ADVERTISEMENT

According to Geiger, the "bad news" about the Allen hire is he's not sure about it??? (link)

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
Here's the article:

Giger: Pros and cons about the Allen hire

Here is the direct quote from the article:

The best I can come up with is two-fold:

Good news: I like the idea of the Allen hire, but ...

Bad news: I'm not at all convinced that he will be overly successful at Penn State.

Given that he hates PSU, how precisely is this "bad news"??? This guy is not only stupid, but deluded as the day is long that he thinks his ridiculous troll "opinion" constitutes "bad news" for any real PSU fan. LMAO, Good Lord this guy is the most unprofessional hack out there - who actually believes his biased troll "opinion" means a GD thing on this topic - beyond deluded.

Here's the article:

Giger: Pros and cons about the Allen hire

Here is the direct quote from the article:

Given that he hates PSU, how precisely is this "bad news"??? This guy is not only stupid, but deluded as the day is long that he thinks his ridiculous troll "opinion" constitutes "bad news" for any real PSU fan. LMAO, Good Lord this guy is the most unprofessional hack out there - who actually believes his biased troll "opinion" means a GD thing on this topic - beyond deluded.
GD?

I don't mind the article. I've not commented on the hire very much because I see it very much like Giger does here.

I also know 2 things:

1. Statistically speaking, it's going to be near impossible to replicate top 5 stats in every defensive category replacing 2 key edge rushers and our top 3 Corners.

2. Offensive improvement is vastly more important than even a 25% defensive drop off.

Eh, don’t read this guy a lot because his articles usually have a negative slant towards PSU. And are usually over dramatic - -
“I've been more wishy-washy over this move than pretty much any previous Penn State hire”. Seems to be pretty much consensus that it will be hard to match what Diaz did. And You can point out how poor Indiana’s defense was last year but he wasn’t DC. Not much new here…

Reactions: Yanks49
Give Tom a chance. Part of the greatness of the defense last year was as much the personnel as it was the coaching. We had great, aggressive players and Diaz knew what to do with them. Bravo. Tom will NOT have some of those players. Let's see what he does before judging him.
I’m not judging him at all. The Grinch Crusher, and a few others are already judging him.
Personally, I am OK with the hire (we were not replicating Manny Diaz with any of the availables) but not blown away by the hire. If Allen performs somewhere at a level between Pry and Diaz, and AK adds a bit of polish and sophistication to the offense, the floor for 2024 will be 2023’s reg season record with a likely playoff birth and the ceiling is completely dependent on Allar. AK must help Allar with his reads, which were ridiculously slow this season but improved later on.

Interested to see if he can stop UM from running the ball down our throats for the past 2 years. 2023 was bad enough; 2022 was a total embarrassment when we were totally whipped at the LOS. For some reason, we are no longer able to recruit run stuffing DT's.

Not sure about that but Cory Geiger is a synonym JO.
I have no idea how Franklin being able to hire a former Big 10 head coach as a coordinator could be interpreted as being a negative thing. If anything, it demonstrates the status of PSU’s program now.

I expect that Allen will be a very good defensive coordinator if PSU recruits similar talent like Diaz had at his disposal, and won’t be if they don’t. However, I’ll take my chances with him; he definitely knows the strengths and weaknesses not only of the other Big 10 teams, but also of PSU. Also, I thought that he did about as well as can be expected at IU, considering that his team had to play Michigan, OSU and PSU every season; despite his teams losing much more than they won, they usually were competitive until the overwhelming talent disparity took over, like in the OSU and PSU games this season.

Last edited:
Give Tom a chance. Part of the greatness of the defense last year was as much the personnel as it was the coaching. We had great, aggressive players and Diaz knew what to do with them. Bravo. Tom will NOT have some of those players. Let's see what he does before judging him.
Yup. Let's hope he doesn't let the team get run over by Michigan like Manny did 2 years in a row.

Reactions: mhlarch
It’s Christmas and I’m far too lazy to dig up really old posts. But I remember when Manny was hired there were quite a few posters proclaiming doom. He was fired at Texas mid season, Miami never reached their goals, etc, etc. Life in the BIG ain’t easy.

I don't mind the article. I've not commented on the hire very much because I see it very much like Giger does here.

I also know 2 things:

1. Statistically speaking, it's going to be near impossible to replicate top 5 stats in every defensive category replacing 2 key edge rushers and our top 3 Corners.

2. Offensive improvement is vastly more important than even a 25% defensive drop off.
Yep. The offense is where we need to grow.

With turnover this year Manny was not going to be Manny.

With turnover did you expect Manny to match Manny in 2024?

Why do coaches not have the same results every season?
That’s correct; just look at OSU’s offense in 2023 compared to 2022. While it still was good, there definitely was a decline with the loss of Stroud. The key is to put the returning talent in the best position to succeed and coach them up, which I definitely don’t believe that our offensive coordinator did this past season.

Reactions: Westcoast24
I have no idea how Franklin being able to hire a former Big 10 head coach as a coordinator could be interpreted as being a negative thing. If anything, it demonstrates the status of PSU’s program now.

I expect that Allen will be a very good defensive coordinator if PSU recruits similar talent like Diaz had at his disposal, and won’t be if they don’t. However, I’ll take my chances with him; he definitely knows the strengths and weaknesses not only of the other Big 10 teams, but also of PSU. Also, I thought that he did about as well as can be expected at IU, considering that his team had to play Michigan, OSU and PSU every season; despite his teams losing much more than they won, they usually were competitive until the overwhelming talent disparity took over, like in the OSU and PSU games this season.

He also was promoted to HC from DC at Indiana. He was also named the American Coaches Football Association (AFCA) and B1G "Coach of the Year" in 2020. So I'd say he knows a bit about coaching defense. LMAO.

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
I think he'll work fine. D next year might rely more heavily on LB play with Cartes, King and Rojas with Carter blitzing a lot more. Expect DL & secondary to be solid but not destroyers like this season. Think more aggressive Iowa as the style.

Reactions: 81b&w
Interested to see if he can stop UM from running the ball down our throats for the past 2 years. 2023 was bad enough; 2022 was a total embarrassment when we were totally whipped at the LOS. For some reason, we are no longer able to recruit run stuffing DT's.
Michigan's OL will be far less experienced in 2024. I doubt we will stuff them but if JJ goes pro and the OL is not the same a little more offense might put us over the top..... And unless we finish #1 and #2 in the conference we do not see Michigan in 2024.... We need to take out Ohio State and take care of business against the new teams on the schedule UCLA, USC and Washington. We also need to travel to Wisconsin and Minnesota neither of which are easy venues to win in. Let's just focus on beating Ole Miss. Next year will take care of itself. IMHO, Tom Allen may not be as good as Diaz but there is no doubt he is thrilled to be part of Nittany Nation and I expect him to make the most of it.

I think he'll work fine. D next year might rely more heavily on LB play with Cartes, King and Rojas with Carter blitzing a lot more. Expect DL & secondary to be solid but not destroyers like this season. Think more aggressive Iowa as the style.

Allen usually had really strong LB play. We have a good group returning with depth.

The big departure will be Allen disguising coverage. I doubt we see the all out aggression that hallmarked Diaz's units.

Giger comes across as narcissistic. How many times does he write "I" in the first part of the article?

He offers no new insightful analysis, basically rehashing everything we already know- such as Indiana doesn't have the talent PSU has, etc...

It would be an interesting study, perhaps for someone pursuing a journalism degree with a sports emphasis to review each of his articles over the past 18 years and determining what percentage of his opinions ended up being accurate over time. My estimate would be 50% - no better than a toss of a coin.

Joe emphasized for his players to make an impact in their community and society in general. Being wrong in your chosen profession roughly 50% of the time fails to meet that standard. If he were to perform some self introspection, he would realize that it's time to look for a new profession...

Perhaps PSU can devise a way to limit their involvement with him. Depriving him of any program related information would help to deprive him of the necessary "fuel" to propagate his writing. Ultimately his employers should realize that he is not contributing to the needs of their readers and take the appropriate action.

Giger comes across as narcissistic. How many times does he write "I" in the first part of the article?

He offers no new insightful analysis, basically rehashing everything we already know- such as Indiana doesn't have the talent PSU has, etc...

It would be an interesting study, perhaps for someone pursuing a journalism degree with a sports emphasis to review each of his articles over the past 18 years and determining what percentage of his opinions ended up being accurate over time. My estimate would be 50% - no better than a toss of a coin.

Joe emphasized for his players to make an impact in their community and society in general. Being wrong in your chosen profession roughly 50% of the time fails to meet that standard. If he were to perform some self introspection, he would realize that it's time to look for a new profession...

Perhaps PSU can devise a way to limit their involvement with him. Depriving him of any program related information would help to deprive him of the necessary "fuel" to propagate his writing. Ultimately his employers should realize that he is not contributing to the needs of their readers and take the appropriate action.
He appears on local Pittsburgh sports talk shows sometimes, usually to talk about Pirates prospects who play on Altoona. Whenever I’ve heard him talk about PSU, he just seems to be another PA media member who is at best cynical about PSU and at worst hostile towards it.

Like I’ve said before, I just don’t think that programs like Bama, UGA, OSU, etc., are covered as poorly by their state media as PSU is covered by a lot of the PA media. I don’t want the media that cover PSU to wear blue and white cheerleading skirts, but also don’t want them to be biased against it.

Let’s face it Tom will not be Manny and that will not help us next year not sold on us being a playoff team next year
Nobody should be "sold" on us being a playoff team next year. OL is a big question mark and have to replace a couple of DBs. Who knows who else will leave or arrive via portal? Then look at the schedule. UCLA, @ USC, @ WISC, OSU, and WASH. We have to win 3 of those 5 and avoid upsets.

Would you honestly say that both Michigan and Ohio State are 100% locks , especially if JJ leaves for Michigan? And OSU has untested QB?

Michigan's OL will be far less experienced in 2024. I doubt we will stuff them but if JJ goes pro and the OL is not the same a little more offense might put us over the top..... And unless we finish #1 and #2 in the conference we do not see Michigan in 2024.... We need to take out Ohio State and take care of business against the new teams on the schedule UCLA, USC and Washington. We also need to travel to Wisconsin and Minnesota neither of which are easy venues to win in. Let's just focus on beating Ole Miss. Next year will take care of itself. IMHO, Tom Allen may not be as good as Diaz but there is no doubt he is thrilled to be part of Nittany Nation and I expect him to make the most of it.
Once again, PSU is not playing UM in 2024.

Reactions: bdgan
Nobody should be "sold" on us being a playoff team next year. OL is a big question mark and have to replace a couple of DBs. Who knows who else will leave or arrive via portal? Then look at the schedule. UCLA, @ USC, @ WISC, OSU, and WASH. We have to win 3 of those 5 and avoid upsets.
Lol SOS

Maybe we should let him coach at least one game before throwing him under the bus. Just a thought.

Reactions: Ski
All teams are replacing players and most are replacing coaches in 2024 as well. Why do some of you weak minded individuals only acknowledge the potential negative impact that this has on PSU football and not that of other programs?

scUM is losing 4, and possibly 6, 5th year or Graduate transfer OL. But that doesn't matter, right? Losing players every year is a given in college football, always has been and always will be. Because of the portal teams rebuild more than reload like they did in the past.

I also read nonsense here that NIL will give west coast teams a greater advantage over PSU. I ask... more than a University that has and puts more CEOs out there than any other???

I acknowledge that PSU, like all other programs changes from year to year. Do I fear it? Am I obsessed with it? Hell, no. Do I forget that our DE room is loaded just because we are losing 2 great DEs? No!

Could there be some drop off from being the number 1 defense in the country next year... Yes.... Will that adversely affect the W/L record next year? Maybe/maybe not and none of us has a clue if it will or won't.

Watch the games next season and learn without a bunch of predetermined negative or positive guesses getting in your way. That way your experience will be full of surprises and fully appreciated by you. The 2024 glass is not half full or half empty. The status of the 2024 glass is a mystery that will become evident in 2024. Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Reactions: psu1969a
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT