ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What's your BWI Popularity Index??

simons96

Feb 3, 2013
Plano, TX
just because I am bored . . . calculate your BWI Popularity Index:

BWI PI = # of likes/# of posts * 100 (%)

so for me, my BWI PI = 863/6401 * 100 (%) = 13.5%

so obvious the more "popular" you are, the higher your percentage of posts that get "liked"

who has the highest? who has the lowest? I can venture a few guess LOL.

and to eliminate the obvious homers (people who post rarely), minimum 500 posts.

Reactions: 91Joe95
says the guy with a BWI PI of 86.6% :cool:

I'm damn cool, making the scene. In fact, I have usurped cr66's role of "making the world a better place just by showing up." Yeah, I'm pretty bad-ass.

cooldude.jpg

I'm damn cool, making the scene. In fact, I have usurped cr66's role of "making the world a better place just by showing up." Yeah, I'm pretty bad-ass.

cooldude.jpg

dude where'd you get that pic of CR66? he is pretty awesome! Epic!! When he walks into Jasna Polana, you can hear the record player skip and scratch and come to dead silence. cuz he dat cool!

This sort of "ranking" is biased against long-time members since the like feature came along just a few months ago.
More than simple bias. It's just a stupid topic. Anyone who has been contributing here for any amount of time would be aware of that. Forgive my bitterness but the company I work for has developed scorecarding that mirrors this type of bull rap data

dude where'd you get that pic of CR66? he is pretty awesome! Epic!! When he walks into Jasna Polana, you can hear the record player skip and scratch and come to dead silence. cuz he dat cool!

I have modeled my life after him. jim carnes is all that and more. By the way, don't mess with me. Like him, I will sue you.

:confused:

Without even looking I can confidently state 'infinity.' Its a mathematical term, greater than some, look it up.

Reactions: simons96
I have modeled my life after him. jim carnes is all that and more. By the way, don't mess with me. Like him, I will sue you.

:confused:

still waiting for those papers from Carnes. crikey, haven't even received a cease and desist letter for my collection.

For those in this thread other than Bob that I hit 'like' on, I swear they weren't pity likes.

Reactions: simons96

so obvious the more "popular" you are, the higher your percentage of posts that get "liked"

and to eliminate the obvious homers (people who post rarely), minimum 500 posts.

I don't give a rats ass what mine is.

I don't pander to the crowd; never have,...never will.

Reactions: step.eng69

It's an important factor to keep an eye on. It's an indication on whether or not people find value in your posts. If I was down around say 1%, where you can assume that most of your likes are "pity likes", I would realize that people find my posts worthless and just stop posting. This is a public message board, if people don't care what you are saying, what is the point of posting? I agree with other posters that it's not an exact science, since many posts came in before the change. Someone with many pre-change posts probably posts at a higher rate, and thus should have more likes. I've also had many likes deleted because of other childish posters.

You could use the join date and todays date to develop a posting rate You could use the changeover date and todays date to develop a like rate. The ratio of the two would give you likes/day.

(8/3/2015) - (6/1/2010) = 1889 Days since joined
(8/3/2015) - (3/7/2015) = 149 Days since changeover
2198/1889 = 1.16 PPD (posts per day)
195/149 = 1.31 LPD (likes per day)
LPD/PPD = 1.12 LPP (likes per post)

While not perfect, as someone could be posting faster or slower during a given time frame, it gives a pretty good indication.

Reactions: fairgambit
It's an important factor to keep an eye on. It's an indication on whether or not people find value in your posts. If I was down around say 1%, where you can assume that most of your likes are "pity likes", I would realize that people find my posts worthless and just stop posting. This is a public message board, if people don't care what you are saying, what is the point of posting? I agree with other posters that it's not an exact science, since many posts came in before the change. Someone with many pre-change posts probably posts at a higher rate, and thus should have more likes. I've also had many likes deleted because of other childish posters.

You could use the join date and todays date to develop a posting rate You could use the changeover date and todays date to develop a like rate. The ratio of the two would give you likes/day.

(8/3/2015) - (6/1/2010) = 1889 Days since joined
(8/3/2015) - (3/7/2015) = 149 Days since changeover
2198/1889 = 1.16 PPD (posts per day)
195/149 = 1.31 LPD (likes per day)
LPD/PPD = 1.12 LPP (likes per post)

While not perfect, as someone could be posting faster or slower during a given time frame, it gives a pretty good indication.

While I suppose that whether anyone finds value in my posts, or "likes" them, is of interest to me, there is no way in hell that it is even close to the most important thing. "What is the point of posting???" WTF? The point is to say something that you want to say or that needs saying, in the way you want to say it. Whether people like it or not comes later and is of almost no consequence.

I do not want to post on a board where everyone is trying to trim his sails so that others like what he says.

While I suppose that whether anyone finds value in my posts, or "likes" them, is of interest to me, there is no way in hell that it is even close to the most important thing. "What is the point of posting???" WTF? The point is to say something that you want to say or that needs saying, in the way you want to say it. Whether people like it or not comes later and is of almost no consequence.

I do not want to post on a board where everyone is trying to trim his sails so that others like what he says.

Calm down, no one ever said it was the most important thing. No one ever said that you need to alter how you post to get people to like it, and quite frankly it's odd that is what you jump to.

Obviously whether people like it or not comes later, not sure why that needed to be said, but it is relevant. If you are posting stuff that you think absolutely has to be said, and people just don't seem to care, maybe you were wrong? It's valuable feedback on how you spend your time.

Calm down, no one ever said it was the most important thing. No one ever said that you need to alter how you post to get people to like it, and quite frankly it's odd that is what you jump to.

Obviously whether people like it or not comes later, not sure why that needed to be said, but it is relevant. If you are posting stuff that you think absolutely has to be said, and people just don't seem to care, maybe you were wrong? It's valuable feedback on how you spend your time.

one has to wonder at the psychology of posters like CR66, who are relentless, clearly unpopular, not well received on the board . . . yet Jim comes here to spew his nonsense over and over again. it would be like going to a bar where no one appreciates your drunken nonsense. why would you return?

Do I care if I get a "like" to my comment? yes, I affirms that somebody actually read the thing (which is more than I expect to get at home).

I don't post very much and will never rise to the popular kids table here ... don't really bother me.

If you get a like from me, I probably spewed coffee when I read your post.

demlion, I'm shocked. I thought that by now I would understand where you were coming from by the general tone and tenor of your posts. Geez. I always assumed that you were just trying to be liked, because you're so $+#_&^@ agreeable. :D

Last edited:
one has to wonder at the psychology of posters like CR66, who are relentless, clearly unpopular, not well received on the board . . . yet Jim comes here to spew his nonsense over and over again. it would be like going to a bar where no one appreciates your drunken nonsense. why would you return?

Exactly what I was getting at!

I've received a large number of "likes" but I've never considered altering my posts to get them and often I'm surprised at what others find enjoyable. Sometimes I will post something that I consider very good and I get no response at all and other times I will toss out an off the cuff remark and 4 people will find it "likeable". Generally, for better or worse, my posts tend to be lighthearted. When I started posting here I did it with the intention that it would be a diversion from the pressures of everyday life. As a result, I have tried to stay away from "Test Board" type posts. That is still my focus, but with the Sandusky Scandal, Penn State's incompetent leadership, and the world's many problems, from time to time we all have to get serious and let others know how we feel. In the end, stating the obvious, we all need to just be ourselves and post accordingly, whether people like it or not. The wide range of opinion we have here on any given topic is what continues to bring me back day after day.

demlion, I'm shocked. I thought that by now I would understand where you were coming from by the general tone and tenor of your posts. Geez. I always assumed that you were just trying to be liked, because you're so $+#_&^@ agreeable. :D
HAA! F%$#@ you very much, you F@#$% F#$%^face. :)

Reactions: mn78psu83
I've received a large number of "likes" but I've never considered altering my posts to get them and often I'm surprised at what others find enjoyable. Sometimes I will post something that I consider very good and I get no response at all and other times I will toss out an off the cuff remark and 4 people will find it "likeable". Generally, for better or worse, my posts tend to be lighthearted. When I started posting here I did it with the intention that it would be a diversion from the pressures of everyday life. As a result, I have tried to stay away from "Test Board" type posts. That is still my focus, but with the Sandusky Scandal, Penn State's incompetent leadership, and the world's many problems, from time to time we all have to get serious and let others know how we feel. In the end, stating the obvious, we all need to just be ourselves and post accordingly, whether people like it or not. The wide range of opinion we have here on any given topic is what continues to bring me back day after day.

One of the reasons I like your posts so much is that I know you do not alter them to fit some sort of mold. You also post things at times that you must know not everyone will agree with, so I know you do not trim those sails much. OTOH, I never "like" Felli's posts, but I am glad he is here. I would hate to see this place become a sump of conformity.

Sometimes I will post something that I consider very good and I get no response at all and other times I will toss out an off the cuff remark and 4 people will find it "likeable".

This is something I can really relate to. In this thread alone it has happened to me. I thought that the idea for figuring out your "likes per post" by using your post/day since you signed up, and your likes/day since the changeover was pretty slick. Not one like. My follow up post took no thought what so ever, and it has gotten multiple likes.

In all seriousness fairgambit your post is precisely the way I approach this site. I’ve been observing information in the posts on this board, FOS and the lion’s den since 2005. Evidently in 2012 I must have created an account?? o_OThis year the local WILK dickjocky, Corbett, was still attacking Joe and felt I had to post to the community. Consequently, I was called a troll.. LOL… for bringing conversation of this topic to the board.

Now…again, in all seriousness fairgambit, I have put portions of your post in bold text which parallels my approach to the threads. In addition I believe ‘a like’ to a post should be displayed but not accumulated over the history of the member. Just my opinion.

I would have to guess based on sig pics that psuro would lead the pack in likes..... Pre switch days maybe Kasandro too.

This is something I can really relate to. In this thread alone it has happened to me. I thought that the idea for figuring out your "likes per post" by using your post/day since you signed up, and your likes/day since the changeover was pretty slick. Not one like. My follow up post took no thought what so ever, and it has gotten multiple likes.
Actually, that just changed. In my haste, I missed your initial post which, I agree, is good, so I put a like there.

Reactions: demlion
In all seriousness fairgambit your post is precisely the way I approach this site. I’ve been observing information in the posts on this board, FOS and the lion’s den since 2005. Evidently in 2012 I must have created an account?? o_OThis year the local WILK dickjocky, Corbett, was still attacking Joe and felt I had to post to the community. Consequently, I was called a troll.. LOL… for bringing conversation of this topic to the board.
Now…again, in all seriousness fairgambit, I have put portions of your post in bold text which parallels my approach to the threads. In addition I believe ‘a like’ to a post should be displayed but not accumulated over the history of the member. Just my opinion.
I do know that you have taken some flak that I thought was unjustified, but I guess that happens to us all.

not an accurate measure using all posts. You would need to use just the number of posts since the "like" feature was implemented.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT