ADVERTISEMENT

Just The Facts About Joe Paterno

Has anyone seen something come out of the McQueary trial that can be added to my facts?

Has anyone seen something come out of the McQueary trial that can be added to my facts?

Dr. D (who was told about the MM incident HOURS after it happened) said that what MM described wasn't bad enough to involve police or child services.

And yet, somehow, Joe was supposed to do MORE (than the first two people who were told about the incident) with a watered down version the next day....smh.

You could also probably add the following facts:

- MM testified in 12/16/11 prelim that after his 2001 report he never once saw JS around the program with kids again. He also testified that when reporting the incident to Joe the next day he never said "hey thanks for agreeing to look into this, but we need to call the police", etc.

-MM testified that when Tim Curley called him to follow up with PSU's plan of action a few weeks after their initial meeting, MM never expressed dissatisfaction and never said MORE needed to be done (besides confronting JS, revoking JS' guest privileges, and informing the mandatory reporters at TSM). JM also never expressed any dissatisfaction while having a face to face meeting with Schultz a few months after the inicdent.

Last edited:
Reactions: bplionfan
I am sure there will be tons of new visitors to the board this weekend without facts, we can direct them here.

There's only one thing to know about Paterno:

An aging football coach is more liable for 2nd hand reports of an uncomfortable eye witness report about a man and a boy in a shower than:

-Medical professionals
-Charities established for at-risk children
-State agencies charged with protecting children

There's only one thing to know about Paterno:

An aging football coach is more liable for 2nd hand reports of an uncomfortable eye witness report about a man and a boy in a shower than:

-Medical professionals
-Charities established for at-risk children
-State agencies charged with protecting children

And than the uncomfortable eyewitness himself

I disagree. The big issue with the complaints is that JS was able to victimize post-2001. Argument being that JS should have been stopped at that point based on MM's report. Whether or not the incidents post-2001 happened on PSU campus is irrelevant in my opinion.

Seriously, JS could have molested children in PS turnpike restrooms or one of the famous trucker rest stops that are literal whore houses dotted all over PA. It is irrelevant where the abuse took place. By the logic where one can blame Joe for not seeing what he didn't see regardless of where it took place, one can certainly with more reason implicate every State Attorney General from 1998 till present for ignoring what was obvious in the Gicar Case because they did nothing in the face of acts that scream of the worst kind of foul play and cover-up in the history of PA. Joe was iconic.... that is the only reason he was blamed, there are douches out there, we have all heard them say it.... "They have to be doing something wrong. Nobody wins in Div 1 football without cheating." I have heard this for over 50 years.... To those with that type of rabies.... they have their thing now...even if it is only another of their delusions.

"I would have loved if this place, if we had called it The Home of Dreams. I think it IS the Home of Dreams. It's the home of the dreams that you had when you started college. It was a place that you could achieve those dreams. And hopefully all of us together here, in this gathering -- and the people who are not here that have helped us -- have made it possible for other people to come and have bigger and better dreams in a much more commplicated world than we ever dreamed about when we were young. If we took all the buildings -- if every building for some reason or another was destroyed -- and we had the library, we'd have a University."

"I would have loved if this place, if we had called it The Home of Dreams. I think it IS the Home of Dreams. It's the home of the dreams that you had when you started college. It was a place that you could achieve those dreams. And hopefully all of us together here, in this gathering -- and the people who are not here that have helped us -- have made it possible for other people to come and have bigger and better dreams in a much more complicated world than we ever dreamed about when we were young. If we took all the buildings -- if every building for some reason or another was destroyed -- and we had the library, we'd have a University."

Great words from great people.

"I would have loved if this place, if we had called it The Home of Dreams. I think it IS the Home of Dreams. It's the home of the dreams that you had when you started college. It was a place that you could achieve those dreams. And hopefully all of us together here, in this gathering -- and the people who are not here that have helped us -- have made it possible for other people to come and have bigger and better dreams in a much more commplicated world than we ever dreamed about when we were young. If we took all the buildings -- if every building for some reason or another was destroyed -- and we had the library, we'd have a University."
Great video. Absolutely loved Joe Paterno.

Thank you so much for keeping this up to date BP Lion, I had a friend ask me a couple questions that I knew were on this list regarding the scandal, and was thrilled to see that it had been updated in mid April. It inspired me to make the video below, whereas I also included the majority of your facts in the summary of the video. Hope that's okay!

I came across Sue Paterno's letter to the letterman the other day, and decided to put it out there on youtube. It's so well written, and although I didn't know them personally... I can just see Sue sitting down and writing it, I think it's why I know deep down inside myself that she's telling the truth. It's also why I know I'm probably destined to do great things or something.. I dunno.

What would Joe say if he were alive? Get to the truth, take care of the little things. Make a youtube video, study, and get some rest. And don't neglect the fact of right when you least expect it, disaster can truly be RIGHT around the corner.

My heart goes out to Sue, can't imagine how all of this makes her feel.

Fact 1
Joe Paterno never covered up for Jerry Sandusky.
From the State Prosecutors Office. Chief Deputy Attorney General Frank Fina, the man who led the Sandusky investigation, told 60 Minutes Sports Armen Keteyian he has examined all evidence and found no evidence that Joe Paterno participated in a cover up of any sort.
Joe Paterno did put Mike McQueary in DIRECT touch with both AD Tim Curley, Joe Paterno’s direct supervisor, and Gary Schultz who had oversight of University Police Department. PSU Police Force is the real Police. The Penn State police force comprises 46 armed officers. According to state law, these have both the power and the duty "to prevent crime, investigate criminal acts … and carry the offender before the proper alderman, justice of the peace, magistrate or bail commissioner."

Fact 2
Joe Paterno never interfered with the justice system
. Carmine W. Prestia Jr. I've lived and worked in State College for the past 41 years: 25 with the State College Police Department, one year of retirement, and 15 years as a magisterial district judge. Never once in my time as a police officer or judge has anyone in the football program asked me to cover up anything, withdraw a charge, or do something else unethical. I certainly saw a number of players get in trouble. Offenses ranged from simple summary offenses to felonies of the first degree.
http://www.statecollege.com/news/co...gn-paterno-tampered-in-justice-system,988524/

Fact 3
When Mike called home MOMENTS after the 2001 incident Mike McQueary told his father TWICE he saw nothing more than Jerry Sandusky in a shower with a boy.
Regardless of what Mike now "claims" hours, weeks, months, years later Mike witnessed no sexual act. After that phone call, everything he told/testified to others about what he saw that was not that he SAW NOTHING SEXUAL was manufactured in his head.
John McQueary in his testimony began by recounting the phone call he received from his son moments after witnessing Sandusky and a child in the Lasch building shower room in 2001. His wife answered the phone and immediately handed him the phone, saying “It’s Mike. There’s something wrong.”
I just saw something, I saw Coach Sandusky in the shower with a young boy,” John recalled his son saying.
“I asked him if he had seen anal sex and I got more descriptive. ‘Did you see anything you could verify’ — penetration or maybe I used the word sodomy,” he said. According to his father, Mike McQueary responded, “No, I didn’t actually see that” John McQueary says he asked again, “So you didn’t witness penetration or ANYTHING ELSE you can verify?” His son AGAIN said NO.

Fact 4
The Grand Jury report incorrectly stated that Mike McQueary had witnessed a rape. See also fact #3.
Joe Paterno was never told a report of a child was being raped. Mike McQueary has testified that he never witnessed Jerry Sandusky raping a boy in the shower, and didn’t tell anyone that he did. Because of the lack of evidence, Jerry was not convicted of a rape with regard to this 2001 incident. Also no victim testified in this incident. There has been no one who has come forward that has been found to be truthful that they were sexually assaulted in the shower that night in 2001. There has been a person who has come forward to say that he was there with Jerry that night and was not sexually assaulted. There were THREE not guilty verdicts in the Sandusky case and one of them was Count 7 --the incendiary allegation of a rape (IDSI) -- made by Mike McQueary regarding the 2001 incident.

Fact 5
Joe Paterno was praised by the Attorney General office for his correct handling of the Jerry Sandusky incident in 2001.
Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno did the right thing and reported an eye-witness report of child sex abuse by Jerry Sandusky in the football locker room in 2001, according to the indictment released this morning by the state Attorney General.

Fact 6
Joe Paterno did not ask Mike McQueary to stay quiet on the 2001 incident.
Mike said no one ever gave him instructions to not talk about it. Mike said Coach Paterno was great about the whole thing.

Fact 7
The Office for the Attorney General did not feel Joe Paterno’s reporting of Jerry Sandusky were cause to be fired.
Paterno is accused of no wrongdoing, and in fact authorities have said he fulfilled his legal obligations by reporting to his superiors. Based on the Feb. 2, 2012 subpoena directed at PSU by the US DOJ, Paterno was not a target or even mentioned. Nor did any of the information requested pertain to Paterno.

Fact 8
Child Welfare agencies approved Jerry Sandusky to adopt 6 children.
These were agencies that were educated and trained to spot people who were harmful to children. Jerry Sandusky also fostered dozens more children approved by these agencies. The agencies continued to place the children in Jerry Sandusky’s care over the years, and continued to allow Jerry Sandusky access to children at the 2nd Mile charity for at-risk youths.

Fact 9
The 2nd Mile Charity and youth agencies provided Jerry Sandusky access to trouble youths.
The 2nd Mile gave one on one access to mentors and youth through The Friend and Friend Fitness programs, which pair up adults with children in the hope of fostering positive role model-mentor relationships. The Friend Fitness Program is a mentorship program involving college and elementary students who join together and participate in healthy, educational activities. The Friend Fitness program was available only in Centre County for adolescents.

Fact 10
Joe Paterno didn’t agree with giving 2nd Mile charity access to PSU facilities for 2nd Mile use in Jerry Sandusky retirement package due to insurance liability issues.
Joe was overruled. In the Jerry Sandusky Penn State Retirement Package in 1998- Sandusky asked for access to training and workout facilities. Paterno put a check mark next to that request to deny that request. In a sidebar, Paterno asked if this was for Sandusky's personal use, or for Second Mile kids, and indicated that due to liability problems, facility access should not be extended to Second Mile kids. Paterno was overruled and Jerry Sandusky was granted access to bring Second Mile kids to workout facilities for the 2nd Mile Friends Fitness program.

Fact 11
Jerry Sandusky was retired from Penn State in 1999. He did not coach at Penn State after 1999 and wasn't coaching during the 2001 incident.
For his retirement package he received Emeritus Status. The state was offering 30-year employees a handsome buyout, and Paterno believed Sandusky should take it. Paterno was frustrated that Sandusky spent so much time working on his youth foundation, The Second Mile, that he was not available to help in recruiting and other coaching duties. “He came to see me and we talked a little about his career,” Paterno said. “I said, you know, Jerry, you want to be head coach, you can’t do as much as you’re doing with the other operation. I said this job takes so much detail, and for you to think you can go off and get involved in fundraising and a lot of things like that.. . . I said you can’t do both, that’s basically what I told him.” Even Louis Freeh, could not find a connection to Jerry retiring (see the Freeh report beginning at page 55.)

Fact 12
Due to Jerry Sandusky Emeritus Status, Joe Paterno and Penn State could not remove Jerry Sandusky’s access to Penn State Facilities because he had not been convicted of a crime
. Emeritus Status (entitles bearer to a lifetime office and lifetime access to campus) The Freeh report (page 81) states that University counsel (Cynthia Baldwin) said that the University could not legally revoke Sandusky's access to the athletic facilities because of his Emeritus status, and because he had not been convicted of a crime. Page 106 reiterates this. Page 107 adds that Baldwin said "his access could not be eliminated without the University being sued."

Fact 13
In the Jerry Sandusky trial, no victims testified against Jerry Sandusky that they were abused on Penn State’s campus in 2001.
Also zero victims testified in the trial that they were abused on PSU campus after 2001. MM also testified in the 12/16/11 prelim that after 2001 he never once saw JS around the program with a kid again.

Fact 14
Joe Paterno had no knowledge of 1998 Jerry Sandusky incident being a crime
. What was eventually known is that Jerry Sandusky was exonerated. The 1998 incident was reported to police and thoroughly investigated by all agencies. The police went as far to set up a sting operation by recording conversations Sandusky had with the boy’s mother. The incident was investigated to the fullest extent and the District Attorney concluded no crimes were committed. DPW didn't even think there was enough cause to "indicate" Jerry Sandusky (a much lower standard is needed for this vs. bringing criminal charges btw) nor did they remove his 1 on 1 access to kids after the 1998 claims.In accordance with 055 Pa. Code § 3490.91. regarding the confidentiality of child abuse reports, the information regarding the nature of the 1998 child abuse investigation of Jerry Sandusky was not provided to Timothy Curley, Dr. Graham Spanier, or Joe Paterno. The Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General, Department of Public Welfare, County Youth Services, and the 2nd Mile which is a state licensed children's charity didn't limit Jerry Sandusky access to children after this incident.

Fact 15
There are no facts that point to Paterno knowing anything in 1970’s
. Joe Paterno had been questioned in his Grand jury testimony if he had any prior to 2001 knowledge of Jerry Sandusky inappropriate sexual conduct.
Q: Other than the incident that Mike McQueary reported to you, do you know in any way, through rumor, direct knowledge or any other fashion, of any other inappropriate sexual conduct by Jerry Sandusky with young boys?
Mr. Paterno: I do not know of anything else that Jerry would be involved in of that nature, no. I do not know of it.

Even the 1976 accuser’s own lawyer Michael Boni said “The headlines of these stories is Paterno knew of Sandusky’s molestation in the ’70s, ’76 or ’77. I’m unaware of direct, irrefutable evidence that that’s the case. Believe me, I’m the last person to defend the guy, but I am the first person to believe in our justice system. And I think you need more than anecdotal evidence or speculative evidence.”

There are 2 claims of abuse in the 1970’s but neither falls into the way Jerry Sandusky was to have victimized the boys
Sandusky victimizing acts according to testimony from his reported victims:
1. Never victimized a female.
2. Never victimized a minor male in the presence of a minor female.
3. Never overtly victimized a minor male in the presence of other minor males.
4. Never overtly victimized a minor male in the (known) presence of other adults.
5. Never victimized a stranger.
6. Never used violence to force himself on a minor male.
7. Never provided victims with drugs or alcohol in the commission of his crimes.
Yet the 70’s claims and previously publicized claims include one or more of these as allegations by claimants who received settlements from Penn State. According to Sandusky's criminal profile, he was an acquaintance offender who slowly groomed his victims to comply with various levels of sexual abuse. Not all victims would comply to the same levels, therefore there is varying testimony about the actual crimes. However, what was consistent among Sandusky's victims was the manner in which he operated or his modus operandi. He met his victims through The Second Mile, took about one year to assess them and choose his targets, then began the grooming and apparently victimizing of them.

Fact 16
PSU Board of Trustees did not check the veracity of civil claims of abuse
. They paid claims in the amount of $92 million. Each settlement that PSU paid contained a clause that prevented the claimant to pursue additional monetary compensation from The Second Mile and/or former board members of The Second Mile.

Fact 17
Joe and Sue Paterno allowed their own kids to play with Jerry Sandusky.
"Do you think we'd let our kids play with someone who might be a pedophile?" she asked. "Obviously we were all totally unaware."

Fact 18
Joe Paterno handled the McQueary info how PA sexual abuse detective says it should be handled
. http://chirb.it/t5dK4p 18 year PA sexual abuse detective on what was required and expected of Joe Paterno and the protocol he used. He says Joe Paterno should not have done more.

Fact 19
Joe Paterno did not say he should have done more.
What he did say was qualified: “With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more” Hindsight: wisdom or knowledge gained only after something (usually bad) has happened as was the case in 2011 after Joe Paterno found out the seriousness of the charges against Jerry Sandusky.

Fact 20
Joe Paterno never committed a major recruiting violation
. For someone who people claim he covered up for Jerry Sandusky in order to win football games one would think that sort of person would then treat rules like recruiting rules with little care. Yet as of 2016, there are only four athletic programs from major conferences on the list of non-cheating schools. They are Penn State, Boston College, Northwestern, and Stanford.

Fact 21
Joe Paterno's FBI file included zero mentions of Jerry Sandusky or any mention of Joe Paterno being aware of Jerry Sandusky being a child sexual predator.
The file’s accessible 868 pages don’t mention Jerry Sandusky or the former Penn State assistant coach’s child sexual abuse scandal.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/aug/29/joe-paterno-fbi-file-makes-no-mention-jerry-sandus/

Fact 22
Louis Freeh was unwilling to testify to the conclusions of the Freeh Report in court.
Freeh asked Judge Gary S. Glazer on May 27 to quash a subpoena from Pennsylvania Manufacturers' Association Insurance Co. seeking his deposition testimony on the investigation, saying that Penn State hasn’t waived the attorney-client privilege protecting communications between the university and the investigators, with the exception of what was disclosed in the public report. Furthermore, Freeh’s testimony would be limited to the contents of the report, thus constituting inadmissible hearsay, according to the motion.

Fact 23
Joe Paterno and Jerry Sandusky were not friends off the field.
Despite the media all using the same 1 image of Joe Paterno and Jerry Sandusky standing together, a biography of Penn State football coach Joe Paterno lays out details about his relationship with Jerry Sandusky, including the fact that the two hardly got along - if ever.
In his biography, Paterno, former Sports Illustrated columnist Joe Posnanski writes that the once-iconic coach became irritated with his defensive coordinator when he realized that Sandusky's first priority did not appear to be Penn State football. Paterno, was apparently bothered that Sandusky was focused more on his charity, the Second Mile, than team meetings and recruiting new players.

Jim Clemente is a retired FBI Supervisory Special Agent/Profiler and former Prosecutor for the New York City Law Department During his 22-year career with the FBI, He is an internationally recognized expert in the fields of Child Sexual Victimization, Sexual Homicide, and Child Abduction. Today he teaches and gives presentations around the world. He also consults on Criminal and Civil cases. This Sandusky case is a textbook example of how people in the general public misinterpret the behavior of child sex offenders. And, Jerry Sandusky is a textbook example of a preferential child sex offender and a “nice-guy” acquaintance offender. He effectively groomed most of the people who came in contact with him, including child care experts, psychologists, professionals, celebrities, athletes, coaches, friends and family. The sad truth is people do not recognize the “grooming” behavior of “nice-guy” acquaintance offenders, especially when they know or are close to that person. Unfortunately for the ordinary layman, these type of grooming techniques, as employed by Sandusky, create a huge obstacle to identifying actual offenders. In order to identify and stop child molesters, we must understand how grooming works and the complicated, counter-intuitive dynamics of child sexual victimization.

Fact 24
Media fell for false narrative in Atlanta Olympic bomber case when Louis Freeh pinned the crime falsely on Richard Jewell.
In its rush to show the world how quickly it could get is man, the FBI trampled on my rights as a citizen. In its rush for the headline that the hero was the bomber, the media cared nothing for my feelings as a human being. In their mad rush to fulfill their own personal agendas, the FBI and the media almost destroyed me and my mother. You, the media, were looking too. Your cameras trained on my mother and me, your cameras and the FBI followed my every move. I felt like a hunted animal, followed constantly, waiting to be killed. The media said I fit the profile of a lone bomber. That was a lie. The media said I was a former law enforcement officer, a frustrated police wannabe. That was a lie. I was then and am now a law enforcement officer. The fact that I was between jobs and took a position as a security guard at the Olympics did not change that fact. The media said I was an overzealous officer. That was a lie. Three days into the process, the press went into a kind of media frenzy, and at that particular point, the press was not doing Mr. Jewell, the facts, the case, anybody any great service.
http://www.columbia.edu/itc/journalism/j6075/edit/readings/jewell.html
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/sports-july-dec96-jewell_10-28/

Fact 25
Media fell for false narrative in Duke Lacrosse case that the Duke Lacrosse was covering up for rape.
“The media quickly latched onto a narrative too seductive to check: rich, wild, white jocks had brutalized a working class, black mother of two,” reads the American Journalism Review’s analysis.

Fact 26
Media fell for false narrative in Virginia Fraternity rape case.
Media Bias: Nearly 40 years ago, Bob Dylan, singing about what he felt was a miscarriage of justice, said, "The newspapers, they all went along for the ride." Today the ride goes on, with broadcasters having jumped aboard. This time, the ride was on the back of a University of Virginia fraternity, smeared by a Rolling Stone article accusing members of the group of the gang rape of a female freshman named "Jackie." "The major broadcast networks," reports the Media Research Center, a media watchdog group, "rushed to the story and devoted multiple segments to both the article and reaction on the school's campus." On Nov. 23 and 24, the Big Three networks devoted "11 minutes and 14 seconds" of coverage to the gang rape story. They, of course, were happy to, because it supported the narrative that a brutal "rape culture" exists on American campuses. The narrative has been discredited, but the media played a prominent role in its development and will not easily let it go.
http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/rolling-stone-rape-story-example-of-media-bias/

Mantra
“Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world -- "No, YOU move.”

There is now info coming out that the date used was wrong and McQueary didn't go to Paterno the day after like he testified. Unti;l it is verified, I can't list it as a fact just yet.
http://www.framingpaterno.com/new-p...ruary-9th-2001-was-real-date-mcqueary-episode

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT