ADVERTISEMENT

Patience will be required

MacNit7

Aug 22, 2015
- Talent on Offensive Line will take another 1-2 years to develop
- Same with depth overall because of sanctions

After year #3, if still middling, then it will be a better time to judge Franklin, et al.

- Talent on Offensive Line will take another 1-2 years to develop
- Same with depth overall because of sanctions
After year #3, if still middling, then it will be a better time to judge Franklin, et al.
And "patients" is what the emergency rooms will be filled with if there is another disaster this Saturday like last. I was talking by telephone to a friend today and I literally had to tell him to take a deep breath and calm down. He was acting like the end of the world was near. I told him "Bob, it's just a damn football game" but he was absolutely sure we would go into Ohio State 6-0 and then find a way to beat the Buckeyes. The loss, to Temple, in a blowout, has given him a dose of reality. Now, he's totally off the deep end in predicting a 1 win season. I hope, for the sake of my friend, and others like him, Franklin can turn this around and give them some hope. 7-5 would probably be enough. We'll see.

I've done enough time wasting figuring out our historic loss to Temple, but it got me to thinking. Most programs have probably had a lull after replacing a solid long-time coach (sanctions not withstanding).

Where was Bama after Bryant and Gene Stallings? Where has Michigan been post Mueller? Syracuse after Pasquoloni. WVU after Nieland took a few years to work the kinks out. Florida after Spurrier hired Ron Zook. Notre Dame after Holtz. Kansas State after Bill Snyder (part1)?

These things take time to sort out I guess. Let's hope Franklin is capable of putting things back together.

I've done enough time wasting figuring out our historic loss to Temple, but it got me to thinking. Most programs have probably had a lull after replacing a solid long-time coach (sanctions not withstanding).
Where was Bama after Bryant and Gene Stallings? Where has Michigan been post Mueller? Syracuse after Pasquoloni. WVU after Nieland took a few years to work the kinks out. Florida after Spurrier hired Ron Zook. Notre Dame after Holtz. Kansas State after Bill Snyder (part1)?
These things take time to sort out I guess. Let's hope Franklin is capable of putting things back together.
The friend I was talking to this morning said the loss bothered him less than the abysmal play and coaching. Deep down he felt we might lose, maybe 17-14 on a last minute field goal. He never envisioned a blow out in what he described as "a candy ass effort".

Maybe we were too over confident. They've been sold that dominate the state and we are better lines to death. Thought we could just show up all vanilla and win the game because it was Temple.

The friend I was talking to this morning said the loss bothered him less than the abysmal play and coaching. Deep down he felt we might lose, maybe 17-14 on a last minute field goal. He never envisioned a blow out in what he described as "a candy ass effort".

See Joe and The "Alley" Thread.

Your sense of football history is a little out of whack. Lloyd Carr came after Gary Moeller and Rodriguez succeeded Nehlen. But in each of the cases you cited, the programs had to go through one or more coaching changes before getting the ship righted, a some of them are still works in progress. So the question really should be not if Franklin is capable of fixing the problems, but whether he's the source.

Reactions: tgar and Marshall30
And "patients" is what the emergency rooms will be filled with if there is another disaster this Saturday like last. I was talking by telephone to a friend today and I literally had to tell him to take a deep breath and calm down. He was acting like the end of the world was near. I told him "Bob, it's just a damn football game" but he was absolutely sure we would go into Ohio State 6-0 and then find a way to beat the Buckeyes. The loss, to Temple, in a blowout, has given him a dose of reality. Now, he's totally off the deep end in predicting a 1 win season. I hope, for the sake of my friend, and others like him, Franklin can turn this around and give them some hope. 7-5 would probably be enough. We'll see.
7-5 would be a disappointment. Careful not to lower the bar because of this abomination. Going into this season, given what we were going to put on the field as a product, and with this schedule, nearly nobody predicted anything worse than 8-4.

Bob and I have a lot in common. I don't see how they could possibly win by 20 points over anyone. I will ecstatic with first down at this point. Hands down one of the worst coaching efforts I have ever seen. All this talk of a new offensive coordinator... But I say it's time for the head coach to take the reigns and straighten this thing out himself.

Reactions: fairgambit
7-5 would be a disappointment. Careful not to lower the bar because of this abomination. Going into this season, given what we were going to put on the field as a product, and with this schedule, nearly nobody predicted anything worse than 8-4.
I was at 9-3 before the season, but after what I saw Saturday, I just can't see more than 7 wins. We'll know at lot more after Rutgers in 2 weeks.

Your sense of football history is a little out of whack. Lloyd Carr came after Gary Moeller and Rodriguez succeeded Nehlen. But in each of the cases you cited, the programs had to go through one or more coaching changes before getting the ship righted, a some of them are still works in progress. So the question really should be not if Franklin is capable of fixing the problems, but whether he's the source.
I vote source (though hope I am wrong). I really don't see any player development and the O schemes seem laughable

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT