ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Chambers Stepping Down

We weren't anywhere close to the bubble. We weren't the 8th ranked team in the country any more (or wherever we peaked), but we were going to be a 6ish seed in the dance.

I'm sorry to see him go because I'm not ready for the inevitable dumpster fire that the next few seasons will become (this coming year will likely be the best we see for a while).

At the time they stopped play, yes, we were about a 6-seed. 2-3 weeks before that we were a 2-seed. That is trending down. And an 8-9 seed in a P5 conference is near the bubble.

No, but I do know someone who is pretty well plugged into the lobbying scene in Harrisburg and her assessment of PSU's efforts and results is less than glowing.

As for DC, I wouldn't know.
But my comment wasn’t necessarily about your statement on PSU’s lobbyists, but the “low bar” comment which included the entire industry. But, regardless, your opinion 0n anything no longer matters to me, so I’m done commenting.

I was there for Reaves senior night. He couldn't stop hugging Chambers. He said his four years at Penn State were the best four years of his life.

Reaves had plenty of options. He was a four-star player that had offers from schools like Villanova, Maryland, Georgetown, etc. But he chose Penn State and he hasn’t regretted it for a second –– his tweet from 2014 announcing his commitment is still pinned to the top of his profile.
“I couldn’t imagine myself playing at another school,” Reaves said while trying his hardest to fight back tears at mid-court after the game. “This is the best four years of my life. I just love this place so much.”
Reaves had more than a handful of family members in attendance for his final home game, but there’s one in particular that rarely missed a home game over the course of his career –– his mother, Liset.
Even though he’s dialed into every game, he knows he can look up and see his mom sitting in the same seat.
“My mom drives four hours to every game no matter whether it’s at 12, 7 or 8 o’clock she’ll be there,” Reaves said. “Unfortunately, I can still hear her. Just knowing that she’s there is comforting.”
It’s been 1,212 days since scored his first points in a Penn State uniform.
Reaves intercepted a pass on the first defensive possession of his career and promptly sprinted down the floor for a dunk in transition. It should have been a sign that we were all going to watch Reaves do that on repeat for four years.
It’s only fitting that his last basket in the BJC was the same as the first –– a transition dunk off a steal.
As soon as the ball went in the hoop and Reaves had claimed his career high in points, Chambers sprinted to the nearest referee to call a timeout and ensure that Reaves got the curtain call he earned.
“This is the way you want all of your seniors to go out,” Chambers said. “What [Reaves] means to this program, what he does for us every single day, what a great ambassador for Penn State basketball, and we've got a lot more games to go here.”
While Chambers has certainly earned the right to feel confident that his team can win a few games at the Big Ten Tournament, the only game that’s guaranteed for Reaves and the rest of the Nittany Lions is the next one.
No matter who it’s against, Reaves will almost certainly find himself open on the perimeter. And just like he did as a freshman, he’ll keep shooting.
I know of reaves very well, he's one of my favorite PSU hoopers to watch. I was pretty big on him when he first came out of Oak Hill. That being said, official tweets mentioned that he, specifically, was interviewed as part of this probe

If that was the combination that got him fired, he would have been fired several months ago.

I must say that it seems like if you shoved someone and made that comment at your job, you would not be on a long leash.
I have to agree with you, so I’m curious what happened after that. Probably wouldn’t have had to have been much.

A lot of people here appear to have their mind made up that this was a classic case of "pussification" and snowflake culture and whatnot.

If that's the case, can somebody shed light on what the investigation found?

If ever there's a fan base that should appreciate the virtue in waiting for the facts to come out before jumping to conclusions, I'd imagine it would be ours.

Thanks in advance.

(note: I'm not taking any position on the matter, but it does seem as though many have drawn conclusions. I'm just curious on what basis those conclusions are drawn)
I still believe in the premise of innocent until proven guilty. So show me what turned up in the investigation that makes him a bad guy, and I’ll change my mind. But I have a hard time believing that in 2020 this ‘previously unknown allegation’ was that bad and I find it hard to believe an investigation has been ongoing the last however many months without a leak of some serious wrongdoing

I still believe in the premise of innocent until proven guilty. So show me what turned up in the investigation that makes him a bad guy, and I’ll change my mind. But I have a hard time believing that in 2020 this ‘previously unknown allegation’ was that bad and I find it hard to believe an investigation has been ongoing the last however many months without a leak of some serious wrongdoing

But see, even you are suggesting that this was not a justified move. And you're suggesting the burden is on ME to prove to YOU that the investigation yielded bad stuff.

No. I'm not suggesting anything. All I want is for somebody to use evidence to inform their argument.

A lot of people here appear to have their mind made up about this. I find that odd considering it seems as though nobody here knows shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUoh90
a lot of kids did not like Joe while they were at PSU and for some period after they left. With age and wisdom, they grew to understand and appreciate him.

Reactions: Achowalogan
But see, even you are suggesting that this was not a justified move. And you're suggesting the burden is on ME to prove to YOU that the investigation yielded bad stuff.

No. I'm not suggesting anything. All I want is for somebody to use evidence to inform their argument.

A lot of people here appear to have their mind made up about this. I find that odd considering it seems as though nobody here knows shit.
That’s not how the premise of ‘innocent until proven guilty works’

I've spent a moment or two in a courtroom -- I understand the premise ;)

I also understand the value of having evidence to support an argument. And that includes the argument that Pat Chambers was unfairly run out of town.

You have zero evidence to support that. Those who claim he's guilty have zero evidence to support that, either.

Please re-read my posts. I'm taking neither side. I do ask people to back up their arguments with evidence.

So I'll politely ask again. What did the investigation find? Because the way many are responding, you all appear to have that information.

Last edited:
Normally, yes you are correct. As we come upon the anniversary of 11/9/11, we must remember that innocence and due process have nothing to do with the situation. People want heads/sacrificial lambs and they’re darn well going to get one.

Reactions: Achowalogan
I've spent a moment or two in a courtroom -- I understand the premise ;)

I also understand the value of having evidence to support an argument. And that includes the argument that Pat Chambers was unfairly run out of town.

You have zero evidence to support that. Those who claim he's guilty have zero evidence to support that, either.

Please re-read my posts. I'm taking neither side. I do ask people to back up their arguments with something other than rantings about "pussification", though.
The evidence is watching and listening to him for the last decade. In 2020, there are no secrets. I don’t believe that’s some serious incident happened, it was investigated, and they manage to keep it all quiet the entire time. We’ll see, but I’m comfortable giving him the benefit of the doubt until new evidence says otherwise

The evidence is watching and listening to him for the last decade. In 2020, there are no secrets. I don’t believe that’s some serious incident happened, it was investigated, and they manage to keep it all quiet the entire time. We’ll see, but I’m comfortable giving him the benefit of the doubt until new evidence says otherwise

Oh, I don't disagree.......he certainly strikes me as a decent guy. And it's perfectly fine to take a wait-and-see approach. That's where I'm at.

But I'm posing this question to those who are adamant that this is all a bunch of PC, snowflake nonsense. We just don't know that. We can assume based on what we know about Chambers. But we don't know.

CJF faced these allegations not long ago, and the university certainly stood by him. The truth ultimately came out, and it was clear that the allegations were shit. Let's see where this one takes us.

When you are ALL.-KNOWING. o_O like we are, you don’t need to wait for facts.

I've attended hundreds of games while Chambers was the coach. I've don't buy the short fuse.
so you weren't at the game when he shoved a player? That falls under a long fuse? or....it only happened one time? or .....that's acceptable?

Raise your hand if you had a coach from when you started playing a sport until you finished that yelled at you and crossed the line while yelling.....and you survived....

My hand is up.
Did you have a Coach that shoved you?

It's not required by PSU to release every detail to explain why Pat resigned. We know the same amount of details that you know. Obviously, Pat and the administration knew the details and Pat resigned......so why should we not think the proof is in the pudding? I think it's fair to say the administration felt that Pat's actions put them in an untenable situation. You can say that you want all the facts, but be careful what you wish for. If all the facts come to light it might not be a good look for PSU and/or Pat.

so you weren't at the game when he shoved a player? That falls under a long fuse? or....it only happened one time? or .....that's acceptable?

Never said it was acceptable. Losing it one time isn't having a short fuse. Bobby Knight had a short fuse. Chambers not even close.

Purely a guess- this actually was Chamber’s decision. He decided the job wasn’t worth the headache and walked away now knowing he has the connections to get a new job next summer
He ranks highly on Jay W’s list. That should count for something.

At the time they stopped play, yes, we were about a 6-seed. 2-3 weeks before that we were a 2-seed. That is trending down. And an 8-9 seed in a P5 conference is near the bubble.

At the time they stopped play? That was in the B1G tournament. Even if they lost the first game, they were a lock for a 5 or 6 seed. They were nowhere near the bubble. They lost some games because their second leading scorer was out with an illness for a couple weeks. And was just getting back in game shape when the season ended.

Reactions: cjrugger
I think MBB should be killed off. We have no $$$ to pay a new coach after COVID. Put the money into football.

Chambers was at PSU for a number of years. Did this issue with him, whatever it was, exist all that time? If so, how did it not come out earlier and how was nothing done about it earlier? If the issue surfaced more recently, what changed?

Reactions: MacNit07
Chambers was at PSU for a number of years. Did this issue with him, whatever it was, exist all that time? If so, how did it not come out earlier and how was nothing done about it earlier? If the issue surfaced more recently, what changed?
WHat changed is they investigated him and didn’t like what they found out

I think MBB should be killed off. We have no $$$ to pay a new coach after COVID. Put the money into football.
But killing it off would create a negative not a positive. So that would not create more money to put into anything, it would create less.

Raise your hand if you had a coach from when you started playing a sport until you finished that yelled at you and crossed the line while yelling.....and you survived....

My hand is up.

I don't know if it is crossing the line or not, but during a baseball game where we were getting blown out and moping as a team during our at-bat in the dugout, our coach had us look down, reach in the waistband of our pants, and pull it outward. He yelled, "If you have two nuts down there then stop acting like a bunch of f..king pussies!" I found it funny at the time.

Reactions: bison13
I don't know if it is crossing the line or not, but during a baseball game where we were getting blown out and moping as a team during our at-bat in the dugout, our coach had us look down, reach in the waistband of our pants, and pull it outward. He yelled, "If you have two nuts down there then stop acting like a bunch of f..king pussies!" I found it funny at the time.
Really? Funny in a way, yes. Highly inappropriate? Also yes.

Reactions: bison13
Really? Funny in a way, yes. Highly inappropriate? Also yes.
Curious... Why is it highly inappropriate?

This entire board is full of comments and characterizations exactly like this. It part humor and it’s part making a statement that will have impact on the players. Just say “C’mon players, try harder” just doesn’t have the zest and zeal needed to cause change.

Curious... Why is it highly inappropriate?

This entire board is full of comments and characterizations exactly like this. It part humor and it’s part making a statement that will have impact on the players. Just say “C’mon players, try harder” just doesn’t have the zest and zeal needed to cause change.

Life used to be so much cooler.....

I haven’t seen any players comment - would hate to see transfers result
We're going to see transfers - especially with this season being an eligibility mulligan, and the looming change in favor of immediate eligibility for transfers. We're probably also going to see the 2021 commits decide not to sign their LOIs in the fall signing period. Not sure why any recruit who committed to Chambers would decide to lock themselves in knowing that a change is coming in the spring.

Fyi. The pennstatehoops.com site is shut down.

I doubt that any players will leave this year, but almosy definitely some will leave after the season. the recruiting classes will all bail.

Reactions: manatree

I doubt that any players will leave this year, but almosy definitely some will leave after the season. the recruiting classes will all bail.
If Chambers’ treatment of the players was so bad they had to fire him, I would think the players would definitely want to stay now that he’s gone.

It's a sad, sad day. I had been a part of that community for 20 years now... it was unlike any other online sports community that I have been part of. I guess that is 2020 for ya

Some will leave because he's gone. Some will leave for greener pastures. Some will leave due to uncertainty with who the next coach will be. Some may not like State College/PSU and use this opportunity to transfer. Regardless, some of the best young players will leave.

Del Wilson has been eerily quiet since this all came down. He is probably just too busy right now to go on online message boards and post about it, but I am really interested in his thoughts on the matter

Pat certainly got a settlement. I'm guessing he will be paid for this season. After all PSU, sh*ts money..

There was that, and also that he recruited some of the best players we ever had and could not really do anything with them. Zero NCAA tournaments. He probably would have had one in 2020, but that team was also trending down towards the bubble. I don't know what they found but I am not sorry to see him go at this point. And I was a person who was totally on board after he had that good recruiting class in 2015 or 2016

that is some hilarious revisionist history. Penn State was in the first 25 in the tourney last year. ESPN had them as the dark horse to win it all. No need to make stuff up.

Reactions: psuguy43
that is some hilarious revisionist history. Penn State was in the first 25 in the tourney last year. ESPN had them as the dark horse to win it all. No need to make stuff up.
so you imply that Pat was about to make a run at a national title, but I'm the one engaging in "revisionist history"?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT