ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rolling Stone’s List of Best Sitcoms

MWC was ground breaking. Now one can argue that it was ground that did not need breaking, but there is no denying it changed television. It was the first huge show for Fox. People forget there were only 3 networks until Fox broke the mold. MWC was also one of the first shows to really capture the desperation that some people feel stuck in a job they hate and in a family which dissapoints. Very similar to the Honeymooners, but cruder. Definitely reflective of where we have gone as a society.
I agree. MWC made it more broadly ok not to see yourself or your family in the era of perfect 80s sitcom families. I mean how many families were as functional as The Cosby or Family Ties or Growing Pains or...

In many ways, MWC set the foundation for shows like Roseann, which were more serious and critically acclaimed.

That is an interesting thought. The first mismatched TV couple? I think Ralph Kramden was definitely less attractive than Alice. That is really the only other one I can think of before MWC. Afterwards I can think of a bunch.
Al was a HS football star. Peggy was the class skank. It could be argued that she outkicked HER coverage.

One of the numerous reasons I've always found Friends insufferable was the Ross/Rachel thing. I mean, C'mon...

Reactions: WestSideLion
Al was a HS football star. Peggy was the class skank. It could be argued that she outkicked HER coverage.

One of the numerous reasons I've always found Friends insufferable was the Ross/Rachel thing. I mean, C'mon...
I thought Friends was good for the first season, then was crap afterwards.

Reactions: BBrown
I thought Friends was good for the first season, then was crap afterwards.
It didn’t age well. There are very few that age at all well, to be honest, MASH is unwatchable for me now, other than old favorites like the Chicago Rib episode. “You forgot the cole slaw?”

Some that have aged especially well:

The Honeymooners
Roseanne
Taxi
All in the Family
The Andy Griffith Show (of course)

It was the recycled Sam and Diane plot line from Cheers. Friends had little substance without it and that tells the tale. It’s ranked way too high, IMO.

I was just thinking about it from a physical perspective, but you are right.

It was the recycled Sam and Diane plot line from Cheers. Friends had little substance without it and that tells the tale. It’s ranked way too high, IMO.
I just thought it sucked always and forever. I think I laughed at Phoebe once. When she sang Smelly Cat.

Another omission (from MY personal list) would be Fernwood Tonight. Gee, I wonder where Gary Schandling got his idea from. He got it from Norman Lear and Alan Thicke - who was the head writer on Fernwood Tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodpecker
It didn’t age well. There are very few that age at all well, to be honest, MASH is unwatchable for me now, other than old favorites like the Chicago Rib episode. “You forgot the cole slaw?”

The Honeymooners
Roseanne
Taxi
All in the Family
Based on the entirety of its run, MASH could belong on both a best of all time list and a worst of all time list. The last few years of that show were as bad as any sitcom ever made.

Based on the entirety of its run, MASH could belong on both a best of all time list and a worst of all time list. The last few years of that show were as bad as any sitcom ever made.
Its always interesting to me how differently people see things.

I thought the two doctors, no matter who played the roles, were bullies and mean. I just didn't like them at all.

Secondly, it was very anti-war. And, of course, who isn't? But that is the small ball way of looking at it. We see today two stark differences between north and south korea. The south is one of the best run nations in the world and the north, one of the worst if not THE worst. Millions of south koreans lives were saved as was a tremendous advancement south koreans have made to the benefit of the entire world. At the same time, there was no way if communism was going to be stopped if they took over SK. At the time, communists were making worldwide advancements including south America.

Thank God for those soldiers who saved generations of people after them.

Of course war is bad and sucks. But there are bad people in this world and sometimes war is necessary. And while the good Drs had their point of view and it was often correct, they never really gave credit to the good that the Korean war did.

It ended when Alan Alda ordained himself a comedy genius
Pretty much agree. But they did have some pretty dramatic and even ground breaking episodes. I specifically remember one where a soldier needed an operation but there was a time limit involved and they put a digital clock on the bottom of the screen that ran off the time as the episode played out. I liked MASH but the last few years weren't my favorites.

Pretty much agree. But they did have some pretty dramatic and even ground breaking episodes. I specifically remember one where a soldier needed an operation but there was a time limit involved and they put a digital clock on the bottom of the screen that ran off the time as the episode played out. I liked MASH but the last few years weren't my favorites.

I think that is the ways of things concerning entertainment. When entertainment is made with the goal of "entertaining", it can produce some really miraculous things. It can address taboo subjects with humor like All in the Family, serve as social commentary like Roseanne or show the realities of war like MASH.

When the starting point is to preach or send a message is when the show or comedy becomes tedious and unwatcheable. I think often of the Ellen Show. The first few seasons were brilliant. Hilarious. Some of the funniest TV ever. AND it was really influential in placing LBG issues before the public in a humanizing, personal fashion. Once the show got acclaim the whole tone changed. It became about sending a message rather than entertaining. A lot of the later episodes were terrible and tone deaf.

Reactions: LionJim and BBrown
MWC was ground breaking. Now one can argue that it was ground that did not need breaking, but there is no denying it changed television. It was the first huge show for Fox. People forget there were only 3 networks until Fox broke the mold. MWC was also one of the first shows to really capture the desperation that some people feel stuck in a job they hate and in a family which dissapoints. Very similar to the Honeymooners, but cruder. Definitely reflective of where we have gone as a society.
Yep. Married With Children helped launch FOX much like South Park helped launch Comedy Central. I don't know if that's a factor in these rankings but both are historic shows in that sense.

I think that is the ways of things concerning entertainment. When entertainment is made with the goal of "entertaining", it can produce some really miraculous things. It can address taboo subjects with humor like All in the Family, serve as social commentary like Roseanne or show the realities of war like MASH.

When the starting point is to preach or send a message is when the show or comedy becomes tedious and unwatcheable. I think often of the Ellen Show. The first few seasons were brilliant. Hilarious. Some of the funniest TV ever. AND it was really influential in placing LBG issues before the public in a humanizing, personal fashion. Once the show got acclaim the whole tone changed. It became about sending a message rather than entertaining. A lot of the later episodes were terrible and tone deaf.
Excellent point about "The Ellen Show or These Friends of Mine".
I thought the episode where Ellen finally came out was pretty funny.
Geez do remember the bruhaha over the 2 women kissing on The Roseanne show?

MWC was never one of my favorites, and I have not watched the entire series as I lost some interest after a couple seasons. But aside from Bud, I think the 3 other main actors are outstanding in everything they do, including MWC. Those 3 Bundys were certainly memorable characters.
Maybe that was due to acting ability too. All of the Bundys have had very successful acting careers except Bud. I can't think of any shows he's been in since.

Reactions: Bob78
Yep. Married With Children helped launch FOX much like South Park helped launch Comedy Central. I don't know if that's a factor in these rankings but both are historic shows in that sense.
Yea there were a couple I remember with FOX; The Tracy Ulman show might have started it all off along with MWC. I also remember Parker Lewis cant loose and 21 Jump street.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
Friends at #38? NFW.

Agreed. Shocked it made the list.
Not that I hated Friends but there's nothing about it which is memorable to me. With many of the other shows listed which I've seen, I can think about some memorable scenes and still get a bit of a chuckle without actually seeing them. With Friends, there isn't one scene I can readily recall which does the same. The first two things which come to mind are overused "How you doin'?!?!" and "Could I BE anymore (insert adjective here)?!?!"

Obviously sitcom is a mashup of situation comedy. I don't find it noteworthy if a show relies on goofy wisecracks for laughs. The best humor lies in the situations the characters find themselves in and their reactions to them. Most shows on the list do that masterfully.

Not that I hated Friends but there's nothing about it which is memorable to me. With many of the other shows listed which I've seen, I can think about some memorable scenes and still get a bit of a chuckle without actually seeing them. With Friends, there isn't one scene I can readily recall which does the same. The first two things which come to mind are overused "How you doin'?!?!" and "Could I BE anymore (insert adjective here)?!?!"

Obviously sitcom is a mashup of situation comedy. I don't find it noteworthy if a show relies on goofy wisecracks for laughs. The best humor lies in the situations the characters find themselves in and their reactions to them. Most shows on the list do that masterfully.
the only thing I remember from Friends is Smelly Cat. LOL.

the only thing I remember from Friends is Smelly Cat. LOL.

The only thing I remember (outside of an apartment none of them could afford in NYC at the time), was the one with Ross's 'freebie' list... - often thought of doing a thread about that here, but passed.

Last edited:

The Honeymooners
Roseanne
Taxi
All in the Family

Frasier began airing over 25 years ago, and still holds up for me as well today as when it aired.

I think the finale was about as dumb as it gets.
I liked the finale...I think expectations were too high and no matter what they did, people would be upset. I like that they brought everyone back and that was about the only way they could do it.

Its always interesting to me how differently people see things.

I thought the two doctors, no matter who played the roles, were bullies and mean. I just didn't like them at all.

Secondly, it was very anti-war. And, of course, who isn't? But that is the small ball way of looking at it. We see today two stark differences between north and south korea. The south is one of the best run nations in the world and the north, one of the worst if not THE worst. Millions of south koreans lives were saved as was a tremendous advancement south koreans have made to the benefit of the entire world. At the same time, there was no way if communism was going to be stopped if they took over SK. At the time, communists were making worldwide advancements including south America.

Thank God for those soldiers who saved generations of people after them.

Of course war is bad and sucks. But there are bad people in this world and sometimes war is necessary. And while the good Drs had their point of view and it was often correct, they never really gave credit to the good that the Korean war did.
They were probably bullies, but they were funny characters. It wasn’t real life, but a sitcom. When it stopped being a sitcom it was unbearable. People complain about the Seinfeld finale but the absolute worst series finale I’ve ever seen was MASH. It was brutal.

Reactions: Obliviax
Frasier began airing over 25 years ago, and still holds up for me as well today as when it aired.
I don't mind that show, but won't go out of my way to watch it. The two main characters to me aren't very likable.

Modern Family itop 10. Each show was extremely funny and well crafted by exceptional writing. It won 5 Emmy's for best sitcom.

Reactions: rotzc and BBrown
I see a few references to Schitt's Creek. I can't believe I forgot that show. IMHO, I'd go
  1. Schitt's Creek
  2. Seinfeld
  3. Curb Your Enthusiasm
  4. All in the Family
  5. I Love Lucy
  6. Mary Tyler Moore Show
  7. Modern Family
  8. Soap
  9. Good Times
  10. Frazier

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT