ADVERTISEMENT

PD3 to Iowa

the kid is realz...ill give him that. There is no Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with him.

brands (another AC/DC tune) have big balls!
We'll see if "look at us" is a good strategy here. I don't doubt that Jr has the underlying intelligence, and part of me has always felt that the SM presence was a rational promotion effort, but there was an element (looking at timing and content) that suggests it was either out of control or not well thought-out.

It's a gamble. HawkNation feels they're on a roll, so I don't understand rolling the dice here to break any real or perceived mo. With that said, I think it won't hurt them when it plays out.

Downey will never make it on the team. He'll either blow it academically before the spring semester or have a disciplinary issue while he's at the HWC before then. Yawn.

Reactions: andegre
Downey will never make it on the team. He'll either blow it academically before the spring semester or have a disciplinary issue while he's at the HWC before then. Yawn.
I don't know... Brands was willing to overlook ALOT to let him on the team. If he is academically eligible, I can see him overlooking a lot more for a chance at a championship at 184.

I don't know... Brands was willing to overlook ALOT to let him on the team. If he is academically eligible, I can see him overlooking a lot more for a chance at a championship at 184.

I'll take "The Ginger" for a thousand Alex.

I hope it works out. Risky move to me, somewhat limited by half-a-season of wrestling. No one can predict how this will play out, though there's no question from me who's in charge, and that's TnT.

I predict Spencer Lee gets tired of the clown show and transfers to Rutgers. The Big 10 grants him an immediate waiver because they instantly believe PD3=Hardship.

I would sign one of those online petitions to free Lee, if that happens. :eek::D:oops::rolleyes:

Reactions: Dogwelder
You make it sound like Brands is going to let Downey run the show. Me thinks otherwise
I think his definition of "running the show" will be very pragmatic and loose reins. Bringing in PDIII is about the exact opposite of the kind of guys he said he wanted in the Kemerer article.

Last edited:
I think his definition of "running the show" will be very pragmatic and loose reins. Bringing in PDIII is about the exact opposite of the kind of guys he wanted in the Kemerer article.
I believe you're way, way off base. They have a decent outlook in that program, and he's not going to risk much of that.

Now it's time for the mental gymnastics HR will do to explain why Cael is a horrible person for giving Andrew Long a second chance and the Brands Bros are heroes.

Reactions: diggerpup
I wonder where the line is for staying in good standing. Seems pretty obvious that if he gets in any legal trouble that he's probably done. Do they look away from the occasional tweet that he was better off not tweeting? If so I think he can do just enough to get through the season.

I believe you're way, way off base. They have a decent outlook in that program, and he's not going to risk much of that.

We can agree to disagree. PDIII will now forever be known as a Hawkeye. Any misstep he takes from now on will be associated with the Hawks. He may very well last through the end of March before he screws up. But once the season is done and the restrictions carry no weight, he will most likely screw up. I see it very similar to the Andrew Long situation, but TNT are ignoring way more red flags than Cael had.

We can agree to disagree. PDIII will now forever be known as a Hawkeye. Any misstep he takes from now on will be associated with the Hawks. He may very well last through the end of March before he screws up. But once the season is done and the restrictions carry no weight, he will most likely screw up. I see it very similar to the Andrew Long situation, but TNT are ignoring way more red flags than Cael had.

Hawks Badly want to finish 4th this year with Pat Clowney instead of 5th without.

Now it's time for the mental gymnastics HR will do to explain why Cael is a horrible person for giving Andrew Long a second chance and the Brands Bros are heroes.
Probably depends on how it works out. If TnT keep him on the straight and narrow, won't take many cartwheels to justify. If not, well, then the two would be equivalent.

You really just want Iowa to drop off the map don't you? You are being pretty hard on a top tier program.
No, the opposite actually. I think that if they stuck with recruiting the quality kids they have been getting, in the long run they would be much better off. They had the opportunity to build in having Spencer, Kem, The Bull and create a ton of positive excitement around hardworking good kids. Instead, all the buzz around IA lately is PDIII... I think it is a big step backwards.

Penn State 1989 u say "TNT are ignoring way more red flags than Cael had".
Please explain to me how that is so...Long had been arrested for being drunk and assaulting a officer..He was told by his coach to go get help for his drinking and then could be back on the team. Seems like a big red flag to me.
As for PD111 I don't agree or like the chance that they are taking either. All we can do is wait and see..Like we found out about Long even with help some just can not be honest with them selves and just fail such is life and is a very sad thing. Only way for it to work is the person has to work at it hard and do it for himself not for any one else. Sadly to say it took me almost 20 years to realize this and today have 39 years of soberity but still only one drink from a drunk have to still go one day at a time,,So lets hope some good can come out of this peace be with us all...

to have your worst team after a decade at the preeminent school in your sport is a problem. no two ways around it.
But, but, but, it's the best lightweight room in the country...

So they say. They just don't have a lot to back it up.

No, the opposite actually. I think that if they stuck with recruiting the quality kids they have been getting, in the long run they would be much better off. They had the opportunity to build in having Spencer, Kem, The Bull and create a ton of positive excitement around hardworking good kids. Instead, all the buzz around IA lately is PDIII... I think it is a big step backwards.
So the opportunity to build with those guys went away all of a sudden? If Downey makes it to the Iowa room i promise you he will be working hard. Also how do you know what the buzz is in Iowa City from your chair in Pennsylvania? That would be like me telling you the dirt on Suriano, in State college, from my seat in Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT