ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

This is what you call blatant propaganda. I would expect better out of you, because I have little doubt you understand the numbers in the CDC website that you provided. The numbers are the numbers.
I guess you'll just pick and choose what you like regardless, I went back and added this chart so I don't know if you saw it, is this propaganda?

mm7023e1-F2.gif

I guess you'll just pick and choose what you like regardless, I went back and added this chart so I don't know if you saw it, is this propaganda?

mm7023e1-F2.gif

Yes, you should actually read the notes below chart. You might also want to read up on what that chart's purpose is. Hint, it's not what you want it to be.

Yes, you should actually read the notes below chart. You might also want to read up on what that chart's purpose is. Hint, it's not what you want it to be.

OK genius, you'll rationalize and see what you want to see. Flu hospitalizations are orders of MAGNITUDE higher than covid, you go with that.

OK genius, you'll rationalize and see what you want to see. Flu hospitalizations are orders of MAGNITUDE higher than covid, you go with that.

Don't blame me because you didn't understand what you posted. If you had been a little more thorough, you would most likely arrived at the same answers I did. I clicked on your cdc link associated with the graph. Red flag #1, the data they used was not provided. Red flag #2, the graph was a bit odd in what it is trying to represent. Now keep in mind we've both already seen the raw data that you posted earlier, and there's no way your new graph remotely matches up with it. So, I read a little bit more about the graph in the notes. Red flag #3, it's not representing national data. It's a small subset of only 81 counties in 14 states, and only for certain hospital systems. We'll, right there it's only a small subset of the larger national data set. Was the author of that graph selectively picking and choosing the worst data? Still, the way that graph read it was apparent some manipulation of data was still occurring. National numbers, which should include your graphs data, still do not look remotely like it. Now I'm really curious. What is this surveillance and in what ways are they manipulating the data? So I looked a little further and I found the cdc's explanation for what the graph (actually more than the snippet you posted) was meant to represent. It was littered with statements like:

"Therefore, outbreaks occurring in a single area could cause the entire jurisdiction to display high or very high activity levels."

and:
  • The reported information answers the questions of where, when, and what influenza viruses are circulating. It can be used to determine if influenza activity is increasing or decreasing but does not directly report the number of influenza illnesses. For more information regarding how CDC classifies influenza severity and the disease burden of influenza, please see Disease Burden of Influenza.
There's a lot more than just that in this link. 1) It's a small subset of data 2) It's highly manipulated to show rolling averages of 3) Where activity is occuring.

Don't blame me because you didn't understand what you posted. If you had been a little more thorough, you would most likely arrived at the same answers I did. I clicked on your cdc link associated with the graph. Red flag #1, the data they used was not provided. Red flag #2, the graph was a bit odd in what it is trying to represent. Now keep in mind we've both already seen the raw data that you posted earlier, and there's no way your new graph remotely matches up with it. So, I read a little bit more about the graph in the notes. Red flag #3, it's not representing national data. It's a small subset of only 81 counties in 14 states, and only for certain hospital systems. We'll, right there it's only a small subset of the larger national data set. Was the author of that graph selectively picking and choosing the worst data? Still, the way that graph read it was apparent some manipulation of data was still occurring. National numbers, which should include your graphs data, still do not look remotely like it. Now I'm really curious. What is this surveillance and in what ways are they manipulating the data? So I looked a little further and I found the cdc's explanation for what the graph (actually more than the snippet you posted) was meant to represent. It was littered with statements like:

"Therefore, outbreaks occurring in a single area could cause the entire jurisdiction to display high or very high activity levels."

and:
  • The reported information answers the questions of where, when, and what influenza viruses are circulating. It can be used to determine if influenza activity is increasing or decreasing but does not directly report the number of influenza illnesses. For more information regarding how CDC classifies influenza severity and the disease burden of influenza, please see Disease Burden of Influenza.
There's a lot more than just that in this link. 1) It's a small subset of data 2) It's highly manipulated to show rolling averages of 3) Where activity is occuring.

Highly manipulated? are you joking?

That's some seriously flawed nit-picking, I get it you prefer one set of statistics compared to another.

But here is a list of all the involved authors' affiliations, notice the first one and the last one, you know the one that aggregates the data.

1CDC COVID-19 Response Team; 2California Emerging Infections Program, Oakland, California; 3Career Epidemiology Field Officer Program, CDC; 4Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, 5Connecticut Emerging Infections Program, Yale School of Public Health, New Haven, Connecticut; 6Departments of Medicine and Pediatrics, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia; 7Georgia Emerging Infections Program, Georgia Department of Public Health; 8Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Atlanta, Georgia; 9Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta Georgia; 10Iowa Department of Public Health; 11Maryland Department of Health; 12Michigan Department of Health and Human Services; 13Minnesota Department of Health; 14New Mexico Emerging Infections Program, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico; 15New Mexico Emerging Infections Program, New Mexico Department of Health; 16New York State Department of Health; 17University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York; 18Ohio Department of Health; 19Public Health Division, Oregon Health Authority; 20Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee; 21Salt Lake County Health Department, Salt Lake City, Utah; 22General Dynamics Information Technology, Atlanta, Georgia; 23Influenza Division, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, CDC.

Highly manipulated? are you joking?

That's some seriously flawed nit-picking, I get it you prefer one set of statistics compared to another.

But here is a list of all the involved authors' affiliations, notice the first one and the last one, you know the one that aggregates the data.

1CDC COVID-19 Response Team; 2California Emerging Infections Program, Oakland, California; 3Career Epidemiology Field Officer Program, CDC; 4Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, 5Connecticut Emerging Infections Program, Yale School of Public Health, New Haven, Connecticut; 6Departments of Medicine and Pediatrics, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia; 7Georgia Emerging Infections Program, Georgia Department of Public Health; 8Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Atlanta, Georgia; 9Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta Georgia; 10Iowa Department of Public Health; 11Maryland Department of Health; 12Michigan Department of Health and Human Services; 13Minnesota Department of Health; 14New Mexico Emerging Infections Program, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico; 15New Mexico Emerging Infections Program, New Mexico Department of Health; 16New York State Department of Health; 17University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York; 18Ohio Department of Health; 19Public Health Division, Oregon Health Authority; 20Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee; 21Salt Lake County Health Department, Salt Lake City, Utah; 22General Dynamics Information Technology, Atlanta, Georgia; 23Influenza Division, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, CDC.

I can't make you understand what you posted, but the cdc gives you the roadmap. But there's a catch, you have to read and follow what they are saying. Taking things out of context just produces garbage results. You may think you're arguing with me, but it's actually the cdc you are contradicting.

Reactions: Ski and OhHello
I can't make you understand what you posted, but the cdc gives you the roadmap. But there's a catch, you have to read and follow what they are saying. Taking things out of context just produces garbage results. You may think you're arguing with me, but it's actually the cdc you are contradicting.

You made a claim that Flu hospitalization rate is orders of magnitude higher than those of covid (for adolescents), that is simply not true. Do you understand what orders of magnitude means or do you want to argue about that also?

This CDC link provides a cumulative rate for Covid at 45 per 100k for 0-17 yo, this is vastly different than the unsourced 2.4 number you provided.

You made a claim that Flu hospitalization rate is orders of magnitude higher than those of covid (for adolescents), that is simply not true. Do you understand what orders of magnitude means or do you want to argue about that also?

This CDC link provides a cumulative rate for Covid at 45 per 100k for 0-17 yo, this is vastly different than the unsourced 2.4 number you provided.

You are correct, I did screw up. I typed 2.4 instead of 2.1, which was overly generous towards covid hospitalizations.

"COVID-19 adolescent hospitalization rates from COVID-NET peaked at 2.1 per 100,000 in early January 2021, declined to 0.6 in mid-March, and rose to 1.3 in April."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7023e1.htm

Hey, your link says the same thing, and even graphs the raw data by month.

Yet, you claim your chart claims a steadily increasing (and never decreasing) rate to a max rate of 35 (over only a 7 month time frame). Something is not adding up between your set of data and the chart. You should really read up on why and what the chart is really showing. It's not what you state it claims. In fairness, it is very poorly labeled. I'm sure it was just an accident, but I digress. I've already pointed out to you what the cdc says the chart really means. It's up to you to understand it.

I'm guessing you are still a little perplexed by the chart, so here's another hint, if you divide 35 by 30 (the total number of weeks), you get an average of 1.17 hospitalizations per 100K cases. Of course, if you understood what the chart is really trying to show, you'd recognize why this result, while much closer to being comparable to the influenza hospitalizations rates per 100K, is still inaccurate, but hopefully you start to see why the chart is not displaying what you think it is.

0.63M shots yesterday so total up to 337.2M with the 7 day rolling average at 0.53M. 86.6% of shots administered is the national average, 56.0% of population with 1+ dose (72.1% of the adult population), 48.5% of population fully vaccinated.

So far, 186 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 161 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

24,081 positives reported yesterday compared to 24,479 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 30,683.

Fatality was 113 reported yesterday compared to 191 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 259.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 16,685 compared to one week ago 13,389 up 26.0%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 2,999 compared to one week ago 2,204 up 36.0%.

0.5M shots yesterday so total up to 337.7M with the 7 day rolling average at 0.51M. 86.6% of shots administered is the national average, 56.0% of population with 1+ dose (72.2% of the adult population), 48.6% of population fully vaccinated.

So far, 186 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 161 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

9,813 positives reported yesterday compared to 21,505 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 29,012.

Fatality was 31 reported yesterday compared to 116 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 246.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 17,168 compared to one week ago 13,743 up 24.9%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 3,076 compared to one week ago 2,301 up 33.7%.

I'm guessing you are still a little perplexed by the chart, so here's another hint, if you divide 35 by 30 (the total number of weeks), you get an average of 1.17 hospitalizations per 100K cases. Of course, if you understood what the chart is really trying to show, you'd recognize why this result, while much closer to being comparable to the influenza hospitalizations rates per 100K, is still inaccurate, but hopefully you start to see why the chart is not displaying what you think it is.

Two problems with your argument...

1) You're arguing apples and oranges with yourself, I noted that my CDC graph is cumulative but so is the flu data that was presented for the previous three years.
2) Your claim that flu is "orders of magnitude" worse is flat out false, you really need to show that you understand what those words mean.

....keep spinning your wheels

Reactions: nits74
Two problems with your argument...

1) You're arguing apples and oranges with yourself, I noted that my CDC graph is cumulative but so is the flu data that was presented for the previous three years.
2) Your claim that flu is "orders of magnitude" worse is flat out false, you really need to show that you understand what those words mean.

....keep spinning your wheels

Math is hard. Reading is hard.

Time to go over everything in more detail. First off, I already linked to influenza hospitalizations for kids aged 0-17 (They broke it down into 0-4 and 5-17 age groups). Not difficult, straightforward data: total number of hospitalization cases and overall hospitalization rates per 100K. That's how its done properly. Straight out of the CDC database.

Now, lets look at the graph you posted, along with its associated links. You think its showing something similar to the above, straightforward method, but it is not. It is actually completely different, with different goals behind it. If you read the cdc's website, your graph is showing a cumulative total of the average rates, not overall rates based off of the raw, collected data. Its also looking at a very narrow time frame. Now, let's go over each axis to further illustrate.

Let's start with the x axis. First off, notice there are no dates, no months, weeks, whatever, that would show a definitive time frame. Why is that? Again, and I hate to keep harping on this, read what the CDC says about your graph, It is based off the number of weeks after the virus is initially detected and tracked. In other words, they don't have the same time frames to compare: January data from one year does not necessarily match up with January data from another year, February does not match up with February, etc. If covid's tracking starts in February, influenza for one year may start in September for one year, November for another, etc. Now, covid tracking in your graph arbitrarily starts at 40 weeks into the data tracking, What was going on then? Still no vaccine for kids. Influenza on the other hand, usually has vaccines developed and/or that strain has died out naturally. The graph is labelled surveillance week. It could more accurately be described as Weeks after Initial Tracking begins, but surveillance week isn't horrible. Just remember that time frames do not equate to similar times of the year, but even more importantly that the data being looked at is markedly different for each pathogen in their cycles.

Time for the y axis. First off, the label is Hospitalizations per 100K. That's an inaccurate label. It should be Cumulative total of average hospitalizations per 100K, not the truncated version they used. Of course, with the more accurate label its readily apparent the graph takes on a completely different meaning. In your link, they don't show the weekly raw data that they use, but they do show the monthly data. The problem is, they never show the total number of cases like they do with the flu that I linked to above. Instead, they rely on weekly averages for arbitrary snippets in time, and then total those averages. Not only is that different, manipulated data (they don't collect averages, they calculate them), but that is not how overall rates are calculated, which is what you and the people who posted the graph are claiming.

Again, all of this confusion could have been cleared up by reading the graph notes and cdc reasoning for the graph. It does not calculate total rate, it calculates a running total of averages for a partial and arbitrary time frame, They are completely different sets of data and calculations. If you read why the cdc does this, they openly state they are not calculating the totals you and the graph authors claim they are showing. They readily admit a small change in total numbers can cause a significant and disproportionate change in the graph. They openly admit they are not trying to show total cases, but instead use this method to look for changes for other purposes.

The CDC is very open in that the graph does not show total cases, and is not meant to be used in that manner. The publishers who tried to frame it in that context had the lazy and ignorant in mind who either couldn't be bothered to read (or even search for) the fine print, or didn't have the requisite skills to understand it. Congratulations on being part of their target audience.

Math is hard. Reading is hard.

Time to go over everything in more detail. First off, I already linked to influenza hospitalizations for kids aged 0-17 (They broke it down into 0-4 and 5-17 age groups). Not difficult, straightforward data: total number of hospitalization cases and overall hospitalization rates per 100K. That's how its done properly. Straight out of the CDC database.

Now, lets look at the graph you posted, along with its associated links. You think its showing something similar to the above, straightforward method, but it is not. It is actually completely different, with different goals behind it. If you read the cdc's website, your graph is showing a cumulative total of the average rates, not overall rates based off of the raw, collected data. Its also looking at a very narrow time frame. Now, let's go over each axis to further illustrate.

Let's start with the x axis. First off, notice there are no dates, no months, weeks, whatever, that would show a definitive time frame. Why is that? Again, and I hate to keep harping on this, read what the CDC says about your graph, It is based off the number of weeks after the virus is initially detected and tracked. In other words, they don't have the same time frames to compare: January data from one year does not necessarily match up with January data from another year, February does not match up with February, etc. If covid's tracking starts in February, influenza for one year may start in September for one year, November for another, etc. Now, covid tracking in your graph arbitrarily starts at 40 weeks into the data tracking, What was going on then? Still no vaccine for kids. Influenza on the other hand, usually has vaccines developed and/or that strain has died out naturally. The graph is labelled surveillance week. It could more accurately be described as Weeks after Initial Tracking begins, but surveillance week isn't horrible. Just remember that time frames do not equate to similar times of the year, but even more importantly that the data being looked at is markedly different for each pathogen in their cycles.

Time for the y axis. First off, the label is Hospitalizations per 100K. That's an inaccurate label. It should be Cumulative total of average hospitalizations per 100K, not the truncated version they used. Of course, with the more accurate label its readily apparent the graph takes on a completely different meaning. In your link, they don't show the weekly raw data that they use, but they do show the monthly data. The problem is, they never show the total number of cases like they do with the flu that I linked to above. Instead, they rely on weekly averages for arbitrary snippets in time, and then total those averages. Not only is that different, manipulated data (they don't collect averages, they calculate them), but that is not how overall rates are calculated, which is what you and the people who posted the graph are claiming.

Again, all of this confusion could have been cleared up by reading the graph notes and cdc reasoning for the graph. It does not calculate total rate, it calculates a running total of averages for a partial and arbitrary time frame, They are completely different sets of data and calculations. If you read why the cdc does this, they openly state they are not calculating the totals you and the graph authors claim they are showing. They readily admit a small change in total numbers can cause a significant and disproportionate change in the graph. They openly admit they are not trying to show total cases, but instead use this method to look for changes for other purposes.

The CDC is very open in that the graph does not show total cases, and is not meant to be used in that manner. The publishers who tried to frame it in that context had the lazy and ignorant in mind who either couldn't be bothered to read (or even search for) the fine print, or didn't have the requisite skills to understand it. Congratulations on being part of their target audience.

Cool... you've spent a lot of time rationalizing 1), now put the same level of effort into 2), which was my beef with you at the start of all this before you decided to spin your wheels and set the strawman on fire.

Was your claim that flu hospitalizations and/or deaths among kids are orders of magnitude worse than for covid accurate? Stop deflecting and answer that question.

You don’t think population density plays a huge role in why this? LA has 5x the population of all of South Dakota. LA is 500 square miles while South Dakota is 77k square miles.
You have to give him credit, he always finds some tweet verifying his spin on science, public health and vaccinations. But……..

All time death rate during the pandemic:

South Dakota 231/ 100,000

California 162/100,000

Keep doing it right South Dakota !

Last edited:
You have to give him credit, he always finds some tweet verifying his spin on science, public health and vaccinations. But……..

All time death rate during the pandemic:

South Dakota 14,101/ 100,000

California 9,789/100,000

Keep doing it right South Dakota, only Rhode Island and North Dakota have a higher number.
Where are you getting those numbers? I'm looking at the CDC data now and those aren't even close. SD - 230/100k, Cali - 160/100k. Topping the list - NJ at 298/100k followed by Mass - 261/100k.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases_deathsper100k

Reactions: tgar
Where are you getting those numbers? I'm looking at the CDC data now and those aren't even close. SD - 230/100k, Cali - 160/100k. Topping the list - NJ at 298/100k followed by Mass - 261/100k.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases_deathsper100k
Thanks, the graph I hit has hospitalizations, total cases, recent trends etc etc. and I certainly hit the wrong button. edited. Originally I posted total cases which I will change that too.

deaths per 100,000

South Dakota 231

California. 162.

Total cases per 100,000

South Dakota. 14,101

California. 9,789

Reactions: nits74 and tgar
0.5M shots yesterday so total up to 337.7M with the 7 day rolling average at 0.51M. 86.6% of shots administered is the national average, 56.0% of population with 1+ dose (72.2% of the adult population), 48.6% of population fully vaccinated.

9,813 positives reported yesterday compared to 21,505 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 29,012.

Fatality was 31 reported yesterday compared to 116 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 246.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 17,168 compared to one week ago 13,743 up 24.9%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 3,076 compared to one week ago 2,301 up 33.7%.

0.5M shots yesterday so total up to 338.2M with the 7 day rolling average at 0.52M. 86.8% of shots administered is the national average, 56.1% of population with 1+ dose (72.3% of the adult population), 48.6% of population fully vaccinated.

24,266 positives reported yesterday compared to 21,698 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 33,690.

Fatality was 121 reported yesterday compared to 210 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 248.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 16,974 compared to one week ago 14,140 up 20.0%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 3,019 compared to one week ago 2,426 up 24.5%.

So interestingly the vaccine rate is basically pegged at 500K per day for the past 10 days, appears that might be where we stay for a while.

California is leading this charge, 4350 daily positives today. I think Cali is going to have a pretty big spike as they were at very low numbers for a long time such that they do not have the same amount of natural immunity as other states and are ripe for a large spike. Next in line is Texas at 1996, Louisiana at 1329, then Arizona at 1034 and Missouri at 1020.

I was trying to wrap my head around how the two populations on opposite ends of the political spectrum - Blacks and MAGA supporters - ended up with the lowest vax rates.

Then I remembered this (IMO, very funny) Black Jeopardy skit from SNL from 2016. Like most comedy, it has unfair stereotypes but also uncovers some truisms - both populations see a conspiratorial government and proudly make poor decisions- all while being optimistic and generally good natured.

Reactions: NOLADan and tgar
0.5M shots yesterday so total up to 338.2M with the 7 day rolling average at 0.52M. 86.8% of shots administered is the national average, 56.1% of population with 1+ dose (72.3% of the adult population), 48.6% of population fully vaccinated.

24,266 positives reported yesterday compared to 21,698 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 33,690.

Fatality was 121 reported yesterday compared to 210 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 248.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 16,974 compared to one week ago 14,140 up 20.0%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 3,019 compared to one week ago 2,426 up 24.5%.

So interestingly the vaccine rate is basically pegged at 500K per day for the past 10 days, appears that might be where we stay for a while.

California is leading this charge, 4350 daily positives today. I think Cali is going to have a pretty big spike as they were at very low numbers for a long time such that they do not have the same amount of natural immunity as other states and are ripe for a large spike. Next in line is Texas at 1996, Louisiana at 1329, then Arizona at 1034 and Missouri at 1020.

0.4M shots yesterday so total up to 338.5M with the 7 day rolling average at 0.51M. 86.8% of shots administered is the national average, 56.2% of population with 1+ dose (72.3% of the adult population), 48.7% of population fully vaccinated.

So far, 186 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 162 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

44,232 positives reported yesterday compared to 31,993 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 38,113.

Fatality was 256 reported yesterday compared to 336 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 246.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 19,251 compared to one week ago 14,596 up 31.9%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 3,370 compared to one week ago 2,549 up 32.2%.

Florida-8012, Cali-5269, Texax-4732, Mizzou-1992, Arkansas-1875, Georgia-1569, Louisiana-1562, NY-1281, Arizona-1154, Nevada-1004.

Reactions: BobPSU92
0.4M shots yesterday so total up to 338.5M with the 7 day rolling average at 0.51M. 86.8% of shots administered is the national average, 56.2% of population with 1+ dose (72.3% of the adult population), 48.7% of population fully vaccinated.

So far, 186 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 162 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

44,232 positives reported yesterday compared to 31,993 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 38,113.

Fatality was 256 reported yesterday compared to 336 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 246.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 19,251 compared to one week ago 14,596 up 31.9%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 3,370 compared to one week ago 2,549 up 32.2%.

Florida-8012, Cali-5269, Texax-4732, Mizzou-1992, Arkansas-1875, Georgia-1569, Louisiana-1562, NY-1281, Arizona-1154, Nevada-1004.
Any available breakdown of admissions and age range With %?

Cool... you've spent a lot of time rationalizing 1), now put the same level of effort into 2), which was my beef with you at the start of all this before you decided to spin your wheels and set the strawman on fire.

Was your claim that flu hospitalizations and/or deaths among kids are orders of magnitude worse than for covid accurate? Stop deflecting and answer that question.

Don't blame me, you've got a data problem. The CDC flu hospitalization rates for the immediate years prior to covid showed anywhere from ~ 40-130 (depending on age group) hospitalizations per 100K. The CDC's calculated monthly averages that you linked show (generously) ~2.5 per 100K. Now, imagine I'm some 3rd grader learning about averages for the first time and explain to me how the average can be higher than the max value in the data set.

BTW, I can see a potentially major problem with the covid data set. Unfortunately, there is no way to account or correct for it at this point, and I'm not referring to the reports that covid hospitalizations (that I linked to previously) may be almost twice as high as actual.

Last edited:
Don't blame me, you've got a data problem. The CDC flu hospitalization rates for the immediate years prior to covid showed anywhere from ~ 40-100 (depending on age group) hospitalizations per 100K. The CDC's calculated monthly averages that you linked show (generously) ~2.5 per 100K. Now, imagine I'm some 3rd grader learning about averages for the first time and explain to me how the average can be higher than the max value in the data set.
No, I don't have a data problem you have a comprehension/understanding problem. Unfortunately, I can't dumb it down enough for you using hospitalization rates, but I can using real, not estimated death numbers.

Flu has taken the lives of 188, 144, 199 kids under 18 y.o. in the last three flu seasons, link below as well as a graphic.

PEDFLU27.GIF

Covid deaths for 0-17 for 2020 (not a full year of data) are 178 at this link.

Hardly "orders of magnitude" or even ONE order of magnitude different. I know you'll probably accuse me of shifting the goalposts, too bad, deal with it. I've wasted way too much time on this.

No, I don't have a data problem you have a comprehension/understanding problem. Unfortunately, I can't dumb it down enough for you using hospitalization rates, but I can using real, not estimated death numbers.

Flu has taken the lives of 188, 144, 199 kids under 18 y.o. in the last three flu seasons, link below as well as a graphic.

PEDFLU27.GIF

Covid deaths for 0-17 for 2020 (not a full year of data) are 178 at this link.

Hardly "orders of magnitude" or even ONE order of magnitude different. I know you'll probably accuse me of shifting the goalposts, too bad, deal with it. I've wasted way too much time on this.

My goodness, do you read anything before you post it? Since when did pediatrics suddenly extend to age 24?

Before you go off on some crazy tangent, I've explained my reasoning and gone over the statistics that justify my orders of magnitude more dangerous designation in children for covid vs. the flu. For all your bluster and invective, the data simply does not support your assertions that the cdc's numbers are wrong, no matter how many attempts at deception you try.

BTW, you never did explain how an average can be greater than its max value in the dataset.

My goodness, do you read anything before you post it? Since when did pediatrics suddenly extend to age 24?

Before you go off on some crazy tangent, I've explained my reasoning and gone over the statistics that justify my orders of magnitude more dangerous designation in children for covid vs. the flu. For all your bluster and invective, the data simply does not support your assertions that the cdc's numbers are wrong, no matter how many attempts at deception you try.

BTW, you never did explain how an average can be greater than its max value in the dataset.

Keep deflecting. SMH, if read the info in the link you'd have seen the 0-17 data.

Last edited:
Keep deflecting.

If it makes you feel better to think that is what I am doing, then good for you.

Have you ever pondered why the flu is so much worse for kids than covid? Do you think it might be because the flu can trigger an extremely high fever and pneumonia in kids, even healthy ones, and covid rarely does?

If it makes you feel better to think that is what I am doing, then good for you.

Have you ever pondered why the flu is so much worse for kids than covid? Do you think it might be because the flu can trigger an extremely high fever and pneumonia in kids, even healthy ones, and covid rarely does?

Nope, never pondered that because the death numbers are similar.

0.6M shots yesterday so total up to 339.1M with the 7 day rolling average at 0.51M. 86.8% of shots administered is the national average, 56.3% of population with 1+ dose (72.5% of the adult population), 48.8% of population fully vaccinated.

So far, 187 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 162 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

56,525 positives reported yesterday compared to 36,904 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 42,068.

Fatality was 416 reported yesterday compared to 381 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 254.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 20,241 compared to one week ago 15,137 up 33.7%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 3,521 compared to one week ago 2,662 up 32.2%.

Florida-8988, Cali-6521, Louisiana-5388, Texax-4769, Mizzou-2995, Georgia-2229, NY-1683, Arkansas-1459, North Carolina-1434, Tennessee-1307.

So just some wow numbers again today with the 56k reported positives. Haven't been at those numbers since the end of April. Florida and Louisiana just exploding. And I will say it again, I think Cali is in for a big run as they don't have near the natural immunity in that state due to the huge lockdowns they had for the extended run so I would not be surprised for them to be the leader in positives by next week.

0.6M shots yesterday so total up to 339.1M with the 7 day rolling average at 0.51M. 86.8% of shots administered is the national average, 56.3% of population with 1+ dose (72.5% of the adult population), 48.8% of population fully vaccinated.

So far, 187 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 162 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

56,525 positives reported yesterday compared to 36,904 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 42,068.

Fatality was 416 reported yesterday compared to 381 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 254.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 20,241 compared to one week ago 15,137 up 33.7%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 3,521 compared to one week ago 2,662 up 32.2%.

Florida-8988, Cali-6521, Louisiana-5388, Texax-4769, Mizzou-2995, Georgia-2229, NY-1683, Arkansas-1459, North Carolina-1434, Tennessee-1307.

So just some wow numbers again today with the 56k reported positives. Haven't been at those numbers since the end of April. Florida and Louisiana just exploding. And I will say it again, I think Cali is in for a big run as they don't have near the natural immunity in that state due to the huge lockdowns they had for the extended run so I would not be surprised for them to be the leader in positives by next week.
I don’t know why you are surprised.

what is “ near natural immunity”?

California should be leading every day over Florida based on the population difference of 37 million versus 18 million.

Reactions: BlueLion

Look everybody knows that more people than those vaccinated have antibodies. Why is this number never reported? Also 3521 people in the hospital out of a population of 330M tells me the vaccine works and many others have the antibodies from past positives or natural immunity.

Look everybody knows that more people than those vaccinated have antibodies. Why is this number never reported? Also 3521 people in the hospital out of a population of 330M tells me the vaccine works and many others have the antibodies from past positives or natural immunity.
That’s 3521 new patients a day being admitted with Covid almost all of which ( 95% to 99% ) are unvaccinated.

0.66M shots yesterday so total up to 339.7M with the 7 day rolling average at 0.53M. 86.8% of shots administered is the national average, 56.4% of population with 1+ dose (72.6% of the adult population), 48.8% of population fully vaccinated.

61,651 positives reported yesterday compared to 36,101 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 45,922.

Fatality was 365 reported yesterday compared to 362 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 254.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 21,153compared to one week ago 15,712 up 34.6%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 3,700 compared to one week ago 2,805 up 31.9%.

Florida-12647, Cali-6937, Texax-6340, Mizzou-3346, Louisiana-2834, Georgia-2144, Illiniois-1993, Arkansas-1860, North Carolina-1800, NY-1793.

Reactions: BobPSU92
It looks like concern about the Delta variant may be moving the number of vaccinations up a little after a serious downturn. At least that is my take on Cletus' numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT