ADVERTISEMENT

Oblie's Observations - Outcoached, Undermanned, Crazy, Help! (OUCH)

OK, we lost our best DT and have had substantial injuries to QB and three RBs. BB did a genius move with 7OL and 2TEs. I've never seen that in my life. But we still only gave up three points. So suddenly, the team that beat Wisconsin at Wisconsin and Auburn can't beat a 2-5 Ill? What changed? Clearly, BB was very creative. The weather was a factor. it was a perfect trap game. Staff didn't have the kids prepared. Nursing a small lead played into it.

In the end, CJF is too loyal to SC IMHO>. Having said that, do we have another QB on this team that can lead the offense? IDK. We all knew QB was the Achilles heel of this team. What was feared has come to pass. Next week is a new week. Never defeat yourself, there are enough people who want to defeat you to go around.
Next week is certainly a new week. Clifford is most likely in worse shape than this past week, tbe opponent is much, much better, it is a road game, it is at night, and it is against one of the brilliant offensive minds in College Football.

Any reason beyond that and platitudes to be optimistic?

Solid write up... I get that Pry wasn't ready for the 7 Olinemen... but at halftime zero adjustments? Even try something... anything???? Try a 5-2 I get it would be difficult for responsibilities on pass plays but at least try it. They had zero answers and tried literally nothing. Answer was to stay in the base 4-3 ... Force them to throw it.... they sat back and just allowed them to set the edge and carve up the defense. Illinois RB was very good and tough to tackle. I just don't get zero adjustments to defense at halftime. Offensively Clifford looked good on the first 2 drives after that progressively got worse. Personally I would have tried Roberson some in the 2nd half to try and wake the offense up. Maybe really run the RPO with him. Clifford was obviously hurting and under/overthrowing open receivers. This game was beyond frustrating. Bieliema totally outcoached PSU. Franklin had 2 weeks to get this team ready and this was what they came up with? I am starting to see it is what it is.... Franklin will lose 1-2 games a season he is supposed to win. Most seasons with him as HC PSU will have a 2-3 loss season.
Agree, especially with bringing in Roberson. I though for a couple of the overtimes that they should of brought him in and let him run/pass, at that point he may have been more mobile and possibly more accurate at throwing as well. Plus after the third overtime, you could almost feel the outcome was not going to be in our favor, so why not give the kid another shot!

Reactions: BBrown
Next week is certainly a new week. Clifford is most likely in worse shape than this past week, tbe opponent is much, much better, it is a road game, it is at night, and it is against one of the brilliant offensive minds in College Football.

Any reason beyond that and platitudes to be optimistic?
because there is no reason to be pessimistic! I never defeat myself. I let the opponent do it. I prepare as hard as I can and have a winning attitude. If I get beat, so be it. the other guy was just better. I have no regrets. But if I defeat myself, if Is stink it up only to see that I had an opportunity and wasn't prepared to take advantage of it, I regret that for a lifetime.

because there is no reason to be pessimistic! I never defeat myself. I let the opponent do it. I prepare as hard as I can and have a winning attitude. If I get beat, so be it. the other guy was just better. I have no regrets. But if I defeat myself, if Is stink it up only to see that I had an opportunity and wasn't prepared to take advantage of it, I regret that for a lifetime.
Neither of us is playing or coaching. So optimism/pessimism is irrelevant.

I was looking for an honest answer - maybe using some of your observations about the team, the coaches and their capabilities and strategy.

Neither of us is playing or coaching. So optimism/pessimism is irrelevant.

I was looking for an honest answer - maybe using some of your observations about the team, the coaches and their capabilities and strategy.
I don't look at it that way. I think energy is cumulative. Its an attitude. I never defeat myself, but have been defeated many times.

I don't look at it that way. I think energy is cumulative. Its an attitude. I never defeat myself, but have been defeated many times.
So you can affect the play at the Shoe Saturday? Just by believing?

Must be a superpower?

So you can affect the play at the Shoe Saturday? Just by believing?

Must be a superpower?
well, then, why watch or be a "fan?" Seems like, with your path, being a fan is not just meaningless, but a waste of time.

Reactions: royboy
Agree, especially with bringing in Roberson. I though for a couple of the overtimes that they should of brought him in and let him run/pass, at that point he may have been more mobile and possibly more accurate at throwing as well. Plus after the third overtime, you could almost feel the outcome was not going to be in our favor, so why not give the kid another shot!
Yeah, or think of it -- hey, we have a guy who is at least qualified to run a wildcat type play, let's try that.

Absolutely 100%. Especially after they failed to score on a first possession. Putting him would have forced their defense to make serious changes. Confused them. Took them out of rhythm. Worse case scenario ......even if he fumbles .....as long as it wasn’t a 97 yard scope and score......we would have just gone to next overtime.

Reactions: psu2016
well, then, why watch or be a "fan?" Seems like, with your path, being a fan is not just meaningless, but a waste of time.
Being a fan and being positive does not mean I believe that my positivity can influence the game.

Perhaps you believe it does. God bless you.

Being a fan and being positive does not mean I believe that my positivity can influence the game.

Don’t think he said that....even once. He is saying that should be their attitude. Believing in themselves makes a positive result far more likely than negativity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax

Being a fan is incrementally an improvement to the program. Home field advantage and revenue streams that can be spent on coaches, facilities and the rest are uber important to programs. There is not a sustained program in the USA that has crappy fan participation and revenue.

ADVERTISEMENT