ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rolling Stone’s List of Best Sitcoms

They were probably bullies, but they were funny characters. It wasn’t real life, but a sitcom. When it stopped being a sitcom it was unbearable. People complain about the Seinfeld finale but the absolute worst series finale I’ve ever seen was MASH. It was brutal.

I think partly that is what made it funny. They were bullies. They also were really funny. A lot of humor is about perspective. There are people who can make fun of me about being bald or old, but they are my fellow bald, old guys. If a kid does it I look at him like, "Shut up kid." The Seinfeld characters were absurdly unrealistic, but illustrated that life is a little crazy even at its most "normal."

It makes no effing sense that I can make a reservation, but not have a rental car. That was brilliant comedy. Does anyone say that to the clerk at the desk in that way? We probably all should. Come to think about it, I bet people who work for Hertz loathe Seinfeld.

I think partly that is what made it funny. They were bullies. They also were really funny. A lot of humor is about perspective. There are people who can make fun of me about being bald or old, but they are my fellow bald, old guys. If a kid does it I look at him like, "Shut up kid." The Seinfeld characters were absurdly unrealistic, but illustrated that life is a little crazy even at its most "normal." It makes no effing sense that I can make a reservation, but not have a rental car. That was brilliant comedy. Does anyone say that to the clerk at the desk in that way? We probably all should. Come to think about it, I bet people who work for Hertz loathe Seinfeld.

May be why Hertz is now bankrupt.

A good enough list. Simpsons at 1, Cheers 2, Seinfeld 3, Lucy 4, AITF 5.

Nice list. I definitely think The Office should be ranked higher and ahead of Parks & Rec. While true Parks is warmer, The Office was definitely funnier IMO.

Reactions: LionJim
Nice list. I definitely think The Office should be ranked higher and ahead of Parks & Rec. While true Parks is warmer, The Office was definitely funnier IMO.
I was a huge fan of the Office and a late adopter of Parks and Rec. I think the office at it's funniest was far funnier (especially some of the Jim and Dwight stuff) but I think Parks and Rec might have been better written from a comedy perspective.

In other words, Office = more LOLs; P&R = more smiles on a per episode basis.

Parks & Rec was more consistent. The last few seasons of the office are unwatchable.

Al was a HS football star. Peggy was the class skank. It could be argued that she outkicked HER coverage.

One of the numerous reasons I've always found Friends insufferable was the Ross/Rachel thing. I mean, C'mon...
This is painfully true, i have known at least a half dozen Peggy's and Al's. That's what makes it funny to me, i've known people who fit Seinfeld episodes, like Putty, Poppy, & Elaine.

When we were growing up all the kids never had houses like Donna Reed, My 3 Sons, Bewitched, Father Knows Best etc. We would say " who lives like this around here".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT