ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Medical Marijuana users?

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
I am considering getting a referral to a physician for the purposes of getting prescription in order to alleviate back pain, anxiety, and to help as a sleep aid. I’m not looking to take anything for what would be described as recreational use as that’s just not my thing. I’d be interested in getting some serious advice from others on this all knowing board who may be taking it. What is the process? What is the cost? How effective is it for pain relief, helping to sleep, and reducing anxiety? How much do you take and how often? Are there any side effects or negatives associated with taking it? People seem to be touting it as a miracle drug. Is it? Thanks

Reactions: diontechristmas
I am considering getting a referral to a physician for the purposes of getting prescription in order to alleviate back pain, anxiety, and to help as a sleep aid. I’m not looking to take anything for what would be described as recreational use as that’s just not my thing. I’d be interested in getting some serious advice from others on this all knowing board who may be taking it. What is the process? What is the cost? How effective is it for pain relief, helping to sleep, and reducing anxiety? How much do you take and how often? Are there any side effects or negatives associated with taking it? People seem to be touting it as a miracle drug. Is it? Thanks
Cheech and Chong swear by it! Sorry Nit, could not resist .Good luck! I know what back pain feels like believe me

• Haha
Reactions: Global Fan
Start with this site....

Getting Medical Marijuana​

Pennsylvania’s medical marijuana program provides access to medical marijuana for patients with specific medical conditions. This guide walks you through the process of getting medical marijuana.
In this guide

Start with this site....

Getting Medical Marijuana​

Pennsylvania’s medical marijuana program provides access to medical marijuana for patients with specific medical conditions. This guide walks you through the process of getting medical marijuana.
In this guide
Thanks, that is useful. I had my chemo this morning and my infusion nurse was telling me that they refer to a particular Dr nearby. She said many of her patients seem to have good results but all this is new to me.

In most places getting a prescription is a joke. Just pay for a Dr. visit. I have a friend that was recommended to get a script from a therapist (anxiety). What they found was the dispensary was not helpful at all with advice. The bulk of their customers just wanted recreational pot. They eventually gave up due to not wanting to be "high."

If it is truly to be a therapeutic there should be measures in place to help the patients that aren't just looking for recreational legal use.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Thanks, that is useful. I had my chemo this morning and my infusion nurse was telling me that they refer to a particular Dr nearby. She said many of her patients seem to have good results but all this is new to me.
Your welcome...new to me also.

Another Q-A link:

Initial doctor visits are $199, plus a small state fee of $50 once you qualify. Every year you need to return to Compassionate Certification Centers to obtain a re-certification for a new card. Insurance does not cover the cost of the visit in any of the 30 or more legalized states.
If additional assistance is required to cover the cost of the medication or to obtain medical records and follow up visits are required we are able to bill insurance for non-medical marijuana related office visits or for the certification. We have a program to assist patients who have low income through our non profit. We are here to help patients receive this much needed medication and our goal is to help you if you qualify for the Pennsylvania medical marijuana card through the PA Department of Health Program. We are here to help you throughout the entire process!

Reactions: dicoh

My other half has her med card here in Florida. She just had it renewed believe it was $150 for the appointment. She has bad tightening of the spinal column and choices were pain killers/opoids or med card. Opoids make her loopy and she really didn't like the feel of them and felt how easy the addiction could be to them... Got her med card and is much happier. She went to the website for med cards where it lists doctors approved to issue the card and made an appointment. She sleeps much better now and if she has been doing a lot of physical work around the house feels much better after using that. She uses the pen if her back is killing her pain wise for instant relief or gummies that take about an hour to kick in if she is not in a lot of pain but knows she will be soon.... She has tried it all from chocolate, cookies, pen, gummies and it works much better for her than pain killers. They track how often/amounts you buy to guard against addiction and dealing. No real side effects only thing is if you are drug tested for work you need to have an understanding employer as it could be an issue. She only uses it in the evening when needed if she is in pain. She is so much happier overall than with the pain killers.

Your welcome...new to me also.

Another Q-A link:

Initial doctor visits are $199, plus a small state fee of $50 once you qualify. Every year you need to return to Compassionate Certification Centers to obtain a re-certification for a new card. Insurance does not cover the cost of the visit in any of the 30 or more legalized states.
If additional assistance is required to cover the cost of the medication or to obtain medical records and follow up visits are required we are able to bill insurance for non-medical marijuana related office visits or for the certification. We have a program to assist patients who have low income through our non profit. We are here to help patients receive this much needed medication and our goal is to help you if you qualify for the Pennsylvania medical marijuana card through the PA Department of Health Program. We are here to help you throughout the entire process!
Good lord. It is easier to buy from the local hippie than go through that BS.

In most places getting a prescription is a joke. Just pay for a Dr. visit. I have a friend that was recommended to get a script from a therapist (anxiety). What they found was the dispensary was not helpful at all with advice. The bulk of their customers just wanted recreational pot. They eventually gave up due to not wanting to be "high."

If it is truly to be a therapeutic there should be measures in place to help the patients that aren't just looking for recreational legal use.
Don't know much about the marijuana process in PA, only knowledge I have is from state sites.
Why would you need a prescription to purchase?

#5. You don’t need a prescription for medical cannabis but you do need a physician’s recommendation.
If you are an appropriate candidate for medical cannabis treatment, your physician can provide a medical cannabis recommendation that can be used in your state. Since medical cannabis is classified as a Schedule 1 drug, doctors don’t formally prescribe it; they recommend usage. A physician’s recommendation is needed to purchase the substance at a medical marijuana dispensary.

Don't know much about the marijuana process in PA, only knowledge I have is from state sites.
Why would you need a prescription to purchase?

#5. You don’t need a prescription for medical cannabis but you do need a physician’s recommendation.
If you are an appropriate candidate for medical cannabis treatment, your physician can provide a medical cannabis recommendation that can be used in your state. Since medical cannabis is classified as a Schedule 1 drug, doctors don’t formally prescribe it; they recommend usage. A physician’s recommendation is needed to purchase the substance at a medical marijuana dispensary.
Here in State College there are I believe two Dr.'s that you can go to. Meet once a year to renew. I was thinking my friend said the visit was $75. In and out in five minutes and then go stand in line at the old location of Otto's.

Reactions: step.eng69
Here in State College there are I believe two Dr.'s that you can go to. Meet once a year to renew. I was thinking my friend said the visit was $75. In and out in five minutes and then go stand in line at the old location of Otto's.
Correct, have to see an MJ physician for a yearly card renewal. Doctor $160 to $250 + $50 for the card. If ths State College guy is charging $75,
I should invistigate next time I visit my grand kids in the area.

Telemedicine. Answer 3 questions (the answers you should give are in bold). Then they call you the next day and you answer the same questions with the same answers. Takes 2 minutes. You get your card. It’s $200 and if you don’t qualify you get your money back (and you’re also an idiot).

Reactions: Nitwit
I would rather buy from a regulated source than a street dealer with god knows what in it
I'd rather buy from a personally known grower rather than going through the government rigmarole. We are (fortunately) on the path to full recreational legalization.

What are the costs for purchasing gummies or whatever from the dispensary? I suppose it varies based on the dosage and quantity.
Yes ... Believe each gummy has 10mg of THC in it... People I know take 1/2 or a 1/4 rarely take a whole one. Think there is about 10 in each canister that costs ~$35-40 ... There are dispensary's all over here now in FL and many other states. You should be able to find one close to your house, some people are very knowledgeable others not so much.

Reactions: kevin310
What are the costs for purchasing gummies or whatever from the dispensary? I suppose it varies based on the dosage and quantity.
She basically has learned by the amount of pain how much she will need... kinda experimenting. Idea was not to get stoned to the heavens but take the edge off the pain so she can sleep much more peacefully and not be in pain on her feet walking around but still function. And no she does not drive once she has taken anything but that is usually is in the evening and either I drive or we are in for the night.

I'll start by saying what I know is second hand because I haven't been around marijuana in a long time but you might consider CBD (Cannabidiol) oil. It is derived from the cannabis plant but without the THC which gives you the high. There are a variety of ways to take it but usually in is sublingual or in a topical cream. One advantage over smoking MJ is you don't have to worry about the smell or any damage to your lungs. Here in Colorado it is legal and you can buy CBD oil over the counter. Natural food markets sell it and you can even buy CBD based skin cream at Walgreen's.

A friend of mine is deathly afraid of flying so she uses the oil to reduce her anxiety before getting on a plane. The only problem is while it is legal in Colorado it is illegal under federal law. So she can take it before she gets on the plane but can't take it with her. The return flight she just has to have a couple glasses of wine and white-knuckle it.

I have a card to treat anxiety and pain from arthritis.

You will have no issue qualifying with your conditions, you just need to find a qualified physician. Cost is out of pocket for the appointments.

I vape in the evenings, about 90 minutes or so before bed. I can’t say that is stops the pain, but puts me in a relaxed state where my worries float away and nothing bothers me. I sleep very well now, which has always been a problem for me. The pharmacist at the dispensary will help with selecting products and delivery methods. There are dozens of options. Basically, you don’t have to get super high to see benefits as it is all about the dosing and product. You start slow, and find your groove as far as what works best for you.

Once you get the card, it’s not very expensive. My vape cartridges cost $50 and last me about 3-4 weeks. Good luck, and I hope you find the relief you are looking for.

I have a card to treat anxiety and pain from arthritis.

You will have no issue qualifying with your conditions, you just need to find a qualified physician. Cost is out of pocket for the appointments.

I vape in the evenings, about 90 minutes or so before bed. I can’t say that is stops the pain, but puts me in a relaxed state where my worries float away and nothing bothers me. I sleep very well now, which has always been a problem for me. The pharmacist at the dispensary will help with selecting products and delivery methods. There are dozens of options. Basically, you don’t have to get super high to see benefits as it is all about the dosing and product. You start slow, and find your groove as far as what works best for you.

Once you get the card, it’s not very expensive. My vape cartridges cost $50 and last me about 3-4 weeks. Good luck, and I hope you find the relief you are looking for.
Sounds like you do things similar to my other half. Took her a little bit to find her groove and amounts but now its like clockwork. It's amazing the choices.... chocolates, cookies, gummies, vape, and all types of cannibas to help specific issues. I was amazed the first time I went into the store.

Reactions: diontechristmas
I would rather buy from a regulated source than a street dealer with god knows what in it
This can't be stressed enough. They lace MJ with anything to include fentanyl which doesn't take much to kill you.

Also cartel operated growing fields in the US are littered with (1) empty containers of banned pesticides and herbicides smuggled across the border; and (2) dead deer, birds and rodents. This doesn't make for the safest high out there. You can't be careful enough in this area.

Haha, I’m not going cruising in my E class looking for street dealers. I’ve watched too many TV shows! And I don’t want to get high or take anything into my lungs. But the CBD oil, or another non THC form sound the most promising. Perhaps even the cream rubbed onto the back or knees. Jeesh, getting old is a bitch,

My other half has her med card here in Florida. She just had it renewed believe it was $150 for the appointment. She has bad tightening of the spinal column and choices were pain killers/opoids or med card. Opoids make her loopy and she really didn't like the feel of them and felt how easy the addiction could be to them... Got her med card and is much happier. She went to the website for med cards where it lists doctors approved to issue the card and made an appointment. She sleeps much better now and if she has been doing a lot of physical work around the house feels much better after using that. She uses the pen if her back is killing her pain wise for instant relief or gummies that take about an hour to kick in if she is not in a lot of pain but knows she will be soon.... She has tried it all from chocolate, cookies, pen, gummies and it works much better for her than pain killers. They track how often/amounts you buy to guard against addiction and dealing. No real side effects only thing is if you are drug tested for work you need to have an understanding employer as it could be an issue. She only uses it in the evening when needed if she is in pain. She is so much happier overall than with the pain killers.
Would CBD have done the same benefit without the hassle?

You can also get products with low THC. They are available in CA, and I assume they are in PA. They have gummies that have 5 parts CBD or CBN to one part THC. I don’t generally partake. I just don’t like how I feel when so get high. But I have taken the CBD/THC gummies to see if they help with sleep. From my limited experience they worked pretty well. I have friends who swear by marijuana for relief of all sorts of ailments from stomach issues to stress and anxiety to sleep. The good thing about regulated marijuana is that you know what you are getting and you know it has what is says it has. Before regulation you could get a brownie with virtually no THC or one with 5 times more than you wanted, and they would be from the same batch. Now you get the same product every time.

if you want to watch an interesting show about the marijuana community in Humboldt County CA, check out Murder Mountain on Netflix. Very interesting part of the world.

You can also get products with low THC. They are available in CA, and I assume they are in PA. They have gummies that have 5 parts CBD or CBN to one part THC. I don’t generally partake. I just don’t like how I feel when so get high. But I have taken the CBD/THC gummies to see if they help with sleep. From my limited experience they worked pretty well. I have friends who swear by marijuana for relief of all sorts of ailments from stomach issues to stress and anxiety to sleep. The good thing about regulated marijuana is that you know what you are getting and you know it has what is says it has. Before regulation you could get a brownie with virtually no THC or one with 5 times more than you wanted, and they would be from the same batch. Now you get the same product every time.

if you want to watch an interesting show about the marijuana community in Humboldt County CA, check out Murder Mountain on Netflix. Very interesting part of the world.
I also don't believe that PA does edibles yet. I think in PA you got to smoke it. Form I have been told the concentration thing is still somewhat of a problem with edibles.

I forgot to bring this into the conversation the other day. According to the Federal people, a medical marijuana card will also prohibit one from owning a firearm.

What's True
Under federal law it is illegal for a marijuana user to buy or possess a firearm, even if that user lives in a state which has legalized marijuana use.

What's False
It is not the case that states have been legalizing cannabis use and subsequently legislating to bar cannabis users from owning guns. Rather, a pre-existing and unchanging federal prohibition on controlled substances, including marijuana, prohibits the possession or purchase of firearms by anyone who uses those controlled substances, including marijuana.

Reactions: odshowtime
All this talk about medical marijuana sounds great, but I'm holding out for the medical cocaine. That's when the fun really begins.

Reactions: Ski and odshowtime
Still falls under the controlled substances that prohibits firearm ownership. I was thinking about getting a marijuana medical card, but not if this law puts my firearms in jeopardy.
The state’s medical marijuana database that has a record of all patients with their MM cards is not accessed for a gun ownership background check. Not saying anyone should pull a Hunter Biden, if he did indeed lie on the gun ownership form. But, if one did they would be able to obtain a MM card and not have anyone confiscate their firearms. However, that would be breaking federal law and to each their own for taking the risk.

The state’s medical marijuana database that has a record of all patients with their MM cards is not accessed for a gun ownership background check. Not saying anyone should pull a Hunter Biden, if he did indeed lie on the gun ownership form. But, if one did they would be able to obtain a MM card and not have anyone confiscate their firearms. However, that would be breaking federal law and to each their own for taking the risk.
In the process of applying for a MM card is there any language regarding owning firearms? No questions like, “Do you own a firearm?” No language like, “In signing this application for a medical marijuana card I acknowledge that federal law prohibits the ownership of firearms while said MM card is in effect?”

Still falls under the controlled substances that prohibits firearm ownership. I was thinking about getting a marijuana medical card, but not if this law puts my firearms in jeopardy.

That's why you get the GF to get the card. Then you can still have your guns. Win win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT