ADVERTISEMENT

PA Power Wrestling Podcast with Jody Strittmatter

Lol. Tang if you really think the big times programs don't find a way around the 9.9 you are way behind my brother....I will not get into the ways since it would take forever but there are a lot of ways to gets top guys in....

Spyker is money generated from camps, one way these kids can earn money to help?

Remember Jody is from Pa....Graduated from Cam Heights...
I'm getting the impression you just googled Jody today and just figured that out. More likely, you have a one tracked mind and just forgot about it. Nice backtracking.

Lol. Tang if you really think the big times programs don't find a way around the 9.9 you are way behind my brother....I will not get into the ways since it would take forever but there are a lot of ways to gets top guys in....

Please enlighten me. I'm interested in your take on the economics of why Lee and Teasdale decided to "set up shop" in the cornfields of Iowa.
I tend to think Lee/Teasdale got a better deal from Iowa. I also think Cael lists any suggestion of a package deal by a couple of 17 year olds as a turnoff. I think Suriano is a complete stud and Lee/Teasdale know it (not suggesting any way they ran from him). Maybe they'd just rather meet him on a Saturday night in March than every day in the room.

Reactions: Azchief32
Before any of that happens, first guy to meet Nick, will be Mr Gilman.

Maybe three times, who knows?

Please enlighten me. I'm interested in your take on the economics of why Lee and Teasdale decided to "set up shop" in the cornfields of Iowa.
I tend to think Lee/Teasdale got a better deal from Iowa. I also think Cael lists any suggestion of a package deal by a couple of 17 year olds as a turnoff. I think Suriano is a complete stud and Lee/Teasdale know it (not suggesting any way they ran from him). Maybe they'd just rather meet him on a Saturday night in March than every day in the room.

IMHO, the bolded part is pretty much what happened. There is no way we can get EVERY recruit that we want. It's just not possible.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
Quentin is currently running a wrestling club with West Branch coach Jason Bainey.

He sure is, and it is going GREAT. They already have produced one PIAA state champion, and there are a couple of kids coming up who will be in Hershey hopefully next year.

He sure is, and it is going GREAT. They already have produced one PIAA state champion, and there are a couple of kids coming up who will be in Hershey hopefully next year.
Which state champ was wrestling in their club this past year?

Which state champ was wrestling in their club this past year?

It was last year, but he was working with Q, Buzzy Maines, now at 197 at Clarion.

Keep your eyes on a kid named Derek Yingling, a true freshman last year at 145 who was one of the best 2 or 3 9th graders, he'll be a sophmore this year in district 6 at West Branch. There are also two more kids in the junior high system coming up, Coach Baineys son, and Will Herring.

It was last year, but he was working with Q, Buzzy Maines, now at 197 at Clarion.

Keep your eyes on a kid named Derek Yingling, a true freshman last year at 145 who was one of the best 2 or 3 9th graders, he'll be a sophmore this year in district 6 at West Branch. There are also two more kids in the junior high system coming up, Coach Baineys son, and Will Herring.
Yeah, i've watched Jason's kid several times. Man he looks just like his dad. Finished 4th I believe in PJW states

Reactions: 21Guns
What's the club culture like in PA?

Here, in MN, most kids go to their school/town's youth program and feed into the HS. Obviously, some move during that time, and it happens to help, athletically. With clubs like Pinacle and MN Elite, a couple of guys in the Twin Cities areas have built powerful "private" clubs that kids attend along with their town's club.

Freestyle/Greco is a bit different, as not every town has a club. However, most go to the nearest town, and some supplement with Pinacle/MN Elite. It seems as though more and more are popping up, talking about the private clubs. Is that a large part of PA wrestling? I just started charging kids a very small amount for our FS/GR club that runs from end of HS till Fargo. I wouldn't consider it a private club because I open the door to whomever, even if they haven't paid.

I'm just wondering if the private clubs are a thing that's making it's move to the midwest, or how prominent they are in PA?

I know Beca has been a power out of the Lehigh Valley for the state of PA. Think of Allentown Central Catholic as a wrestling power in the next 5 years. Seth Ciasulli is the head coach there. Also heads up RedHawk wrestling club. A lot of talent goes through there that I guarantee you will migrate to ACCH.

I know Beca has been a power out of the Lehigh Valley for the state of PA. Think of Allentown Central Catholic as a wrestling power in the next 5 years. Seth Ciasulli is the head coach there. Also heads up RedHawk wrestling club. A lot of talent goes through there that I guarantee you will migrate to ACCH.

If there is in fact a God, hopefully you are correct.

I'd root for an all star team of Russia Uzbekistan, and Bulgaria, before I'd root for Beca.

How many YG's have signed with Iowa (4), PSU (2), other majors? Most recently, there is a trend, but sample size is too small to draw firm conclusions.

Nevertheless, influence happens in all walks of life. So does $$$ support. It is very rarely obvious until you analyze it and realize its no coincidence.

Nico,Cenzo,Nolf,Cutch. This is right up there with our $$$ from the NLWC conspiracy.

El Jefe has pretty much handled all of this but I'd like to make the point that when we are complaining about getting out recruited, just a bunch of excuse making Iowa whiners. When we chip off a few PA guys, somebody's steering or getting paid underneath the table. The Brands have been in PA a lot over the past few years and have invested time in showing face at Young Guns practices.

As for the Carver trips, I do believe parents fund it and give permission. Like it or not, Carver is the Yankee Stadium of wrestling. While I may not like the Yanks, I'd watch a ball game there in a NY sec.

Reactions: andegre
Nico,Cenzo,Nolf,Cutch. This is right up there with our $$$ from the NLWC conspiracy.

El Jefe has pretty much handled all of this but I'd like to make the point that when we are complaining about getting out recruited, just a bunch of excuse making Iowa whiners. When we chip off a few PA guys, somebody's steering or getting paid underneath the table. The Brands have been in PA a lot over the past few years and have invested time in showing face at Young Guns practices.

As for the Carver trips, I do believe parents fund it and give permission. Like it or not, Carver is the Yankee Stadium of wrestling. While I may not like the Yanks, I'd watch a ball game there in a NY sec.

The Yankee Stadium of wrestling is Rec Hall.

Carver is the Ebbotts field of wrestling.

The Yankee Stadium of wrestling is Rec Hall.

Carver is the Ebbotts field of wrestling.

No way. You guys are the Johnny-Come-Latelys. I'm not particularly an Iowa supporter but everyone outside of wrestling associates Iowa with wrestling, even though Okie State prob has more championships. Not to say that Sanderson isn't an amazing coach or that Penn State will never reach those heights, but the simple fact is that as things stand now you're known as a football school.

When was the last time Rec Hall hosted the Olympic trials? Or any other major event? Kids from Iowa don't grow up hoping to one day wrestle at Rec Hall. However, kids from PA seem to have grown up hoping one day to wrestle at Carver Hawkeye.
This is almost as funny as the post that inspired it.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Yeah, maybe a bit over the top with the PA kids growing up wanting to wrestle at Carver. The allure of wrestling at Carver was definitely talked about with the PA boys though as selling points. Kids more so want to wrestle at Penn State because of Sanderson not necessarily because Rec Hall is the Yankee Stadium of wrestling.

Reactions: Azchief32
Come on, most kids want to wrestle at CHA at least once in their careers, right? And this is from a guy that doesn't pull for any one specific school.

Penn State wrestlers seem to do well at Rec Hall, and Rec Hall seems to be more of an intimidating venue than Carver Hawkeye....at least in the past 6 years, that is.

Hence, Rec Hall is the current, CH is the past.

Are you guys serious? As far as arenas go, CHA probably ranks somewhere in the middle 90% of the multi-purpose arenas in this country - the same strata that something like Bryce Jordan- which is terrible - occupies (and virtually everyone else - 90%).

The only thing special about CHA is some of the wrestling teams that wrestled in it and some of the events held there. And it opened in 1983 - missed a big chunk. You'd be hard pressed to find a PA wrestler who knows what the arena is called unless they visited it.

Let's not confuse the arena with the Hawkeye history - which is formidable.

Let's not forget that Rec Hall is the place that other teams fear. The single most intimidating venue in the sport. Period.

Penn State has 4 losses at home over the past 6 years, including 2 of 3 meets against Iowa. The previous 6 years before that, they lost 19 at home. With such an intimidating venue, I thought they would have had less than that.

CHA is obviously much better known in the wrestling world than Rec Hall. That is a combination of Iowa's success starting back in the 70s and the fact that it is a much bigger arena than Rec Hall, which only seats around 6K, so is not going to be the site of any large wrestling event. However, back in 1968, when I was in 7th grade it did host the NCAAs and some guy named Dan Gable won his first NCAA title.

The thing that makes CHA and Rec Hall such great venues is the teams that they put on the mat, and the rabid fan support. Rec Hall has such an intimate atmosphere and coupled with the great teams you've put out on the mat over the past 6 years, of course its going to be a great venue. It may only be 6k or 7k, but it feels like a lot more when they're right on top of you. CHA is special because of the Iowa tradition and always putting a tough team out on the mat. Then coupled with the fact that when facing a formidable opponent, its easy to expect 14-15k strong. Both teams have been the top 2 in attendance numbers for the last 6 years. Both places have a great home field advantage, and i'm sure from a competitors standpoint, guys on both teams relish the opportunity to get a win in the other teams hostile environment.

Iowa did go from getting no young guns to 4 in the last two years so obviously something has changed. I'm not going to speculate as to what that something is or claim it is because of something nefarious, but this fact is undeniable.
I honestly feel both Lee and Teasdale felt they could "stand out" more at Iowa than they could have at PSU. At PSU, it's a dynasty in the making. As long as Cael is there, they will never go very long without winning team championships. Cael will always bring in many of the nations top recruits and will always have a star studded lineup. They've won 5 out of the last 6 team titles.

Iowa on the otherhand have been struggling. Don't get me wrong, in the grand scheme of things they are always tough but they haven't been the team their fans expect. In Iowa, anything short of a team title seems to be a huge disappointment. They have been getting beat by PSU, tOSU and OSU in the recruiting battle and on the mat. That was unheard of back in the day.

I just think the allure of being two of the biggest reasons for a Hawkeye resurgence was too much for Lee and Teasdale to pass up. They could go down as the start of bringing Iowa Hawkeye wrestling back from the dead sort of speaking. Not that they've been dead but they sure as hell haven't been what their fanbase have come to expect. At PSU, Lee and Teasdale would just be stars among stars. PSU is already winning championships without them. With them they are just carrying on business as usual. At Iowa though, the two would be looked upon as THE reason Iowa is back. THE reason the championship is back to its rightful place. They could go down as "gods" in Iowa where as at PSU they might get lost among the Halls, Nolfs, Retherfords or Surianos.

I honestly feel both Lee and Teasdale felt they could "stand out" more at Iowa than they could have at PSU. At PSU, it's a dynasty in the making. As long as Cael is there, they will never go very long without winning team championships. Cael will always bring in many of the nations top recruits and will always have a star studded lineup. They've won 5 out of the last 6 team titles.

Iowa on the otherhand have been struggling. Don't get me wrong, in the grand scheme of things they are always tough but they haven't been the team their fans expect. In Iowa, anything short of a team title seems to be a huge disappointment. They have been getting beat by PSU, tOSU and OSU in the recruiting battle and on the mat. That was unheard of back in the day.

I just think the allure of being two of the biggest reasons for a Hawkeye resurgence was too much for Lee and Teasdale to pass up. They could go down as the start of bringing Iowa Hawkeye wrestling back from the dead sort of speaking. Not that they've been dead but they sure as hell haven't been what their fanbase have come to expect. At PSU, Lee and Teasdale would just be stars among stars. PSU is already winning championships without them. With them they are just carrying on business as usual. At Iowa though, the two would be looked upon as THE reason Iowa is back. THE reason the championship is back to its rightful place. They could go down as "gods" in Iowa where as at PSU they might get lost among the Halls, Nolfs, Retherfords or Surianos.

All this and Spencer's girlfriend going to Iowa proved the difference.

good point

Well, all of that and the fact that Iowa has put 6 different guys (10 total, 3 champions) into the finals in the past 10 years at the two lightest weight classes. 16 times during that span they've had All-Americans with 3 of the 4 non-aa losing in the R12. Compared to Penn State/Sanderson with 9 total AA, 3 finalists (1 guy) and 1 champion during that same timeframe. Did you guys forget to read Spencer's letter or his top 10 list of reasons for his choice?

Well, all of that and the fact that Iowa has put 6 different guys (10 total, 3 champions) into the finals in the past 10 years at the two lightest weight classes. 16 times during that span they've had All-Americans with 3 of the 4 non-aa losing in the R12. Compared to Penn State/Sanderson with 9 total AA, 3 finalists (1 guy) and 1 champion during that same timeframe. Did you guys forget to read Spencer's letter or his top 10 list of reasons for his choice?
We've all read it... trust me. I take it you feel Spencer spilled his entire heart and soul out in that letter. I'm different. I think people still feel that not everything needs to be shared with everyone under the sun. And that includes reasons on a choice of college. With people sharing their entire lives on Facebook and Twitter these days, I know the idea might seem a bit strange to you and the rest of the Hawkeye fanbase. Especially the way you guys consider his letter as gospel.

We've all read it... trust me. I take it you feel Spencer spilled his entire heart and soul out in that letter. I'm different. I think people still feel that not everything needs to be shared with everyone under the sun. And that includes reasons on a choice of college. With people sharing their entire lives on Facebook and Twitter these days, I know the idea might seem a bit strange to you and the rest of the Hawkeye fanbase. Especially the way you guys consider his letter as gospel.
How dareth ye contest what is written in Spencer Lees scripture, heathen!

No, I don't feel like he put his entire heart and soul into it and I understand that there might be more to it that he didn't necessarily expand on. I don't necessarily find his letter to be gospel, nor do the majority of Iowa fans that I have talked with. Why do you feel you need to elaborate on his reasoning and come up with your own ideas for why he didn't choose PSU? It's like a lot of Penn State fans just don't want to believe his letter or reasons because there HAS to be something else to the story.

No, I don't feel like he put his entire heart and soul into it and I understand that there might be more to it that he didn't necessarily expand on. I don't necessarily find his letter to be gospel, nor do the majority of Iowa fans that I have talked with. Why do you feel you need to elaborate on his reasoning and come up with your own ideas for why he didn't choose PSU? It's like a lot of Penn State fans just don't want to believe his letter or reasons because there HAS to be something else to the story.
Considering the thread is about Jody Stritmatter, Young Guns and the discussion also turned toward Spencer, it's exactly the type of conversation one should expect. I won't even mention the fact that it's a PSU board, we discuss what we want to discuss and it's the offseason where topics are hard to come by. If you don't like the way we do business here you are more than welcome to leave. That's up to you. At least here you get a choice. On your board, they just ban someone when they give an opinion that contradicts their own.

We all wish Spencer and his girlfriend the best in Iowa City, now we can move on

Reactions: fortheglory94
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT