ADVERTISEMENT

WHO DO YOU ROOT FOR?

FatWoodchuck

Oct 5, 2023
I am a wrestling fan #1

#2 glad PSU is my team

Question: Ncaa finals if PSU is not involved. Do you root for iowa? Sometimes I find myself doing so. Same with Ohio St. But should we be rooting for other pa teams instead of BIG ( i dont mean big ten. I mean big wrestling scjlhools.) teams, or should we root for, for instance Cal Bap a new school to D1.

I grew up on my grandfather's beliefs of rooting for the under dog. I find myself in this situation to root for who I know. With NIL and the portal does this change to, rooting for the Supreme underdogs or, for the big names people know? (Being the athlete or the college)

For the sake of wrestling and, $ to be distributed.

Last edited:
If a meteorite slammed into earth and wiped out all of the D1 wrestling schools besides Iowa and Ohio State, I’d become a basketball fan.

But seriously, I root for all of the Pennsylvania schools to do well, even Pitt and Lehigh. My brother wrestled at Lock Haven so I enjoy seeing them be competitive. I also have strong ties to WVU since my cousin wrestled there.

I root for who I like and money, conference allegiances and geography have nothing to do with it. Maybe I knew the kid's father or mother years ago. Maybe I like the kid's style or his attitude. Maybe I truly hate his opponent or the coaches of his opponent, etc.. There's no formula. Aside from the PSU kids, I typically don't get too stressed out about what happens.

After PSU, mostly I root for an active match with neither ref screw ups nor reviews. I root for a blood time and concussion protocol free match where both wrestlers enter and exit in full health.

I probably secondarily root for a champ from schools with alumni friends of mine, but only if I know they follow wrestling (e.g., tOSU and WVU). It's nice when friends are happy, but not too happy.

Thinking of last year's championships, I know I didn't actively root for or against Spencer Lee, even though he wrestled HS in Western PA. I just enjoyed the competition. But then, I did feel for him after he lost, even as I also enjoyed Ramos' win.

Last edited:
Reactions: FatWoodchuck
Mostly, what @Cstroke said. I root for wrestlers who exhibit an exciting style against those who don't. Certainly favor PA schools too, but only as 2nd criteria--I never rooted for Mason Beckman, for example. If I have a guy in my pool/bracket, they get my support too, obviously,.

Rarely pull for a Big Ten guy just because he's big ten--though I honestly do do that come Football postseason, because the SEC is intolerable.

I under no circumstances will root for Iowa pa wrestlers or not. Sorry. Don't know why just can't do it. Same goes for Notre Dame in football.
old guy here. started to follow ps fb in my teens. our school boosters would take us to a ps fb game after our season ended. our coach was a former ps captain, and he would pay my girl friend(now wife) and I in ps tix rather than money when we sat for their kids. From then on we became fans of all things ps. Now have season tix for fb,mbb,wbb,mhockey and wrestling. I support all things ps and really don't root for others, with the exception of
lock haven(alma mater) and lehigh(brother) is a grad. I see no reason to root for kids of any other school. I may appreciate their talent, but rarely root for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT