ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The most popular liquor in every state

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
Thought some of you might find this interesting. Happy Friday night!

AAdB417.img

Unscientific poll to the max. 14,000 drunks per state asked? Certainly is not jameson in PA if it's a real poll.

So many of thtse so called polls are based on data collected from apps, social media and search engines. However they never provide any evidence that these sources are actually representative of the populace at large. I guess I need to get out more because I've never heard of Fireball.

So many of thtse so called polls are based on data collected from apps, social media and search engines. However they never provide any evidence that these sources are actually representative of the populace at large. I guess I need to get out more because I've never heard of Fireball.

Fireball is cinnamon whiskey, tastes like the atomic fireball candy. Was in the news last year because the American recipe has a chemical used in anti freeze in it. They accidentally shipped the American version to Europe and people flipped out over there because they are against drinking anti freeze.

Reactions: mal359
What is fireball? Apparently half the country counts it as their favorite liquor. Never heard of it

When I see a poll like this that immediately looks suspicious...I mean, Fireball? I immediately think the poll is sponsored by Fireball.

Jameson is favorite in PA! Ha, ha, ha! I believe not. There is a great number of Irish, but to name a specific brand is ridiculous. We all have our favorite Irish Whiskey.

My favorite is Bourbon (any brand)! Around the holidays, it is Four Queens mixed to create Boilo (a Polish/Lithuanian) holiday drink!

In the Coal Region, counties bordering Schuylkill County, the favorite liquor is any cheap whisky that is drunk with a glass of beer, that is, a Miners Highball. Get a shot of "old rot gut" and beer (Yuengling Premium or local favorite); drink the shot straight down; follow with 6 ounce gulp of beer. Will loosen up and coal dust in your lungs.

Last edited:
This poll is a joke. I live in Kentucky and can guarantee you the most popular drink is bourbon by a long shot. The difference is there are a gazillion brands and everyone has their favorite. So a specific brand may not have generated enough sales to register as number one but bourbon in general is way more popular than Crown.

Reactions: psu1969a
Fireball is cinnamon whiskey, tastes like the atomic fireball candy. Was in the news last year because the American recipe has a chemical used in anti freeze in it. They accidentally shipped the American version to Europe and people flipped out over there because they are against drinking anti freeze.
Somewhat misleading. Europe and America allows this just Europe in smaller quantity. It is also used in the new environmentally friendly antifreeze. I read an article yesterday where soy is used by ford in vehicles. I think it would be misleading if I said the soy milk people drink has car parts in it.

Pure BS. Vodka has become the leading liquor consumed in the USA. And my guess is that some brand of Tequilla is much more popular in many States in the southwest than the ones shown on this bogus survey. There are industry statistics which are no doubt available which can provide the real answers.

In my part of PA it's Captain Morgan, Jack, Vodka, and Bacardi. I don't know 1 person that drinks Jameson.

Fireball has ripped through the country like wild fire... Pun intended. I am actually more surprised that the country in a not even close margin prefers whiskey

That's clearly time dependent data. Fireball was/is a pretty big trend over the past 12 months or so among 20-somethings (who do most of the drinking). Not really a good measure of a long term favorite in any state and more indicative of what's popular in the short term. I'm guessing Zima was the drink of most states in 1998....

From the link:

The Top 5 Best Selling Brands of Spirits (alcohol) in the U.S.

Brand of Spirit Company Name
headquarters
Market Share Cases Sold

1 Smirnoff (vodka) Diageo
London, UK 4.8% 9,880,000
2 Bacardi (rum) Bacardi
Hamilton, Bermuda 4.6% 9,541,000
3 Captain Morgan (rum) Diageo
London, UK 3.0% 6,112,000
4 Jack Daniel's (whisky) Brown-Forman
Louisville, Kentucky, USA 2.4% 4,847,000
5 Absolut (vodka) Pernod Ricard
(Paris, France)

Sources: U.S. Drinks Conference: "U.S. Beverage Alcohol Trends 2013".

List Notes: Data is most popular brands of spirits alcohol consumed in the United States in 2012. Cases sold are 9 litre cases. Data is latest available data as of February 3rd, 2015.

http://top5ofanything.com/index.php?h=960ff80e

Last edited:
From another source:

Best Selling Spirits in the U.S.A.

1.gif
Smirnoff
Smirnoff is our handsdown favorite. Pure, clean and ultrasmooth, with pleasing texture and classic vodka aroma.
2.gif
Bacardi
Look out for your special bottle of Ultimate Party Bacardi Breezer the world's most favorite rum.
3.gif
Absolut
From locally grown wheat and well-water from the town of Ahus in southern Sweden where all Absolut is produced.
4.gif
Jack Daniels
In 1904 Mr. Jack Daniel himself came back from the World's Fair to Lynchburg with the world's best whiskey.
5.gif
Jose Cuervo
The most sought-after tequila in the world. José Cuervo "magical elixir", has a smooth and distinctive tequila flavor.

6.gif
Captain Morgan
Captain Morgan Private Stock is an extremely smooth, rich blend of the Captain's Puerto Rican rum and distinctive spices.

7.gif
Crown Royal
The whiskies selected for Crown Royal are always the smoothest and mellowest.

8.gif
Hennesy
The pleasure of tasting, of sharing, on a summer's night, with a cool breeze. X.O, a great cognac for a great moment.

9.gif
Johnnie Walker
The number one selling Scotch Whisky in the world! Your recipient will appreciate its mix ability with soda and cocktails.
10.gif
Jim Beam
For more than 200 years, the Beam family has been in the business of making the world's best-selling bourbon.

http://www.beerliquors.com/best_selling_spirits.htm

From another source:

Best Selling Spirits in the U.S.A.

1.gif
Smirnoff
Smirnoff is our handsdown favorite. Pure, clean and ultrasmooth, with pleasing texture and classic vodka aroma.
2.gif
Bacardi
Look out for your special bottle of Ultimate Party Bacardi Breezer the world's most favorite rum.
3.gif
Absolut
From locally grown wheat and well-water from the town of Ahus in southern Sweden where all Absolut is produced.
4.gif
Jack Daniels
In 1904 Mr. Jack Daniel himself came back from the World's Fair to Lynchburg with the world's best whiskey.
5.gif
Jose Cuervo
The most sought-after tequila in the world. José Cuervo "magical elixir", has a smooth and distinctive tequila flavor.

6.gif
Captain Morgan
Captain Morgan Private Stock is an extremely smooth, rich blend of the Captain's Puerto Rican rum and distinctive spices.

7.gif
Crown Royal
The whiskies selected for Crown Royal are always the smoothest and mellowest.

8.gif
Hennesy
The pleasure of tasting, of sharing, on a summer's night, with a cool breeze. X.O, a great cognac for a great moment.

9.gif
Johnnie Walker
The number one selling Scotch Whisky in the world! Your recipient will appreciate its mix ability with soda and cocktails.
10.gif
Jim Beam
For more than 200 years, the Beam family has been in the business of making the world's best-selling bourbon.

http://www.beerliquors.com/best_selling_spirits.htm

TJ in regards to #5 and Jose Curevo. It may be the #1 in sales but thats it.
I'm a big Tequila fan both straight and in a Margarita.
My go to Tequilas for a Margarita are.
Sauza Blue. Its a great Tequila for its price point, I can get it around here for $17.00.
its also not bad straight.
After that its Cabo Wabo, Don Julio, 1800 and then Espolon.
Now for sipping I recommend Kah. It comes in a ceramic skull
I prefer the Silver its awesome. The Repasado is also very good but its high test at 110 proof.

In my part of PA it's Captain Morgan, Jack, Vodka, and Bacardi. I don't know 1 person that drinks Jameson.
I drink Jameson. First introduced to it in Ireland for the PSU/UCF game. Toured the distillery. Every night there, it was two Guinness and Jameson Black, neat.

I recently have been buying a few Texas whiskeys and Bourbons which I really like, but just got back from 4 days in Santa Monica, and bought a bottle of Jameson for night time sipping. The Gold is OK and the 18 Year limited is very good.

TJ in regards to #5 and Jose Curevo. It may be the #1 in sales but thats it.
I'm a big Tequila fan both straight and in a Margarita.
My go to Tequilas for a Margarita are.
Sauza Blue. Its a great Tequila for its price point, I can get it around here for $17.00.
its also not bad straight.
After that its Cabo Wabo, Don Julio, 1800 and then Espolon.
Now for sipping I recommend Kah. It comes in a ceramic skull
I prefer the Silver its awesome. The Repasado is also very good but its high test at 110 proof.

Good comments BBrown.

Best selling doesn't mean best for many people.
Appreciate your inputs.
I'll try some of your picks. Thanks

Fireball makes me wish that the 21st Amendment was never ratified. I think that I'd rather drink bathtub gin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT