ADVERTISEMENT

PA Recruiting - Of those who recruited PA who did it the best

I'm not sure when this came out, but I would have thought that Verkleeren alone would have earned PSU a spot in top 10. Maybe this came out before Verkleeren declared.

I'm not sure when this came out

May 16, 2017 -- it says so at the bottom of the article.

I would have thought that Verkleeren alone would have earned PSU a spot in top 10

trying to balance quality and quantity are a tough thing to do in rankings.

Verkleeren was ranked #5 by PA Power Wrestling. Austin Clabaugh is ranked #46, and Joey Blumer was ranked #76 (both PA Power Wrestling rankings).

Let's look at the their top 10:

1. UVA
have the #2 guy, the #10 guy, the #13 guy, and the #31 guy. That's 4 guys that are ahead of PSU's 2nd highest ranked guy, and 1 guy that's higher than Verkleeren

2. Clarion
have the #20 guy, the #21 guy, the #29 guy, the #53 guy, the #56 guy, the #112 guy, the #183 guy, and the #272 guy. Nobody from that list is ahead of Verkleeren, but it's 3 guys ahead of Clabaugh, and 5 guys ahead of Blumer

3. Lehigh
have the #16 guy, the #18 guy, the #26 guy, and the #85 guy. Again, nobody that's ahead of Verkleeren, but 3 guys that are ranked significantly higher than Clabaugh

4. Lock Haven
have the #25 guy, the #28 guy, the #38 guy, the #47 guy, the #61 guy, the #90 guy, and the #122 guy. Again, nobody that's ahead of Verkleeren, but 3 guys that are ranked significantly higher than Clabaugh, 1 guy that's basically even with him, another guy that's ahead of Blumer, plus one more guy. Seems like a combo of quality and quantity

5. Pittsburgh
have the #8 guy, the #17 guy, the #30 guy, the #39 guy, the #58 guy, the #97 guy, the #103 guy, and the #115 guy. That's 1 guy pretty close to Verkleeren, and 4 guys ahead of Clabaugh, plus 3 more guys. Another quality and quantity combo

6. Iowa
have the #1 guy and the #9 guy. It's a small class, but their first guy is significantly ahead of Verkleeren, and their second guy is far ahead of Clabaugh. I'd rank them ahead of PSU

7. Cornell
have the #12 guy, the #23 guy, and the #42 guy. While Verkleeren is better than their first guy, their 3 guys are collectively higher ranked than PSU's

8. American
have the #27 guy, the #54 guy, the #65 guy, and an honorable mention guy. I think this class is marginally better than PSU's with regards to PA wrestlers, but I think you could make an argument that PSU could slot in here

9. Seton Hill
have the #72 guy, the #95 guy, the #111 guy, the #132 guy, the #146 guy, the #149 guy, the #171 guy, the #246 guy, the #261 guy, and a HM guy. This appears to be a quantity ranking. PSU has 2 guys significantly higher ranked than SH, and PSU's third guy is about even with SH's first guy. It would not be hard to make a valid case that PSU should have the #9 ranking.

10. Drexel
have the #4 guy, the #37 guy, the #128 guy, the #142 guy, and the #244 guy. The top guys are about even. Drexel has the higher second guy, and PSU has the higher third guy. Drexel has more quantity, whereas the two schools are about even in the top three guys. I'd argue that Drexel should be ranked 8th, and then it's a tough one between PSU, American and Seton Hall for 9th and 10th rankings

Reactions: CowboyUp61
Clabaugh has said he's not wrestling at PSU, so hard to count him toward team rankings.

Clabaugh has said he's not wrestling at PSU, so hard to count him toward team rankings.

lol. I thought I remembered that, but was in a rush and couldn't find confirmation. so I went with what I posted. If you take Clabaugh out of the comparison, then only the Seton Hill ranking is one that PSU could possibly surpass, and again it's the debate between quantity versus quality.

lol. I thought I remembered that, but was in a rush and couldn't find confirmation. so I went with what I posted. If you take Clabaugh out of the comparison, then only the Seton Hall ranking is one that PSU could possibly surpass, and again it's the debate between quantity versus quality.
FYI, that's Seton HILL, a Division II school in Greensburg, PA, and not Seton HALL. Unfortunately, the latter does not have a team.

May 16, 2017 -- it says so at the bottom of the article.

trying to balance quality and quantity are a tough thing to do in rankings.

Verkleeren was ranked #5 by PA Power Wrestling. Austin Clabaugh is ranked #46, and Joey Blumer was ranked #76 (both PA Power Wrestling rankings).

Let's look at the their top 10:

1. UVA
have the #2 guy, the #10 guy, the #13 guy, and the #31 guy. That's 4 guys that are ahead of PSU's 2nd highest ranked guy, and 1 guy that's higher than Verkleeren

2. Clarion
have the #20 guy, the #21 guy, the #29 guy, the #53 guy, the #56 guy, the #112 guy, the #183 guy, and the #272 guy. Nobody from that list is ahead of Verkleeren, but it's 3 guys ahead of Clabaugh, and 5 guys ahead of Blumer

3. Lehigh
have the #16 guy, the #18 guy, the #26 guy, and the #85 guy. Again, nobody that's ahead of Verkleeren, but 3 guys that are ranked significantly higher than Clabaugh

4. Lock Haven
have the #25 guy, the #28 guy, the #38 guy, the #47 guy, the #61 guy, the #90 guy, and the #122 guy. Again, nobody that's ahead of Verkleeren, but 3 guys that are ranked significantly higher than Clabaugh, 1 guy that's basically even with him, another guy that's ahead of Blumer, plus one more guy. Seems like a combo of quality and quantity

5. Pittsburgh
have the #8 guy, the #17 guy, the #30 guy, the #39 guy, the #58 guy, the #97 guy, the #103 guy, and the #115 guy. That's 1 guy pretty close to Verkleeren, and 4 guys ahead of Clabaugh, plus 3 more guys. Another quality and quantity combo

6. Iowa
have the #1 guy and the #9 guy. It's a small class, but their first guy is significantly ahead of Verkleeren, and their second guy is far ahead of Clabaugh. I'd rank them ahead of PSU

7. Cornell
have the #12 guy, the #23 guy, and the #42 guy. While Verkleeren is better than their first guy, their 3 guys are collectively higher ranked than PSU's

8. American
have the #27 guy, the #54 guy, the #65 guy, and an honorable mention guy. I think this class is marginally better than PSU's with regards to PA wrestlers, but I think you could make an argument that PSU could slot in here

9. Seton Hall
have the #72 guy, the #95 guy, the #111 guy, the #132 guy, the #146 guy, the #149 guy, the #171 guy, the #246 guy, the #261 guy, and a HM guy. This appears to be a quantity ranking. PSU has 2 guys significantly higher ranked than SH, and PSU's third guy is about even with SH's first guy. It would not be hard to make a valid case that PSU should have the #9 ranking.

10. Drexel
have the #4 guy, the #37 guy, the #128 guy, the #142 guy, and the #244 guy. The top guys are about even. Drexel has the higher second guy, and PSU has the higher third guy. Drexel has more quantity, whereas the two schools are about even in the top three guys. I'd argue that Drexel should be ranked 8th, and then it's a tough one between PSU, American and Seton Hall for 9th and 10th rankings
Thanks for the analysis, Tom!

FYI, that's Seton HILL, a Division II school in Greensburg, PA, and not Seton HALL. Unfortunately, the latter does not have a team.

lmao. as I was putting that together, I remember thinking to make sure that I spell it HILL, not HALL. So much for executing my thoughts. No surprise that the Pirate caught the mistake.

Reactions: SetonHallPirate
Depth vs star power?

If you're looking at filling out a solid dual team, then those rankings make sense. The top five teams probably added 4 to 5 solid wrestlers to their starting line-up in a couple years.

If you're looking NCAA championships though, it's hard to see Iowa any lower than #2 ... maybe #1. Lee and Murin alone will probably score more NCAA points than any 4 recruits for the other five teams.

Depth vs star power?

If you're looking at filling out a solid dual team, then those rankings make sense. The top five teams probably added 4 to 5 solid wrestlers to their starting line-up in a couple years.

If you're looking NCAA championships though, it's hard to see Iowa any lower than #2 ... maybe #1. Lee and Murin alone will probably score more NCAA points than any 4 recruits for the other five teams.
No way....Iowa will NEVER come close to PSU....There high recruits will not get that much better with the style they teach....

Reactions: Dogwelder
No way....Iowa will NEVER come close to PSU....There high recruits will not get that much better with the style they teach....
"It's hard to win the championship when you hate wrestling." -- Wise Man ;)

Last edited:

Huh????

Did you even read the article linked above? My post is in reference to the article, in no way was I comparing Iowa to PSU.

Reactions: CentexLion
Depth vs star power?

I'm with you man. These rankings are as dumb as the Flo recruit ones. Way too much credit givin to a team getting a lot of decent quality that wont individually ever sniff a national semi's. Which is sweet if you made your dual meet team better by adding 5 needed starters at those needed weights.

But the reality of it is when Cael recruits 2 P4P studs and they combine for 50 points at the real tourney, isn't that better than the 5 Nc State recruits that combined for maybe 30?

Ill take 2 corvettes over 5 buick. And as pointed out, Id take Spencer Lee for 25 and you can keep your maybe they can AA rest of the field on some teams. Anything Murin could do is just icing.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

But seriously guys like Spyker must just have their days ruined by even seeing the word Iowa. I think a majority of Iowa fans like myself enjoy watching someone like say Nolf wrestle. I'm guessing even Clark winning and story still pissed you off.
And how dare him rise above his shoulder, wrist and Terry's limited teaching to win a title!

But seriously guys like Spyker must just have their days ruined by even seeing the word Iowa. I think a majority of Iowa fans like myself enjoy watching someone like say Nolf wrestle. I'm guessing even Clark winning and story still pissed you off.
And how dare him rise above his shoulder, wrist and Terry's limited teaching to win a title!
Nothing but respect for CC here.

I'm with you man. These rankings are as dumb as the Flo recruit ones. Way too much credit givin to a team getting a lot of decent quality that wont individually ever sniff a national semi's. Which is sweet if you made your dual meet team better by adding 5 needed starters at those needed weights.

But the reality of it is when Cael recruits 2 P4P studs and they combine for 50 points at the real tourney, isn't that better than the 5 Nc State recruits that combined for maybe 30?

Ill take 2 corvettes over 5 buick. And as pointed out, Id take Spencer Lee for 25 and you can keep your maybe they can AA rest of the field on some teams. Anything Murin could do is just icing.
And yet, we're all opening the site, looking at the rankings, and talking (or complaining) about them.

Clicks, clicks, and more clicks, my friend. Plus, we get to talk wrestling in the NCAA Collegiate Wrestling off-season. Looks like everyone wins to me :).

Ihawk--I don't know how often you read this board, but Clark got a lot of positive press on this board. Many thought he handled himself with class in his tough loss to Tomasello at B1G's. I was sitting in a PSU section at NCAAs and most of the PSU fans were cheering loudly for Clark in the finals. Clark seems to be a fine young man, a gutsy wrestler, and most PSU fans recognize that!
Note: I re-read your post and see that your comment was addressed to one fan and not to PSU fans in general.

Reactions: Gebmo

There's more than one?

Ihawk--I don't know how often you read this board, but Clark got a lot of positive press on this board. Many thought he handled himself with class in his tough loss to Tomasello at B1G's. I was sitting in a PSU section at NCAAs and most of the PSU fans were cheering loudly for Clark in the finals. Clark seems to be a fine young man, a gutsy wrestler, and most PSU fans recognize that!
Note: I re-read your post and see that your comment was addressed to one fan and not to PSU fans in general.
Really, really happy for Cory, but then I like good wrestling, regardless of the team. What the young man went through, to come out on top like he did, is a totally awesome story. The class and character by which he carries himself just makes it all the more enjoyable...to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT