ADVERTISEMENT

Outside of Bama, we have the best claim for making the playoffs...

Yep. Last night should have proved to anyone who watched the game that we have the offense and defense to beat any team in the country. Are you run team ... we'll beat you, are you a passing team ... we'll beat you, do you have a top ranked defense ... we'll beat you. We're just hitting our stride now ... wait till the Oline gels.

Reminds me a lot of the 94 team with a better defense.

From the ESPN article...

Was Penn State's explosive comeback enough for playoff bid?
Penn State makes resume stronger with Big 10 title

Brian Bennett
ESPN Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS --- When Wisconsin's Dare Ogunbowale rumbled into the end zone for a 28-7 lead in the second quarter, it looked like the Big Ten championship game could turn into a rout.

The No. 6 Badgers were dominating in the trenches, and Penn State coach James Franklin was so desperate to generate some offense that he twice went for it on fourth down near midfield in the first half -- and failed both times.

But in a season that itself qualified as a remarkable comeback, the Nittany Lions had one magical run left, triggered by a lethal passing attack unlike anything this event had ever seen.

Quarterback Trace McSorley set a league championship record with 384 passing yards and four touchdowns, as No. 7 Penn State clinched one of the most unlikely Big Ten titles of all time with a 38-31 victory.

From the end of the first half until early in the fourth quarter, McSorley completed all nine of his throws for 241 yards and three scores.

For the game, he averaged 17.5 yards on his 22 completions in 31 attempts.

This came against a Badgers defense that entered the game leading the FBS in interceptions and ranked fifth nationally in pass-efficiency defense.

They had allowed only eight passing touchdowns all season, and they hadn't given up more than 23 points in regulation of any game.

But the Nittany Lions... shockingly developed into the Big Ten's most explosive offense this year under first-year coordinator Joe Moorhead. Over their final five games heading into Indianapolis, they averaged 46.4 points per game.

Saeed Blacknall caught two of Trace McSorley's four touchdown passes as No. 7 Penn State rallied to beat No. 6 Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game. AP Photo/AJ Mast
Penn State ended the season with nine straight victories and now wears the crown of the nation's best conference.

The Badger defense gave up only 6.5 points per game in the second half heading into the championship game.

Penn state is definitely more deserving than Michigan. OSU has a better resume. If you both had the same record, PSU without a doubt.
Let's face it, you lost to an unranked Pittsburgh team where you gave up 40 points then you lost by 40 to michigan.
Doesn't sound too deserving to me.

Penn state is definitely more deserving than Michigan. OSU has a better resume. If you both had the same record, PSU without a doubt.
Let's face it, you lost to an unranked Pittsburgh team where you gave up 40 points then you lost by 40 to michigan.

m-go-blow-men-s-t-shirt.jpg

Ah, but Pitt is now ranked having also knocked off top 4 Clemson and the Michigan loss was only 39, not 40, so you fail to make your point. :)

Reactions: Goblue12334

You're right....But if Penn St doesn't get in over Ohio St or Washington. What is the point of the committee?

They are supposed to factor in something like how a team is playing now compared to Sept. Put weight on the conference championships and head to head wins. Take strength of schedule into account i.e. reward or punish based on ooc scheduling. If they weigh one more loss three months ago more than the other factors than what is the point? Just go back to the computers.

I am so sick of the Michigan game being thrown in Penn State's face like all you have to do is mention the score and the mic drop follows. Penn State was missing SIX defensive starters in that game plus another player was ejected in the first half due to a bogus targeting call. I am not saying the loss shouldn't count, but there needs to be consideration for the fact that Penn State was so short handed. If the final score of that game had been 28-17 Penn State would likely be in. That is why context matters.

I am so sick of the Michigan game being thrown in Penn State's face like all you have to do is mention the score and the mic drop follows. Penn State was missing SIX defensive starters in that game plus another player was ejected in the first half due to a bogus targeting call. I am not saying the loss shouldn't count, but there needs to be consideration for the fact that Penn State was so short handed. If the final score of that game had been 28-17 Penn State would likely be in. That is why context matters.
You lost to Pitt!
The other teams only lost 1 game!!

You lost to Pitt!

Ahhh, the scUM fans can be sanctimonious and lecture PSU fans again about something, so here they come. Those losses to Iowa and tOSU really shut them up for a bit. I am only consoled by the fact that Jimmy and his team will be picking their noses down in Orlando come bowl season.

Here's an idea, keep yourself to your own board, talking about how your coach's temper tantrum during the tOSU game cost you a chance to play for a national championship, you sanctimonious a$$.

And repeat after me...THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY NITTANY LIONS -YOUR 2016 BIG TEN CHAMPIONS!!!! Enjoy third place!

How did the Buckeyes do this weekend? Did they win their game? Oh, I forget, the Big Ten Championship Game was played between the Badgers and Nittany Lions and the Nittany Lions are league champions. The Buckeyes aren't.

You lost to Pitt!

I know we lost to Pitt, but they are now ranked and Temple will also probably be ranked now. That means two out of the three non conference teams we played will be ranked at the end of the season. The best team Washington played in September was probably Rutgers. They should not be rewarded for that. You seem to be such a big fan of math so remember that while Ohio State may have one fewer loss they also played one fewer game.

You lost to Pitt!

Here are some numbers for you to chew on:
1-2 Your record in games played outside the state of Michigan this year. You had the most favorable schedule I have ever seen in 40 years of watching college football and still managed to lose 2 games despite playing with kids from two top 10 recruiting classes brought in by Hoke.

1-2 Your record in the last 3 games of the season, which includes a loss to a team we beat ONE week before you played them 41-14 and a loss to a team we beat 24-21.

43+1 The number of players, AT A MINIMUM, who are either seniors or going pro who you will lose next year.

4 The number of senior starters who played for PSU last night. We are bringing everything back next year.

6-7-8 The number of players at the LB position on the depth chart who played the majority of the game this year in Ann Arbor. That included a walk-on wrestler.

10/21 The date you come to Happy Valley next year and get motor boated by the defending BIG East Division and Conference Champions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT