ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Chambers Stepping Down

d9777074a9c2e3c31d69ac8543642aca.gif

Rick Pitino! Is it too soon? Need to make a splash because the on court team won't be very good for a few years.

Guessing something related to the incident reported earlier this year....maybe worse than initially reported? Pat seemed like a good dude; shame.

Talk in the den about an internal investigation happening for the past few months revolving around treatment of players.

Reactions: BBrown
David Jones (everyone's favorite next to Geiger) just tweeted hat it is in reference to an internal investigation which may focus around mistreatment of athletes.

Why is it so difficult to treat people properly? This happens so often that it just reinforces my belief that humans are just terrible.

There isn't a good excuse; when the first allegations of mistreatment came out concerning the use of an inappropriate phrase ('removing the noose around your neck' or something similar...) I thought, that seems like a bit of an overreaction - it's a pretty common phrase for the circumstance (noting the negative cultural connotation it has can be lost in translation). So, I thought he made a simple faux pas and thus believed a pass was in order. But, if he's resigning, could be there is a lot more to this that is much worse. Can't make a judgment now without hearing everything - and there were several players who came to his defense. That said, it's a high pressure sport/job and people think Bobby Knight is a hero. 😬

Jim Ferry named interim coach so they won’t be making any hires in the near term. Let’s see if anyone transfers which wouldn’t make sense if he mistreated players. But will be interesting to see nonetheless.

Basically, you can write the epitaph for the basketball program.

Maybe people would be nicer if their livelihoods weren't attached to their team winning an losing! I am not saying what he may have done is OK, although I do think the world needs to be a little tougher, but what I am saying is sometimes you might get a little tougher when you might lose your house.....I am pretty sure if you are over 40 years old you had a coach that wasn't the nicest guy in the world and probably said some really mean things.

I'd have fired him years ago because his X's and O's were horrible......

People sitting on a message board thinks he is a good guy when he really isn’t.
How do you know he's not a good guy? None of us knows but we do know that several players came to Chambers' defense after Bolton's claim.

PSU will never release the details of the investigation so we'll probably never know the whole story. I just hope it's not simply because of Chamber's comment about wanting to remove the noose from Bolton's neck. That sounds like political correctness gone amuck to me.

Now go get a high end coach please. I'm guessing that @Erial_Lion could give PSU a solid list off the top of his head.
Weird timing...normally, this would be an awful time to be looking, but the coaching carousel never really happened this year due to COVID. Plus, $ being tight right now could really negatively hurt this search.

If we do decide to play ball right now, I’d expect a John Becker/James Jones/Ben Jacobson type (some recent success at a mid-major). Or maybe an Amaker that also has the experience (though not a successful one) at a bigger school. (edit - forgot probably by favorite option, Johnny Dawkins).

Last edited:
How do you know he's not a good guy? None of us knows but we do know that several players came to Chambers' defense after Bolton's claim.

PSU will never release the details of the investigation so we'll probably never know the whole story. I just hope it's not simply because of Chamber's comment about wanting to remove the noose from Bolton's neck. That sounds like political correctness gone amuck to me.

If that was it, he resigned back then. New allegations have come up.

Weird timing...normally, this would be an awful time to be looking, but the coaching carousel never really happened this year due to COVID. Plus, $ being tight right now could really negatively hurt this search.

If we do decide to play ball right now, I’d expect a John Becker/James Jones/Ben Jacobson type (some recent success at a mid-major). Or maybe an Amaker that also has the experience (though not a successful one) at a bigger school.

who’s Altoona High School coach??

Tough being a coach in today's woke culture. Any negativity toward a player can be construed as mistreatment. The days of a coach grabbing you and screaming "your killing me out there" are over. With the NCAA allowing so much free movement now the kids now how to play the game. Everyone player in college is being held back from the NBA by a coach that doesn't see their potential correctly.

Maybe Chambers is a bad guy maybe he isn't but today's cancel culture is an additional hurdle to navigate.

Tough being a coach in today's woke culture. Any negativity toward a player can be construed as mistreatment. The days of a coach grabbing you and screaming "your killing me out there" are over. With the NCAA allowing so much free movement now the kids now how to play the game. Everyone player in college is being held back from the NBA by a coach that doesn't see their potential correctly.

Maybe Chambers is a bad guy maybe he isn't but today's cancel culture is an additional hurdle to navigate.

Really good post, and I don't want to prejudge here, it is possible that chambers was abusive in some way to his players and to his coaches and I hope the truth shines bright, but I have grave concerns about the new culture of young athletes and I guess, millennials in general. I know Marshall at Wichita State is under investigation and Pat Forde just wrote an article skewering him for referring to players as p*ssys. That is was sexist and unevolved, it read like a feminist hit piece, just way over the top. Players can transfer now if they so much as get a strange look from a coach. I think some of this is good, as is almost always the case, the best path forward lands somewhere in the middle. The days of verbally, emotionally, and physically abusing your players and making them anxious and depressed(bobby knight), is just not acceptable and really should never have been. That is not what collegiate sports should be about. That said, are we really at the point where anything negative is considered racist or coaches should be utterly concerned about their jobs because they yell insult at a player? Look, if the colleges really want change(they don't) they should stop paying coaches $3 million bucks a year and threaten to fire them with each loss on the recruiting trail or on the court/field. You don't want your players yelled out too harshly for being lazy setting a screen? Pay the coach about $45,000 a year and tell him his sole responsibility is to make sure the student athletes feel valued, rewarded, and satisfied with the season at year end. You want results? Well, some guys are going to get their assess chewed out...then I guess you can just fire the coach. Let's not forget, Franklin is seen as a players coach.....he was listed in a law suit very recently about a player being hazed(a player the team hated that the players claim thought he was bigger than the team) and Franklin not doing enough to stop it. That sh*t gonna get a lot of coaches fired moving forward, and these Atlantic hit pieces on coaches with unnamed sources or previous players are going to create some awkward coaching practices.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT