ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What movie would the highest percentage of Americans have seen?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
What movie would the highest percentage of Americans have seen? The Wizard of Oz? Do you know anyone that hasn't seen The Wizard of Oz? A Christmas Story?

According to IMDB

1. Titanic
2. E.T The Extraterrestrial
3. Wizard of Oz
4. Star Wars Episode IV
5. The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King.

Ishtar not in the top five? Pffft.
I've never seen two of the top 5...ET and Lord; but, I have seen Ishtar.

Probably one of the Disney staples everyone’s been showing their kids for decades. Bambi, Pinocchio, snow white, Peter Pan, etc.

I think its a movie called Fly or to Fly, they show it for free in the Smithsonian.

I like the idea on Christmas movies so I'll toss in on "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!" - the original release not the multiple live action and animated versions over the last decade.

I like the idea on Christmas movies so I'll toss in on "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!" - the original release not the multiple live action and animated versions over the last decade.

the only problem with that is only 70% of the country is Christian.

From this thread... I've never seen The Sound of Music, It's a Wonderful Life or The Godfather in their entirety. The Godfather is on my short list to watch, the others not so much.

My first thought was ET or Titanic. But I’ve never seen Titanic. The old school ones like wizard of oz and gone with the wind were probably good bets before, but honestly doubt that most young people watch movies that old.

How many kids saw the Godfather? How many young adults have seen it? I just recently saw it for the first time not that long ago even though I read the book long ago. I know my mom has never seen Star Wars. How many elderly senior citizens have?

Good thought on the Disneys but lets not consider animated movies for this one. Good thought on E.T.

I never saw Lord of the Rings.

According to IMDB

1. Titanic
2. E.T The Extraterrestrial
3. Wizard of Oz
4. Star Wars Episode IV
5. The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King.

Ishtar not in the top five? Pffft.
0 for 5 here

I think the IMDB list is the most watched movies of all time, which is not the same as the OP's question of "movie the highest percentage of Americans have seen."
My guess to the OPs question would be Jaws, given it's release date, which would include a huge % of Boomers seeing it in the theater. It's also enough of a classic, and on cable enough, that a fairly high % of Gen Xs, Millenials and Gen Zs have also watched it.

I've never seen two of the top 5...ET and Lord; but, I have seen Ishtar.
Shocking but I’ve seen all 5– if you include the bits of oz I saw as seeing the film. Otherwise, 4.

The answer in my opinion is a classic Disney movie like Snow White or Cinderella. Most people 50 plus have certainly seen those, and anyone who is a young kid today or had young kids have as well.

Too many youngsters haven’t seen the old classics like The Sound of Music or Oz in my opinion to make them tops any longer.

Home Alone is also up there, but maybe not so much for the older crowd.

I've never seen the old Christmas movies or kid's movies like E.T., Wizard of Oz or any of the Disney movies that I can think of. I have seen the Godfather movies multiple times, the Star Wars movies, Roadhouse, Point Break and just about any good western ever made.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT