ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State’s finest offensive and defensive player of the ‘60s

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
In thinking about which offensive and defensive player was the best at Penn State for the current and each of the previous five decades, rather than group them as one long jumbled thread, I thought I post them individually. Should you base it on one superlative season or their college career? So who is your choice as Penn State’s best offensive and defensive player during the ‘60s?

O: I think two of our finest offensive players were Ted Kwalick and Glenn Ressler. Ressler won the Maxwell Award as the finest player in the country and Kwalick was a two-time All-American. Joe said of Kwalick, “That’s what God had in mind when he created a football player.” Tough call.

D: Do you go with Mike Reid who won the Outland and the Maxwell Award or Dennis Onkotz, a three time All-American who actually returned punts and the starter of what would go to become Linebacker U? Another tough call.

Reactions: Option Bob
Offense: Kwalick is a great choice, but I am leaning toward 3-year starter RB Charlie Pittman. But, it is tough not to second the choice of Kwalick.

Defense: I am among the more vociferous backers that Dennis Onkotz is the great LB of all time, but I have to go with my all-time #1: Mike Reid

Offense: Kwalick is a great choice, but I am leaning toward 3-year starter RB Charlie Pittman. But, it is tough not to second the choice of Kwalick.

Defense: I am among the more vociferous backers that Dennis Onkotz is the great LB of all time, but I have to go with my all-time #1: Mike Reid

Mike Reid no question and no argurment. Reid made Onkotz and his fellow LB Jim Kates into great players. He an Steve Smear had the task to keep the OL off the LBs. They not only succeeded but destroyed opposing offrnses. Onkotz was absolutely great but Mike Reid was in a league alone.

Offense, Bobby Campbell (if he had not been injured), Kwalick (first of the modern tight ends) and Charlie Pittman are all a tossup.

Mike Reid is not only the #1 defensive player of the 60s... IMHO, he's the greatest PSU player of all time. He is the foundation of modern PSU football.

Dave Robinson is #2 defensive player in the 60s.

Mike Reid is not only the #1 defensive player of the 60s... IMHO, he's the greatest PSU player of all time. He is the foundation of modern PSU football.

Dave Robinson is #2 defensive player in the 60s.

I didn't want to express it that way but you are correct.

Reactions: psu1969a
In my mind, Mike Reid is not only Penn State's best defensive player of the 1960s, but you could also make a case for him being the school's best defensive player of all time. Which is saying a lot I realize.

The case I'm talking about involves a lot of factors: that he was an All-American, a dominating presence on the D-line for two years, and the best defensive lineman in the country for one of those years; that he was the superstar, best player on the first signature defense of Penn State' first great team of the Paterno era; that he starred in the NFL for several years before retiring early on his own terms; that his amazing talents extended far beyond football; and that he was arguably the prototype of the kind of citizen, student, athlete and player that came to define Penn State under Paterno.

One memory I'll never forget: 1968 Orange Bowl against Kansas, Penn State down a touchdown late in the game, Kansas has the ball and basically needs just one first down to secure the W, Reid is absolutely unblockable during that series and gets into the Kansas backfield so quick that it seems impossible. Kansas has to kick, and Joe ends up getting his first bowl win in an amazing finish.

In my mind, Mike Reid is not only Penn State's best defensive player of the 1960s, but you could also make a case for him being the school's best defensive player of all time. Which is saying a lot I realize.

The case I'm talking about involves a lot of factors: that he was an All-American, a dominating presence on the D-line for two years, and the best defensive lineman in the country for one of those years; that he was the superstar, best player on the first signature defense of Penn State' first great team of the Paterno era; that he starred in the NFL for several years before retiring early on his own terms; that his amazing talents extended far beyond football; and that he was arguably the prototype of the kind of citizen, student, athlete and player that came to define Penn State under Paterno.

One memory I'll never forget: 1968 Orange Bowl against Kansas, Penn State down a touchdown late in the game, Kansas has the ball and basically needs just one first down to secure the W, Reid is absolutely unblockable during that series and gets into the Kansas backfield so quick that it seems impossible. Kansas has to kick, and Joe ends up getting his first bowl win in an amazing finish.
My memory is tha sophpmore Jack Ham stopprf John Riggins on 3rd down but you are right about Reid. People now just don't know how great he was and how important to the program.

Reactions: We Are . . .

I was at the 68 Orange Bowl. Reid took over the game in the 4th quarter. He was in on every play. Unbelievable performance.

In thinking about which offensive and defensive player was the best at Penn State for the current and each of the previous five decades, rather than group them as one long jumbled thread, I thought I post them individually. Should you base it on one superlative season or their college career? So who is your choice as Penn State’s best offensive and defensive player during the ‘60s?

O: I think two of our finest offensive players were Ted Kwalick and Glenn Ressler. Ressler won the Maxwell Award as the finest player in the country and Kwalick was a two-time All-American. Joe said of Kwalick, “That’s what God had in mind when he created a football player.” Tough call.

D: Do you go with Mike Reid who won the Outland and the Maxwell Award or Dennis Onkotz, a three time All-American who actually returned punts and the starter of what would go to become Linebacker U? Another tough call.
O - Ted Kwalick
D - Mike Reid with Dennis Onkotz a close second

O - Ted Kwalick
D - Mike Reid with Dennis Onkotz a close second

Agree regarding Kwalick on offense. The only competition might be Glenn Ressler earlier in the decade. He was one of a kind.

As for Onkotz, agree there too. He was a fantastic player and probably even better than Reid in 1968, Orange Bowl aside. I give it to Reid on the strength of the factors I mentioned in my first post and because of his incredible, dominant season in 1969.

Reactions: psu1969a
Mike Reid no question and no argurment. Reid made Onkotz and his fellow LB Jim Kates into great players. He an Steve Smear had the task to keep the OL off the LBs. They not only succeeded but destroyed opposing offrnses. Onkotz was absolutely great but Mike Reid was in a league alone.

Offense, Bobby Campbell (if he had not been injured), Kwalick (first of the modern tight ends) and Charlie Pittman are all a tossup.

I'm with you on this one. Until Barkley, Reid wast he best PSU player I had ever seen. Few know/remember what a talent Campbell was but when healthy he was a classic playmaker.

Reactions: njlion
My memory is tha sophpmore Jack Ham stopprf John Riggins on 3rd down but you are right about Reid. People now just don't know how great he was and how important to the program.

from the team where Reid, and co were sophs to the team where Franco and Lydell were seniors was a run of talent that was among the best in college football - although never go a MNC by the AP. alot of future NFL stars from those teams. hard to pick who was the best but these were the foundation of the PSU teams that finally won MNC.

There have a lot of great players for PSU, but must say my vote for best in the 60 are Reid and Pitman. Both were all-americans in 1969.

There have a lot of great players for PSU, but must say my vote for best in the 60 are Reid and Pitman. Both were all-americans in 1969.
Reid, Pittman, Onkotz, Kates, Kwalick, Smear, Ham, Franco, Lydell, Hufnagle--all played as sophomores, so how did JoePa get this reputation of playing only seniors?

Reid, Pittman, Onkotz, Kates, Kwalick, Smear, Ham, Franco, Lydell, Hufnagle--all played as sophomores, so how did JoePa get this reputation of playing only seniors?

There were some exceptions such as Reid. Pittman?..nope Campbell went down against UCLA. Hufnagle was the third quarterback to start in '70, after Cooper and Parsons. The famed guys from the 44 defense (Onkotz, Kates et al) were the only ones who practiced the 44 as freshmen. Joe was very dependent on upper classmen because they tend to make fewer mistakes

Campbell was a very under-rated back among the lists of PSU greats at the position' He missed most of his Jr. year with a knee and some of his Sr. yr. with a seperated shoulder iirc. A great broken field runner who also punted and could throw the option pass. His injuries enabled the emergence of Charlie Pittman

How about a shout out to my old coach, Bernie Sabol. A guard-lb in the Rip Engle era when it was a man's game!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT