ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Need a new binge watch show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ao5884

Oct 1, 2019
recommendations? I like all genres. My last gave been SG Atlantis, Deadwood and Justified

I haven't been able to sustain interest levels recently. The last good binge watch I've had was season three of Ozark. The steve carell comedy and the space comedy Avenue Five have not caught my fancy.

My wife is hooked on Billions and loves it. I've been watching WW2 documentaries (the History Channel one last night was very disappointing).

Law and Order.

Still better than most of the crap on TV now.
good call. I have five episodes on DVR at all times. I have a hard time with "SVU" because of the graphic nature is, sometimes, exploitative. But the original L&O with Sam Waterstone and Epatha Merkerson is very entertaining and educational in many ways. I'd put it up in the top ten TV series of all times.

Try Endeavour British Young Police Detective in Oxford England makes his mark on Police Force (with keen insights driven by his classical education) by solving complex murders. Excellent supporting cast, several strong women and really good "bad" guys. Everything is not always what it seems!

If you haven't seen the Americans then I'm wondering if there are other prestige shows you haven't seen.

If you haven't seen:
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
The Wire
The Shield
True Detective (esp Seasons 1 and 3, but each season is stand alone)
Ozark
Curb Your Enthusiasm
VEEP

you should make those a priority.

Other "mainstream stuff" that is very good:
Silicon Valley
Barry
Eastbound and Down
Flight of the Conchords
Rescue Me
Louie
You're the Worst

More obscure things that I have enjoyed:

Dark (Netflix, 2 seasons, suspense/scifi drama)
End of the F**king World (Netflix, 2 seasons, dark comedy)
Sex Education (Netflix, 2 seasons(?), comedy)
F is for Family (Netflix, 4 seasons, animated comedy)
Master of None (Netflix, seasons, comedy)
Generation Kill (HBO, military drama)

Just finished Hell on Wheels, an AMC series on Netflix. Like Deadwood, it takes a few episodes to get into it, but then you're hooked. Story of the (sometimes brutal) competition between the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroad companies and all of the challenges each faced. Some really well developed fictional characters as well as real historical personas.

If you haven't seen the Americans then I'm wondering if there are other prestige shows you haven't seen.

If you haven't seen:
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
The Wire
The Shield
True Detective (esp Seasons 1 and 3, but each season is stand alone)
Ozark
Curb Your Enthusiasm
VEEP

you should make those a priority.

Other "mainstream stuff" that is very good:
Silicon Valley
Barry
Eastbound and Down
Flight of the Conchords
Rescue Me
Louie
You're the Worst

More obscure things that I have enjoyed:

Dark (Netflix, 2 seasons, suspense/scifi drama)
End of the F**king World (Netflix, 2 seasons, dark comedy)
Sex Education (Netflix, 2 seasons(?), comedy)
F is for Family (Netflix, 4 seasons, animated comedy)
Master of None (Netflix, seasons, comedy)
Generation Kill (HBO, military drama)
good list. I'd add seasons one and two of Jack Ryan. Sneaky Pete is pretty good as well.

good call. I have five episodes on DVR at all times. I have a hard time with "SVU" because of the graphic nature is, sometimes, exploitative. But the original L&O with Sam Waterstone and Epatha Merkerson is very entertaining and educational in many ways. I'd put it up in the top ten TV series of all times.
Agree

It's also extremely well written - the main characters are, for the most part, relatively intelligent and the drama (again for the most part) revolves around the crime itself. Some 2nd and 3rd level stories, like Olivia's desire to have children, or Anita's lawsuit against the NYPD played in the background but for the most part, it was just about the crime.

McCoy did have the hottest assitants though.....my personal fave...

89843_anjpgjpg660x0_q80_crop_scale_upscale.jpg

Reactions: Obliviax
Agree

It's also extremely well written - the main characters are, for the most part, relatively intelligent and the drama (again for the most part) revolves around the crime itself. Some 2nd and 3rd level stories, like Olivia's desire to have children, or Anita's lawsuit against the NYPD played in the background but for the most part, it was just about the crime.

McCoy did have the hottest assitants though.....my personal fave...

89843_anjpgjpg660x0_q80_crop_scale_upscale.jpg
Yep..I really like the legal edge cases. Waterstone's liberal use of the law to go after tangential characters is interesting. I also think it points to the relationships cops have with prosecutors which, in the current environment, is unhealthy. I'd love to have seen more on how police unions work but this is an area they didn't often address.

I binged Space Force, and I liked it. The critics didn't.

I just finished Ricky Gervais' After Life, and it was surprisingly good.

I'm all in on Billions. It's at a mid-season hiatus because of the pandemic, but it is addictive.

I'm all in on Billions. It's at a mid-season hiatus because of the pandemic, but it is addictive.
I love Steve Carell but just didn't feel it. Perhaps I was expecting too much. seemed like 40-year-old virgin becomes a General. After Life is good but sooooo much depression...just didn't need it. RG is really good and its a great message but so much of it is just a downer.

Reactions: BrucePa
For Netflix..>I just watched the two season of The Punisher. it was OK, season #1 is pretty good, season #2 was disappointing (but still watched it as it had some entertainment value if you liked season #1) as they had so many storylines to build off of from season #1 but for some reason just took a complete turn in the opposite direction. There are two seasons of Knightfall which is a show about Templar Knights and the crusades, again not bad. Just finished Marco Polo (again only two seasons before cancelled) and again not bad. All three of them aren't GOT type of must see, but if you are like me and running out of things to watch, all three of them are 10 episodes per season and two season worth so about 20 hours of viewing each.

I recommend Turn Washington Spies on Netflix (originally on AMC). Four seasons about Washington and his spy ring based generally on a true story set in Revolutionary War. I thought it was pretty good.

Picard on CBS all access is pretty good if you like SciFi. I thought Star Trek Discovery was horrible and didn't make it through Season #1.

Grant Miniseries on History Channel was beat to death but worth a watch as well as the Washington series that it mimicked. Both only 3 episodes but if you like history, is good TV.

If you like Science Fiction (assuming you do SG Atlantis), try The Expanse on Prime. 4 seasons to date with a 5th promised. First story arc was 2 and a half seasons, so get ready for a long first binge if you like it.

Late Edit: Also try Berlin Babylon on Netflix as long as you're OK with subtitles as it's in German. Details the rise of the Nazi party in 30's Berlin. 3 seasons so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Langmuir
I love Steve Carell but just didn't feel it. Perhaps I was expecting too much. seemed like 40-year-old virgin becomes a General. After Life is good but sooooo much depression...just didn't need it. RG is really good and its a great message but so much of it is just a downer.
Can't disagree with your observations.

I liked After Life because of how well Gervais pulled off the character. He was completely down and out, and kept himself going despite not wanting to. It was in this idyllic little British town, where the weather is always perfect and people walk everywhere. He somehow improves the lives of everyone he comes into contact with, including the post man and the sex worker. His treatment of the stories that the weekly newspaper covers is subtly hilarious, and the newspaper staff itself was a knockoff of "The Office." But I get your point about depression.

To me, Space Force was a parody of current events. We need a Space Force like we need chess force, and the plot and the characters rightfully poke fun at the concept.

The Witcher
Vikings
Dark Matter
Altered Carbon
Black Mirror
Star Trek Discovery
Raising Dion
Peaky Blinders
The Umbrella Academy
Any of the Narcos series
Breaking Bad

Reactions: mdking001
Can't disagree with your observations.

I liked After Life because of how well Gervais pulled off the character. He was completely down and out, and kept himself going despite not wanting to. It was in this idyllic little British town, where the weather is always perfect and people walk everywhere. He somehow improves the lives of everyone he comes into contact with, including the post man and the sex worker. His treatment of the stories that the weekly newspaper covers is subtly hilarious, and the newspaper staff itself was a knockoff of "The Office." But I get your point about depression.

To me, Space Force was a parody of current events. We need a Space Force like we need chess force, and the plot and the characters rightfully poke fun at the concept.

We need a Space Force. I'm sure people thought the same thing when the Air Force split off from the Army.

We need a Space Force. I'm sure people thought the same thing when the Air Force split off from the Army.
We are not fighting in the space domain. We dominate it. It is not a domain of warfare. We had everything covered in Space Command. A separate branch of the military is needless and wasteful.

We need a Cyber Force. We fight in the cyber domain every day.

Reactions: tgar and hlstone
Once you've watched arguably the best series ever (Bosch), check out:

Luther
The Valhalla Murders
Marcella
Blood
Cardinal
Broadchurch

Reactions: Strick73
Turn about Washington's spies during the American Revolution, is good.
Jamestown is pretty good.
Breaking Bad was so good i'm going to watch it all over again.
Ozark
John Adams
Billions

I needed a couple Depends while watching the second Space Force episode with the chimp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT