ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Chambers Stepping Down

With the Cavs (one of the final straws was calling his team "thugs").
Um, no. Final straws? You have no clue what you're talking about. Beilein should be the first and last call from the AD if you finally want to develop a stable, winning program.

He did not call them thugs. He said that they are no longer playing like thugs.
. What is playing like thugs, anyway?
The story is he meant to say slugs and it came out thugs. His assistant said he thought he heard thug and Beilein, the stand up man he is, said "then I guess I said it" and apologized even though it was a slip of the tongue. Former players came out and said he would use the word slugs when he thought they were playing listless and lazy. There's no better man in college hoops coaching than John Beilein. Your AD should be on the phone with him asap.

Bizarre. It’s odd that many of his players stood up for him in July after the Bolton incident, yet Sandy said there was more than that incident. Chambers treated his players like shit yet they defended him?

Chambers’ tweet is unusual on the heels of a resignation, but he is obviously trying to stay ahead of whatever happened at PSU and is trying to position himself for another coaching job. Perhaps he also doesn’t buy what went on with PSU’s investigation and summarized his accomplishments as a “F*ck you” to Sandy.

Just my take. Chambers overall was a good guy with a short fuse who struggled to control his outbursts. There's a way to get through to players like Dread and Bolton without shoving or making noose references.

Reactions: bison13 and PSU Man
The story is he meant to say slugs and it came out thugs. His assistant said he thought he heard thug and Beilein, the stand up man he is, said "then I guess I said it" and apologized even though it was a slip of the tongue. Former players came out and said he would use the word slugs when he thought they were playing listless and lazy. There's no better man in college hoops coaching than John Beilein. Your AD should be on the phone with him asap.
Agreed. It was a mistake if it happened at all. But He's too old though to take on PSU. He's 67.

Um, no. Final straws? You have no clue what you're talking about. Beilein should be the first and last call from the AD if you finally want to develop a stable, winning program.

The report noted the final straw for Cavs players occurred during their Jan. 8 film session that included his "thugs" comment: "He insisted later he meant to say slugs, and he tried to apologize the next day, but a number of the players never really embraced his explanation. In fact, some of them thought it was an insult to their intelligence, one player told The Athletic."

After Beilein's remark, one Cavs source told Charania, Vardon and Lloyd the team tried "to make light of a very tough situation" by putting on songs that had the word "thug" whenever he was close enough to hear it.

Serious question, because I honestly do not know anything about this in terms of being a PA State employee & pension/severance.... I'm assuming Chambers was a State employee??? As a State employee, wouldn't he have been due severance pay if he were fired vs. no severance pay for resigning??? I guess what I am getting at is the "real reason" that most of us will never truly know. IMO, if Chambers was willing to by-pass the pay-out of his remaining contract and/or severance pay, then I'd guess this "investigation committee" had enough poop on him that they convinced him the best thing he could do would be to resign ... and thus avoid public humiliation?? From what I do understand, if a person quits/resigns then THEY are the ones voiding the remaining years of their contract. But if they are fired/released then usually the school/team is on the hook for the remaining years or the buy-out.

I’m a huge Beilein fan, but there is very little chance we go that route at this point in time. He very likely misspoke and hopefully gets to coach again somewhere if he wants to.

Serious question, because I honestly do not know anything about this in terms of being a PA State employee & pension/severance.... I'm assuming Chambers was a State employee??? As a State employee, wouldn't he have been due severance pay if he were fired vs. no severance pay for resigning??? I guess what I am getting at is the "real reason" that most of us will never truly know. IMO, if Chambers was willing to by-pass the pay-out of his remaining contract and/or severance pay, then I'd guess this "investigation committee" had enough poop on him that they convinced him the best thing he could do would be to resign ... and thus avoid public humiliation?? From what I do understand, if a person quits/resigns then THEY are the ones voiding the remaining years of their contract. But if they are fired/released then usually the school/team is on the hook for the remaining years or the buy-out.
While it hasn’t been mentioned, he could have negotiated some type of buyout on his way out the door.

The report noted the final straw for Cavs players occurred during their Jan. 8 film session that included his "thugs" comment: "He insisted later he meant to say slugs, and he tried to apologize the next day, but a number of the players never really embraced his explanation. In fact, some of them thought it was an insult to their intelligence, one player told The Athletic."

After Beilein's remark, one Cavs source told Charania, Vardon and Lloyd the team tried "to make light of a very tough situation" by putting on songs that had the word "thug" whenever he was close enough to hear it.

PLEASE let's stop the Beilein talk, or for that matter the talk of ANY name brand coach who will cost money. Penn St is NOT going to spend money on a BB Coach. Sandy alluded to this yesterday when she mentioned that she hoped the team would perform well this year under Ferry and he'd be a realistic candidate. That's a big hint where they are leaning. My guess is this ... they will spend the year searching & researching potential "cheap" candidates. Guys from Sunbelt, American, Conference USA, Mid-American... type conferences. Guys they could get for similar (or less) money than what Chambers was making. BUT... if the team even finishes with about a .500 record, they can spin that Ferry did a great job ... "considering the circumstances"... and he deserves the job full time.

This is Penn State basketball. You gotta think cheap.

While it hasn’t been mentioned, he could have negotiated some type of buyout on his way out the door.

My guess is that you are probably right. IF ... IF ... there was some poop. The "woke" style, politically correct, social justice type poop.... Then chances are neither Chambers OR Penn State wanted the story to go main-stream. Serves BOTH sides to make it go away quietly. Under this assumption, I could see Penn St willing to pay-out a little just to make this go away quietly.

Sad to see Pat go. For the first time in awhile I had some real hopes for the program. It did still have a number of ups and downs but generally I felt that we were trending up. Sad to see the players' big dance opportunity stolen this past year. I just hope it is isn't a momentum killer. They were doing some good things and it was fun to watch.

This is so bogus. Barron and his SS squad are woke now so it was just a matter of “investigating”, like the Freeh report, because they had their desired result. Now they had to connect the dotes. The admin at this university is pretty bad and so weak. Can’t wait for them to move on. Don’t they have a GFloyd scholarship fund?

Since the AD didn't release it and Chambers didn't say can you tell us what was in the report?
I mean I need to know how outragey I should be.

Chambers is not a state employee, nor are most, if not all, PSU employees. Financial terms of Pat's separation would be governed by his contract and negotiation. If he resigned or was terminated for cause, the latter is generally narrowly defined, he would be owed nothing. If he is terminated without cause, then the liquidated damages (read: buyout) clauses of his contract kick in.

Guessing that PSU will not disclose details regarding his separation, financial or otherwise. We might get a clue about dollars by early/mid 2021.

Just my take. Chambers overall was a good guy with a short fuse who struggled to control his outbursts. There's a way to get through to players like Dread and Bolton without shoving or making noose references.

How did you conclude this about Chambers (short fuse, etc.)?

All this talk about Sandy going cheap. Sandy laughs at cheap. She needs to go after Jay Wright. Make Penn State the premier program in PA.

o_O

If we could convince Sandy to trim her Assistant AD Staff in half, we'd have plenty of money to double Jay Wright's deal at Nova

If we could convince Sandy to trim her Assistant AD Staff in half, we'd have plenty of money to double Jay Wright's deal at Nova

IJa.gif

OK...I know people close to the team. "Thugs" was an honest mistake and the press wanted to run with it because they understood the click value. The fact is that Beilein is a lifelong college coach and wasn't prepared to take on the egos of an adult NBA team. You had some strong personalities like Tristan Thompson (of Kardashian drama) and Kevin Love (who often complains about depression and mental health problems), as well as some very young high draft picks. He tried to coach them up like college kids and the senior people didn't take well to that. They were in charge, not the coach. The players didn't understand that they were no longer a championship team run by one of the greats of all time. The coach didn't understand that this was a team of very wealthy adults that had options than to be berated on a day in and day out basis. TT and KL, for example, were there when LBJ told the coach they weren't running the play he drew up in time-out during a key NBA playoff game. When the "thugs" issue came up, the Cavs management team realized the damage it might do to their brand and moved to end a failed initiative prematurely.

This is not that dissimilar to the current issues at Iowa or PSU basketball. The players are very sensitive and primadonnas. Take your pick. They now own the coaches, be that good or bad. Nobody believes the coach's side....so be it.

So who knows what goes on in other programs....but Those are the facts as Cavs insiders have told it to me personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
PLEASE let's stop the Beilein talk, or for that matter the talk of ANY name brand coach who will cost money. Penn St is NOT going to spend money on a BB Coach. Sandy alluded to this yesterday when she mentioned that she hoped the team would perform well this year under Ferry and he'd be a realistic candidate. That's a big hint where they are leaning. My guess is this ... they will spend the year searching & researching potential "cheap" candidates. Guys from Sunbelt, American, Conference USA, Mid-American... type conferences. Guys they could get for similar (or less) money than what Chambers was making. BUT... if the team even finishes with about a .500 record, they can spin that Ferry did a great job ... "considering the circumstances"... and he deserves the job full time.

This is Penn State basketball. You gotta think cheap.
Not too many good coaches in the American or CUSA would look at PSU as a promotion.

Reactions: Kiber
Unfortunately, UConn and Pitt are a rung or two above us when it comes to basketball jobs.

And was Danny Hurley really a “known name” to 15-17 year old kids? I like him as a coach a lot (and much more than his brother) and he did good things at Rhode Island, but had he come here and it didn’t work out, I’m sure we’d be reading that we should have hired a “big name” instead of him.
There is no earthly way that Capel or Hurley would have chosen Penn State over UConn or Pitt for...a thousand reasons. One of them being that both of those schools were paying 3x (or more) what Penn State's paying. Pitt and UConn both have leagues better facilities, tradition, and AD/fanbase buy-in and investment than Penn State. We're just not in the same atmosphere.

That said, Hurley was by far the biggest name in the coaching carousel that spring, and his recruiting at UConn has been very good. He's an asshole, but the recruiting results would indicate that he was, and is, a "known name." Capel wasn't even thought to be looking for a job (he had turned down offers from Arizona State and Georgia Tech the year before) and everyone figured he was just waiting things out at Duke until Coach K retired, but Pitt sold him on the job.

Reactions: Obliviax
OK...I know people close to the team. "Thugs" was an honest mistake...

...When the "thugs" issue came up, the Cavs management team realized the damage it might do to their brand and moved to end a failed initiative prematurely.
I think Beilein is a good man and agree that it was almost certainly an honest mistake. However, in this current situation, Sandy is very unlikely to hire someone with that mistake on the last line of their resume, simply due to perception.

Reactions: Obliviax
I think Beilein is a good man and agree that it was almost certainly an honest mistake. However, in this current situation, Sandy is very unlikely to hire someone with that mistake on the last line of their resume, simply due to perception.
yep...plus he's 67 years young. Not a great guy to be building a program around. The hire should be a very young up-and-comer with a "name". Go with a former great player who is looking for a HC gig to start out his HC career.

Reactions: bison13
There was a time where PSU employees could decide to be part of the state pension system. IIRC, that's how the Patriot-News ended up backdooring their way into learning Joe's salary back in the day - they pulled it from the pension system. I'm not sure if new employees can decide to enter into the system anymore or not, but for a number of years that was the case - and was unique to Penn State. Employees of the other state relateds never had that option.

Reactions: Madsol
Chambers is not a state employee, nor are most, if not all, PSU employees. Financial terms of Pat's separation would be governed by his contract and negotiation. If he resigned or was terminated for cause, the latter is generally narrowly defined, he would be owed nothing. If he is terminated without cause, then the liquidated damages (read: buyout) clauses of his contract kick in.

Guessing that PSU will not disclose details regarding his separation, financial or otherwise. We might get a clue about dollars by early/mid 2021.

Aren't they state employees for purposes of the State Employees Retirement System (SERS). I thought that was how they were finally able to get access to Joe's salary numbers.

Aren't they state employees for purposes of the State Employees Retirement System (SERS). I thought that was how they were finally able to get access to Joe's salary numbers.

Nope, they are or can be, depending on the arrangement, members of a state benefit system, but they aren't employees of the state. Arrangement is very common for municipal and school district employees nationwide.

Reactions: Madsol
Take a look at how the life is slowing being squeezed out of Kirk Ferentz. Kirk, IMO, is a coaches coach. A few years back his team was routed by PSU and the next week beat a previously undefeated Michigan squad. Players who hate their coaches, generally don't respond like this. I hate what we've become. Everyone is offended, aggrieved, affronted, victimized, exploited, harassed and discriminated against. We aren't just physically soft, we are weak between the ears. There is absolutely no incentive to overcome adversity in our culture......it is so much easier to sue. "First thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

The coolest, most "in" thing to be in this day and age, especially among young people, is a victim.
I guess our guys aren’t so “cool” then, since it took a year and a half for Ra’s story to come out, and we still don’t know who else was involved in other allegations.

My take on the "State Related" designation is that they get to pick and choose when they are public and when they are private whatever is to their advantage at the time.

Public for receiving state/federal funds, participation in SERS and private for adhering to transparency, oversight and other state regulations.

PSU doesn't get to "pick and choose." The relationship is defined by statute and legislation.

PSU, not the state, makes contributions on behalf of employees who participate in SERS. It also makes contributions to TIAA, a private entity, for participants who opt for that system. It carries roughly $2.2 bn of unfunded pension liability on its books. PSU, not the state, is on the hook for that.

ADVERTISEMENT