ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Need a new binge watch show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you like comedy:
Episodes
Red Oaks
Still Game (use subtitles because of the heavy accents and slang)

Season 2 was good, not sure why some feel that way..
I agree that Season 2 was good (as a I said above).

I think it was poorly received because it was SO different from Season 1. I don't think audiences are used to "series" like that because if they like a season and they get super invested in the characters then whatever the second season is will be compared and contrasted with Season 1.

If you’re into bonkers super-hero stuff I recommend DC’s Doom Patrol (HBO Max) and Netflix’s Umbrella Academy. The source material for both is some of the best, most creative storytelling in the medium. Doom Patrol S2 just launched and S2 for Umbrella Academy drops end of July.

latest

umbrella_academy.jpg

I agree that Season 2 was good (as a I said above).

I think it was poorly received because it was SO different from Season 1. I don't think audiences are used to "series" like that because if they like a season and they get super invested in the characters then whatever the second season is will be compared and contrasted with Season 1.

I think there are legit gripes about S2; I personally thought it was fine but also thought there were too many main characters, too many plot lines that went nowhere, and it was ultimately depressing as hell (the stuff with Colin Farrel’s cop and his son especially). Just brutal, non-redeeming storytelling. It was also jarring because S1 was all shot by Carey Fukunaga so everything seemed like parts of one long movie. S2 was a mix of directors and never found its footing visually IMO. The music was awesome though the story wasn’t compelling enough to rope people in like S1. The one shootout scene was amazing and the stuff they hinted at with the commune was good but ultimately they went with greedy government officials as the big bad? Meh.

I think there are legit gripes about S2; I personally thought it was fine but also thought there were too many main characters, too many plot lines that went nowhere, and it was ultimately depressing as hell (the stuff with Colin Farrel’s cop and his son especially). Just brutal, non-redeeming storytelling. It was also jarring because S1 was all shot by Carey Fukunaga so everything seemed like parts of one long movie. S2 was a mix of directors and never found its footing visually IMO. The music was awesome though the story wasn’t compelling enough to rope people in like S1. The one shootout scene was amazing and the stuff they hinted at with the commune was good but ultimately they went with greedy government officials as the big bad? Meh.
Agreed about the too many characters. Seasons 1 and 3 really focused on the two partners. Season two was more ensemble.

However, some of your other complaints could be said of season 1. People were convinced that there was some big cult (occult? supernatural?) component to it and while the involvement of politicians was dealt with a little bit, the "Yellow King" turned out to be one weirdo, effed up, incestuous redneck guy. Loved season 1, but they set up a lot of stuff that turned out not to be there.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Agreed about the too many characters. Seasons 1 and 3 really focused on the two partners. Season two was more ensemble.

However, some of your other complaints could be said of season 1. People were convinced that there was some big cult (occult? supernatural?) component to it and while the involvement of politicians was dealt with a little bit, the "Yellow King" turned out to be one weirdo, effed up, incestuous redneck guy. Loved season 1, but they set up a lot of stuff that turned out not to be there.

True - but the payoff was better in S1 and our heroes survived. The political part of S1 was hinted at but not totally dealt with - the powerful political family was protecting its own and are still out there.

True - but the payoff was better in S1 and our heroes survived. The political part of S1 was hinted at but not totally dealt with - the powerful political family was protecting its own and are still out there.

I watched s2 finale last night and had many of the same thoughts. Throughout the season many times I had to stop and do a google search on the characters, too many to keep track of. Also, ending was sad and a bit of a head scratcher. There were 100 different ways CF character could have gone other than driving into the woods. And no self-respecting mobster would ever allow himself to get boxed in like that when driving. I was taught at age 16 to always stop far enough behind the car in front so you can see their tires touch pavement specifically soo you are never boxed in.

Season was good, better than i was led to believe, but no where near as good as 1 and 3. In fact, I think s3 is one of the best single seasons of any drama I've ever watched.

I haven't seen anything in years that I love as much as Derry Girls. It's set in Northern Ireland during the early 90's, with "The Troubles" as a backdrop. In spite of the context, it's hilarious and remarkably well-written and acted. Only caveat is that you might want to watch the first few episodes with the captions on, the accents are really thick.

Two series, each with six half-hour episodes, which makes it a really easy binge.

Caution, f-bombs ahead. One of the characters has just seen the then-new "Pulp Fiction" for the first time and is enamored with "m-effer."

I haven't seen anything in years that I love as much as Derry Girls. It's set in Northern Ireland during the early 90's, with "The Troubles" as a backdrop. In spite of the context, it's hilarious and remarkably well-written and acted. Only caveat is that you might want to watch the first few episodes with the captions on, the accents are really thick.

Two series, each with six half-hour episodes, which makes it a really easy binge.

Caution, f-bombs ahead. One of the characters has just seen the then-new "Pulp Fiction" for the first time and is enamored with "m-effer."

Yeah, unique. It’s really quirky, though, and this might be a turnoff for some, not for me. I enjoyed it immensely.

Reactions: yeahtoasty
recommendations? I like all genres. My last gave been SG Atlantis, Deadwood and Justified
I have been really into “Lie to Me.” Great show. Watch a couple episodes, and you’ll either love it or hate it. Either way, if you watch close, you’ll understand why it was discontinued!!!!

I think I actually hyped Derry Girls way back when this thread began... funniest thing I've seen on TV in years. I have watched each episode twice... my favorite is episode with the escaped polar bear. I have relatives in Dublin and they tell me the Derry accent is noticeably different and unique from all other Irish accents.

I just got a new iPhone and received a free year of Apple TV+ with it. I checked out the offerings and started watching a show called “For All Mankind”. Its premise is somewhat interesting: what would have happened had the Soviet Union beaten the US to the moon. I’m only a few episodes in, but so far it’s kept my attention.

If you’re into bonkers super-hero stuff I recommend DC’s Doom Patrol (HBO Max) and Netflix’s Umbrella Academy. The source material for both is some of the best, most creative storytelling in the medium. Doom Patrol S2 just launched and S2 for Umbrella Academy drops end of July.

latest

umbrella_academy.jpg

The second season of Umbrella Academy should drop very soon.
I hope its not like all the other Netflix and other Season 2's in that its just not very good.

I started watching one called "The Order" (think witches and warlocks at college) and I liked the first season a lot but this second one is not very good.

I only watched the first half of show one and may go back. I was expecting something along the lines of "Grant" so I may have had unrealistic expectations. If you've ever watched WW2 in Color or any of the multi-part series on this you pretty much know it all. The only context I learned was that they were defensive of Neville Chamberlain. They said that he had no choice but to sign with Germany and hope for the best as the army was hopelessly unprepared for a war. Hitler knew this and GB had zero negotiating power. Other than that, it was a fairly high level and rudimentary if you know anything at all about WW2. Perhaps they were setting the groundwork and it gets better later on.
I must say this totally agree with your assessment Obliviax. A few nuggets in this mini-series - but no where near the level of Grant. Still watched though...better than most garbage on TV nowadays!

Reactions: Obliviax
Ozark's final season will be 14 episodes that they'll string out over two seasons.

The second season of Umbrella Academy should drop very soon.
I hope its not like all the other Netflix and other Season 2's in that its just not very good.

I started watching one called "The Order" (think witches and warlocks at college) and I liked the first season a lot but this second one is not very good.
July 31st, to be specific. Looking forward to it.

Apparently in the comics they have never revealed what caused Number Six's death, that's one mystery I'd really be interested in seeing resolved in the tv series.

Reactions: BBrown
Just finished Season 3 of the Expanse on Amazon Prime. Decent show. not great, but held my attention enough to keep watching. The main character Holden is not a very good actor, reminds me of a Keanu Reeves with the facial expressions and mannerisms but without the same charm as Keanu. The two best characters are the pilot and the Amos. the British accented girl is a decent actress although I think her character is too wimpy, always whining.

Just finished Season 3 of the Expanse on Amazon Prime. Decent show. not great, but held my attention enough to keep watching. The main character Holden is not a very good actor, reminds me of a Keanu Reeves with the facial expressions and mannerisms but without the same charm as Keanu. The two best characters are the pilot and the Amos. the British accented girl is a decent actress although I think her character is too wimpy, always whining.

My favorites were Amos and Bobbie Draper.

Started watching the Worricker Trilogy on Amazon. Watched the first two but I don't see the third one available. I always really liked Bill Nighy so I thought I would give it a try. It was slow but jam packed with great actors.

Netflix. dark.

Awesome.

Next on my list after Doom Patrol...

There was a pretty good show on a few years ago about a small mountain town in France where dead people started coming back to life (not as zombies - just reappeared as if they never died...). I think there was a US version but not sure how good it was. I watched the first few episodes and remember liking it - did anyone see it? It was called 'The Returned'. Another really good show from a few years ago is 'Top of the Lake' starring Elisabeth Moss. The Returned is available on Amazon Prime and 'Top of the Lake' is available on Hulu. Part of the appeal for both is that they are set in places you don't see often - small town France and New Zealand.

MV5BMjEwOTExNDY5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzMzOTU5MTE@._V1_UY1200_CR113,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

7f8101b590ded8ebe6aadd94fd00e3ca_300x442.jpg

Can someone tell me about The Witcher. Tried watching first couple of episodes and was just so bad. I wanted to like it but couldn’t, does it get better or just not a very good show?

Next on my list after Doom Patrol...

There was a pretty good show on a few years ago about a small mountain town in France where dead people started coming back to life (not as zombies - just reappeared as if they never died...). I think there was a US version but not sure how good it was. I watched the first few episodes and remember liking it - did anyone see it? It was called 'The Returned'. Another really good show from a few years ago is 'Top of the Lake' starring Elisabeth Moss. The Returned is available on Amazon Prime and 'Top of the Lake' is available on Hulu. Part of the appeal for both is that they are set in places you don't see often - small town France and New Zealand.

MV5BMjEwOTExNDY5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzMzOTU5MTE@._V1_UY1200_CR113,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

7f8101b590ded8ebe6aadd94fd00e3ca_300x442.jpg
Speaking of cartoons, why haven’t they done a remake of the “Legion of Doom”? Would love to see Solomon Grundy, Brainiac and crew

Is anyone watching Trackers and Hightown? Both are pretty good. Trackers (cinemax) is a homeland security show set in south Africa. Some subtitles. Hightown (starz) is a cop's and drug ring show set in cape cod.

Can someone tell me about The Witcher. Tried watching first couple of episodes and was just so bad. I wanted to like it but couldn’t, does it get better or just not a very good show?
It's not amazing, but it is pretty well done and has some funny moments.

If you don't like that genre (GoT-ish) you won't like it. Most people know it from the video game series, but it was originally a set of short stories. The world building is pretty well constructed and I like that they don't spend a lot of time explaining every little thing.

I'd say it gets better once the bard (Jaskier?) gets introduced. He provides some amusing comic relief.

If not mentioned, Dark on Netflix. It is German sci-fi drama which has moved into my top 5 series of all time. 3rd and final season just launched. It has one of the most complex, mysterious and profound story lines ever captured on small screen. Acting is top notch. If you can handle subtitles, don't use English dub. It is much better without it. Seriously, it is awesome. Some people dumped it early as a 'German Stranger things'. It blows Stranger things doors off. You have no idea how far and deep it travels until 4th episode or so.

latest

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT