ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Tarantino film

Come on... really? How awesome is that. Credited role?

Yes, he is listed on the IMBd site and when I google his name and the movie, his pics and bio came up top on Google. It's a very small scene when either Pitt or DeCaprio visited the Spahn ranch. I have a cool pic, but I'm not sure when or If ever I can put it on social media.

Yes, he is listed on the IMBd site and when I google his name and the movie, his pics and bio came up top on Google. It's a very small scene when either Pitt or DeCaprio visited the Spahn ranch. I have a cool pic, but I'm not sure when or If ever I can put it on social media.
Dude that is so cool... you must be really proud. Tough business to break into for sure.

I thought “The Hateful Eight” was a piece of shit, just a bad movie. If he just focused on making a solid, coherent movie instead of a “Quentin Tarantino movie” that’d be nice.

I don't know that I'd go that far (especially since he was able to get Ennio Morricone to score the film), but it sort of fell apart in the third act. Until then, I loved the characters and 'locked room' mystery. I still like the movie and am fine with the ending, but it's not his best work. I'd also add the cinematography is unreal.

As for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, I've read that at least one longtime Hollywood executive said it was the best script he ever read (for whatever that's worth). I for one am looking forward to it. And for Justified fans, the actor playing Charles Manson should be familiar...

Damon Herriman as Dewey Crowe...

DlukgpdU4AAtiQL.jpg

And as Charles Manson...

tarantino-damon-herriman-charles-manson.jpg

Is he going to recreate the Tate-LaBianca murders? He’s either going to have Dewey Crowe play the Angel of Death, flitting in and out of scenes here and there, or he’s going to show us the bloody writing on the wall. If the second scenario is the one we get to see, then that’s an indication QT isn’t holding back.

Is he going to recreate the Tate-LaBianca murders in the film? He’s either going to have Dewey Crowe play the Angel of Death, flitting in and out of scenes here and there, or he’s going to show us the bloody writing on the wall. If the second scenario is the one we get to see, then that’s an indication QT isn’t going to be holding back.

Dunno. I heard the murders are sort of in the background and not really central to the story, but with Robbie having a big role as Sharon Tate, I'm not sure what to expect.

Dunno. I heard the murders are sort of in the background and not really central to the story, but with Robbie having a big role as Sharon Tate, I'm not sure what to expect.
Well, one requirement of an artist is to remain true to his vision. QT is QT. Me, I’d be content with being known as the director of “Jackie Brown.”

Last edited:
Is he going to recreate the Tate-LaBianca murders? He’s either going to have Dewey Crowe play the Angel of Death, flitting in and out of scenes here and there, or he’s going to show us the bloody writing on the wall. If the second scenario is the one we get to see, then that’s an indication QT isn’t holding back.

I dont think the whole Manson thing is a huge part of the movie, but I may be wrong. My son signed a NDA and was not allowed to discuss the movie. Not sure when that is up.

I thought “The Hateful Eight” was a piece of shit, just a bad movie. If he just focused on making a solid, coherent movie instead of a “Quentin Tarantino movie” that’d be nice.

Haven't seen that one.

I don't know that I'd go that far (especially since he was able to get Ennio Morricone to score the film), but it sort of fell apart in the third act. Until then, I loved the characters and 'locked room' mystery. I still like the movie and am fine with the ending, but it's not his best work. I'd also add the cinematography is unreal.

As for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, I've read that at least one longtime Hollywood executive said it was the best script he ever read (for whatever that's worth). I for one am looking forward to it. And for Justified fans, the actor playing Charles Manson should be familiar...

Damon Herriman as Dewey Crowe...

DlukgpdU4AAtiQL.jpg

And as Charles Manson...

tarantino-damon-herriman-charles-manson.jpg

JMO but I think Tarantino and Spike are 2 of the best at using music in their movies.
And yes I love the Cinematography in Inglorious Bastards, Django and Hateful Eight another thing that Spike and Quentin have
in common.

I dont think the whole Manson thing is a huge part of the movie, but I may be wrong. My son signed a NDA and was not allowed to discuss the movie. Not sure when that is up.

Geez not even to his dad? That just seems wrong.;)
I think its great that your son is in it.
May I ask how he got involved and is he doing other things?
I think its very cool.:cool:

Geez not even to his dad? That just seems wrong.;)
I think its great that your son is in it.
May I ask how he got involved and is he doing other things?
I think its very cool.:cool:

My son is 29. He really has limited training, and didn't get involved in acting until he graduated high school. He got an agent and he started getting parts in key scenes in films being made in Philly and NYC. Being honest, these were not speaking roles.

He went to Hollywood four years ago and did not know a soul. He has a LA based agent and gets 1-2 tryouts a month or so. He is good looking, 6'2" 170lbs with long blonde hair and usually has some type of facial hair. When they need someone with that Cali look, he gets a call. He gets 2-3 roles a month where they need an extra.

Most of his acting work is as an extra, supplemented by Lyft and Door Dash. Its very competitive and obviously it can be about who you know. Again, I dont want to embellish his skills, this was his highest profile movie to date.

He says he isnt interested in coming home. He likes So Cal, but I can tell LA is becoming a grind on him. He enjoys getting out of the City on visits to the Valley or San Diego.

You old heads will like this. He is good friends with Eddie Money and his family-kids. He has spent more than one Holiday at their house.

My son can be seen waving to Brad Pitt as he visits the Spahn Ranch in the opening of the latest trailer.

Funny. The trailer popped up over the weekend at a movie we were seeing. Turns out one of my fiancées good friends is in it as well. She dated Quentin for awhile and still works as a costume designer or something on most of his movies. She’s the makeup artist in the trailer. Told her she needs to get me a spot in his Star Trek movie as a wedding gift :).

Reactions: hlstone
It's weird. It's such a dull premise for a movie. Yet I'm sure it'll be awesome.

It's weird. It's such a dull premise for a movie. Yet I'm sure it'll be awesome.
Dull? It's the greatest premise ever. What's not there? Vietnam, drugs, murder, sex, the demise of the Hollywood studio system resulting in an influx of smartass, flamboyant youngsters into the film business. Same thing for the music business. (Terry Melcher.)

I'm a little anxious that QT will try to do too much and thus make a lesser movie than he could have. (The movie is 165 minutes.)

If he aimed for coherence, if he tried to do something big and sincere, he'd probably fail. He makes what he can make. I think the smirking, the constant irony and self-consciousness seems kind of immature. But they're almost all worth watching.

For me the test is how well do they age. "Pulp Fiction" is still hilarious.

Tarantino is like the Coen Brothers. Sometimes they drift over the line into self-conscious artiness, too much mugging into the camera. But just about everybody has a Coen Bros movie they enjoy watching every year (for me it's "Miller's Crossing")

Reactions: flash86
Dull? It's the greatest premise ever. What's not there? Vietnam, drugs, murder, sex, the demise of the Hollywood studio system resulting in an influx of smartass, flamboyant youngsters into the film business. Same thing for the music business. (Terry Melcher.)

I'm a little anxious that QT will try to do too much and thus make a lesser movie than he could have. (The movie is 165 minutes.)
One other thing I plan to keep my eye on: the depiction of Polanski and Sharon Tate. There is something to be said for respecting the memory of the dead, perhaps especially those who have been brutally taken from us, losing their opportunity to show that they'd grown up. (I was a real idiot, borderline jerk, in my younger days.)

I really didn't care for what I saw, in the trailer, of Margot Robbie playing ST. Over the top.

One other thing I plan to keep my eye on: the depiction of Polanski and Sharon Tate. There is something to be said for respecting the memory of the dead, perhaps especially those who have been brutally taken from us, losing their opportunity to show that they'd grown up. (I was a real idiot, borderline jerk, in my younger days.)

I really didn't care for what I saw, in the trailer, of Margot Robbie playing ST. Over the top.

I hear her role is much smaller than advertised. So much so QT took some heat for it at Cannes...

—————

The film, which revolves around Hollywood during the Manson Family era and the August 1969 murder of the actress Sharon Tate, who Robbie plays, runs 2 hours and 40 minutes. However, according to Vulture, the Oscar-winning actress “has relatively few lines of dialogue in the film… Robbie’s character is often pointedly silent in the film, even during some of her key scenes.”

The silence is pointed enough that New York Times reporter Farah Nayeri took a momentat a press conference to ask the actor and director about what “must have been a deliberate choice.” Tarantino was not having it, though. “I just reject your hypotheses,” he replied, and according to the reporter, “said no more.”

Robbie gave a more diplomatic and longer response, telling the reporter that, “I think the moments that I got onscreen gave an opportunity to honor Sharon and her lightness. I don’t think it was intended to delve deeper.”

I really liked QT's "Jackie Brown" but not so much "Hateful Eight." Still, I liked it better than I thought I would. This is one movie I will probably go see. Still haven't gotten to Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

Same with inglorious Bastards and Dango Unchained. His three best films were Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Jackie Brown. These has a restrained Tarantino-ness to them.

Reactions: LionJim
Same with inglorious Bastards and Dango Unchained. His three best films were Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Jackie Brown. These has a restrained Tarantino-ness to them.

Bastards is one of my top three QT films I think. Until the last and final act it's maybe his best written/acted movie ever. I get people don't like the alternate history ending with killing Hitler in the theatre, but the dialogue scenes are some of his best:

1. Landa/Farmer in farm house
2. Raine/Nazis (Bear Jew beat down)
3. Landa/Shoshanna (cafe scene)
4. Shoshanna/Zoeller (outside movie theater, cafe, final scenes)
5. Hicox/Churchill
6. Hicox/von Hammersmark/Hellstrom/Stiglitz
7. Raine/Landa negotiation scene

Not as big a fan of Django, but it had its moments - particularly when DiCaprio was on screen.

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Bastards is one of my top three QT films I think. Until the last and final act it's maybe his best written/acted movie ever. I get people don't like the alternate history ending with killing Hitler in the theatre, but the dialogue scenes are some of his best:

1. Landa/Farmer in farm house
2. Raine/Nazis (Bear Jew beat down)
3. Landa/Shoshanna (cafe scene)
4. Shoshanna/Zoeller (outside movie theater, cafe, final scenes)
5. Hicox/Churchill
6. Hicox/von Hammersmark/Hellstrom/Stiglitz

Not as big a fan of Django, but it had its moments - particularly when DiCaprio was on screen.

giphy.gif
I’ll grant you the farm house scene was pretty good, but was diminished by Tarantino going over the top. The rest of the movie was just one scene with over the top violence after the other. the surreal, almost cartoon like violence is off putting and takes away from his ability to create truly riveting dialogue. That’s just my opinion.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I’ll grant you the farm house scene was pretty good, but was diminished by Tarantino going over the top. The rest of the movie was just one scene with over the top violence after the other. the surreal, almost cartoon like violence is off putting and takes away from his ability to create truly riveting dialogue. That’s just my opinion.

Article in Variety ranking all of QT’s films - potential spoilers for Once Upon... Top three are:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Inglorious Basterds

https://variety.com/2019/film/opini...iction-once-upon-a-time-hollywood-1203274226/

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT