ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

been gone a long time. Is it safe to say the new variants aren't very strong and won't make people very sick? If so, is it possible for new future variants to be as harmful as some in the past?

Does Covid become the flu where new variants arise frequently enough to make natural immunity impossible?
I think it has to. Maybe there is a covid strain put in the yearly flu vaccine along with other flu strains. I think that is where it needs to get to. But we saw the delta variant last summer followed by Omicron in December and now have another variant of Omicron again here in late April. We are wide open now and when you look at the increase in cases, it is a very low increase compared to what we saw in Delta and Omicron. And I cannot only see that improving as more people achieve natural immunity through exposure.

I think it has to. Maybe there is a covid strain put in the yearly flu vaccine along with other flu strains. I think that is where it needs to get to. But we saw the delta variant last summer followed by Omicron in December and now have another variant of Omicron again here in late April. We are wide open now and when you look at the increase in cases, it is a very low increase compared to what we saw in Delta and Omicron. And I cannot only see that improving as more people achieve natural immunity through exposure.

"Now It Can Be Said"?!!

Thanks for giving us permission, NYT (twitter, youtube, facebook, WaPo...the rest of the asses)

which is what is so upsetting as so many people were saying this from the start. the shutting down of schools and small business made no sense once it was known what Covid was and who it affected circa June 2020. And when studies were published in late 2020/early 2021 showing that schools were not huge vectors of spread, those studies were put down and said was bad science by these same media outlets which are now saying, "oops my bad, you were right".

which is what is so upsetting as so many people were saying this from the start. the shutting down of schools and small business made no sense once it was known what Covid was and who it affected circa June 2020. And when studies were published in late 2020/early 2021 showing that schools were not huge vectors of spread, those studies were put down and said was bad science by these same media outlets which are now saying, "oops my bad, you were right".
Now it can be said!

The government face of the pandemic response established himself as the unquestionable, absolute final authority on the science, and insisted that anything contrary to his view must be dismissed as unscientific heresy. The problem with many media outlets is that they were lazy and never bothered to check to see if qualified people had different views they could defend scientifically. There was only one possible answer and he who could not be questioned had it.

The government face of the pandemic response established himself as the unquestionable, absolute final authority on the science, and insisted that anything contrary to his view must be dismissed as unscientific heresy. The problem with many media outlets is that they were lazy and never bothered to check to see if qualified people had different views they could defend scientifically. There was only one possible answer and he who could not be questioned had it.
well stated.

To be fair, I was incorrect on many assumptions and conclusions I made during the two-year pandemic. The difference is that I didn't censor dissenting opinions. The only people that need to censor are those who cannot articulate the defense of their position. When I see people being "deplatformed" I wonder what the persons promoting deplatforming have to hide.

well stated.

To be fair, I was incorrect on many assumptions and conclusions I made during the two-year pandemic. The difference is that I didn't censor dissenting opinions. The only people that need to censor are those who cannot articulate the defense of their position. When I see people being "deplatformed" I wonder what the persons promoting deplatforming have to hide.
To this day they refuse to admit the reality. Vaccine's at this point don't prevent infection or transmission, they only help provide some antibodies that help your body fight off the infection faster basically. The benefit of a cloth mask is basically useless (it is better than nothing but that better might be 0.5% and not appreciable compared to other measures). They refuse to provide detailed data and easy to understand risk profile showing who is most at risk and what co-morbidity conditions are the deadly ones. They refuse to acknowledge that natural immunity from previous infection is as good (most likely better) than vaccine immunity and it should be considered the same as a vaccine passport idea. They refuse to admit that Covid is mutating to the point where basically it is so transmissible that ultimately 90% of the population is going to be exposed to Covid at some point. They refuse to admit that draconian lockdowns had substantial side effects that in most cases were worse then Covid themselves and were not necessary, required, or the right thing to do.

well stated.

That's that pretty much it. I have no problem with Dr. Faucci or anyone else having to change his positions or recommendations based on new information. From the outset, the situation was extremely complex and new data was emerging constantly. There's no way in the world anyone could have been right all the time. A situation like that requires humility and openness to differing theories based on evidence and reasonable analysis of that evidence, not declarations of absolute, incontrovertible knowledge and truth. I wouldn't deal with a doctor who dismissed the very idea of a second opinion because she/he had already offered one. (My experience is that the best doctors talk to doctors they expect to have a differing view as a way of checking themselves.) One can't really grow, learn, and handle situations better moving forward until they embrace the idea that their current beliefs may be incorrect. You may well learn that you're right and better understand why you're right, or you may learn you're wrong and why you're wrong; either way, you learned.

Last edited:
That's that pretty much it. I have no problem with Dr. Faucci or anyone else having to change his positions or recommendations based on new information. The situation was extremely complex and new data was emerging constantly. There's no way in the world anyone could have been right all the time. A situation like that requires humility, openness to differing theories based on evidence and reasonable analysis of that evidence, not declarations of absolute, incontrovertible knowledge and truth. I wouldn't deal with a doctor who dismissed the very idea of a second opinion because she/he had already offered one. (My experience is that the best doctors talk to doctors they expect to have a differing view as a way of checking themselves.) One can't really grow, learn, and handle situations better moving forward until they embrace the idea that their current beliefs may be incorrect. You may well learn that you're right and better understand why you're right, or you may learn you're wrong and why you're wrong; either way, you learned.
You are a heretic. Fauci said to question him is to question science.

Reactions: Ski and bison13
That, actually, was the time when I lost any faith at all in the CDC, NIH, and UN. I simply quit listening to them at all and started to do my own research (which was difficult because the research was tainted). I have lost any faith, whatsoever, in any institution: church, state, medical, political, media.

In the last five years, each and every one of them have bald-faced lied to us and suffered zero consequences. I now take care of my family and **** anyone who ain't us!

afbcb3ff-a049-419a-9ed3-389f5f55b596_text.gif

It's funny, similarities between the "never question what the authorities say" of my childhood religious upbringing and the COVID orthodoxy have been considerable.

• Love
Reactions: Ski
To this day they refuse to admit the reality. Vaccine's at this point don't prevent infection or transmission, they only help provide some antibodies that help your body fight off the infection faster basically. The benefit of a cloth mask is basically useless (it is better than nothing but that better might be 0.5% and not appreciable compared to other measures). They refuse to provide detailed data and easy to understand risk profile showing who is most at risk and what co-morbidity conditions are the deadly ones. They refuse to acknowledge that natural immunity from previous infection is as good (most likely better) than vaccine immunity and it should be considered the same as a vaccine passport idea. They refuse to admit that Covid is mutating to the point where basically it is so transmissible that ultimately 90% of the population is going to be exposed to Covid at some point. They refuse to admit that draconian lockdowns had substantial side effects that in most cases were worse then Covid themselves and were not necessary, required, or the right thing to do.
The mask thing was BS from the start. And then they tried to pull the same thing with the vaccines. First my mask protects you and yours protects me. Then you need to be vaxxed to protect me. Both were lies, and the problem with the vaccines is, the Trump Administration said in October of 2020 these vaccine WILL NOT prevent the spread, but will help with severity. I've said it numerous times the only reason(beyond mandates) people under 50 got vaxxed was they thought they couldn't spread it even if they got it.

If you were that scared while wearing a mask and vaxxed that everyone else needed both then you are admitting they don't work.

So if you look at previous spikes, they typically lasted about 2 months before peaking and coming down. We are about one month into this spike. So I suspect we will continue to see rising cases until end of May and then start to decrease again. The good thing is the rate of increase is pretty low (due to all the natural immunity out there) AND the death rate is continuing to decrease even though in the past we typically saw a two week lag between increased cases and increased fatality which to date we are not seeing with this spike AND the rate of hospitalizations is only slightly moving up (pointing to virulence/severity being down).

Reactions: bison13
Getting the same mRNA vaccine booster against a mutating virus never made sense to me. Why I at least got the Moderna booster after the original Pfizer shot. And why I won’t get anymore boosters moving forward.

That's a great article that explains a) the declining value of the vaccine for kids (the less exposed to serious injury by COVID) and b) the declining value of boosters over time.

Right now, as the boosters lose value against the onslaught of mutations, we are pretty much on our own. Let's hope it continues to be more contagious but less serious (which leads to herd immunity).

Reactions: bison13 and Ski
That's a great article that explains a) the declining value of the vaccine for kids (the less exposed to serious injury by COVID) and b) the declining value of boosters over time.

Right now, as the boosters lose value against the onslaught of mutations, we are pretty much on our own. Let's hope it continues to be more contagious but less serious (which leads to herd immunity).
The better question is why would anyone get vaxxed for the first time now? And why is that still something they are pushing?

Reactions: Obliviax
I've heard some whispers from Dr. friends I know and there was a COVID expert on GMA this morning that hinted at it. What is the "it?" Initially, COVID outbreaks in the vaccinated were blamed on variants and subvariants. There is growing evidence that your body is "expecting" the mRNA vaccine sometime after the second shot. So it kind of goes "ok, mRNA's got this. I am going to put my resources elsewhere". This is common with foreign substances. If you drink two cups of coffee, your body gets used to two cups and that becomes the norm. you need to drink three or more to get that caffeine boost. Same is true with beer, MJ, and many other drugs. Your body compensates. So the whispers are that the boosters decline in net effect at #2 and may even weaken you once you stop getting boosted. There is also fear that being ultra-boosted may mean you make yourself more susceptible to other viruses.

There I said it.

200.gif

A pediatrician friend posted this on FB and was put in FB jail for 3 days. There is nothing that is false.

You've seen the TV commercial, right? A group of seasoned-appearing pediatricians kindly and reassuringly advise the listeners that the Covid vaccines are "safe and effective" for children 5 years old and above, and that they've made sure they're own grandchildren are vaccinated. And it ends with a warning, meant to get the listener's attention: "The vaccines are safe; the thing that isn't safe is GETTING COVID."

And I always get this sensation that I'm watching an episode of "The Twilight Zone". What world do I live in that is so different from their world? We obviously both hold sincere beliefs, and have dedicated our lives to benefit children, but my experience with the Covid-19 pandemic must be very, very different from their experience. Am I the oddball? Is my practice skewed in some way? Is theirs? Do they even see patients?

Here's my story: I am a solo practitioner without extenders - I see every patient that comes into the office, and hear about every phone call. I see an average of 130 patients a week, and have at least as many patient phone calls to advise on. I have two nurses, and three front office staff. We see a splendidly diverse population, from birth to at least 18 years old, from all socioeconomic classes, and many ethnicities. The biggest payor, by far, is Medicaid, for we have never turned patients away because of insurance coverage; this group makes up about 40% of my patients.

So, I'm in the trenches for sure; I have a broad view of the scope of the pandemic in a large group of children representative of our country. And I do not see the Covid-19 pandemic as the scourge this advertisement is depicting. The great majority of my patients have had very close exposure to the virus; some have been symptomatic, some have not. Some have been tested, most have not. I have checked serology on many who had not had a positive nasopharyngeal test; most have had positive antibodies. My educated assumption is that the vast majority of my patient population is immune. A quite small minority have been vaccinated, especially in the under 12 age group, but we never take a condescending tone regarding this, realizing that the decision is entirely for the parents to make, not us.

I have had a total of two patients sick enough to be hospitalized; one with MIS-C, one because she was just 3 weeks old. Both have had a full recovery. There have been no deaths. In the vast majority of cases (and I'm not embellishing), symptoms have been absent or mild.

That is my experience, and it is not to be ignored, for it is from a provider who is right in the middle of this thing, seeing the whole gamut of types of kids. What I have come to see is that the three tenets that I have been writing about for over 2 years, which have questioned the accepted narrative from our national healthcare authorities, namely that Covid-19 infection in healthy children is not worrisome enough to pursue drastic measures to avoid it, that natural immunity is quite good and protective and durable, and that the novel vaccine models exclusively available to Americans weren't as safe and effective as advertised - have been shown to be true. Yet, we still hear the same messaging: Covid infection must be prevented, and the vaccines are an effective way of accomplishing that.

Simply not true, on both counts. Here's one nice, unbiased resource that bears this out. We have mentioned before how the Brits have kept such good records
regarding the evolution of the pandemic from early on, on a weekly basis, called the UK Health Security Agency COVID-19 Weekly Vaccine Surveillance Report (now biweekly). The latest came out yesterday, the 12th of May 2022. Here's the link:
https://khub.net/documents/13593956...f-7a2c-da5b-39c9-d1432b70a2ec?t=1652363344024

I love the directness of these reports. Check out the "Effectiveness against symptomatic disease" section on page 4 to see just how futile the current vaccines are against the omicron variants; the only variants of importance at present. Figure 1 on page 5 tells us all we need to know. The current vaccine offerings, all based on the original Wuhan spike protein, are not effective at all regarding protecting from infection and spread of the current iteration of SARS-CoV-2. And, by the way, the Novavax vaccine probably won't be, either, for it is based on the same protein. The advantage to that vaccine, which should be authorized by the FDA within the next month, is the known short and long-term safety record of its model.
Is there any role for the current vaccines? I believe so, for the vulnerable. Indeed, an increasing percentage of bad outcomes from Covid-19 are occurring in the vaccinated, but there are a lot more vaccinated vulnerable than unvaccinated. Keeping up with the boosters seems reasonable to me.
But, when it comes to healthy children, who are not at risk for severe disease or death, the current ineffective vaccines that are based on a novel model without long-term safety data should not be advocated to the degree they are. I'm not suggesting to do away with them, for parents should have that option, but the key thing is to honestly present the risks and benefits, not scare the snot out of them with unnerving commercials like the one my colleagues have championed. There are other reasonable points of view. Honest and uncensored discussion is better than fear-mongering.

So cases are still on the rise, in the 80,000+ range, new hospital admissions are up at 2700 per day but that is still an extremely low number (omicron spike was 20,000 per day, delta spike 12,000 per day, alpha spike was 16,500 per day). Hospitlizations are only at 14,524, again showing that these Omicron sub-variants are much less virulent. As I noted before, I think if history from previous spikes play out then we should start to see this level and coming back down by end of month. I suspect that based on how tiny this spike was due to all the natural immunity out there, combine with how much more immunity this latest spike as put into the population that Covid numbers this summer should start to go way, way down.

One of the most interesting and positive things about this latest variant is that even though we started to see cases rise a month ago in mid-April, the fatality numbers have not seen any increase. And we know historically that about 2 weeks after the increase starts the fatality data has always started to increase, this is a potential very large paradigm shift in that basically even though we are seeing a lot more people getting Covid, we are not seeing people in the hospital and therefore dying from it an increased rate.

For those not watching the news, North Korea is in big trouble. Essentially they have not had Covid at all in that country due to basically only allowing Chinese into their country and with China's zero covid policy means that North Korea has basically not been effected. Well now Omicrcon is running rampant over there and the country basically is not vaccinated at all, has very poor health care, and the general population is not very healthy due to mal-nutrition and lack of healthcare. I have heard estimates of the possibility of one million people in North Korea dying of Covid and considering they only have an estimated 25M people, that is akin to 13M+ people dying in the USA.

So cases are still on the rise, in the 80,000+ range, new hospital admissions are up at 2700 per day but that is still an extremely low number (omicron spike was 20,000 per day, delta spike 12,000 per day, alpha spike was 16,500 per day). Hospitlizations are only at 14,524, again showing that these Omicron sub-variants are much less virulent. As I noted before, I think if history from previous spikes play out then we should start to see this level and coming back down by end of month. I suspect that based on how tiny this spike was due to all the natural immunity out there, combine with how much more immunity this latest spike as put into the population that Covid numbers this summer should start to go way, way down.

One of the most interesting and positive things about this latest variant is that even though we started to see cases rise a month ago in mid-April, the fatality numbers have not seen any increase. And we know historically that about 2 weeks after the increase starts the fatality data has always started to increase, this is a potential very large paradigm shift in that basically even though we are seeing a lot more people getting Covid, we are not seeing people in the hospital and therefore dying from it an increased rate.

For those not watching the news, North Korea is in big trouble. Essentially they have not had Covid at all in that country due to basically only allowing Chinese into their country and with China's zero covid policy means that North Korea has basically not been effected. Well now Omicrcon is running rampant over there and the country basically is not vaccinated at all, has very poor health care, and the general population is not very healthy due to mal-nutrition and lack of healthcare. I have heard estimates of the possibility of one million people in North Korea dying of Covid and considering they only have an estimated 25M people, that is akin to 13M+ people dying in the USA.
Really appreciate your continuing updates.

Only people I see getting it here in central MD are the people who are still wearing masks or were wearing them longer than the rest of us and are boosted.

The kids/families who are not boosted/maskers may still be getting it but they dont test because they are asymptomatic. I'd say over 95% of anyone who knows someone who has to go to the hospital has had a booster and still wears a mask

One of the interesting subplots in all of this is that no matter what was tried, every nation got hit hard. There is no escaping it except to stay in shape and keep your cardio running as well as you can.

One of the interesting subplots in all of this is that no matter what was tried, every nation got hit hard. There is no escaping it except to stay in shape and keep your cardio running as well as you can.
I think I know more people that got Covid in the last month then I did before. Multiple people at work got it, a couple of acquaintances. Once this wave makes it way through, I have to believe that the prevalance of natural immunity will be getting up in that 65-70% range such that herd immunity will really start to kick in. And I think we will start to see this in most of the world as about everywhere outside of China has Omicron envelop the country.

Reactions: blmr31
I think I know more people that got Covid in the last month then I did before. Multiple people at work got it, a couple of acquaintances. Once this wave makes it way through, I have to believe that the prevalance of natural immunity will be getting up in that 65-70% range such that herd immunity will really start to kick in. And I think we will start to see this in most of the world as about everywhere outside of China has Omicron envelop the country.
Agreed but it appears immunity only lasts six months or so. The point is it will just come back again. It is now the seasonal flu.

i am reading that the most recent variant is incredibly infectious, mild, but persists. You get sick, think you are over it, then feel bad again. This Happens for two weeks or more

Reactions: Ski

If you don't want to read the entire article, you can always "cut to the chase":

While officials stressed that the current situation is far less dire than the winter omicron-variant surge, they cautioned that the country will be ill prepared to respond effectively in coming months if Congress does not soon appropriate billions of dollars in coronavirus aid to buy a new tranche of antiviral treatments, vaccines and tests.​

Reactions: bison13 and Ski

If you don't want to read the entire article, you can always "cut to the chase":

While officials stressed that the current situation is far less dire than the winter omicron-variant surge, they cautioned that the country will be ill prepared to respond effectively in coming months if Congress does not soon appropriate billions of dollars in coronavirus aid to buy a new tranche of antiviral treatments, vaccines and tests.​
I will continue to beat the same drum I have been beating for almost 2 years now, this is about $$$$ and POWER. It was known about this time 2 years ago that Covid affecting the very old, the very sick, and the morbidly obese. But that was hidden from the general public. Remember, the government spent TRILLIONS of dollars in the name of Covid. Many, many politicians and those close to politicians become ultra generational rich off of Covid government spending.

I've come to the conclusion that creating and then spending money we don't have is a good thing. The sooner this mess collapses, the sooner we can rebuild things.

Friend and coworker just sent me a text overnight that he tested positive last night. He his wife and kids all still wear masks most of the time and are all boosted multiple times. This is around the fourth time he tested positive.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT