ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rep Jim Jordan (OH) denies he turned a blind eye to sex abuse while at OSU.

If you're gonna make a statement that can destroy a guy have the balls to put your name on it.
If you're going to do nothing except snicker when your wrestler gets abused and tells you about it, you are gonna have to deal with some anonymity.

Of course there are things a "man" does when a victim complains to him, and snicker aint it. This isnt about being a man. That ship sailed.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
If you're going to do nothing except snicker when your wrestler gets abused and tells you about it, you are gonna have to deal with some anonymity.

Of course there are things a "man" does when a victim complains to him, and snicker aint it. This isnt about being a man. That ship sailed.

So because some unknown ex wrestler said this....it is fact? I'm beginning to see why the OGBOT knew they could destroy JVP.
There is no motive here but money.

No,
So because some unknown ex wrestler said this....it is fact? I'm beginning to see why the OGBOT knew they could destroy JVP.
There is no motive here but money.
But it is not going away like you think it should. It just isnt. Even if you think these folks should have acted more manly when the team doc fondled them. Because you would have, or something.

No,

But it is not going away like you think it should. It just isnt. Even if you think these folks should have acted more manly when the team doc fondled them. Because you would have, or something.
I'm not surprised its not going away. Hell the world loves this kind of story. It'll linger until someone can come up with something more salacious. Perhaps they should put Lois Lame on the story. I'm sure OSU has a bicycle Bernie who will fan the flames. I've gotta spend my time going back over my life....damn, I had to be victimized by someone.

Reactions: Phil's Rug
can't you believe this is also one?

I really don't care to argue about Jordan. It might very likely be a political hit job and OSU can thank our Commonwealth's attorney and Louis Freeh for the Twitter lynch mob that is now attacking Jordan.

Perhaps OSU fanbois should be howling about our Commonwealth's attorney and Louis Freeh, and that the Freeh "cover up" narrative is now working its radioactive magic on their Columbus/OSU wrestling community.

My concerns are what did that grandstanding asshat Ed Ray do as second in command at OSU to address the (alleged) conduct of male faculty in Larkins Hall.

Ed Ray was one of the most powerful men at Ohio State. He knew.

And did nothing.

ED RAY needs to have a "gut check"

So explain to me WHY it was OKAY that I was threatened with rape by OSU fan boys, harassed on social media and in social settings by OSU alums simply because I spent 4 years at University Park decades ago.

It is not OK. If I was around I would have reported them to the police. In any event, if OSU fans attacked you, it doesn't given anyone the right to smear Jordan or ignore the dishonest past of one of his main accusers, DiSabato. Would also note that, so far, not one of DiSabato's five brothers, all of whom wrestled at OSU in the time at issue, has come out in support of him. Rage is not justice.

Then maybe we'll start looking at the facts.

If you admit that you are not talking about the facts, then there is nothing to discuss. Enjoy your rage fest.

. He will tell you how Larkins Hall, which no longer exists, was a known refuge for voyeurs and molesters while he was wrestling for the university and being celebrated by the Big Ten conference as a model student-athlete.

DiSabato can describe in painstaking detail how Strauss sexually assaulted him, too, under the auspices of routine medical treatment. This is the only time where that unshakeable first-person confidence becomes overwhelmed by emotion. It is the doorway to his darkest place.

Coleman, whom DiSabato manages, can tell you what it was like to sit on a toilet in Larkins and realize he was being spied on by men who were using the sight of his bowel movements for pleasure. How strange men – who nobody seemed to know – always happened to be naked and present during athlete shower times. Russ Hellickson, who coached both Coleman and DiSabato, can tell you how problematic and troubling the non-athletics activity within Larkins was during his tenure with the university.

It's easy to get wound up in the graphic details of sex crimes, so we won't.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

. He will tell you how Larkins Hall, which no longer exists, was a known refuge for voyeurs and molesters while he was wrestling for the university and being celebrated by the Big Ten conference as a model student-athlete.

DiSabato can describe in painstaking detail how Strauss sexually assaulted him, too, under the auspices of routine medical treatment. This is the only time where that unshakeable first-person confidence becomes overwhelmed by emotion. It is the doorway to his darkest place.

Coleman, whom DiSabato manages, can tell you what it was like to sit on a toilet in Larkins and realize he was being spied on by men who were using the sight of his bowel movements for pleasure. How strange men – who nobody seemed to know – always happened to be naked and present during athlete shower times. Russ Hellickson, who coached both Coleman and DiSabato, can tell you how problematic and troubling the non-athletics activity within Larkins was during his tenure with the university.

It's easy to get wound up in the graphic details of sex crimes, so we won't.

Extremely well-written piece. More layers from this onion peeled away.

It seems this could take a trajectory across OSU leadership and if the men are angry enough - to the NCAA.

Mark Emmert, Ed Ray and Jim Delany sure had a lot to say in 2012. When the Nassar scandal hit - NONE of them had a damned thing to say about these women. They regretted what happen to these young women and girls but claimed they didn't have enough information to act. Are you EFFING kidding me? Note that the paper of record that actually broke the story in late 2016 was the IndyStar - where the NCAA is headquartered.

It took all those girls to put a face to Nassar. And still, Emmert and his pals are quiet.

It will take a lot of men to put a face to whatever went on at OSU. Will they? And if these "aging gladiators" band together and do just that - what will Mark Emmert, Ed Ray & Jim Delany's reaction be?

Ohio State fan:

We heaped scorn on the Penn State and Michigan State fans, but some of those same people are now calling all of these wrestlers liars.

Extremely well-written piece. More layers from this onion peeled away.

It seems this could take a trajectory across OSU leadership and if the men are angry enough - to the NCAA.

Mark Emmert, Ed Ray and Jim Delany sure had a lot to say in 2012. When the Nassar scandal hit - NONE of them had a damned thing to say about these women. They regretted what happen to these young women and girls but claimed they didn't have enough information to act. Are you EFFING kidding me? Note that the paper of record that actually broke the story in late 2016 was the IndyStar - where the NCAA is headquartered.

It took all those girls to put a face to Nassar. And still, Emmert and his pals are quiet.

It will take a lot of men to put a face to whatever went on at OSU. Will they? And if these "aging gladiators" band together and do just that - what will Mark Emmert, Ed Ray & Jim Delany's reaction be?
Wendy, much of this was SOP in the 80's. I've said this for six years. In the 80's, many didn't have separate facilities so adults and kids showered together (and these wrestlers were adults, by the law). If this counts as abuse, then I was abused several times.

In the small town were I grew up, there was a men's clothing store that was inexpensive and the owner did tailoring. It was common knowledge, when you tried on pants, the guy would grab your crotch to "see the fit". Everyone just thought he was weird and made fun of it. The guy who cut my hair used to drop his comb on your lap at least once per cut. On the farm where I grew up, my father and brothers used to shower in the basement because my mom wouldn't let us in the living areas of the house when we were so dirty.

Times change. Norms change. This isn't an excuse for Sandusky or Spary or tOSU it is just reality.

Reactions: Ski
Stxbuck 8 HOURS AGO
I'm not saying anything one way or the other about the credibility of the accusers or the political angle vis a vis Rep. Jordan, all I will say is that when I was an undergrad in the mid-90s, w/ zero connections to tOSU athletics other than fandom/knowing a few athletes, Larkins Hall had a reputation for pervy stuff going down in the mens lockerrooms. And, yes, even back then,it was known that saying things like that too loudly could get the PC police brought upon your head.

Stxbuck 8 HOURS AGO
I'm not saying anything one way or the other about the credibility of the accusers or the political angle vis a vis Rep. Jordan, all I will say is that when I was an undergrad in the mid-90s, w/ zero connections to tOSU athletics other than fandom/knowing a few athletes, Larkins Hall had a reputation for pervy stuff going down in the mens lockerrooms. And, yes, even back then,it was known that saying things like that too loudly could get the PC police brought upon your head.

stxbuck knew and did nothing.

Sounds like the administration dropped the ball after the head coach reported it:

He [head coach Hellickson] also saysinappropriate behavior in the wrestling room and showers extended beyond Strauss and that he complained about the behavior, which included people having sex in the wrestling room and watching athletes in the shower, to then-Ohio State intramural sports and recreation director Fred Beekman.

“Certainly all my administrators recognized it was an issue for me,” Hellickson says in the footage. “I’m sure that I talked to them on numerous occasions about my discontent with the environment. I know I had a lot of conversations with Fred Beekman about it. But nothing ever changed.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ribe-abuse-dr-strauss-wrenching-video-n889926

On Thursday, a fifth ex-wrestler, former UFC heavyweight champion Mark Coleman, told the Wall Street Journal that there was no way the Ohio Republican and Freedom Caucus member didn’t know about the sexual abuse being done to athletes by the team doctor, the late Richard Strauss.

Others said that, even giving Jordan the benefit of the doubt on specific events, there still was no way for the congressman to not know about the “pervasive toxic atmosphere.”

Dunyasha Yetts, one of the first wrestlers to speak out, insists in the report that he told Jordan and the head coach about it but ultimately nothing was done.

https://deadspin.com/ex-ohio-state-wrestlers-entire-program-was-toxic-while-1827406717

Wendy, much of this was SOP in the 80's. I've said this for six years. In the 80's, many didn't have separate facilities so adults and kids showered together (and these wrestlers were adults, by the law). If this counts as abuse, then I was abused several times.

In the small town were I grew up, there was a men's clothing store that was inexpensive and the owner did tailoring. It was common knowledge, when you tried on pants, the guy would grab your crotch to "see the fit". Everyone just thought he was weird and made fun of it. The guy who cut my hair used to drop his comb on your lap at least once per cut. On the farm where I grew up, my father and brothers used to shower in the basement because my mom wouldn't let us in the living areas of the house when we were so dirty.

Times change. Norms change. This isn't an excuse for Sandusky or Spary or tOSU it is just reality.
People at PSU made reports outside the university. Victims at MSU made reports to staff members. People at OSU made reports within the university. Obviously those people, especially at MSU, felt there were things outside the "norm" which needed to be brought to the attention of others. To brush everything off by saying, "That's just how it was back then and nobody thought it was bad", is simply sticking one's head in the sand. Reports were made and they died on the vine.

People at PSU made reports outside the university. Victims at MSU made reports to staff members. People at OSU made reports within the university. Obviously those people, especially at MSU, felt there were things outside the "norm" which needed to be brought to the attention of others. To brush everything off by saying, "That's just how it was back then and nobody thought it was bad", is simply sticking one's head in the sand. Reports were made and they died on the vine.
you missed one....the victims at PSU and MSU were minors, the one's at tOSU consenting adults. I don't necessarily agree with it, but if two adult tOSU athletes want to have sex that is there business. That might not be "the norm", but that is "the law". If you suggest that kids should be outlawed from having sex while in college, good luck with that.

Reactions: roswelllion
"The voyeurs would masturbate while watching the wrestlers shower or sit in the sauna, or engage in sexual acts in the areas where the athletes trained, the former wrestlers said" The situation was so egregious that former wrestling head coach Russ Hellickson would at times have to physically drag the gawkers out of the building, several sources familiar with his actions at the time said.

Wtf???. Hey, what you gonna do today? I don't know, I might go watch the wrestlers shower and crank it until I get thrown out..

How the f**k is a situation like that even possible?

"The voyeurs would masturbate while watching the wrestlers shower or sit in the sauna, or engage in sexual acts in the areas where the athletes trained, the former wrestlers said" The situation was so egregious that former wrestling head coach Russ Hellickson would at times have to physically drag the gawkers out of the building, several sources familiar with his actions at the time said.

Wtf???. Hey, what you gonna do today? I don't know, I might go watch the wrestlers shower and crank it until I get thrown out..

How the f**k is a situation like that even possible?
of course, I wasn't there, but I personally find that hard to believe. with homophobia what it was at the time, if that happened where I went to school, a group of frat-boy/athletes would have gone in there and beat the living crap out of those voyeurs. I recall, while in college, a kid on our floor got caught whacking it to a playboy mag and was hounded until he moved away (like every other guy wasn't doing the same). If you were gay, enjoyed watching naked men, you didn't let anyone know. If you did, you didn't last very long. Its not the way it should have been but its the way it was.

This just doesn't pass the smell test to me.

Reactions: roswelllion
but if two adult tOSU athletes want to have sex that is there business.

But that's not the implication made from posted materials.

From a reading of what's available to date, OSU athletes were complaining of non-athletics faculty & staff, and I guess just anyone...coming into the athletics area and violating their privacy. Coaches complained to Administration about this situation.

Would this be okay in the women's athletics locker rooms and saunas? So why would it be okay for the men's athletics?

Consenting adults can find plenty of other ways to conduct sex in private on a college campus.

Folks, let's stick to the facts at hand and not go off on political rants. Yes it's unavoidable that there is some political dimension to this discussion as one of the parties is a politician. But we don't have to start ranting at each other about political views not associated with this specific case. IF you want to do that--have at it. But on the Test Board, please.

From a reading of what's available to date, OSU athletes were complaining of non-athletics faculty & staff, and I guess just anyone...coming into the athletics area and violating their privacy. Coaches complained to Administration about this situation.

Would this be okay in the women's athletics locker rooms and saunas? So why would it be okay for the men's athletics?

Consenting adults can find plenty of other ways to conduct sex in private on a college campus.

totally agree....can you tell me what laws, that were on the books in Ohio in the 1980s, that were broken?

Wendy: It was an open facility in those days. This was the main phys ed building for the entire university. There really wasn't that much in the way of separate facilities (excepting different men's and women's locker rooms)--and this was true of most schools. There was a time when Rec Hall was all there was at PSU. About all there was that was separate was a gym would be set aside for the equipment needed for a sport--so there was a gymnastics gym--and it was small.

Mind you, after all the stories that are coming out about Larkins Hall now, I'm quite thankful I never needed to shower there or use the locker rooms.

Wendy: It was an open facility in those days. This was the main phys ed building for the entire university. There really wasn't that much in the way of separate facilities (excepting different men's and women's locker rooms)--and this was true of most schools. There was a time when Rec Hall was all there was at PSU. About all there was that was separate was a gym would be set aside for the equipment needed for a sport--so there was a gymnastics gym--and it was small.

Mind you, after all the stories that are coming out about Larkins Hall now, I'm quite thankful I never needed to shower there or use the locker rooms.
"Open" at OSU means beating your meat in front of the wrestlers? It may not have been exclusive to the wrestlers, but that does not mean every facility open to the public is anything goes. Do people in Ohio commonly have sex at public pools? Restaurants? Barbershops? Wtf does open mean, as you are using it? Sidewalks are open public areas, but loping the mule on a public sidewalk is a friggin crime, bro.

What are you saying?

Reactions: Ski
you missed one....the victims at PSU and MSU were minors, the one's at tOSU consenting adults. I don't necessarily agree with it, but if two adult tOSU athletes want to have sex that is there business. That might not be "the norm", but that is "the law". If you suggest that kids should be outlawed from having sex while in college, good luck with that.
how do you know they were all over 18? many freshmen are 17. also there are summer wrestling camps

of course, I wasn't there, but I personally find that hard to believe. with homophobia what it was at the time, if that happened where I went to school, a group of frat-boy/athletes would have gone in there and beat the living crap out of those voyeurs. I recall, while in college, a kid on our floor got caught whacking it to a playboy mag and was hounded until he moved away (like every other guy wasn't doing the same). If you were gay, enjoyed watching naked men, you didn't let anyone know. If you did, you didn't last very long. Its not the way it should have been but its the way it was.

This just doesn't pass the smell test to me.

Except Russ Hellickson has already gone on the record as saying that that was the atmosphere in that building and he complained numerous times to the administration.

http://www.morningjournal.com/gener...e-creepy-people-lewd-atmosphere-at-ohio-state

And If Hellickson knew and what went on was an open secret, how is it possible Jim Jordan is apparently the only person that didn’t know.

"Open" at OSU means beating your meat in front of the wrestlers? It may not have been exclusive to the wrestlers, but that does not mean every facility open to the public is anything goes. Do people in Ohio commonly have sex at public pools? Restaurants? Barbershops? Wtf does open mean, as you are using it? Sidewalks are open public areas, but loping the mule on a public sidewalk is a friggin crime, bro.

What are you saying?
I'm not at all justifying what folks did there. I'm glad I had a private bath in my (graduate) dorm. However the comment I was replying to was

From a reading of what's available to date, OSU athletes were complaining of non-athletics faculty & staff, and I guess just anyone...coming into the athletics area and violating their privacy. Coaches complained to Administration about this situation.​

The point was that there was no "athletics" area. That's what an "open" facility means. Common then (including at PSU)--not common now. In fact the Dispatch had to explain this point in one of their articles on the topic.

It’s a shame the ncaa and delany already took harsh action against Tosu before waiting for the facts to come out.
I hope OSU is allowed back into the conference soon, we have a game scheduled for late Sept. that is sold out. We need to petition the NCAA and ask for a reconsideration of their rash actions w/o facts. Possibly they will be reinstated by wrestling season? Oh, the injustice of it all.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT