ADVERTISEMENT

Paris Ford opts out at Pitt.

No need for a new thread...

EmBXLVTWoAENJN9

The sad part is that a lot of these guys won't be good enough for a long-term career. The average NFL career is pretty short.

Reactions: bison13
If my team kept sh!tting the bed, I'd opt out to. Might see it start to happen at PSU if this teams continues to underperform. Draft stock is won/lost at the combine anyway. Betting that WR at Minny is wishing he stayed opted-out as well. He's not even the best WR on his own team right now and was going to be a R1-2 pick. Not killing his stock, but certainly not helping and for what? 3rd place in the western conference of the B1G? His teammates? his coaches? Fans? Lol, who cares. Stay healthy and go get paid kid. Fans don't matter, your family and future do. Micah...smart, smart move.

Reactions: 91Joe95
If my team kept sh!tting the bed, I'd opt out to. Might see it start to happen at PSU if this teams continues to underperform. Draft stock is won/lost at the combine anyway. Betting that WR at Minny is wishing he stayed opted-out as well. He's not even the best WR on his own team right now and was going to be a R1-2 pick. Not killing his stock, but certainly not helping and for what? 3rd place in the western conference of the B1G? His teammates? his coaches? Fans? Lol, who cares. Stay healthy and go get paid kid. Fans don't matter, your family and future do. Micah...smart, smart move.

NFL teams do not care about the performance of a college TEAM, they are scouting an individual player. Many players from some really bad college teams get drafted in the 1st round every year. MN finishing first or last in the B1G West is totally irrelevant to the NFL scouts. That's why there is that old saying about "give 100% on EVERY snap because film don't lie..... what you put on film is there for all the scouts to see". As for Micah, if the results were the exact same... if we are 0-2 even with Micah playing.... but lets say vs. IU he had 15 tackles/2 TFL/1 INT and then the next week vs. Ohio State he posted a monster game of 18 tackles/3 TFL/ 1 sack/ 1 forced fumble .... how would that be bad for him even if Penn St lost both games???? A few weeks ago in a game between Arkansas & Ole Miss an Arkansas LB posted something like 20 tackles / 2 INTs / 1 INT retuned for a TD.... the guy is posting incredible stats all year. Arkansas is probably going 4-6 or 5-5 this year, but that guy is playing himself into a 2nd/3rd round pick. How is that bad?

NFL teams do not care about the performance of a college TEAM, they are scouting an individual player. Many players from some really bad college teams get drafted in the 1st round every year. MN finishing first or last in the B1G West is totally irrelevant to the NFL scouts. That's why there is that old saying about "give 100% on EVERY snap because film don't lie..... what you put on film is there for all the scouts to see". As for Micah, if the results were the exact same... if we are 0-2 even with Micah playing.... but lets say vs. IU he had 15 tackles/2 TFL/1 INT and then the next week vs. Ohio State he posted a monster game of 18 tackles/3 TFL/ 1 sack/ 1 forced fumble .... how would that be bad for him even if Penn St lost both games???? A few weeks ago in a game between Arkansas & Ole Miss an Arkansas LB posted something like 20 tackles / 2 INTs / 1 INT retuned for a TD.... the guy is posting incredible stats all year. Arkansas is probably going 4-6 or 5-5 this year, but that guy is playing himself into a 2nd/3rd round pick. How is that bad?
Because what does that do for his draft stock? Nothing. It doesn't move the needle a single hair for the kid personally. He's a concensus top-10 pick, some even top 5. No way he's moving up any further than that, so it does nothing for him on a personal level to continue to play. The only reason for him to play this year is personal pride, teammates, PSU, fans, etc. None of those pay the bills. He did the right thing.

Because what does that do for his draft stock? Nothing. It doesn't move the needle a single hair for the kid personally. He's a concensus top-10 pick, some even top 5. No way he's moving up any further than that, so it does nothing for him on a personal level to continue to play. The only reason for him to play this year is personal pride, teammates, PSU, fans, etc. None of those pay the bills. He did the right thing.

There is nothing guaranteed in a draft because you have no control over what another player does. For example, look at last year with Joe Burrow. Before the year started Tua was hands down the #1 QB to be taken... remember "Tank for Tua" ?? Then Joe Burrow posted a season of a lifetime and jumped Tua. The guy from Oregon also posted a great year and nearly passed Tua as well. ... Yes, BEFORE the season the Mock Draft "experts" rate Micah as top 5/10. But they are "Mock Draft experts". They are Mel Kiper. They are not real to life NFL GMs. Other players who actually play could have great years. What if Penie Sewell goes thru another year of dominance?? By not playing, you are basically folding your hand, saying you are sitting on your hand... And that's fine. But other players are playing and showing their stuff, and some my jump ahead of you.

There is nothing guaranteed in a draft because you have no control over what another player does. For example, look at last year with Joe Burrow. Before the year started Tua was hands down the #1 QB to be taken... remember "Tank for Tua" ?? Then Joe Burrow posted a season of a lifetime and jumped Tua. The guy from Oregon also posted a great year and nearly passed Tua as well. ... Yes, BEFORE the season the Mock Draft "experts" rate Micah as top 5/10. But they are "Mock Draft experts". They are Mel Kiper. They are not real to life NFL GMs. Other players who actually play could have great years. What if Penie Sewell goes thru another year of dominance?? By not playing, you are basically folding your hand, saying you are sitting on your hand... And that's fine. But other players are playing and showing their stuff, and some my jump ahead of you.
We'll just agree to disagree. I personally think Micah did exactly the right thing and I would have done the same if I had a spec of his athletic ability and was in the same position as he was. I saw that kid get carted off for Alabama last week and can't help think the same could happen to Micah. Injuries are an unfortunate part of the game, but at least he is going to get paid before anything like that happens to him. I can completely understand with fringe guys like Journey Brown or Shaka Toney. But, I wouldn't have been upset about Friermuth sitting it out either. Projected 1st or 2nd round pick for a TE....life-changing.

We'll just agree to disagree. I personally think Micah did exactly the right thing and I would have done the same if I had a spec of his athletic ability and was in the same position as he was. I saw that kid get carted off for Alabama last week and can't help think the same could happen to Micah. Injuries are an unfortunate part of the game, but at least he is going to get paid before anything like that happens to him. I can completely understand with fringe guys like Journey Brown or Shaka Toney. But, I wouldn't have been upset about Friermuth sitting it out either. Projected 1st or 2nd round pick for a TE....life-changing.

I get what you are saying. I believe it ultimately comes down to the personality of the individual. Saquan Barkley did the exact opposite in the Fiesta Bowl vs. Washington. He was leaving, it was his last game. As a RB, his draft stock would have plummeted had he torn an ACL in the Fiesta Bowl vs. Washington. Instead, Saquan Barkley wanted to play and be with his teammates. A guy like Saquan Barkley wanted to play. Micah Parsons wanted to sit out.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
I believe Bosa could have returned for the bowl but not the season (including Michigan or the B1G championship game). But we also saw the RB from Stanford and even Saquon skipped the second half of the Washington Bowl game.

Barkley had 12 of his 25 touches in the second half. He didn't return kickoffs. It was nice to see him play. I can sort of understand not playing in a bowl game that's not part of the playoff. When a guy opts out halfway through a season when things are going bad, it seems more like quitting. Once you're in, you're in for the season in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT