ADVERTISEMENT

Our staff’s approach to injury disclosures

A nice middle ground here would be great.. maybe hold the nature of the injury but a bit more info on actual time line would be nice.. I mean if Cael came out and said , black and white, no grey... Cenzo and Keener are expected out until "------". At least we would then know it is a 2 week thing.. a 4 week thing.. In other words what to expect each match.. The absolute smoke screen is what I think ticks people off a bit.. This wouldn't violate anyone's privacy either.

A nice middle ground here would be great.. maybe hold the nature of the injury but a bit more info on actual time line would be nice.. I mean if Cael came out and said , black and white, no grey... Cenzo and Keener are expected out until "------". At least we would then know it is a 2 week thing.. a 4 week thing.. In other words what to expect each match.. The absolute smoke screen is what I think ticks people off a bit.. This wouldn't violate anyone's privacy either.

The problem is when you do that, if Cenzo and Keener aren't ready at the end of their expected recovery window, then the attention turns toward the athlete even harder. Questions like "what's wrong? what is taking so long?" That has the same effect and it can lead to putting athletes out there that aren't physically ready to compete. I'd rather we say nothing than try to compromise on injury windows.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Personally, I’m fine with how our coaches handle injuries. It’s the Information Age and our staff gives out as little as possible! The less we know, the less our opponents know! I coach and I like to play things right to the best too when possible...I get it!

Reactions: dbldoofus
Apparently some sources are telling the FRL guys that Cenzo's issues are weight related.
:rolleyes:

Nope. We don't have a propaganda problem. Move along.

Let's pretend for a moment that you are a doctor. When you make a diagnosis, would you ever tell a patient, "You'll be back in four weeks," or you look at the wrestling calendar and say, "You'll be back by the Indiana dual?"

Reactions: tikk10
Apparently some sources are telling the FRL guys that Cenzo's issues are weight related.
:rolleyes:

Nope. We don't have a propaganda problem. Move along.
Who's this "we" you speak of, kemosabe?

YOU have a propaganda problem. Certainly the coaches don't. Frankly I don't either, because there's not one damn thing I can do about it regardless.

Reactions: diggerpup
Who's this "we" you speak of, kemosabe?

YOU have a propaganda problem. Certainly the coaches don't. Frankly I don't either, because there's not one damn thing I can do about it regardless.

we = fanbase.

Two things pop into my mind. One, as fans, I don't think we are entitled to injury information. Two, I dealt with injuries a fair amount as an athlete and every injury is a new situation. Other people with similar injuries can give you some idea of possible recovery times, etc., but that's not necessarily relevant to any individual.

So what's your take on Cenzo's weight issues?
I didn't listen to the Flo Yentas this morning but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they didn't disclose their source for that tidbit you're running hog wild with.

I agree. It's BS. And yet we have people giving out this info to detract from injury discussion.
You took it further than I did. I don't know if it's BS or not. I'm just not getting lathered up over it.

I agree. It's BS. And yet we have people giving out this info to detract from injury discussion.

What people gave out this info to detract from injury discussion? YOU are the only one that brought that up. ROTFLMAO. :oops:

So I listened to FRL and heard them say about Cenzo having weight issues from a few sources. Not sure who they heard it from but for them to mention makes me wonder if there is some truth to it? He did miss weight twice two years ago at tourneys I believe.

I know a person close to me who just graduated from PSU, we talk wrestling a lot, and he said something interesting to me about Cenzo. He brought it up to me out of the blue, and this was before the season even started. Anyway I am not saying what i heard. I am not starting a rumor, but it makes me think about the whole weight thing they mentioned today.

If it is an injury I hope he gets better soon. Cael can keep all this stuff private, I get it and have no problem with it. But with no info on the matter of course fans on message boards are going to be speculating, especially with a returning national champion we hope to see back on the mat.

The thing that's crazy if it's a weight issue is that he's not a tall kid..he doesn't look like a huge 165..very odd..hopefully it all gets worked out. Imagine PSU this year without Cenzo? There goes title hopes. Yes I'm spolied and want another title!

So I listened to FRL and heard them say about Cenzo having weight issues from a few sources. Not sure who they heard it from but for them to mention makes me wonder if there is some truth to it? He did miss weight twice two years ago at tourneys I believe.

I know a person close to me who just graduated from PSU, we talk wrestling a lot, and he said something interesting to me about Cenzo. He brought it up to me out of the blue, and this was before the season even started. Anyway I am not saying what i heard. I am not starting a rumor, but it makes me think about the whole weight thing they mentioned today.

If it is an injury I hope he gets better soon. Cael can keep all this stuff private, I get it and have no problem with it. But with no info on the matter of course fans on message boards are going to be speculating, especially with a returning national champion we hope to see back on the mat.
In one of the articles Tom provided after the Lehigh match, Cael was quoted to the effect that during the match he was thinking the staff had made a mistake in not wrestling Cenzo. To me that indicated Cenzo could have wrestled, but the staff decided to play it very safe. I think Cenzo is good to go (even though I earlier predicted we wouldn't see him until January).

Reactions: James Toney
In one of the articles Tom provided after the Lehigh match, Cael was quoted to the effect that during the match he was thinking the staff had made a mistake in not wrestling Cenzo. To me that indicated Cenzo could have wrestled, but the staff decided to play it very safe. I think Cenzo is good to go (even though I earlier predicted we wouldn't see him until January).

This sounds helpful; do you remember which one?

The thing that's crazy if it's a weight issue is that he's not a tall kid..he doesn't look like a huge 165..very odd..hopefully it all gets worked out. Imagine PSU this year without Cenzo? There goes title hopes. Yes I'm spolied and want another title!

Maybe I'm on an island here, but most (not all) posters seem to assume anything they hear or read is true so many assume Cenzo has a problem making weight. I am just the opposite. I am skeptical of everything I hear and read when it isn't backed up by anything but speculation or opinion. As I say I may be on an island by myself here

Since all we can do is speculate, here's mine:

Minor injury lead to a disruption of weight management protocols, leading to perhaps a more drastic cut--maybe he wasn't going to make weight for Lehigh, or maybe he was, but not without a price to the gas tank.

As a fan, sure I want all the inside intel I can get. But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, and I'm happy someone with Cael's temperament is in charge of making the decision on what to divulge instead of all of us here. Like it or not, "controlling the message" is D1 Athletics 101 these days, and I think our team is pretty good at it overall.

Maybe I'm on an island here, but most (not all) posters seem to assume anything they hear or read is true so many assume Cenzo has a problem making weight. I am just the opposite. I am skeptical of everything I hear and read when it isn't backed up by anything but speculation or opinion. As I say I may be on an island by myself here

I'm skeptical as well..just speculating on the speculation. Not going to get a straight answer from our staff, FRL is a major media source and they put it out there. Most times they are right about this kind of stuff. Obviously they can be wrong as well..who knows? All I know is I want to see Cenzo back on the mat healthy whether that means an injury or weight in check

Since all we can do is speculate, here's mine:

Minor injury lead to a disruption of weight management protocols, leading to perhaps a more drastic cut--maybe he wasn't going to make weight for Lehigh, or maybe he was, but not without a price to the gas tank.

As a fan, sure I want all the inside intel I can get. But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, and I'm happy someone with Cael's temperament is in charge of making the decision on what to divulge instead of all of us here. Like it or not, "controlling the message" is D1 Athletics 101 these days, and I think our team is pretty good at it overall.

Well, he is an Italian....so there's always the good home cooking explanation :)

Last edited:
Happy my dad is my dad. I know when a PSU wrestler is injured before he even becomes injured.

Reactions: Ski
I'm skeptical as well..just speculating on the speculation. Not going to get a straight answer from our staff, FRL is a major media source and they put it out there. Most times they are right about this kind of stuff. Obviously they can be wrong as well..who knows? All I know is I want to see Cenzo back on the mat healthy whether that means an injury or weight in check

Pish, I am also skeptical that weight management is the reason why Cenzo didn't wrestle against Lehigh. What I am 100% certain of is that Cenzo did incur an injury to his shoulder in the Friday night Binghamton Open. The decision to not wrestle Cenzo in the Keystone open was made either that Friday night or sometime Saturday morning. I was made aware of Cenzo's injury around 6:00 Saturday evening from somebody very close to the team. I'm not claiming to be an insider but I am good friends with somebody who is and that person occasionally shares information with me.

So here's what we know at this point. Cenzo wrestles in Binghamton Dual and incurs a shoulder injury. Two days later Cael holds Cenzo out of the Keystone Open for precautionary reasons to prevent further injury to the shoulder.Two weeks transpire between team events and Cenzo does not wrestle in the Lehigh dual. Post match, Cael is quoted in the press that he and the coaches were having 2nd thoughts on sitting Cenzo.

Maybe I'm missing something but I have not heard or seen anything to make me concerned about Cenzo and a possible weight management issue. Is there reason to have ongoing concern about the overall well being of Cenzo's shoulder? Uhhh....Yep. Unfortunately that is the case for any wrestler with a shoulder issue as they often times tend to linger. My guess is that the coaches considered many potential match scenarios and chose to sit Cenzo. That strategy seemed to work out okay with a little bit of early season drama thrown in.

My advice to Cael would be to sit Cenzo for the Indiana Dual as well to give Cenzo another 3+ weeks before the Scuffle to further recover.

Pish, I am also skeptical that weight management is the reason why Cenzo didn't wrestle against Lehigh. What I am 100% certain of is that Cenzo did incur an injury to his shoulder in the Friday night Binghamton Open. The decision to not wrestle Cenzo in the Keystone open was made either that Friday night or sometime Saturday morning. I was made aware of Cenzo's injury around 6:00 Saturday evening from somebody very close to the team. I'm not claiming to be an insider but I am good friends with somebody who is and that person occasionally shares information with me.

So here's what we know at this point. Cenzo wrestles in Binghamton Dual and incurs a shoulder injury. Two days later Cael holds Cenzo out of the Keystone Open for precautionary reasons to prevent further injury to the shoulder.Two weeks transpire between team events and Cenzo does not wrestle in the Lehigh dual. Post match, Cael is quoted in the press that he and the coaches were having 2nd thoughts on sitting Cenzo.

Maybe I'm missing something but I have not heard or seen anything to make me concerned about Cenzo and a possible weight management issue. Is there reason to have ongoing concern about the overall well being of Cenzo's shoulder? Uhhh....Yep. Unfortunately that is the case for any wrestler with a shoulder issue as they often times tend to linger. My guess is that the coaches considered many potential match scenarios and chose to sit Cenzo. That strategy seemed to work out okay with a little bit of early season drama thrown in.

My advice to Cael would be to sit Cenzo for the Indiana Dual as well to give Cenzo another 3+ weeks before the Scuffle to further recover.

Thanks for that. Now go take a nap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT