ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

Here was your post:

But, but, but, BTW, all those unvaxxed dimwits stuffing our hospitals it turns out are first and foremost stupid. And secondly, pussies. I guess you could throw in selfish as well.​
Selfish, Stupid, pussies. That’s a summation everyone can grasp.​
I see a reference to "unvaxxed dimwits" and other comments like "stupid" and "pussies". I see no reference to age, natural immunity, comorbidities...etc. Just blanket name calling for anyone who disagrees that healthy 5 year olds should get three shots.
Ummmm, previously you and I have had at least one exchange where I said vaccinating your kids is between you, your child and pediatrician. I respect that and had made that clear to you previously.

That natural immunity sure came in handy for the unvaxxed dead ones.

So, those communication policies are absolute bullshit. They amount to censorship, nothing more.
I strongly disagree. Experts should be free to talk (in an official capacity) about the areas that they are experts in. A lawyer should not post medical advice on his law firms website. To clarify, government scientists ARE free to discuss policy as a private citizen, just not with their federal "hat" on.
Obviously, we were a better country when Feynman and Einstein were living. Our government has deteriorated to complete shit since then. It's a disgrace.
I didn't have any first hand knowledge of the operations of the federal government during the middle part of the 20th century, but I can tell you that the science arms of the US government are operating at a higher level today than they were back then.
Your deference to politicians to make policy decisions is really weak. Example - you guys let Wolf, Cuomo, etc. kill thousands and thousands of old people by putting sick people in old folks' homes.
I didn't "let" them do anything. My science has nothing to with covid.
In my opinion, you had a moral obligation to speak up and explain to the public how bad those policies were. You let people with the IQ of a rock kill thousands because it's "not according to policy".
See above.
I have to say, if that's the attitude you guys take, I'm even more convinced that cutting government spending to next to nothing is the right decision.
Ahhh, you are one of those people. Well, you can try to elect congressional representatives that will do that and see how that works out for you.

Ummmm, previously you and I have had at least one exchange where I said vaccinating your kids is between you, your child and pediatrician. I respect that and had made that clear to you previously.

That natural immunity sure came in handy for the unvaxxed dead ones.
No Kids without underlying conditions SHOULD EVER BE VACCINATED FOR COVID--PERIOD. And definately not now since we know they do nothing for the IMACOLD variant, If you give your kid a mRNA vax now you are a MORON.

Hell if you're 50 and health you won't get very sick either!
Perhaps with the worst timing possible, The Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau, tested positive for COVID 19 today.

Hiding out in his mansion, hoping the 50,000+ truckers and half a million (minimum) protestors go away, that were surrounding the Parliment building in the city of Ottawa, the Capital of Canada yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
COPENHAGEN, Jan 31 (Reuters) - The BA.2 subvariant of the Omicron coronavirus variant, which has quickly taken over in Denmark, is more transmissible than the more common BA.1 and more able to infect vaccinated people, a Danish study has found.

The study, which analysed coronavirus infections in more than 8,500 Danish households between December and January, found that people infected with the BA.2 subvariant were roughly 33% more likely to infect others, compared to those infected with BA.1.

Worldwide, the "original" BA.1 subvariant accounts for more than 98% of Omicron cases, but its close cousin BA.2 has quickly become the dominant strain in Denmark, dethroning BA.1 in the second week of January.

"We conclude that Omicron BA.2 is inherently substantially more transmissible than BA.1, and that it also possesses immune-evasive properties that further reduce the protective effect of vaccination against infection," the study's researchers said.

The study, which has not yet been peer-reviewed, was conducted by researchers at Statens Serum Institut (SSI), Copenhagen University, Statistics Denmark and Technical University of Denmark.

No Kids without underlying conditions SHOULD EVER BE VACCINATED FOR COVID--PERIOD. And definately not now since we know they do nothing for the IMACOLD variant, If you give your kid a mRNA vax now you are a MORON.

Judgmental much?

Why don’t you elaborate a little bit on your qualifications as a doctor who dispenses advice routinely to patients.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Yeah, it’s actually happening and it’s kind of sad since it’s preventable. But what ever.
Its not happening, the same people are dying of covid that always died of covid-old or with underlying condtions.

If you give your kid a mRNA vax now you are a MORON.
Or you understand science and aren't a fear monger. But you do you...I don't have kids so it's not an issue for me personally. But people who are anti-science are an issue for me personally.

Or you understand science and aren't a fear monger. But you do you...I don't have kids so it's not an issue for me personally. But people who are anti-science are an issue for me personally.
I don't have any kids of that age so I'm glad I don't have to make that decision, but the science in Sweden at least is apparently at odds with science over here.

Last edited:
I don't have any kids of that age so I'm glad I don't have to make that decision, but the science in Sweden at lease is apparently at odds with science over here.

Pay no attention to the ‘mad-scientist’ PSU2UNC, or his 2 amigos tgar & LaJollaLion. They’ve got radical, pro-mRNA jab agendas and will stop at nothing to peddle their ‘vaccine the entire’ country propaganda, including children with no shame or concerns whatsoever. Likely paid to push the message wherever and whenever possible like many others.

I don't have any kids of that age so I'm glad I don't have to make that decision, but the science in Sweden at least is apparently at odds with science over here.

The policy/recommendations in Sweden are different from here. That does not mean the science is different. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine when policy is conflated with science.

The policy/recommendations in Sweden are different from here. That does not mean the science is different. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine when policy is conflated with science.
OK, I hear you but the policy is that in their scientific opinion, the risk of getting 5-11 year old kids vaccinated outweighs the benefits. Surely you're not suggesting they haven't taken science into account to make their policy.

OK, I hear you but the policy is that in their scientific opinion, the risk of getting 5-11 year old kids vaccinated outweighs the benefits. Surely you're not suggesting they haven't taken science into account to make their policy.
I assume they have and all it shows is that there are 2 opinions as to the application of science to public policy. To take dogmatic approaches to those with whom one disagrees ( as in you are a MORON ) is totally out of place.

Agreed..and the vax policies in the USA have failed to adjust to Omicron's much more infections but much less lethal footprint. I look at it as a sliding scale as to what age/situation people need to get vaccinated. for previous strains, where the risk of long-term health and death at risk, the slide moves to the left (0 on the left 100 on the right).

I'm not suggesting that, but there are inherent value judgements that exist in policy decisions that do not exist in the science.

Unrelated example, the science shows that cigarette smoking absolutely causes cancer. A government could make the decision to ban cigarettes completely, or ban them only for minors or not regulate them at all. Any of these policies takes the science into consideration but it balances that against a value judgement (in this case, personal freedom to choose).

Bringing it back to the Sweden example, they may have used a different calculus in their cost-benefit/risk-reward analysis than used here. But again, that's part of the policy process, not the science process.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I don't know. Utah data is very self-conflicting.

Here's what I was looking at:

Utah-Vax-vs-Unvaxxed.png

I see what you're saying, but besides the 30-day information that I copied and pasted, if you go to the graphs with the title below, scanning the numbers in the case graph also contradicts the 1.5X for a risk ratio since the start. It seems that it should be well north of 2X.

Seven-day Age Adjusted Case, Hospitalization, and Mortality Rates² in Unvaccinated and Vaccinated Utahns Aged 12+​

Case Rates Hospitalization Rates Mortality Rates

I'm not suggesting that, but there are inherent value judgements that exist in policy decisions that do not exist in the science.

Unrelated example, the science shows that cigarette smoking absolutely causes cancer. A government could make the decision to ban cigarettes completely, or ban them only for minors or not regulate them at all. Any of these policies takes the science into consideration but it balances that against a value judgement (in this case, personal freedom to choose).

Bringing it back to the Sweden example, they may have used a different calculus in their cost-benefit/risk-reward analysis than used here. But again, that's part of the policy process, not the science process.
Great points. But I'd add a few things....

• the math is the math - but the math may be deceptive. Case in point? People dying with instead of from COVID
  • Science is science, except when it is not. Science is not and is never "settled". Science needs to constantly be questioned. If not, we'd still be thinking the earth is round and the center of the universe. Science MUST always be open to dissenting opinions. Not suppressing, de-platforming or banning it.
  • Policy SHOULD be made with the best and most up-to-date math and science. But, as we know, it is not. Then policy becomes politics.
Bottom line? do your own research and make the best decisions for your family.

Great points. But I'd add a few things....

• the math is the math - but the math may be deceptive. Case in point? People dying with instead of from COVID
  • Science is science, except when it is not. Science is not and is never "settled". Science needs to constantly be questioned. If not, we'd still be thinking the earth is round and the center of the universe. Science MUST always be open to dissenting opinions. Not suppressing, de-platforming or banning it.
  • Policy SHOULD be made with the best and most up-to-date math and science. But, as we know, it is not. Then policy becomes politics.
Bottom line? do your own research and make the best decisions for your family.
I agree with your three bullet points (for the most part) but I take issue with your final statement (although I think this is just a question of semantics):

No one (I don't think, feel free to correct me if I am unaware of someone) on this board is "doing their own research" on covid. People are, at best, reading the research that others have done.

So while I encourage people to read the research that others have done, please make sure you are reading it either directly from the source (i.e. the peer reviewed journal articles, which can be daunting for many) or from a trusted scientific source, not from "Some Guy with a YouTube Channel".

The reason that the CDC makes recommendations is to save you the work of having to read 500+ journal articles (which even for those of us who have the technical ability to digest them is a lot of work). You can choose to disregard (or question) the guidance of the CDC, but please make sure your objections are grounded in the science, not in "well, I don't like what the CDC says" or "that isn't what happened to my great uncle" or "Joe Rogan told me something different."

I agree with your three bullet points (for the most part) but I take issue with your final statement (although I think this is just a question of semantics):

No one (I don't think, feel free to correct me if I am unaware of someone) on this board is "doing their own research" on covid. People are, at best, reading the research that others have done.

So while I encourage people to read the research that others have done, please make sure you are reading it either directly from the source (i.e. the peer reviewed journal articles, which can be daunting for many) or from a trusted scientific source, not from "Some Guy with a YouTube Channel".

The reason that the CDC makes recommendations is to save you the work of having to read 500+ journal articles (which even for those of us who have the technical ability to digest them is a lot of work). You can choose to disregard (or question) the guidance of the CDC, but please make sure your objections are grounded in the science, not in "well, I don't like what the CDC says" or "that isn't what happened to my great uncle" or "Joe Rogan told me something different."
Fair statements. But check the research of multiple sources and compare them. It is clear that the CDC has FUBARed this up. Mistake or on purpose, it doesn't really matter. After being three years into this, we are STILL going back and forth on "With or From" on COVID deaths and what, if any, difference masks make. I could have made, in 15 minutes, an on-line spreadsheet to determine your risk levels and if you should get the vaccine. And it could be updated to take into account the virus variables. If you haven't read the Fauci/Collins emails, the Vanity Fair article on the origins of the Wuhan virus and the Dr. Malone Joe Rogan blog post you should.

Just to be clear, I thought the FUBAR was incompetent. But incompetence doesn't move to suppress other opinions. The active move to suppress other opinions suggests that there are other motives at play.

Fair statements. But check the research of multiple sources and compare them. It is clear that the CDC has FUBARed this up. Mistake or on purpose, it doesn't really matter. After being three years into this, we are STILL going back and forth on "With or From" on COVID deaths and what, if any, difference masks make. I could have made, in 15 minutes, an on-line spreadsheet to determine your risk levels and if you should get the vaccine. And it could be updated to take into account the virus variables. If you haven't read the Fauci/Collins emails, the Vanity Fair article on the origins of the Wuhan virus and the Dr. Malone Joe Rogan blog post you should.

Just to be clear, I thought the FUBAR was incompetent. But incompetence doesn't move to suppress other opinions. The active move to suppress other opinions suggests that there are other motives at play.
I am neither defending nor criticizing the CDC. I will however point out that constructing useful policy for a novel virus for which our scientific understanding is rapidly evolving AND is mutating at a significant rate is challenging to say the least.

My primary concern is when peer reviewed science (not CDC policy) clearly shows one thing (e.g. "vaccines improve immune response") and Keyboard Warriors shout it down based on anything but science (e.g. "vaccines don't work").

Joe Rogan told me something different."

What did Joe tell you?

From my understanding, he's brought in scientists and researchers and doctors to speak about a narrative that doesn't fit the mainstream one. The same thing you have said people should do. No?

I'm not a listener of his podcast. And the few times I have, it certainly wasn't about the rona or vaccines. So maybe I'm off.

Very interesting, ol Neil removed his music from Spotify 7 years ago too. And after selling 50% of his catalog for millions, the $3000 per million streams Spotify payout is piss in a bucket.

I am neither defending nor criticizing the CDC. I will however point out that constructing useful policy for a novel virus for which our scientific understanding is rapidly evolving AND is mutating at a significant rate is challenging to say the least.

My primary concern is when peer reviewed science (not CDC policy) clearly shows one thing (e.g. "vaccines improve immune response") and Keyboard Warriors shout it down based on anything but science (e.g. "vaccines don't work").
There are almost no one that says vaccines don’t work. Most everyone acknowledges they have some impact but not full. The debate is how effective, for who, and the balance of plus vs minus.

Reactions: roswelllion
What did Joe tell you?

From my understanding, he's brought in scientists and researchers and doctors to speak about a narrative that doesn't fit the mainstream one. The same thing you have said people should do. No?

I'm not a listener of his podcast. And the few times I have, it certainly wasn't about the rona or vaccines. So maybe I'm off.

Very interesting, ol Neil removed his music from Spotify 7 years ago too. And after selling 50% of his catalog for millions, the $3000 per million streams Spotify payout is piss in a bucket.
I do not listen to Joe Rogan. I primarily remember him from the sitcom News Radio, in which he was quite funny. I remember being surprised he got into MMA and am aware he has a podcast but that's about it.

But here is the problem with any talk show like that:
1) Your average listener has no idea of who these "scientists and researchers" are. If the guests came on and said "Here's the paper we just published in Nature Genomics that supports my point" that would be great, but I am 99% sure they aren't doing that.

2) Most of what they are arguing isn't science, it's policy. Were shutdowns a good idea? Should we have masks in schools? Should vaccinations be required to fly on commercial airlines? These are all policy decisions and can be debated. But the key is that there is not one right answer. As I pointed out above, policy inherently involves value judgments. What is your risk tolerance? What level of uncertainty are you willing to live with? What level of personal freedom are you willing to temporarily suspend in the interest of public health? So people can debate what the most palatable (to them) answer are to these questions, but this isn't "debating science."

3) Neil Young is a hypocrite. He has an entire album that is anti-science.

There are almost no one that says vaccines don’t work. Most everyone acknowledges they have some impact but not full. The debate is how effective, for who, and the balance of plus vs minus.
Unfortunately, I think there are lot of people who are literally saying "vaccines don't work" (even on this thread).

Reactions: LaJollaLion

Sorry....that is where I get off. Cloth masks, for example, didn't work in 1918 yet here we are. And, if the CDC told us the truth about natural immunity and vaccines as it evolved with the different variants, I'd be OK. And, I am not mentioning the shaming and deplatforming (which Fauce seeded and supported) of opinions on these and other matters that proved correct are a bridge too far. Lastly, the collusion to shame people who had evidence that the virus was lab made tells me that there are nefarious issues behind the scenes.

No the science was the same, our people decided to do it anyway.

Sorry....that is where I get off. Cloth masks, for example, didn't work in 1918 yet here we are. And, if the CDC told us the truth about natural immunity and vaccines as it evolved with the different variants, I'd be OK. And, I am not mentioning the shaming and deplatforming (which Fauce seeded and supported) of opinions on these and other matters that proved correct are a bridge too far. Lastly, the collusion to shame people who had evidence that the virus was lab made tells me that there are nefarious issues behind the scenes.
Not sure how you transitioned from what I wrote to your reply (maybe you replied to the wrong person?)

For the record, I am of the opinion (having considered the evidence) that the virus was released from the lab (accidentally) but was probably not made in the lab (although it is not impossible). The people who originally shouted down any non-animal vector theory had worked with that lab before (and were defending it) or were concerned about national security issues (i.e. officially accusing china of this without solid proof is dicey).

On the other hand, I think there is real danger to allowing misinformation to be spread on the internet when there is a public health emergency involved. I'm not sure the proper way to manage that (there is obviously a fine line between fact checking and censorship)

Right because of different policy decisions. Same science + different value judgments = different policies. And that's OK.
no problem...I was only stating that is where we begin to disagree. You wronte
I am neither defending nor criticizing the CDC. I will however point out that constructing useful policy for a novel virus for which our scientific understanding is rapidly evolving AND is mutating at a significant rate is challenging to say the least.​
and that is fine. But that is where your opinion and mine differs. I do blame the CDC as issues known for decades didn't change. And, when we knew issues had changed, the CDC was, either way, slow or refused to change. Finally, not only didn't they change, they actively sought out to mislead and even harm on several occasions. I linked three times when they were caught red-handed.

Reactions: roswelllion and Ski
I do not listen to Joe Rogan.

But here is the problem with any talk show like that:
1) Your average listener has no idea of who these "scientists and researchers" are. If the guests came on and said "Here's the paper we just published in Nature Genomics that supports my point" that would be great, but I am 99% sure they aren't doing that.
So you are actually 100% uncertain.

Sometimes having an opposition view seems to be met with moved goal posts. Now average people need to familiar with all the scientists and researchers before they can listen to their viewpoint?

Seems likely you wouldn't state this if it was about the viewpoint you share.

Most of what they are arguing isn't science, it's policy. Were shutdowns a good idea? Should we have masks in schools? Should vaccinations be required to fly on commercial airlines? These are all policy decisions and can be debated. But the key is that there is not one right answer. As I pointed out above, policy inherently involves value judgments. What is your risk tolerance? What level of uncertainty are you willing to live with? What level of personal freedom are you willing to temporarily suspend in the interest of public health? So people can debate what the most palatable (to them) answer are to these questions, but this isn't "debating science."

Again, this feels like a moved goal post. How does one debate the science in your opinion? If science is the basis for policy, then different interpretations mean different things. The science has changed. The virus mutates. You can't vaccinate future versions that don't exist.

Not sure how you transitioned from what I wrote to your reply (maybe you replied to the wrong person?)

For the record, I am of the opinion (having considered the evidence) that the virus was released from the lab (accidentally) but was probably not made in the lab (although it is not impossible). The people who originally shouted down any non-animal vector theory had worked with that lab before (and were defending it) or were concerned about national security issues (i.e. officially accusing china of this without solid proof is dicey).

On the other hand, I think there is real danger to allowing misinformation to be spread on the internet when there is a public health emergency involved. I'm not sure the proper way to manage that (there is obviously a fine line between fact checking and censorship)
Really?

This is yet another way we were once better.

We settle it via open, fairly moderated debate.

Then, people can see who to trust, and who to not trust.

When the political scientists debated real scientists, in a real forum, it was obvious that they wouldn’t do it again.

Because the public came away with the correct opinion that the gubmint scientists were lying.

Looks like almost all States have peaked out and are now on sharp decline for COCID cases per John Hopkins website: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states
I think it will very interesting what happens here this month of February, do we see hospitalizations (what do cases mean right now with so many at home tests) go below their historical low points as the amount of natural immunity out there is so much higher. It is also going to take until end of February until we start to see marked decrease in daily fatality so even though cases and hospitalizations will be way down, we will still hear the talking heads just pivot to 'But we still have thousands of people dying every day' as a way to continue to push the narrative.

although I do see more people now shedding masks and talking about getting back to normal, the huge Omicron spike is still fresh in people's minds. It is going to take a month before the numbers are down, people start to remove their masks in higher numbers, people don't know friends/family/co-workers who are getting Covid, etc...I am hoping that what we are seeing now with some people being down with the pandemic just grows in February into March as the numbers continue to go down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT