ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

About 30+ years ago I used to cut lawns for spending money. I get bad hayfever in late July/Aug and I would always wear a mask when cutting grass. I don't anymore cause the meds work a lot better for hayfever then they did 30+ years ago.
Still have all those pesky may flies and gnats to deal with though. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TheBigUglies
Lion84 I'm replying to your post because I agree with you and I wanted your message to be the lead-in.

@klive
Below was copied from an interview published on December 20th. If you don't know who Michal Linial is, look her up. This is just one example of how the Fauci and others have mislead the US/World for reasons I don't understand. You should really read the whole article and then ask yourself why our covid spokesman chooses a different message

“There isn’t any need to be afraid of the mutated coronavirus (Covid-19) strains that were discovered in the U.K. They aren’t more dangerous than the existing strain and the existing vaccines won’t be any less effective against them,” Prof. Michal Linial told Calcalist. She researches coronaviruses and is a professor of molecular biology and bioinformatics at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

“Scientists have already mapped thousands of strains of the coronavirus and we already know that currently there are over 10,000 different mutations,” she added. “This specific mutation we had already mapped in September, but back then it only appeared in small numbers. Somehow, it reached large numbers in London. We didn’t expect this mutation to have so many differences to the original, and without this scientific surprise, it wouldn’t even be worth mentioning. The existing vaccine knows how to identify mutations in the virus and respond accordingly.
that's a good article, thanks or posting. My point wasn't specific to Fauci and what he says or doesn't say, just that when dealing with science and new viruses in particular, it's not so crazy to think, and even act on what certain data suggests, only to have that all blown up a week, a month, a year later. That was my only point. Even Michal Linial says as much in the article: "We are very far away from drawing conclusions, mainly because it’s a virus that works in a very clever way. I’m surprised by it every day.”

I understand this was an unprecedented event and that you may have had to move the goal posts when new information came in but what I heard from people like Fauci and the CDC was that the new goal post were the right way to go until they weren't but the next ones are the correct ones - they should have said we don't know but we will try this and see what happens but it may not work either - instead they came off as don't question me and just shut up and do what I say. Fauci really needs to go as the spokesperson for all this - he is responsible for more people not getting the vaccine now since he is saying even if you get it and subject yourself to the risks of getting it you can't really change anything you have been doing the last 14 months - stupid thing to say.
That I actually agree with - if you don't know the answer, then shut your mouth. But my point wasn't specific to what Fauci was saying or not saying; my point was specific to science and viruses and how data today can be trash tomorrow. Maybe would have been better to simply say that.

the other note is that a majority of people take what Fauci/CDC says as gospel truth. Educated people also. I mean our office is talking about what we do once everybody in it has been vaccinated which will occur by end of May. Discussions about everybody coming back, no masks required, allow for group meetings, etc...basically back to normal. And there are numerous people still 'scared' to a certain extent that are saying we cannot go without masks or have meeting because Fauci and CDC said we cannot. And they are not saying it to be contradictory or try to get out of coming to the office, they are saying it because they believe that it is a high risk to take the mask off because that is what Fauci/CDC said. That even if vaccinated and around other people, that you can get and transmit Covid and that mask and social distancing is the only thing that can prevent that. So you have a huge subsection of people out there that have been brainwashed by what the people in charge have said.
I agree...have seen this in multiple venues...this is going to be a major obstacle to normalcy...it may cause some major social splits.

As you may recall, earlier in this post I (as a double lung transplant recipient) provided my results from the Johns Hopkins Study of solid organ transplant recipients ability to produce antibodies post vaccination.

After the first shot, I was negative for the antibodies and I mentioned that I would return when I received my results from the second shot. Here goes:

Hello,

Your blood sample after your second vaccine dose collected on 04-12-2021was processed for COVID-19 Antibodies.

Result:

Negative for COVID-19 Antibodies

Please see attached PDF for more information.

Thank you,

Johns Hopkins COVID-19 Vaccine Transplant Research Study

Reactions: The Spin Meister
That I actually agree with - if you don't know the answer, then shut your mouth. But my point wasn't specific to what Fauci was saying or not saying; my point was specific to science and viruses and how data today can be trash tomorrow. Maybe would have been better to simply say that.

Surprising that you didn't comment on what she stated about the UK variant back in December, which was:
"They aren’t more dangerous than the existing strain and the existing vaccines won’t be any less effective against them"
Yet Fauci, the CDC, and virtually every media outlet spent 12 continuous weeks spreading fear.

Not surprising that you would grab that one-liner to post when you know it had NOTHING to do with the vaccines and was part of her answer to the question: Where does the research stand on developing a TREATMENT?

However, for the other readers that haven't opened the article I'll post the entire answer right here.

“Some of our research is in the field of bioinformatics, meaning that we are looking at the genetic sequence, and drawing conclusions from there. For example, today we’re trying to take coronavirus proteins and encapsulate their mRNA into a human cell. We want to know how a virus can succeed in generating a serious lung disease, while on the other hand, it can also cause blood clotting, skin diseases, or neurological diseases. We’re trying to decipher the problem, and see what the virus does inside the human cell that causes such a serious shutdown of these major systems. We’ve already succeeded in discovering that the virus can shut down a cell’s system, even though its job is to cause an emergency distress response. The virus ‘removes its battery’ so to speak, and cells continue to work like normal. The entire intercellular communication system is lost because the virus manages to silence the only system that is working to combat it. We are very far away from drawing conclusions, mainly because it’s a virus that works in a very clever way. I’m surprised by it every day.”

Surprising that you didn't comment on what she stated about the UK variant back in December, which was:
"They aren’t more dangerous than the existing strain and the existing vaccines won’t be any less effective against them"
Yet Fauci, the CDC, and virtually every media outlet spent 12 continuous weeks spreading fear.

Not surprising that you would grab that one-liner to post when you know it had NOTHING to do with the vaccines and was part of her answer to the question: Where does the research stand on developing a TREATMENT?

However, for the other readers that haven't opened the article I'll post the entire answer right here.

“Some of our research is in the field of bioinformatics, meaning that we are looking at the genetic sequence, and drawing conclusions from there. For example, today we’re trying to take coronavirus proteins and encapsulate their mRNA into a human cell. We want to know how a virus can succeed in generating a serious lung disease, while on the other hand, it can also cause blood clotting, skin diseases, or neurological diseases. We’re trying to decipher the problem, and see what the virus does inside the human cell that causes such a serious shutdown of these major systems. We’ve already succeeded in discovering that the virus can shut down a cell’s system, even though its job is to cause an emergency distress response. The virus ‘removes its battery’ so to speak, and cells continue to work like normal. The entire intercellular communication system is lost because the virus manages to silence the only system that is working to combat it. We are very far away from drawing conclusions, mainly because it’s a virus that works in a very clever way. I’m surprised by it every day.”
I said it was a good article, sorry I didn’t provide a bullet list of everything I liked about it for you. I pulled out that line because that was exactly my point.

I love how people bitch and moan, using the term "moving the goal posts" over something that is new and never happened before. The whole point of science is to test, measure and then react to the situation based on what data suggests. This is not specifically directed at the OP, but something that has been driving me nuts throughout the pandemic is the throwing of people under the bus who are working their asses off trying to squash the pandemic for not being Nostradamus. If you want to bitch about supply preparedness or vaccine rollouts, that's fair game; but trying to predict how a novel virus will behave, mutate, and affect every single human overnight, coupled with human behaviors is going to require some level of "goalpost moving". For the record, we still have no cures or 100% certainties for the flu, common cold, cancer and how they behave...those illnesses have been around forever. What a bunch of dumb asses we all are for not yet figuring those out. The human body is a mysterious thing!

If they had behaved as scientists and not as politicians, then they would get the benefit of the doubt that you wish to give them.

All good scientists (and Fauci is certainly not one) take a two pronged approach:

1. Use Occam's razor and go with the MOST LIKELY explanation that fits all the facts. Usually, this is the simplest one.
2. Make it clear that the explanation (or conclusion, or theory, or hypothesis or whatever words you like) is considered tentative and give an honest accounting for what are the weaknesses and strengths of the idea.

So, an honest broker (not Fauci) would have said wrt HCQ, Az, and Zinc: "Well, there's no harm, it's been used for 50 years now, so go ahead. But the evidence is only anecdotal, and while we're going to quickly perform double blind studies to determine the actual effectiveness of the treatment immediately, no one should be surprised if the results aren't perfect."

Had he done that, I would have said, "Well, here's a scientist, not a politician, and while there may be mistakes, I can trust him."

He did not do that, and that really cannot be disputed.

That's what a real, honest scientist would have said. Instead, he did the exact opposite, shut it down and don't look to see if it might work.

Imagine that - there was a ton of anecdotal evidence by lots of medical professionals, and HE NEVER EVEN LOOKED.

No, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

I said it was a good article, sorry I didn’t provide a bullet list of everything I liked about it for you. I pulled out that line because that was exactly my point.
Your point about what? That vaccines don't work, or that a treatment for a VIRUS is difficult to come by? The large majority of the article/interview was about the vaccines yet you pulled a reference to only question about treatment for those that have the virus.

Both of your responses are an attempt to mislead. What's the purpose of that? Are you Fauci?

As I've said numerous times before have very close friend who works with fauci and he'll tell you that half the stuff that he says on TV is not mutually agreed upon by the rest of the scientists in that department.
Has your friend mentioned what is driving's Fauci's messaging then? Abundance of caution? Politics?

Has your friend mentioned what is driving's Fauci's messaging then? Abundance of caution? Politics?
He basically said that almost nothing they have done this year had a 100% consensus and fauci would listen to the circle of drs then go make a decision. He rarely gives explanation, just 'gut' instincts kind of. So take that however you want

He basically said that almost nothing they have done this year had a 100% consensus and fauci would listen to the circle of drs then go make a decision. He rarely gives explanation, just 'gut' instincts kind of. So take that however you want
That's fair. It is rare to have scientific consensus especially for novel issues. I would hope he is not making policy recommendations unilaterally.

2.2M shots yesterday so total up to 211.581M with the 7 day rolling average at 3.12M. 80.0% of shots administered is the national average, 39.9% of population with 1+ dose (note this is percent of population that has been given 1 or 2 doses, so total percent that have been pricked by a needle), 25.7% fully vaccinated.
So far, 132 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 85.4 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

Doses delivered is 264.61M compared to yesterday 264.612M. So 0.0M doses delivered yesterday, 0.0M doses delivered for the week. Previous week totals for doses delivered is 35.5, 29.9M, 28.22M, 23.8, 21.1M, 20.0M, 19.7M,21.2M, 5.1M, 9.96M and , 9.4M.

51,650 positives reported yesterday compared to 56,959 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 69,695

Fatality was 488 compared to 310 yesterday and 498 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 736.

Really bad day on the vaccine front. For the first day when the entire country is eligible, there were less vaccines given yesterday than last week. As we have talked before, the polls showed 25% of adults were either on the fence or said no to getting the vaccine, my opinion is that number would eventually end up more in the 10-12% when all was said and done. But based on the J&J issues and the fact that even with huge supplies this last week our vaccine rate is actually going down and not up, I am starting to think that number might be more in the 20+% range. Looking at the news last night, there are places in Texas now taking walk in, no appt. needed as the demand has dropped to that point already.

Fingers crossed on the daily positives as 4 days now in a row with a decrease, so maybe we are hitting that plateau finally and will start to come down hopefully for the last time. Not going to claim success until later this week as weekend numbers can be all over the place and need a few more weekday numbers but if the next two days still show decreases, looks like the spike might be over.

1.8M shots yesterday so total up to 213.388M with the 7 day rolling average at 3.03M. 78.4% of shots administered is the national average, 40.1% of population with 1+ dose (note this is percent of population that has been given 1 or 2 doses, so total percent that have been pricked by a needle), 26.0% fully vaccinated.
So far, 133 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 86.2 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

Doses delivered is 272.18M compared to yesterday 264.612M. So 7.56M doses delivered yesterday, 7.56M doses delivered for the week. Previous week totals for doses delivered is 35.5, 29.9M, 28.22M, 23.8, 21.1M, 20.0M, 19.7M,21.2M, 5.1M, 9.96M and , 9.4M.

60,317 positives reported yesterday compared to 78,314 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 67,151

Fatality was 883 compared to 488 yesterday and 831 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 747.

So good news, bad news.

Good news -- daily positives down 18,000 week over week. Michigan and NY numbers way down driving that. So have we finally broken this last 'surge'?

Bad news -- vaccine number of 1.8M is just bad. Read an article yesterday that the mega site in Atlantic City is now taking walk-ups also. Right now at 53.5% of eligible population vaccinated and already see number dropping. Not sure if this is just J&J spooking a lot of people or what, but just some really low vaccine numbers the last couple of days when you figure with everybody eligible they would be going up.

My state is doing walk-ups now, too.

I had my 2nd shot Sunday at one of those drive up clinics. The place was empty compared to Shot #1

As you may recall, earlier in this post I (as a double lung transplant recipient) provided my results from the Johns Hopkins Study of solid organ transplant recipients ability to produce antibodies post vaccination.

After the first shot, I was negative for the antibodies and I mentioned that I would return when I received my results from the second shot. Here goes:

Hello,

Your blood sample after your second vaccine dose collected on 04-12-2021was processed for COVID-19 Antibodies.

Result:

Negative for COVID-19 Antibodies

Please see attached PDF for more information.

Thank you,

Johns Hopkins COVID-19 Vaccine Transplant Research Study
KC, sorry to hear this news. I have a couple of questions. Did you have any side effects after either shot? Do you plan on trying a different technology such as the J&J vaccine?

How about vanity - you don't think he is flattered by all the attention he get's - has he ever turned down any TV appearance? and probable a little bit of revenge against Trump who sidelined him. I don't know of anyone now who put's much credibility in him anymore. Yes, we all know it was a very fluid situation for a long time but when we hear follow the science what does that even mean? - you can drag out 10 scientists who are all equally credentialed in Virology and get 10 opinions which is understandable but Fauci thinks he is the only one that we should listen to even though he has been wrong as much as right.

I am afraid this is the "new normal". With the "variants" or whatever, this is going to be with us for a long time. we are going to have to get used to living with it. Now that the press has scared the living bejesus out of everyone and knows they can make money doing it, we will get "is this the next COVID" and "new COVID Variant!" for the rest of our lives.

For me? I am done with it. I'll wear my mask in public places but if I die of COVID it is not a lot different from the risks I take every day with lung cancer and whatever. (I heard a woman trying to lecture about precautions while buying a pack of cigarettes the other day). I'll respect other people's concerns but it is pretty much over. I spent the week before last in NoCal and it looks to me like that is the way the majority of people feel.
I thought you were in Cancun for Spring Break? Or did you cancel and decide on a Cruz instead? 🤔

I thought you were in Cancun for Spring Break? Or did you cancel and decide on a Cruz instead? 🤔

Is he on Penelope Cruz?

MV5BMTM0Mzc1MTc2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzE4MzQxMw@@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Reactions: bison13
1.8M shots yesterday so total up to 213.388M with the 7 day rolling average at 3.03M. 78.4% of shots administered is the national average, 40.1% of population with 1+ dose (note this is percent of population that has been given 1 or 2 doses, so total percent that have been pricked by a needle), 26.0% fully vaccinated.
So far, 133 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 86.2 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

Doses delivered is 272.18M compared to yesterday 264.612M. So 7.56M doses delivered yesterday, 7.56M doses delivered for the week. Previous week totals for doses delivered is 35.5, 29.9M, 28.22M, 23.8, 21.1M, 20.0M, 19.7M,21.2M, 5.1M, 9.96M and , 9.4M.

60,317 positives reported yesterday compared to 78,314 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 67,151

Fatality was 883 compared to 488 yesterday and 831 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 747.

So good news, bad news.

Good news -- daily positives down 18,000 week over week. Michigan and NY numbers way down driving that. So have we finally broken this last 'surge'?

Bad news -- vaccine number of 1.8M is just bad. Read an article yesterday that the mega site in Atlantic City is now taking walk-ups also. Right now at 53.5% of eligible population vaccinated and already see number dropping. Not sure if this is just J&J spooking a lot of people or what, but just some really low vaccine numbers the last couple of days when you figure with everybody eligible they would be going up.

Just eyeballing the data - looks like vaccines are starting to level off (last three days or so). We will see what the balance of the week brings.

Anecdotally, it doesn't seem to be a supply issue (even with J&J cessation).

Vaccination-Percentage-with-Time.png

So good news, bad news.

agree 1.8 and 2.2 from yesterday is just shitty. Especially since still have 20% or so of those over 65 still needing a vax.

KC, sorry to hear this news. I have a couple of questions. Did you have any side effects after either shot? Do you plan on trying a different technology such as the J&J vaccine?

Regarding reactions, no, I did not have any side affects to either shot. As part of the JH study, they will continue to test my self drawn blood samples every several months to see if there is any longer term development for other recipients with similar results and to determine length of effectiveness in those recipients that actually had antibody development. I had the Moderna vaccine (2/13, 3/13) and it has actually had better results in the overall study than the Pfizer within the transplant community. J$J will have to be discussion with transplant and infectious disease team at UPMC.

In addition, at my recent UPMC follow-up (prior to knowing results of second shot) we discussed a potential study that they are looking at to determine possible natural T-cell immunity and any effectiveness that might exist.

Other than that, keep maintaining social distance, masking, etc until we potentially eradicate COVID or until we develop more effective meds to combat any potential infection.

I had to cancel that for business in the silicon valley. So I ended up taking the family who bopped around NoCal for the week. We then did Pebble and Monterrey over the weekend before flying back home.

So good news, bad news.

There are a lot of dumb people this country that have been looking for any reason to justify their refusal to get vaccinated.

anecdotally I would guess it is running 40%,just look at the % of Marines who will not do so voluntarily.

Reactions: scottpsurules
How about vanity - you don't think he is flattered by all the attention he get's - has he ever turned down any TV appearance? and probable a little bit of revenge against Trump who sidelined him. I don't know of anyone now who put's much credibility in him anymore. Yes, we all know it was a very fluid situation for a long time but when we hear follow the science what does that even mean? - you can drag out 10 scientists who are all equally credentialed in Virology and get 10 opinions which is understandable but Fauci thinks he is the only one that we should listen to even though he has been wrong as much as right.
Vanity is a very valid possibility.

There are a lot of dumb people this country that have been looking for any reason to justify their refusal to get vaccinated.
For many people at low risk from COVID, not taking the vaccine isn't "dumb" at all. Personally, I have gotten the Pfizer vaccine, but it was my personal risk decision to do so. I'm still not particularly at peace about taking the vaccine for a minor disease, but it is what it is.

I am not sure if this issue has been previously posted. It's interesting and should not be surprising to anyone.

Pfizer says it has uncovered counterfeit COVID vaccine distribution in Poland and Mexico

Immediately after reading the headline I thought; block chain, block chain, block chain. Rather than crypto, this tech is going to be the real winner. Maintaining the integrity of the food and drug supply chain is critical and yet is overlooked by most.
I suggested this would happen, along with people selling their place in line, both happened. yet, several on this board suggested that I was stirring the pot.

For many people at low risk from COVID, not taking the vaccine isn't "dumb" at all. Personally, I have gotten the Pfizer vaccine, but it was my personal risk decision to do so. I'm still not particularly at peace about taking the vaccine for a minor disease, but it is what it is.
I don’t know if you are dumb or not. If you believe in any of the conspiracy theories giving many people comfort in making the decision not to get vaccinated then You would be someone l consider dumb.

Public health policy means we are all in this together.

I don’t know if you are dumb or not. If you believe in any of the conspiracy theories giving many people comfort in making the decision not to get vaccinated then You would be someone l consider dumb.

Public health policy means we are all in this together.
I respectfully disagree. There are no long-term studies and this treatment continues to be largely unknown in that regard. Hell, they are just starting to give guidelines on length of efficacy. At some point, who is the selfish one: the old person that's lived a long life that is 3% at risk if infected or the kid who has a long time to go that is .02% at risk if infected and with no guidance as to long term effect?

50 years ago, people were chain smoking because it was cool. I listened to a woman complain about others not wearing a mask in a circle K the other day while she was buying two packs of cigarettes.

Just eyeballing the data - looks like vaccines are starting to level off (last three days or so). We will see what the balance of the week brings.

Anecdotally, it doesn't seem to be a supply issue (even with J&J cessation).

Vaccination-Percentage-with-Time.png

yeah, i am surprised that somehow when opens up to everybody in 50% of the states, that we don't have a big couple of weeks as talking about tens of millions of people now eligible. So we are at 50% now, so that is 125M people left to get a vaccine. Polls say 25% are unsure which is 60M people so I would have assumed that another 60M people still wanted a vaccine and they would have been signing up. So I am unsure why this is happening. Makes no sense.

If the government wants more people to get the vaccine, they are going to have to change their tune and start saying - if you are fully vaccinated you no longer need to wear masks, can go back to a life that more closely resembles normal. The message now from Fauci is - if you get vaccinated you can probably eat outdoors. Not much of a benefit to getting vaccinated.

I am not a Fauci fan for a few reasons. First, he (and others) lied to the public at the begining of the pandemic about masks. Instead of telling people the truth (we need all the masks for healthcare providers) he used the “white lie” approach. So you lied to us then because it was helpful/convenient....but you won’t do it any more??

I also don’t respect him for his stance on Florida and Texas. He is a scientist. There is data on Florida for close to a year snd for Texas for months. And when someone asks him - why is Florida/Texas no worse (and in some cases better) off than CA or NY or name the state, he makes something up. I think his most recent answer about Texas was - maybe they are not going indoors and they are spending more time outdoors. It seems like he is employing the ostrich approach and is pretending that the 2 states who have been open the longest aren’t doing just as good if not better than states who had the most restrictions. It doesn’t scream scientific to me

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT