ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "Report: Three Dozen Programs Could Face Penalties..." (New info from Yahoo Sports added.)....

Ten Thousan Marbles

Gold Member
Feb 6, 2014
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...ruiting/ar-BBJ9eoJ?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Schlabach's report—which also says that Gatto and Code are seeking to have their charges dropped on the grounds that their conduct did not violate federal law—would seem to suggest that the FBI has investigated dozens of programs that have not yet been connected to the probe.

"It's not the mid-major programs who were trying to buy players to get to the top," a source told ESPN. "It's the teams that are already there."

I think this is what prompted probably Alabama to voluntarily give up their string of #1 classes in football recruiting. The basketball probe either scared or tipped them off to not paying for football recruits, even as schools like Ohio St and Georgia likely ramped up their payments this year. I think Bama and maybe even Auburn probably thought the basketball probe made it too hot to continue football purchases.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...ruiting/ar-BBJ9eoJ?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Schlabach's report—which also says that Gatto and Code are seeking to have their charges dropped on the grounds that their conduct did not violate federal law—would seem to suggest that the FBI has investigated dozens of programs that have not yet been connected to the probe.

"It's not the mid-major programs who were trying to buy players to get to the top," a source told ESPN. "It's the teams that are already there."
Yeah, with March madness approaching, it’s probably about time for this whole thing to re-emerge

What kind of backwards world do we live in? The NCAA continues to insert itself, attempting to do the FBI’s job at universities, while the FBI inserts itself and does the NCAA’s job.
NCAA incapable of doing their job. Heck, NCAA mgmt. is clueless regarding the organization's real mission.

Reactions: Bob78 and 91Joe95

Yesterday we had 17 people murdered in Florida by a deranged person. Supposedly, the FBI was told beforehand that this person was a nutjob with intentions of committing such a heinous crime. The FBI did nothing to follow up on the report.

Why is the the FBI using resources to investigate college recruiting practices? This has nothing to do with keeping us safe. In my opinion college recruiting practices are none of the FBI's business. It should not be on their radar. The FBI should work full time keeping us safe and let low priority items like college recruiting practices fall on someone else's shoulders. In the overall scheme of things, college recruiting practices just aren't that important.

It the FBI has so many agents that they have time to investigate college recruiting practices, then their funding should be reduced so that the federal deficit goes down.

Last edited:
It seems lately that the NCAA likes to penalize by revising W/L history. For lesser cases, they could revise history by making the final score closer. Letting the penalized team keep their win but making it appear that they struggled more than what really happened.

Reactions: krichards
NCAA incapable of doing their job. Heck, NCAA mgmt. is clueless regarding the organization's real mission.
If you are the NCAA and raking in millions, what is your incentive to govern those that bring the most money? How in the world did UNC walk? ND basically lost games from years ago...oh dear. The NCAA makes a billion dollars a year and claim about 900 million or so in expenses, but 100 million a year profit doesn't suck. Now I don't know if part of that 900 million includes their salaries which it probably does...that is more on an Art or Lar question...but the point still stands.

If you are the NCAA and raking in millions, what is your incentive to govern those that bring the most money? How in the world did UNC walk? ND basically lost games from years ago...oh dear. The NCAA makes a billion dollars a year and claim about 900 million or so in expenses, but 100 million a year profit doesn't suck. Now I don't know if part of that 900 million includes their salaries which it probably does...that is more on an Art or Lar question...but the point still stands.

Just off the top of my head (I'll look later to confirm). the $900mm includes all distributions made to member schools/conferences (there are also awards to individual student-athletes, but they are paltry by comparison).

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Just off the top of my head (I'll look later to confirm). the $900mm includes all distributions made to member schools/conferences (there are also awards to individual student-athletes, but they are paltry by comparison).
I mean Emmert is up to $2 million a year for the most part. Does he really want to rock the boat for any change? 2 million a year to run a "NON profit"...something there seems a wee bit off.

I think this is what prompted probably Alabama to voluntarily give up their string of #1 classes in football recruiting. The basketball probe either scared or tipped them off to not paying for football recruits, even as schools like Ohio St and Georgia likely ramped up their payments this year. I think Bama and maybe even Auburn probably thought the basketball probe made it too hot to continue football purchases.

Schools paying recruits are not violations of Federal law. Besides, Bama, OSU, and Georgia are all Nike schools.

Schools paying recruits are not violations of Federal law. Besides, Bama, OSU, and Georgia are all Nike schools.

I’m as dumb as they come with the law (never a big fan), but if a school wires a large sum of money to a recruit’s parents out of state as an enticement, does the Fibby get involved? Is it a federal crime at that point?

I’m as dumb as they come with the law (never a big fan), but if a school wires a large sum of money to a recruit’s parents out of state as an enticement, does the Fibby get involved? Is it a federal crime at that point?

Ordinarily, no, there is no violation of law unless the states involved have some prohibition against schools doing this.

Yesterday we had 17 people murdered in Florida by a deranged person. Supposedly, the FBI was told beforehand that this person was a nutjob with intentions of committing such a heinous crime. The FBI did nothing to follow up on the report.

Why is the the FBI using resources to investigate college recruiting practices? This has nothing to do with keeping us safe. In my opinion college recruiting practices are none of the FBI's business. It should not be on their radar. The FBI should work full time keeping us safe and let low priority items like college recruiting practices fall on someone else's shoulders. In the overall scheme of things, college recruiting practices just aren't that important.

It the FBI has so many agents that they have time to investigate college recruiting practices, then their funding should be reduced so that the federal deficit goes down.
I get your frustration but the article doesn't say the FBI is investigating recruiting practices per se but rather "mass corruption, bribery and wire fraud involving some of the sport's top programs." Financial crimes are a big part of FBI operations. With the amount of cash flowing through the NCAA and big time basketball, it would be an easy place for bad actors to launder money. What's better than the NCAA cesspool which is just as dirty?

Reactions: Osprey Lion

I think that the FBI knows what our bad guys can and cannot be successfully charged with. Unfortunately, there are awful times when hands are tied until a crime is committed.

You seem to be suggesting that the FBI's arsenal of possible charges should be enlarged.

I think that the FBI knows what our bad guys can and cannot be successfully charged with. Unfortunately, there are awful times when hands are tied until a crime is committed.

You seem to be suggesting that the FBI's arsenal of possible charges should be enlarged.

In September 2017, the FBI was notified that someone with the name of the shooter posted a comment to a YouTube video threatening to become a school shooter. The FBI contacted and interviewed the owner of the YouTube account, who lives in Mississippi, shortly after he notified them of the posting. What the FBI did between then and yesterday is unknown at this point.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles

My post was influenced by the horrid shooting yesterday and the fact that the FBI was warned that the shooter was a nutjob capable of such an act. If the FBI used the agents who investigated college recruiting to tail the shooter, then the shooting might have been prevented. However, I recognize that their are thousands, maybe millions, of similar nutjobs running around in our free society and the FBI can't tail all of them.

Like other law enforcement agencies, the FBI isn’t just tasked with investigating crimes that keep us safe. They investigate a lot of other crimes too. The FBI probably gets hundreds of reports daily about all sorts of things and they’re working with limited resources.

All anyone needs to know about the FBI is..........Louis Freeh.

I’m sure it won’t happen, but I’d love to see the Fibby walk emmert out of ncaa headquarters in handcuffs.

They say up to 36 universities are involved- mainly the big established programs. I hope the FBI doesn’t stop there but starts to look at NCAA leadership in Indianapolis to see if they’ve enabled the law breaking.

It funny how the NCAA can decide quickly to come down on certain schools for really trivial stuff like letting an athlete wash their car using the water hose from the side of a university building, but then become totally inept and powerless when money maker UNC is using fake classes to keep players eligible or when Auburn is paying football player’s families.

I really hope the FBI takes this investigation to the end and is not just be happy with the PR of catching 36 teams in cheating.

In September 2017, the FBI was notified that someone with the name of the shooter posted a comment to a YouTube video threatening to become a school shooter. The FBI contacted and interviewed the owner of the YouTube account, who lives in Mississippi, shortly after he notified them of the posting. What the FBI did between then and yesterday is unknown at this point.
As Lemon suggested in his response, all they really would have been able to do is tail him....maybe they could pay him a visit, as they often do....but they could also confirm that the weapons he was showing were legally and legally purchased. If no crimes were found, not much they could do.

And, you are right....we just don't know yet.

Ordinarily, no, there is no violation of law unless the states involved have some prohibition against schools doing this.
Are you of the opinion that the crimes of "mass corruption, bribery and wire fraud involving some of the sport's top programs" which drew the FBI to college basketball don't also occur in college football?

I admit that it is likely to a larger scale in basketball, but I also am quite certain that the same practices are occurring in college football.

It'll be like Al Capone, they'll get em on tax evasion

Reactions: psu00
Are you of the opinion that the crimes of "mass corruption, bribery and wire fraud involving some of the sport's top programs" which drew the FBI to college basketball don't also occur in college football?

I admit that it is likely to a larger scale in basketball, but I also am quite certain that the same practices are occurring in college football.

The closest case in football is Reggie Bush and he was already at USC when it started and it didn't involve a major sports apparel company. Beyond that, I'm not aware of anything that would cause me to form an opinion as to its extent.

My thoughts exactly.

What would you have the FBI do that wouldn't violate his human rights?
I agree with you on the rest. Maybe Trump should hand out some pink slips at the agency.

As Lemon suggested in his response, all they really would have been able to do is tail him....maybe they could pay him a visit, as they often do....but they could also confirm that the weapons he was showing were legally and legally purchased. If no crimes were found, not much they could do.

And, you are right....we just don't know yet.

No need to visit him to confirm the weapons were bought legally. It's in the system.

All anyone needs to know about the FBI is..........Louis Freeh.

Exactly! But here's the truth that some on younz can't seem to wrap your heads around. That same logic can be extended to Comey, McCabe and Peter Strzok. It lives!

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-co...hes-top-programs-lottery-picks-224417174.html

Pete Thamel, Yahoo Sports.......today:

Sources: College hoops corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs, lottery picks

Multiple sources who’ve been briefed on the case and are familiar with the material obtained by feds told Yahoo Sports that the impact on the sport will be substantial and relentless. Sitting under protective order right now are the fruits of 330 days of monitoring activity by the feds, which one assistant US Attorney noted Thursday was “a voluminous amount of material.” That includes wiretaps from 4,000 intercepted calls and thousands of documents and bank records obtained from raids and confiscated computers, including those from notorious NBA agent Andy Miller.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

Reactions: TheGLOV
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-co...hes-top-programs-lottery-picks-224417174.html

Pete Thamel, Yahoo Sports.......today:

Sources: College hoops corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs, lottery picks

Multiple sources who’ve been briefed on the case and are familiar with the material obtained by feds told Yahoo Sports that the impact on the sport will be substantial and relentless. Sitting under protective order right now are the fruits of 330 days of monitoring activity by the feds, which one assistant US Attorney noted Thursday was “a voluminous amount of material.” That includes wiretaps from 4,000 intercepted calls and thousands of documents and bank records obtained from raids and confiscated computers, including those from notorious NBA agent Andy Miller.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

I love it,

Good stuff!

Exactly! But here's the truth that some on younz can't seem to wrap your heads around. That same logic can be extended to Comey, McCabe and Peter Strzok. It lives!
I hear J.Edgar Hoover was a snappy dresser.

One note I read this morning. The FBI was told about the shooter and given his name. Rather than do nothing, it tried to find him but could not locate him. So they did something. Of course it shows how bad their something was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT