognosticator in the country has called Kent State the worst team in the MAC.

Maybe Kent State is really good and the model and the prognosticators are wrong. Time will tell. They play Alabama in three weeks. That will give us an indication of how good they are.

So you are basically saying that it's an outlier of it doesn't fit your agenda, otherwise the model is spot on? This is obviously nonsense.

Hey, Bushy, can you point me to a model that has KSU ahead of Villanova?

And you probably know that the loss to CONN was by five points at Conn and the loss to Syracuse was by one point in Syracuse in double overtime and all the games against 1-A are on the road (what's PSU's record against 1-A teams on the road the last two years?). But Villanova did beat Fordham, which as we all know beat Army!

Hey dip$hit "Mr. Outlier", Villanova is 0-6 versus FBS teams over the past 5 seasons and their first game this year - their record over the past 5-years against inferior FCS teams is extremely middling 33-21?!?! KSU's record against FCS teams over the same span is 5-0 and they have recorded 20 wins against FBS teams (you know, the Division that Villanova is 0-6 against over the past 5 seasons and this weekends game against ASWP with virtually all of the losses coming to really bad FBS teams). Only a jackass who knows nothing about appropriate statistical testing of "like" games would make the claim that DI-AA Villanova is better than KSU -- there is ZERO legitimate statistical evidence to support that claim and quite to the contrary, 100% of the available actual statistical evidence suggests that Villanova would lose to KSU if they played!

So you are basically saying that it's an outlier of it doesn't fit your agenda, otherwise the model is spot on? This is obviously nonsense.

Well, good to know that idiot-boy is clearly an ASWP fan on top of all his other douchey-ness.... Only a moron would call it an "outlier" when his supposedly predictive model gets 40% of the Top 5 and 33% of the Top 10 wrong and not just wrong, but way wrong as a couple of the teams were ranked double-digits behind the Top-Ranked team that was supposed to beat them! Beyond that, Sagarin's model fails to show "predictive accuracy" via accepted statistical tests (i.e., "t-tests") EVERY WEEK - not even close to being "predictive" and not all that much better than a coin-flip when the teams are ranked within 20 places of one another!

Oh please, Sagarin's algorithm is statistically stupid - it rates a game the same way whether both opponents are DI-AA or DI-A. So a DI-AA team beating another DI-AA team by a wide margin of victory is considered impressive, while ranking a FBS team losing to another FBS team a bad thing relative to that FCS team's win over another FCS team.

For instance, KSU beat UMass last year and UMass moves from DI-AA to DI-A in 2012. Another great for instance is the fact that Villanova has lost to every FBS opponent they've played over the past 5 seasons (they play one per year for the payday) and they lost to bad FBS programs:
  • Lost to a bad UConn (6-7) team last year
  • Lost to a putrid SorryExcuse (3-9) team in 2014
  • Lost to a 6-loss BC team in 2013
  • Lost to a putrid 4-7 Temple team in 2012
  • Lost to Temple in 2011.
They lost this year to ASWP. Meanwhile, KSU has hammered the DI-AA teams they've played over the past 5 years going 5-0 against DI-AA opponents over the span. In fact, over the past 5 years KSU has recorded 20 more wins over FBS opponents - Villanova has recorded ZERO wins against FBS teams over the span, going 0-6 versus FBS over the span including this year's loss to ASWP. There is nothing in the legitimate stats that points to Villanova being a better team than KSU by recording 6-5, 11-3, 6-5, 8-4 and 2-9 records against FCS opponents over the past 5 years (again, one of the losses in each year was to a bad FBS team). Just because a quack makes a ridiculous claim doesn't make it so!

Kent State vs. Delaware State last season... Del. State ended up w -33 yards total offense.

Hey dip$hit "Mr. Outlier", Villanova is 0-6 versus FBS teams over the past 5 seasons and their first game this year - their record over the past 5-years against inferior FCS teams is extremely middling 33-21?!?! KSU's record against FCS teams over the same span is 5-0 and they have recorded 20 wins against FBS teams (you know, the Division that Villanova is 0-6 against over the past 5 seasons and this weekends game against ASWP with virtually all of the losses coming to really bad FBS teams). Only a jackass who knows nothing about appropriate statistical testing of "like" games would make the claim that DI-AA Villanova is better than KSU -- there is ZERO legitimate statistical evidence to support that claim and quite to the contrary, 100% of the available actual statistical evidence suggests that Villanova would lose to KSU if they played!

Why doesn't Sagarin include Division II teams and their past performance against other Division II teams in his system??? It has just as much legitimacy as including DI-AA teams who play all but one of their games against other DI-AA teams and lose 100% of the time in the one game they play against FBS competition! LMFAO that you think comparing a DI-AA team's success against other DI-AA teams has any statistical relevance whatsoever to a DI-A team playing a DI-A schedule??? You clearly know as much about the statistical testing of "universes" as Sagarin, which is absolutely nothing.

Reactions: biacto
Why doesn't Sagarin include Division II teams and their past performance against other Division II teams in his system??? It has just as much legitimacy as including DI-AA teams who play all but one of their games against other DI-AA teams and lose 100% of the time in the one game they play against FBS competition! LMFAO that you think comparing a DI-AA team's success against other DI-AA teams has any statistical relevance whatsoever to a DI-A team playing a DI-A schedule??? You clearly know as much about the statistical testing of "universes" as Sagarin, which is absolutely nothing.

While he's at it, Jeff should throw D-III and all the NAIA levels into his "crap-in, crap-out" model.... Should probably throw the USAToday Top 25 High School teams in as well - they're really, really, really good football teams - don't you know???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT