ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PSUnderground investigates secret societies at Penn State, butts head with PSU lawyers

Meanwhile, at Paterno Library:

6ZvJJ.jpg

Ooooo. And these groups are so nefarious.....or at least the underground wants us to think so.

They are not.

Perhaps the way a person is introduced could be different but I’m not sure what the writers exposure is really intended to accomplish other than possible jealousy of not being included.

Ooooo. And these groups are so nefarious.....or at least the underground wants us to think so.

They are not.

Perhaps the way a person is introduced could be different but I’m not sure what the writers exposure is really intended to accomplish other than possible jealousy of not being included.
They are so secret, I think your picture was in the yearbook on the Parmi Nous page!LOL

I was fortunate to be initiated into one of these societies as an undergrad at PSU.

I don't think there is anything nefarious going on.

Mostly just an opportunity to socialize with other people at PSU who were leaders of other large organizations on campus.

When I was involved no one ever tried to "fix" an election or anything.

I'm pretty sure you can go to any tailgate weekend look for the groups flags to be flying and walk up and have a beer with the group on any weekend.

Not much secrecy there.

Reactions: Bob78
This reads like the kind of creative writing that blew up in the face of rolling stone at uva.

...back in the 50's what you label "secret societies" were not secret at all...
...as I remember the ones that were around then were Blue Key, Androcles, Lions Paw, Skull and Bones and Parmi Nous...
...Blue Key was a Sophomore group, Androcles was a Junior group and the other three were comprised of only Seniors...at the time they were called "hat societies" and each group proudly wore a black soft felt hat that resembled a hat that Robin Hood wore in the movies at that time, with their particular groups' logo on the front...nothing secret about the membership whatsoever...
...they simply reflected one's service to Penn State and the student body... I was a member of Androcles and then Parmi Nous... there were also several women's hat societies at the time... one was named Cwens I believe...
...I am still in touch with members of Parmi Nous but Androcles has faded away over the years... oh, well...

...back in the 50's what you label "secret societies" were not secret at all...
...as I remember the ones that were around then were Blue Key, Androcles, Lions Paw, Skull and Bones and Parmi Nous...
...Blue Key was a Sophomore group, Androcles was a Junior group and the other three were comprised of only Seniors...at the time they were called "hat societies" and each group proudly wore a black soft felt hat that resembled a hat that Robin Hood wore in the movies at that time, with their particular groups' logo on the front...nothing secret about the membership whatsoever...
...they simply reflected one's service to Penn State and the student body... I was a member of Androcles and then Parmi Nous... there were also several women's hat societies at the time... one was named Cwens I believe...
...I am still in touch with members of Parmi Nous but Androcles has faded away over the years... oh, well...
What you say makes perfect sense. Don't doubt it a bit. But the hocus pocus about the library and the archives and access being shut down casts a pall over the whole thing.

The secrecy I think of is not total denial of the groups' existence, but some fuzziness regarding what they do and how much power they have.

Reactions: Phil's Rug
Do these groups have any separate, special entre` to the governance of the University? Did any of them have a specific position regarding the entire "move on" effort?

I am certainly aware that if my child is a student there, I have an interest in who is influencing the BOT to spend a gajillion dollars on settlements, hiring Louis Freeh to cast blame on the University while absolving others in the Sandusky matter, as well as whether to spend a ton of money on dorms and other capital projects. If they are influencing those things, then I would want to know more.

If all they are doing is making up secret names and engaging in self satisfaction at their coolness, I don't care.

Last edited:
Do these groups have any separate, special entre` to the governance of the University? Did any of them have a specific position regarding the entire "move on" effort?

I am certainly aware that if my child is a student there, I have an interest in who is influencing the BOT to spend a gajillion dollars on settlements, hiring Louis Freeh to cast blame on the University while absolving others in the Sandusky matter, as well as whether to spend a ton of money on dorms and other capital projects. If they are influencing those things, then I would want to know more.

If all they are doing is making up secret names and engaging in self satisfaction at their coolness, I don't care.
Ted Brown - one of the alum-elected Trustees - is a member of Parmi Nous -as was Coach Joe (Sue also a member)...This group has nothing to do with the BOT corruption. It might even be fair to say they are working to maintain PSU traditions, like "Success with Honor" that the corrupt BOT disregard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT