ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Tarantino film

I give it a 7.5 out of ten. Saw my son four times on the porch at the Ranch. Didnt like the direction the Tate angle went at the end.
I’m not sure the ending could have worked any other way. We know from the beginning that history was going to play out at least a little differently than how it actually went down. As I said earlier, if you look at QT’s previous films the ending here was totally predictable. (Not that I didn’t realize as much until after the fact.)

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
In his world he saved her from the brutal
Murder why is that so bad. He did the same thing in bastards. The evil in people get crushed.

Love the waltz line in bastards for the director that is listed here for Italian movie by decaprio

Two stars from Rex Reed. Not a very good review.
Rex Reed can eat a bag of dicks!

Loved it. Loved the Clockwork Orange homage with the crazy nighttime drive at the beginning, the use of “Out of Time” by the Stones - one of my favorites, and I remember those crazy ice trays with the lever.

The killing scene was hilarious. ****ing hippies getting savaged by the dog and screaming like banshees

Last edited:
I read one review that they don’t do tate justice and it’s about two white men that are the heroes. I mean really. Did they want to see her killed all over again? Dear lord. That is why I never go to a movie based on what critics ever say.

Rex Reed can eat a bag of dicks!

Loved it. Loved the Clockwork Orange homage with the crazy nighttime drive at the beginning, the use of “Out of Time” by the Stones - one of my favorites, and I remember those crazy ice trays with the lever.

The killing scene was hilarious. ****ing hippies getting savaged by the dog and screaming like banshees

Without delving into SPOILER territory I'll add that I was a big fan of the ending and if you dig QT's version of 'alternative history' a al Inglorious Basterds, you'll get a massive kick out of this. Our theater (Alamo Drafthouse) was very much into the events of the ending and it was a ton of fun!

As for the rest of the movie, I'd probably put this at QT's 9th best film - right before Django Unchained. There is a lot to love, but the whole isn't as good as the sum of its parts. I think some of the issue is in QT casting a lot of 'his' regulars and they feel out of place in a lot of areas (Kurt Russell sounded and looked old, Bruce Dern - same), and as a result they couldn't carry a lot of the dialogue he wrote (which to be fair, wasn't as good as in many previous films). His best stuff was the 'movie within a movie' with DiCaprio (who is a standout here) and Timothy Olyphant, noting Brad Pitt's storyline was nearly as good (the fact that they never revisit the scene on the boat is infuriating!!). When he and DiCaprio settle in for a Friday night of drinking and pizza and watching FBI, their 'MST3K' act is hilarious!

I also loved the stuff with Pitt/Booth and Bruce Lee and especially his visit to the Manson commune at Spahn Ranch. A whole movie of that would have been amazing to watch. I thought the actress who played 'Pussycat' was a standout here (Margaret Qualley). Lots of suspense in the entire sequence and Pitt sort of being so Alpha nothing they did mattered was fun to watch.

Margot Robbie was great, but there wasn't much to her role. She looked great and handled her script with ease, but she could have had a juicier part - really squandered her talents on looking awesome and showing off her dirty feet. Which brings me to...

This is QT's most indulgent movie to date - I mean, a movie about movies - so he digs into all the things he really loves - spaghetti westerns, the 60's, WW2 flicks, stuntmen, etc. AND FEET. At one point I was like, "Hmm - maybe QT cooled it on the women's feet stuff," and then it was was all over when Robbie perched her shoeless toes on the back of the movie chair in front of her as she watched her performance in 'The Wrecking Crew'. From there, they were everywhere. Here is a shot of Pussycat from the film...

1558453097341.png

QT is one of my favorite movie makers and even though this wasn't quite as good as my lofty expectations, there was a lot here for me to enjoy. I would like to see him return to something a little more restrained in the future, but since he's a kid who grew up in LA in the 60's - 70's, this is sort of his love letter to LA. The ending will be divisive, but I LOVED it. Was a bit sad to think of what might have been given how things played out in the movies, but in real life we know the brutal truth.

And special shout out to Pitt's dog in the film (Brandy). Awesome!!!

Without delving into SPOILER territory I'll add that I was a big fan of the ending and if you dig QT's version of 'alternative history' a al Inglorious Basterds, you'll get a massive kick out of this. Our theater (Alamo Drafthouse) was very much into the events of the ending and it was a ton of fun!

As for the rest of the movie, I'd probably put this at QT's 9th best film - right before Django Unchained. There is a lot to love, but the whole isn't as good as the sum of its parts. I think some of the issue is in QT casting a lot of 'his' regulars and they feel out of place in a lot of areas (Kurt Russell sounded and looked old, Bruce Dern - same), and as a result they couldn't carry a lot of the dialogue he wrote (which to be fair, wasn't as good as in many previous films). His best stuff was the 'movie within a movie' with DiCaprio (who is a standout here) and Timothy Olyphant, noting Brad Pitt's storyline was nearly as good (the fact that they never revisit the scene on the boat is infuriating!!). When he and DiCaprio settle in for a Friday night of drinking and pizza and watching FBI, their 'MST3K' act is hilarious!

I also loved the stuff with Pitt/Booth and Bruce Lee and especially his visit to the Manson commune at Spahn Ranch. A whole movie of that would have been amazing to watch. I thought the actress who played 'Pussycat' was a standout here (Margaret Qualley). Lots of suspense in the entire sequence and Pitt sort of being so Alpha nothing they did mattered was fun to watch.

Margot Robbie was great, but there wasn't much to her role. She looked great and handled her script with ease, but she could have had a juicier part - really squandered her talents on looking awesome and showing off her dirty feet. Which brings me to...

This is QT's most indulgent movie to date - I mean, a movie about movies - so he digs into all the things he really loves - spaghetti westerns, the 60's, WW2 flicks, stuntmen, etc. AND FEET. At one point I was like, "Hmm - maybe QT cooled it on the women's feet stuff," and then it was was all over when Robbie perched her shoeless toes on the back of the movie chair in front of her as she watched her performance in 'The Wrecking Crew'. From there, they were everywhere. Here is a shot of Pussycat from the film...

1558453097341.png

QT is one of my favorite movie makers and even though this wasn't quite as good as my lofty expectations, there was a lot here for me to enjoy. I would like to see him return to something a little more restrained in the future, but since he's a kid who grew up in LA in the 60's - 70's, this is sort of his love letter to LA. The ending will be divisive, but I LOVED it. Was a bit sad to think of what might have been given how things played out in the movies, but in real life we know the brutal truth.

And special shout out to Pitt's dog in the film (Brandy). Awesome!!!
The dog food scenes were hilarious

What a snooze fest the movie was. Some funny lines and Pitt was good and it had a fine Ending. I took a 5 min nap in the middle..

Great part was the director of the Italian movie. Anyone catch that?

tumblr_lqb9unTIf01ql8i93o2_250.gif

Reactions: razpsu
Reservoir dogs clearly number 1 and the bastards.[/QUOTE]

Never understood how RD was ranked so highly by so many. Some great acting, but the Michael Madsen cop torture scene - set to "Stuck in the Middle" ruined it for me - sick, unnecessary and disgusting.

="Elwood Blues, post: 4236592, member: 2634"]Reservoir dogs clearly number 1 and the bastards.

Never understood how RD was ranked so highly by so many. Some great acting, but the Michael Madsen cop torture scene - set to "Stuck in the Middle" ruined it for me - sick, unnecessary and disgusting.

It's a brutal scene, but you never actually see Mr. Blonde do anything to the cop. It's implied for sure, and you see some of the result, but when he goes to cut off the ear it cuts away. That movie does that a couple times for key scenes and I think it was intentional - you never see the actual heist, and you never see what happens to Mr. Pink when he leaves at the end, and you never actually see Mr. Orange die. For me, the movie is held in high regard for the script, performances, and awesome soundtrack. It spawned tons and tons of imitators and put guys like Tim Roth on the map. And for QT, outside of Jackie Brown it's his cleanest, tightest movie. I also love Chris Penn (RIP).

Reservoir dogs clearly number 1 and the bastards.

Never understood how RD was ranked so highly by so many. Some great acting, but the Michael Madsen cop torture scene - set to "Stuck in the Middle" ruined it for me - sick, unnecessary and disgusting.[/QUOTE]

Disgusting and horrifying, yes. As for unnecessary, it’s the reason Mr. Orange shoots him, an important plot point.

I never knew the Tate/Polanski/Bruce Lee connection - weird! I gues Polanski believed Bruce Lee was the killer for some time...

Reactions: grinagrin
I thought it was a very good movie. Not great -- it dragged in the middle -- but good. I thought Pitt was Oscar-worthy, and the little details were perfection -- all the cars were perfect for the late '60s, all the restaurants were the darker, booth-dominated restaurants of the '60s, ashtrays and all, and the Playboy party with Michelle Phillips, Cass Elliot, and Steve McQueen couldn't have been cast any better. Damien Lewis (Axe on "Billions") was a better McQueen than the actual Steve McQueen.

The flashbacks to movies and TV shows that DiCaprio was acting in were excellent. Each of those scenes was a movie within a movie.

I thought the ending was pure Tarantino. Maybe this wasn't his best movie of all time, but it might be the best movie of 2019 so far.

I thought it was a very good movie. Not great -- it dragged in the middle -- but good. I thought Pitt was Oscar-worthy, and the little details were perfection -- all the cars were perfect for the late '60s, all the restaurants were the darker, booth-dominated restaurants of the '60s, ashtrays and all, and the Playboy party with Michelle Phillips, Cass Elliot, and Steve McQueen couldn't have been cast any better. Damien Lewis (Axe on "Billions") was a better McQueen than the actual Steve McQueen.

The flashbacks to movies and TV shows that DiCaprio was acting in were excellent. Each of those scenes was a movie within a movie.

I thought the ending was pure Tarantino. Maybe this wasn't his best movie of all time, but it might be the best movie of 2019 so far.

I went with my brother. He had no idea what actually happened to Sharon Tate - so, he went in having no clue as to the real events. Can you imagine? We just had this conversation and I can’t imagine how different our experiences with the movie were.

Reactions: BrucePa
I went with my brother. He had no idea what actually happened to Sharon Tate - so, he went in having no clue as to the real events. Can you imagine? We just had this conversation and I can’t imagine how different our experiences with the movie were.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. If you know the entirety of how the murders went down, you can’t help but think that Rick, his wife, and Cliff are meant to be stand ins for Steven Parent, the first to be killed.

Spoiler alert: The fact that the movie Linda Kasabian, who in reality was horrified by the murders and ended up being the main prosecution witness in the trials, drives off in the car leaving the other three Family members to fend for themselves is a dead giveaway that the tables are going to be turned.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. If you know the entirety of how the murders went down, you can’t help but think that Rick, his wife, and Cliff are meant to be stand ins for Steven Parent, the first to be killed.

Spoiler alert: The fact that the movie Linda Kasabian, who in reality was horrified by the murders and ended up being the main prosecution witness in the trials, drives off in the car leaving the other three Family members to fend for themselves is a dead giveaway that the tables are going to be turned.

Writing that ending must have been cathartic for QT - I mean, those 'hippies' get absolutely annihilated....

Man, the cars!! Pitt cruising around LA in his Kharmann Ghia beater was awesome....

tumblr_prxfqbFZJO1s535xbo4_540.gif

Reactions: NedFromYork
So who was the best character written or performed by an actor in qt movies. My vote Christopher waltz but I tell you aldo rain was pretty awesome as well. Ving rhaines is up there along with steve bushemi.

So who was the best character written or performed by an actor in qt movies. My vote Christopher waltz but I tell you aldo rain was pretty awesome as well. Ving rhaines is up there along with steve bushemi.
Tie between Robert Forster and Pam Grier.

Christopher Walken - Pulp Fiction
Leo - Django and Once Upon...
Buscemi - Reservoir Dogs
Uma - KB 1 & 2
Brühl, Kruger, Waltz, Fassbender - Basterds

Another piece of crap from a sicko.
Tarantino is a sadist and his movies and treatment of actresses prove it.
His movies trivialize gratuitous violence and even worse view it as humorous.
Until recently his films were produced by Harvey Weinstein, who he knew was raping women, and he has famously defended Roman Polanski by saying the 13 year old he raped was a "party girl" who was "asking for it".
Uma Thurman also described how she was in a serious automobile accident on the set of Kill Bill because Tarantino had insisted she perform her own driving stunts. She now has a permanently damaged neck and knees.
Making his movies he has choked Thurman and another actress and spit in their faces - no doubt for "artistic" reasons.
His latest portrays the murdered Tate as an airhead.
Look at the expression on his twisted face - the look of a sadist.

Until recently his films were produced by Harvey Weinstein, who he knew was raping women, and he has famously defended Roman Polanski by saying the 13 year old he raped was a "party girl" who was "asking for it".
Uma Thurman also described how she was in a serious automobile accident on the set of Kill Bill because Tarantino had insisted she perform her own driving stunts. She now has a permanently damaged neck and knees.
Making his movies he has choked Thurman and another actress and spit in their faces - no doubt for "artistic" reasons.
So-what are your true feelings?

Do you have sources for facts for that long list of accusations?

Did you make up your ID just to post that?

Did you make up your ID just to post that?

Would be shocked if he even watched the movie. That said, he's not completely wrong about QT. He did put Uma's life in jeopardy by having her drive, he did spit in her face (with her permission, for a scene in Kill Bill), and he did defend Polanski in 2003. He's since apologized, which is more than most folks take the time or effort to do.

I want to publicly apologize to Samantha Geimer for my cavalier remarks on The Howard Stern Show speculating about her and the crime that was committed against her. Fifteen years later, I realize how wrong I was. Ms. Geimer WAS raped by Roman Polanski. When Howard brought up Polanski, I incorrectly played devil’s advocate in the debate for the sake of being provocative. I didn’t take Ms. Geimer’s feelings into consideration and for that I am truly sorry.

So, Ms. Geimer, I was ignorant, and insensitive, and above all, incorrect.

I am sorry Samantha.

Quentin Tarantino

He and Uma must be mortal enemies though since they're talking about another Kill Bill movie and he cast her daughter Maya in his most recent movie.

Reactions: NJPSU and BBrown
Yes. Try google. Start with wikipedia. It's not that hard.
Google quotes itself: "Just because I have it, doesn't mean it's true!!!!'
Also, I read on Google that the earth is flat.

Now, if you said Wikipedia only, I'd 100% support you.

Would be shocked if he even watched the movie.

What he said about the portrayal of Tate in the movie proves he didn’t see it. What I saw in the movie was a beautiful, sensitive young woman just so happy about her life and her future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT