ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

you mean the people that have been correct about the virus, mandates and lockdowns for the last 18 months?
While no one said to drink bleach, a doctor friend told me that bleach (a drop or two) is actually used in some countries to cleanse the mouth and nasal cavities.

Reactions: tlbakernc
this thread is for daily updates on vaccinations given per day in the USA, and discussion about that.

I'm separating this out from the COVID-19 Testing & Treatment thread that's been on the board for most of the pandemic in the hope that thread can continue to focus on COVID-19 testing & treatment, and this thread can focus on COVID-19 vaccinations in the USA.

And while this seems to be a challenge for some of you when discussing this subject, please do not bring politics into this thread.
Dr Coleman: Waning vaccine efficacy

Definitely seeing the BA.2 variant uptick. We were as low as 28,119 in daily positives on April 2nd and now up to 44,000 today, so a very slight rising daily positive trend. but nothing like the spikes we have seen in the past.

Fatality curve still going down, 292 is today's number. Still not at the 248 low point of July of last year. And considering we are at the low point of new hospital admissions and hospitalizations (much lower than June/July of last year) that doesn't make sense.

The new hospital admission curve had flattened and is also now on the slight uptick, so definitely seeing more covid out there right now. Anecdotally, a guy in my office kid got covid last week.

Looking around the world at some other countries, they are seeing some upticks in some locations while other countries so that second spike and are on the way down. I think basically if you had the big Omicron spike to begin with this second spike of the Omicrcon variant is relatively muted (which is what we are seeing in the USA). For those countries that did not have much natural immunity from extended lockdowns, they are seeing large spiking .

Still no covid patients at Methodist Hospital so that's been about nine weeks without a covid patient.

I checked on St. Mary's Hospital in Bucks County. St Mary's is by far the largest hospital in the county and as of yesterday they had eight covid patients receiving oxygen and zero in critical care. All eight were just there because their oxygen levels were a bit low. All were very old.

Basically said that vaccine after 6 months (with original two dose course) or 4 months after booster has no effect versus transmission (I think we knew that just from the mass omicron positive data) and unfortunately has some pretty waning effect versus even hospitalization and death against Omicron. As also confirmed by looking at the positive case versus fatality data in Omicron.

Vaccine was very effective against original Alpha and subsequent delta variant.

China is crazy looking to give 75 MILLION covid tests over a week long period in Bejing (test the entire population 3 times over that period) as part of their Zero Covid policy.

Reactions: bison13
Basically said that vaccine after 6 months (with original two dose course) or 4 months after booster has no effect versus transmission (I think we knew that just from the mass omicron positive data) and unfortunately has some pretty waning effect versus even hospitalization and death against Omicron. As also confirmed by looking at the positive case versus fatality data in Omicron.

Vaccine was very effective against original Alpha and subsequent delta variant.

China is crazy looking to give 75 MILLION covid tests over a week long period in Bejing (test the entire population 3 times over that period) as part of their Zero Covid policy.
I'd like to see data on how well the vaccines work against the Alpha virus after all this time. Alpha is the one the vaccines were developed to protect against. I suspect the vaccines haven't waned but rather they aren't effective against the new variants which have evolved and now are almost a completely different virus.

Thank goodness the latest strains don't appear to be very dangerous.

I'd like to see data on how well the vaccines work against the Alpha virus after all this time. Alpha is the one the vaccines were developed to protect against. I suspect the vaccines haven't waned but rather they aren't effective against the new variants which have evolved and now are almost a completely different virus.

Thank goodness the latest strains don't appear to be very dangerous.
the Alpha Covid variant really doesn't exist anymore. I would suspect that if it were around, there would be no scientific reason that the vaccine would not still be effective as your body has antibody's specifically to combat it. The issue with omicron is that it is different enough from the original Alpha variant that the antibodies developed cannot really combat it very well. Which is also why (although it was not discussed in the video) that it appears natural immunity is better than vaccine immunity against Omicron variant as with natural immunity, the immune system antibody development is more broad than against a mRNA very specific vaccine antibody development. So when Omicron is introduced, the more broad natural immunity antibody has a better chance of recognizing it and combating it in a quicker period of time.

Still no covid patients at Methodist Hospital so that's been about nine weeks without a covid patient.

I checked on St. Mary's Hospital in Bucks County. St Mary's is by far the largest hospital in the county and as of yesterday they had eight covid patients receiving oxygen and zero in critical care. All eight were just there because their oxygen levels were a bit low. All were very old.
Fairfax county (VA) maintains a website with COVID data. In summary - plenty of new cases, but few new hospitalizations over multiple hospitals and minimal impact on hospital capacity.

Fairfax county (VA) maintains a website with COVID data. In summary - plenty of new cases, but few new hospitalizations over multiple hospitals and minimal impact on hospital capacity.

Yes, I know the hospitals put out reports but we've been hood-winked a lot going through this thing. I got my data from people who work at those hospitals so I actually believe the data.

the Alpha Covid variant really doesn't exist anymore. I would suspect that if it were around, there would be no scientific reason that the vaccine would not still be effective as your body has antibody's specifically to combat it. The issue with omicron is that it is different enough from the original Alpha variant that the antibodies developed cannot really combat it very well. Which is also why (although it was not discussed in the video) that it appears natural immunity is better than vaccine immunity against Omicron variant as with natural immunity, the immune system antibody development is more broad than against a mRNA very specific vaccine antibody development. So when Omicron is introduced, the more broad natural immunity antibody has a better chance of recognizing it and combating it in a quicker period of time.
Yes, so reporting that the vaccine only works for a short time is essentially a lie. The vaccine just doesn't work very well, or at all, on the latest variants. Yet, they want us to get boosters of the same vaccine?

Reactions: roswelllion and Ski
Uptick over the last week here in Montgomery co MD has led to the sheep to want masks again and such. Had parents and kids who are back to wearing 2 masks

Yes, so reporting that the vaccine only works for a short time is essentially a lie. The vaccine just doesn't work very well, or at all, on the latest variants. Yet, they want us to get boosters of the same vaccine?
the vaccine has some effectiveness against Omicron but wanes very quickly. Said 15 weeks after the booster dose that the vaccine effectives against infection is basically zero and against hospitalization is in the 50% range. So does provide some support, especially for ultra high risk people to the point of getting a booster makes sense. For generally healthy low risk people, getting booster shots every 4-6 months doesn't seem to be the way to go right now as does about nothing for you.

Reactions: blmr31 and bison13
Uptick over the last week here in Montgomery co MD has led to the sheep to want masks again and such. Had parents and kids who are back to wearing 2 masks
And this is what they wanted to create. This is going to continue well past covid. After all one death from any virus is not worth the risk.

Reactions: blmr31 and bison13
So when you look at it, we saw the Alpha variant with a huge spike in January 2021, then Delta came along that summer, then Omicron in January 2022. So about every 6 months a new variant comes along. So in that sense, we should see a new variant coming along sometime this summer with typically Europe seeing it a few weeks before the USA (one has to wonder why that is with the only thought is that the variant is originating in Europe or Africa or Asia which has much higher travels levels to Europe than USA. If the new variants were originating in North or South America you would think the USA would see it before Europe). Will this new variant go the way of Omicron being much more infectious but less virulent, will it be even more infectious than Omicron? Will previous infection and having natural immunity provide a strong antibody response to the point of limited to no infection of the new variant?

And this is what they wanted to create. This is going to continue well past covid. After all one death from any virus is not worth the risk.
I saw an interview with the Montgomery County executive. While he made several references to "the science," much of what he said wasn't supportable by current science. For him, getting sick from COVID is not acceptable and countermeasures to prevent it, no matter how little they have been shown to actually help, are appropriate to keep people from getting "sick." I suspect that if one asked him if the goal and accompanying countermeasures he was establishing was appropriate for any illness presenting the current public health threat that COVID poses, he might not agree.

Then vote for people who won't perpetuate the madness. PA voters have an opportunity to send a very loud and clear message this year that what happened the last two years must never happen again.

Reactions: Online Persona
I saw an interview with the Montgomery County executive. While he made several references to "the science," much of what he said wasn't supportable by current science. For him, getting sick from COVID is not acceptable and countermeasures to prevent it, no matter how little they have been shown to actually help, are appropriate to keep people from getting "sick." I suspect that if one asked him if the goal and accompanying countermeasures he was establishing was appropriate for any illness presenting the current public health threat that COVID poses, he might not agree.
It's borderline criminal that it seems as if the mask issue in this country now only is being threatened with children, considering that these bastards have damaged and destroyed the lives of so many children and teenagers since March 2020.

Unless people start dying in masse because of the Black Death or some other plague, I don't think that you will see masks ever be required for adults, as we've seen that it was just Kabuki theater. However, school kids are a captive audience. That's why the parents have to revolt in masse.

So that is very good news as natural immunity is about the only way out of this. And from scientists that I trust, they talked about requiring about 70% immunity to get to herd immunity. So very close to being there, and if you throw in whatever level of protection that the vaccine immunity gives people (which is some) plus whatever level of cross immunity is out there, we are probably very close to that 70% value.

And the below cut and paste from that article is just truly baffling and real misinformation. I don't remember any study showing 98% protection except for the very initial studies done on Alpha variant which even those eventually were taken down some over time, so 98% is just truly a very bad number. And they also don't talk about how against Omicron that booster efficiency wanes starting as little as one month after getting the booster. So maybe 98% in weeks 1-3 after the booster but that statement below is just horrible.

Scientists in Qatar affiliated with Cornell University found that natural infection provides about 73% protection against hospitalization if a person is reinfected with BA.2. However, three doses of Pfizer’s vaccine provided much higher protection against hospitalization at 98%. The study, published in March, has not undergone peer review.

Last edited:
Then vote for people who won't perpetuate the madness. PA voters have an opportunity to send a very loud and clear message this year that what happened the last two years must never happen again.
If it were that easy we wouldn't have the problem to begin with. remember there are people who now expect and want lockdowns(over exaggerating at bit) for every sniffle.

So that is very good news as natural immunity is about the only way out of this. And from scientists that I trust, they talked about requiring about 70% immunity to get to herd immunity. So very close to being there, and if you through in whatever level of protection that the vaccine immunity gives people (which is some) plus whatever level of cross immunity is out there, we are probably very close to that 70% value.

And the below cut and paste from that article is just truly baffling and real misinformation. I don't remember any study showing 98% protection except for the very initial studies done on Alpha variant which even those eventually were taken down some over time, so 98% is just truly a very bad number. And they also don't talk about how against Omicron that booster efficiency wanes starting as little as one month after getting the booster. So maybe 98% in weeks 1-3 after the booster but that statement below is just horrible.

Scientists in Qatar affiliated with Cornell University found that natural infection provides about 73% protection against hospitalization if a person is reinfected with BA.2. However, three doses of Pfizer’s vaccine provided much higher protection against hospitalization at 98%. The study, published in March, has not undergone peer review.
I read somewhere that after week for of # 3 protection goes to ZERO. Unfortunately, these studies can manipulate data to give the result they want. Fauci all but admitted the reason China is having issues and we aren't is because of the fact the Chinese were not exposed to the virus and build natural immunity like we did

I read somewhere that after week for of # 3 protection goes to ZERO. Unfortunately, these studies can manipulate data to give the result they want. Fauci all but admitted the reason China is having issues and we aren't is because of the fact the Chinese were not exposed to the virus and build natural immunity like we did
there was a video of the UK guy who is widely viewed just a few posts back. He went over this specifically in the linked video. protection against INFECTION goes to zero in 15 weeks against Omicron. There is still some level of protection against hospitalization and death at 15 weeks. In my opinion, basically if you are at high risk for complications to Covid due to pre-existing conditions (or age), then a booster shot is probably worth it. If you are not high risk and relatively healthy, a booster (and definitely the subsequent 4th shot booster) isn't going to do a whole lot.

there was a video of the UK guy who is widely viewed just a few posts back. He went over this specifically in the linked video. protection against INFECTION goes to zero in 15 weeks against Omicron. There is still some level of protection against hospitalization and death at 15 weeks. In my opinion, basically if you are at high risk for complications to Covid due to pre-existing conditions (or age), then a booster shot is probably worth it. If you are not high risk and relatively healthy, a booster (and definitely the subsequent 4th shot booster) isn't going to do a whole lot.
Is that regardless of which booster you received?

Is that regardless of which booster you received?
pretty much. he talked AZ vs P/M. no mention of J&J. But all boosters appeared to be pretty much the same in that respect with waning efficacy over a 4 month period (versus the 6 months of the original shots).

Reactions: roswelllion
Definitely seeing an uptick in cases. Up to 52K per day versus the low of 28k in early April. New hospital admissions upto 1840 from the low of 1422 in early April. Up 15% week over week. Good thing is when you look at the graphs, in previous spikes, the increase was at a 45 degree angle or more going up. This increase is a very slow gradual curve. Tells me that our natural immunity is real and closing in on herd immunity. Would not be surprised to see a slow gradual increase over the month of May which could bring us finally up into the 70% or more with natural immunity to the point of reaching true herd immunity.

Anybody paying attention to China right now. Just crazy their ZERO covid policy. Heard something over the weekend that something like 100 million chinese are currently under lockdown in over 20 cities including nearly 20M in Shanghai. The discussion as to why the crazy policy came down to two things, the first being that China vaccine has shown to not be very effective (as compared to AZ, J&J, P, M) and the chinese medical system, especially outside of major cities would get overwhelmed pretty quickly. The second is that the government has had the zero covid policy in place from the beginning and been telling the people how great they are compared to the west and therefore to back off that policy (even though with Omicron it doesn't make sense) would show weakness and the chinese govt. cannot show any weakness to the population.

Definitely seeing an uptick in cases. Up to 52K per day versus the low of 28k in early April. New hospital admissions upto 1840 from the low of 1422 in early April. Up 15% week over week. Good thing is when you look at the graphs, in previous spikes, the increase was at a 45 degree angle or more going up. This increase is a very slow gradual curve. Tells me that our natural immunity is real and closing in on herd immunity. Would not be surprised to see a slow gradual increase over the month of May which could bring us finally up into the 70% or more with natural immunity to the point of reaching true herd immunity.
there was a lot of messaging over the weekend that we would never achieve herd immunity due to the fact that covid immunity fades 4 months after recovery and lasts, to some level, up to about 8 months. bottom line is that we have to live with this. It is today (Omicron levels x.xx) not a lot different than the average flu. time to move on, IMHO>

Anybody paying attention to China right now. Just crazy their ZERO covid policy. Heard something over the weekend that something like 100 million chinese are currently under lockdown in over 20 cities including nearly 20M in Shanghai. The discussion as to why the crazy policy came down to two things, the first being that China vaccine has shown to not be very effective (as compared to AZ, J&J, P, M) and the chinese medical system, especially outside of major cities would get overwhelmed pretty quickly. The second is that the government has had the zero covid policy in place from the beginning and been telling the people how great they are compared to the west and therefore to back off that policy (even though with Omicron it doesn't make sense) would show weakness and the chinese govt. cannot show any weakness to the population.
It's interesting, I visited Israel in February, and Omicron was causing them to move towards letting it run its course. Going in, over 90% of the population is vaccinated and boosted, nobody was allowed to enter without proof of recent vaccination or booster (2 or 3 months, IIRC), proof of a negative test within 72 hours of arrival, and a test upon arrival were required. They still got hit by Omicron. As I was getting ready to leave, they were ending the vaccination requirements and expecting to made addition reductions in the requirements. I haven't kept up with any additional changes they may have made.

there was a lot of messaging over the weekend that we would never achieve herd immunity due to the fact that covid immunity fades 4 months after recovery and lasts, to some level, up to about 8 months. bottom line is that we have to live with this. It is today (Omicron levels x.xx) not a lot different than the average flu. time to move on, IMHO>
Any sane person with no agenda knows that it was time to move on a long time ago, and I'm happy that it seems as if most people have.

I find it annoying that when an athlete has to miss a game because of an illness now, it has to be stated whether it is a non-Covid illness. Since the Covid-19 virus has become endemic like other so many other Corona viruses, why does this even have to be mentioned? Are they going to begin to state exactly what flu-like virus has made an athlete ill, or it just going to be whatever the Covid-19 virus has become.

By the way, when has a virus mutated so much that it simply is a different virus?

Last edited:
Any sane person with no agenda knows that it was time to move on a long time ago, and I'm happy that it seems as if most people have.

I find it annoying that when an athlete has to miss a game because of an illness now, it has to be stated whether it is a non-Covid illness. Since the Covid-19 virus has become endemic like other so many other Corona viruses, why does this even have to be mentioned? Are they going to begin to state exactly what flu-like virus has made an athlete ill, or it just going to be whatever the Covid-19 virus has become.

By the way, when has a virus mutated so much that it simply is a different virus?
Yes because now the common cold will start to get named and people will want to lockdown for every sniffle

So a work colleague went to a small conference last week, the conference was cancelled the last two years. He now has Covid and has been emailed by the conference that 5 other people have also tested positive. I suspect the entire conference has it as one of those conferences where it is basically in one room and all eat together and some crowded bar sessions in the evenings. Strangely enough another work colleague was down for business in Mexico two weeks ago and came back with Covid. He was out basically all last week feeling really bad and he was on a video call yesterday and looked/sounded horrible, said the worst is over but still has sore throat and generally not anywhere near 100%. And he is mid 40's and in super shape so goes to show that who Covid effects and how it effects them can be pretty random. So definitely think this little uptick in cases we are seeing is real.

So a work colleague went to a small conference last week, the conference was cancelled the last two years. He now has Covid and has been emailed by the conference that 5 other people have also tested positive. I suspect the entire conference has it as one of those conferences where it is basically in one room and all eat together and some crowded bar sessions in the evenings. Strangely enough another work colleague was down for business in Mexico two weeks ago and came back with Covid. He was out basically all last week feeling really bad and he was on a video call yesterday and looked/sounded horrible, said the worst is over but still has sore throat and generally not anywhere near 100%. And he is mid 40's and in super shape so goes to show that who Covid effects and how it effects them can be pretty random. So definitely think this little uptick in cases we are seeing is real.
did they all test positive or are they just sick and believe it is COVID?

Definitely, an uptick as people begin to take their eyes off the ball in terms of washing hands, distancing, and the effects of the shots/prior infections wane. The numbers to watch will be deaths as compared to deaths for the same dates prior to COVID.

did they all test positive or are they just sick and believe it is COVID?

Definitely, an uptick as people begin to take their eyes off the ball in terms of washing hands, distancing, and the effects of the shots/prior infections wane. The numbers to watch will be deaths as compared to deaths for the same dates prior to COVID.
tested positive.

I think basically we will continue to see variants that show an uptick in cases, probably another variant this summer and then another variant at the end of 2022. I would bet that once this wave and those two smaller waves are over, what is currently about 60% with previous infection and natural immunity will rise up into the 75-80% and going into 2023 the natural immunity will be so high that it subsequent variants really have minimal impact. And most likely, other than China, I think the rest of the world ends up in a similar situation as I don't think the USA is unique in the amount of people infected compared to other countries (except China).

Reactions: blmr31 and Obliviax
tested positive.

I think basically we will continue to see variants that show an uptick in cases, probably another variant this summer and then another variant at the end of 2022. I would bet that once this wave and those two smaller waves are over, what is currently about 60% with previous infection and natural immunity will rise up into the 75-80% and going into 2023 the natural immunity will be so high that it subsequent variants really have minimal impact. And most likely, other than China, I think the rest of the world ends up in a similar situation as I don't think the USA is unique in the amount of people infected compared to other countries (except China).

Does Covid become the flu where new variants arise frequently enough to make natural immunity impossible?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT