ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Medical Marijuana users?

One good thing about living in CA is that you can just walk into a licensed retailer off the street and get what you want. In fact, I'm often surprised that anyone bothers to smoke MJ out here. The health risks of smoking are well known and edibles are safe and give the same effect (or so I hear from friends).

One good thing about living in CA is that you can just walk into a licensed retailer off the street and get what you want. In fact, I'm often surprised that anyone bothers to smoke MJ out here. The health risks of smoking are well known and edibles are safe and give the same effect (or so I hear from friends).

My experience with edibles is that they take a good 1-2 hours to really kick in and the high is much different than smoking. Tend to get more of an overall body high off edibles. I do like both.....

In PA, no, there is no such language in the application process.
There are those questions on an app to buy a firearm. And lying or not answering correctly is a felony.

Don’t know how it works if you own weapons and then get a MM card. My guess is you must get rid of the weapons and getting caught with weapons while using MM is a felony. So if you have weapons, give them to someone outside your home for safe keeping. May require a receipt/bill of sale. Maybe background check on recipients.

What if you give up weapons, use MM for a period.....say during chemo......and then quit. How long before getting weapons back? How difficult is the process?

Reactions: LionJim and jjw165
Thanks. Interesting. I was asking on Step’s behalf. I would guess that the only times this would prove to be an issue would be when you somehow got yourself arrested.
Thanks Lion Jim..all of the revolves and long rifles I own are registered since the first time I bought a 357 SA Ruger in 1972. If I apply for a medical marijuana card, they will trace all of my hunting rifles & SA revolvers I own.
My father-in-law (Pop) was right, if you try to protect your family from intruders.... use a drop gun. Using a registered gun out side the house protecting the family will give you a prison sentence.

I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over owning a gun and getting a medical marijuana card. If they actually ever arrested someone for this, they'# take it to the Supreme Court and win easily. The conservative protecting gun rights and the liberals defending medical patients rights.

This is from an article on the subject.

Problems with Enforcement of Concealed Carry Gun Laws & Medical Cannabis

Even though the 1968 Gun Control Act’s language is relatively straightforward, enforcing it has proven to be virtually impossible with legalized cannabis becoming so popular. For instance, the Federal law states that gun owners cannot be allowed around people who consume or grow cannabis.

This aspect of the law was meant to create sentence-enhancing criminal charges for drug dealers carrying firearms. But with armed security guards placed in dispensaries to ensure safety, cannabis transportation happening throughout legalized states, and money transfers occurring from stores, many people are technically violating the law merely for working in the cannabis sector.

Officials operating in legalized states don’t always enforce these laws to protect the industry. Without the ability to safeguard dispensaries and other legal cannabis operations, it would be all too easy for criminals to take advantage of the situation as the ATF’s strict regulations and clear legal language aren’t deterring enough.

Reactions: jjw165
My father-in-law (Pop) was right, if you try to protect your family from intruders.... use a drop gun. Using a registered gun out side the house protecting the family will give you a prison sentence.
———————————————-
No, the federal government wouldn’t track your current ownership of fire arms back to you if you applied for a MM card unless you committed a crime where federal laws would be involved. Technically, it’s a felony under federal law. But, the PA medical marijuana program is a state program. The state of PA is not sharing their listing of medical marijuana patients with federal the government.

Last edited:
I'll start by saying what I know is second hand because I haven't been around marijuana in a long time but you might consider CBD (Cannabidiol) oil. It is derived from the cannabis plant but without the THC which gives you the high. There are a variety of ways to take it but usually in is sublingual or in a topical cream. One advantage over smoking MJ is you don't have to worry about the smell or any damage to your lungs. Here in Colorado it is legal and you can buy CBD oil over the counter. Natural food markets sell it and you can even buy CBD based skin cream at Walgreen's.

A friend of mine is deathly afraid of flying so she uses the oil to reduce her anxiety before getting on a plane. The only problem is while it is legal in Colorado it is illegal under federal law. So she can take it before she gets on the plane but can't take it with her. The return flight she just has to have a couple glasses of wine and white-knuckle it.
A significant amount of CBD will also destroy your liver. They don’t talk about that much.

The medical marijuana he will receive is dispensed in measured doses in pill form. They have versions to give you a little lift through the day, calm you down at night, ease pain etc. etc. As a MM card holder and experimenter I can tell you MM has evolved to where it is light years ahead of CBD in effectiveness without destroying vital organs.

At the State College dispensary you can get 5mg, 10mg capsules etc. etc. specifically formulated to help you with the therapy you are looking for. The pharmacist in staff is also very helpful and busy, you may have to wait during your first visit to have a brief conference to discuss what you should take.

The doctor I saw in State College tipped me off to the CBD conundrum and had me start with a mix of THC and CBD gradually increasing one while decreasing the other.

The OP should be able it sounds like to get some additional quality of life going the MM route. Me, I just rip a hit off a joint every now and again for pleasure as I don’t have any real reason to use MM daily. ( Again, when I got my card I just wanted to check out the process and see what the products were all about, in Oregon where one of my sons lives you can he get gummies and cookies galore that will send you to the moon if that is your goal )

The world would be a better place if most people walking Around breathing were on a chill pill with 10mg of Indica THC inside.

Regarding the ownership of guns and getting a MM card. This is somewhat urban legend and myth As well.

In the process of applying for a MM card is there any language regarding owning firearms? No questions like, “Do you own a firearm?” No language like, “In signing this application for a medical marijuana card I acknowledge that federal law prohibits the ownership of firearms while said MM card is in effect?”
No. There is not.

Reactions: LionJim
I would rather buy from a regulated source than a street dealer with god knows what in it
That is so true. The purity of regulated mj in Colorado without pesticides etc is also an advantage here. I have heard that some places in Pa. street mj has been laced with fentanyl in it.

Regarding the ownership of guns and getting a MM card. This is somewhat urban legend and myth As well.
If you want to comply with the law you are not to have a gun.

This is from the Pennsylvania State Police:

According to the U.S. DOJ, possession of a valid Medical Marijuana Card and/or the use of medical marijuana makes you an

"unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance"
who is prohibited by federal law from the purchase or acquisition, possession, or control of a firearm, according to 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(3) and 27 C.F.R. § 478.32(a)(3).

An Open Letter to all Federal Firearms LicenseesOpens In A New Window dated Sept. 21, 2011, states in part:

"[t]herefore, any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her State has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition."
The mere possession of a Medical Marijuana Card will give rise to an inference that you are an "unlawful user of or addicted to" a controlled substance, according to 27 C.F.R. § 478.11.

Therefore, it is also unlawful for you to apply for, possess, or renew a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearm (LTC) because you are:

"[a]n individual who is prohibited from possessing or acquiring a firearm under the statutes of the United States." (Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes Chapter 18, Section 6109(e)(1)(xiv).

It is quite clear that if you get a MM card and you have firearms you are in violation of the law.

Until the United States federally changes the classification of marijuana you are at risk if you do/have both.

https://www.atf.gov/file/60211/download

Reactions: odshowtime
If you want to comply with the law you are not to have a gun.

This is from the Pennsylvania State Police:

According to the U.S. DOJ, possession of a valid Medical Marijuana Card and/or the use of medical marijuana makes you an

who is prohibited by federal law from the purchase or acquisition, possession, or control of a firearm, according to 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(3) and 27 C.F.R. § 478.32(a)(3).

An Open Letter to all Federal Firearms LicenseesOpens In A New Window dated Sept. 21, 2011, states in part:

The mere possession of a Medical Marijuana Card will give rise to an inference that you are an "unlawful user of or addicted to" a controlled substance, according to 27 C.F.R. § 478.11.

Therefore, it is also unlawful for you to apply for, possess, or renew a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearm (LTC) because you are:

It is quite clear that if you get a MM card and you have firearms you are in violation of the law.

Until the United States federally changes the classification of marijuana you are at risk if you do/have both.

https://www.atf.gov/file/60211/download
Cool. Noted. You are way over thinking this but I acknowledge technically you are correct.

Get your card, seek your relief. Don’t have a loaded weapon under the drivers seat when you go to the dispensary.

It’s also illegal to drive a vehicle with marijuana inside yet that’s what everyone is doing when they leave the dispensary. I assume that will change with it being legalized. Who knows.

For arguments sake you are correct, from a practical standpoint it’s not an issue. I am not aware that it creates many if any situations where the two ( MM card and product along with weapons ) intertwine to get someone busted.

Tune in
Turn on
Drop out.

it’s a sunny Thursday here in Happy Valley. Get high and have fun.

Cool. Noted. You are way over thinking this but I acknowledge technically you are correct.

Get your card, seek your relief. Don’t have a loaded weapon under the drivers seat when you go to the dispensary.

It’s also illegal to drive a vehicle with marijuana inside yet that’s what everyone is doing when they leave the dispensary. I assume that will change with it being legalized. Who knows.

For arguments sake you are correct, from a practical standpoint it’s not an issue. I am not aware that it creates many if any situations where the two ( MM card and product along with weapons ) intertwine to get someone busted.

Tune in
Turn on
Drop out.

it’s a sunny Thursday here in Happy Valley. Get high and have fun.
In practice I agree. While technically in violation of federal law, if someone legally obtains firearms and then legally obtains a MM card, they have followed procedures. There is nothing on the PA MM application process that’s mentions gun ownership in any way. There is some plausible deniability here as it is possible to not be informed.

There seems to be very little case law on this issue, and few cases of prosecution in general. However, I can see folks getting popped for not being truthful on application forms. Do not lie or misrepresent anything on these forms, and it appears you will live at let live.

Reactions: tgar and LionJim
In practice I agree. While technically in violation of federal law, if someone legally obtains firearms and then legally obtains a MM card, they have followed procedures. There is nothing on the PA MM application process that’s mentions gun ownership in any way. There is some plausible deniability here as it is possible to not be informed.

There seems to be very little case law on this issue, and few cases of prosecution in general. However, I can see folks getting popped for not being truthful on application forms. Do not lie or misrepresent anything on these forms, and it appears you will live at let live.
It isn't on the MM side. It is on the fire arms side and the paper work you fill out to get the gun. Once you have the MM Card not only are you ineligible to purchase firearms and ammo but you are supposed to get rid of all firearms and ammo you previously owned.

Your mileage may vary but to be in compliance with Federal Law that is what should happen.

The high cost and rigamarole of medical marijuana in Pa. just helps the black market. On the other hand I'm glad they have the program and I know people who have really benefited.

BTW I think black-market weed is pretty safe. It's usually domestically grown - mostly on West Coast - and there's no financial reason to adulterate it. I would stay away from black-market vapes -- there have been problems with adulterated product. If you want to do edibles, professional grade is better because you should get a more consistently measured dose. It is VERY easy to overdose on edibles and have an unpleasant experience. Obviously won't kill you or harm your body, but too much pot can make your heart race and make you feel anxious -- not a good thing.

Growing at home is a good solution -- esp if you live in a state where that is legal. It's very easy to grow, you can order seeds from overseas suppliers, and you're not supporting the illegal drug industry.

Last edited:
Reactions: tgar and BBrown
It isn't on the MM side. It is on the fire arms side and the paper work you fill out to get the gun. Once you have the MM Card not only are you ineligible to purchase firearms and ammo but you are supposed to get rid of all firearms and ammo you previously owned.

Your mileage may vary but to be in compliance with Federal Law that is what should happen.
I get it. I don’t own guns and have no plans on owning any in the future. But there is significant “lack of enforcement” with those who previously owned legal firearms. I personally don’t and wouldn’t take the chance as I’m risk adverse in general, but many will.

Some comments from Wolf on the subject.

The high cost and rigamarole of medical marijuana in Pa. just helps the black market. On the other hand I'm glad they have the program and I know people who have really benefited.

BTW I think black-market weed is pretty safe. It's usually domestically grown - mostly on West Coast - and there's no financial reason to adulterate it. I would stay away from black-market vapes -- there have been problems with adulterated product. If you want to do edibles, professional grade is better because you should get a more consistently measured dose. It is VERY easy to overdose on edibles and have an unpleasant experience. Obviously won't kill you or harm your body, but too much pot can make your heart race and make you feel anxious -- not a good thing.

Growing at home is a good solution -- esp if you live in a state where that is legal. It's very easy to grow, you can order seeds from overseas suppliers, and you're not supporting the illegal drug industry.
I don't know about PA but MD is just as much as rigamarole and as expensive.
+1 about edibles.

Reactions: tgar
All this talk about medical marijuana sounds great, but I'm holding out for the medical cocaine. That's when the fun really begins.

I know it isn't what you meant but liquid cocaine is used as an anesthetic in eye procedures. The first serious job I worked had an ophthalmology division and the purchasing guy laughed about buying cocaine for it.

Only in regards to federal law which the state has no obligation to enforce. Look at the recently filed bill prohibiting state/local enforcement of any federal gun law passed after December 21, 2020, that restricts ownership in any way in Pennsylvania. I understand that doesn't make it OK but I doubt the feds will be looking for this one unless you are charged with something else. I suspect the feds will not want to have it litigated so they don't lose power and will just be used to coerce people into deals.

The state police website provides the facts based on federal law and is accurate. What the state police have not said is if they will refer to federal law enforcement or enforce federal law, neither of which they are required to do, if they discover you have firearms and a MM card. Wolf certainly could order the state police not to and the legislature could prohibit it, as well.

IMO, while PSP is one of the most professional forces out there, I wouldn't trust them with $20 for a trip to the six pack shop. This is the same agency that despite being explicitly prohibited from maintaining a registry of firearms owners created a de facto registry by recording who was run through PICS/NICS in a database and claiming it was a "diagnostic log."

Reactions: step.eng69

And what about armed guards at dispenceries? They are breaking the letter of the law.

And what about armed guards at dispenceries? They are breaking the letter of the law.
That's what I was thinking. Since MJ is illegal at the federal level banks, which are all federally regulated, won't touch them. At least that was the case a couple years ago and I don't think it has changed. This means dispensaries are a heavily cash business which makes them very vulnerable to robbery creating the need for armed security. If the feds wanted to go after people possessing MJ and guns I'd think they would go after the people running the businesses first.

Reactions: BBrown and jjw165
The armed guards are likely contracted through an armed security company. They do not possess the marijuana and their employer should be screening them to ensure eligibility to possess firearms. Then again, by that token all sworn law enforcement permitted to carry a firearm as part of their duties should also be screened and I'd bet that isn't anywhere near actually happening.

The armed guards are likely contracted through an armed security company. They do not possess the marijuana and their employer should be screening them to ensure eligibility to possess firearms. Then again, by that token all sworn law enforcement permitted to carry a firearm as part of their duties should also be screened and I'd bet that isn't anywhere near actually happening.
I think what you are mentioning is something that many don't understand about legalization. It doesn't mean your employer has to accept it. Many jobs you are subject to drug testing and do not become exempt because you have a card.

I think what you are mentioning is something that many don't understand about legalization. It doesn't mean your employer has to accept it. Many jobs you are subject to drug testing and do not become exempt because you have a card.
This is going to be interesting going forward and watch over the next 5 years.... My hunch is as it becomes legalized employers will treat it like alcohol. You don't come to work smelling like a gin mill and you don't come to work stoned. I expect employers to back off the drug testing or at least testing for marijuana. To me as an employer what's the difference if my employee is taking opoids or gummies for a painful back.

How do you order seeds from overseas suppliers?

A lot of posts talking about how to get a medical marijuana card but not many about how effective it is for back pain relief. Can anybody offer more info about this?

I have disc degeneration, stenosis, and sciatica along with arthritis in my hip. The doctor considers surgery a last resort. I'm functional for most day to day activities. I can walk a couple of miles before the pain gets too bad but bending over to trim under trees will cause pain for days. I play golf (poorly) twice a week but no way can I do it on back to back days. I've tried CBD oil & creams and they don't help. I've had spinal injections. They help about half the time but only last for a few weeks. Tramadol is minimally effective. Tylenol with codeine helps a bit but it makes me a bit loopy. Not the best for playing golf or driving. I haven't tried medical marijuana so other testimonials would be appreciated.

A lot of posts talking about how to get a medical marijuana card but not many about how effective it is for back pain relief. Can anybody offer more info about this?

I have disc degeneration, stenosis, and sciatica along with arthritis in my hip. The doctor considers surgery a last resort. I'm functional for most day to day activities. I can walk a couple of miles before the pain gets too bad but bending over to trim under trees will cause pain for days. I play golf (poorly) twice a week but no way can I do it on back to back days. I've tried CBD oil & creams and they don't help. I've had spinal injections. They help about half the time but only last for a few weeks. Tramadol is minimally effective. Tylenol with codeine helps a bit but it makes me a bit loopy. Not the best for playing golf or driving. I haven't tried medical marijuana so other testimonials would be appreciated.
My other half has her med card here in FL and has stenosis. She had surgery once for it and is trying to hold off as long as possible on surgery again. She really did not like being on codeine or any opoids, really made her loopy. She tried CBD creams/oils and they provided a little relief but not much. She switched to the THC infused products and this has been the largest help. She has learned how much to take based on her pain. If she has been active doing things and knows she will be hurting bad in an hour she will most likely take a small gummy. If she is in bad pain and needs immediate relief she uses the pen. They also have cookies and chocolates etc infused with THC. She rarely takes a whole dose (10mg), mostly half. She also is using the THC drops which you put in a drink and takes 8 mins to kick in.... 1 drop equals 1 mg, although be warned it doesn't taste good in the drink as they do this to keep girls from getting roofied. Usually its at the end of the day/night to help sleep when she is hurting and needs relief. So obviously she doesn't drive after taking it, and if we go out to dinner I obviously drive. It has worked really well for her over the last year.

Last edited:

My pain is probably nowhere near yours (I have significant arthritis in my knees and some degenerating disc). I do not partake during the day. It’s not so much that the pain magically goes away and I feel like a teenager, but it takes the edge off and allows me to relax comfortably at the end of a long day, and most importantly allows me to fall asleep comfortably and soundly. This is due to the strains I select, but I get very relaxed, very sleepy and my worries get lifted away.

My pain is probably nowhere near yours (I have significant arthritis in my knees and some degenerating disc). I do not partake during the day. It’s not so much that the pain magically goes away and I feel like a teenager, but it takes the edge off and allows me to relax comfortably at the end of a long day, and most importantly allows me to fall asleep comfortably and soundly. This is due to the strains I select, but I get very relaxed, very sleepy and my worries get lifted away.
Exactly what my other half is looking to do which is take the edge off the pain. So she can get a good nights sleep and drift away peacefully not cringing every time she moves in bed.

Reactions: diontechristmas

If you need surgery for that stenosis or disk degeneration I'd get it done early. You're just damaging the nerve bundles further while it gets worse. My dad had a laser type surgery about 10 years ago where they removed the inside of some vertebrae, and he was walking pain free within a few hours. The small incision for the tools took the longest to heal at two weeks. He was in his mid 70s at the time and hasn't had any problems since. I'm a big believer in getting things done early to 1) minimize the damage 2) get the maximum benefit from it for the longest time and 3) still be at a point where your body can readily heal itself. Same with the hip if you will eventually need a replacement.

I have 5 fused vertebra in my neck (C3 to T1), herniated disk at L5-L6, and annular tear at L6-S1. I get terrible neck spasms that cause migraines . I’ve found MM to be pretty good at getting rid of the spams that cause headaches. Most people that are dealing with spinal issues problems with bad spasms. As for my other back issues I find MM to be ineffective at treating pain.

I am considering getting a referral to a physician for the purposes of getting prescription in order to alleviate back pain, anxiety, and to help as a sleep aid. I’m not looking to take anything for what would be described as recreational use as that’s just not my thing. I’d be interested in getting some serious advice from others on this all knowing board who may be taking it. What is the process? What is the cost? How effective is it for pain relief, helping to sleep, and reducing anxiety? How much do you take and how often? Are there any side effects or negatives associated with taking it? People seem to be touting it as a miracle drug. Is it? Thanks
Try walking instead. I good 30 minute or more brisk walk will help with all of your issues. As many times a week as you can, the more the better. Lastly, read before you go to sleep. I have an adjustable bed frame so I can read in bed and it's been a great buy.

I have a card to treat anxiety and pain from arthritis.

You will have no issue qualifying with your conditions, you just need to find a qualified physician. Cost is out of pocket for the appointments.

I vape in the evenings, about 90 minutes or so before bed. I can’t say that is stops the pain, but puts me in a relaxed state where my worries float away and nothing bothers me. I sleep very well now, which has always been a problem for me. The pharmacist at the dispensary will help with selecting products and delivery methods. There are dozens of options. Basically, you don’t have to get super high to see benefits as it is all about the dosing and product. You start slow, and find your groove as far as what works best for you.

Once you get the card, it’s not very expensive. My vape cartridges cost $50 and last me about 3-4 weeks. Good luck, and I hope you find the relief you are looking for.
I went through the process and got the card. The pharmacist at the dispensary gave me 3 things - some balm to rub on my aching knees, some tincture to take during the day for pain and anxiety, and some doze drops to take before bed as a sleep aid. The rub seems to work for a few hours - better than Aspercream. The daytime tincture gives me an overall relaxed feeling and the doze drops make me sleepy without the after effects of Ambien. The trick as the pharmacist explained was getting the right dosage as you said. So you start low and increase it as needed which is easy to do with an eye dropper. Once you’ve found the amount that’s effective, you just stay there. I still have a lot to learn but so far it’s encouraging.

I went through the process and got the card. The pharmacist at the dispensary gave me 3 things - some balm to rub on my aching knees, some tincture to take during the day for pain and anxiety, and some doze drops to take before bed as a sleep aid. The rub seems to work for a few hours - better than Aspercream. The daytime tincture gives me an overall relaxed feeling and the doze drops make me sleepy without the after effects of Ambien. The trick as the pharmacist explained was getting the right dosage as you said. So you start low and increase it as needed which is easy to do with an eye dropper. Once you’ve found the amount that’s effective, you just stay there. I still have a lot to learn but so far it’s encouraging.

You've successfully begun your journey.

Up-in-Smoke-1-618x400.jpg

Best of luck with it. It has been a saving grace for my other half. She had tried everything from surgeries to pain killers and now has her card and is able to get relief and sleep. The nice thing is the stigma of it all is really gone and almost all people are accepting of it as an alternative way to get relief. And it will only continue to get larger. My friend was the 1st employee of a cannibas company that is doing a $4 billion dollar IPO. He took company stock rather than cash bonuses from the beginning, to say his ship has come in is an understatement.

Reactions: Nitwit
There is a licensed pharmacist at the dispensary?

The qualifications that you need to become a dispensary pharmacist depend on your state’s regulations. Pharmacists need to be aware of those regulations. Since you interact directly with customers, you need strong communication skills in just about any pharmacy position. In a marijuana dispensary, you also need an understanding of the effects of cannabis products. To become a pharmacist, you need to graduate from an accredited pharmacy school to become a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD). If you work with controlled substances, you need to register with your state and with the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).

Yes, and they are awesome. In my limited observations, the customer base is about 70/30 “real patients” vs. those who have a card but are probably using recreationally.

You see plenty of older/middle age folks buying creams and tinctures etc. The younger guys seem to buy the flower…I was behind a guy about 25 the other day buying about $200 worth of flower. Maybe he has a bunch of medical issues, but seems like he was stocking up for a party!

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I am considering getting a referral to a physician for the purposes of getting prescription in order to alleviate back pain, anxiety, and to help as a sleep aid. I’m not looking to take anything for what would be described as recreational use as that’s just not my thing. I’d be interested in getting some serious advice from others on this all knowing board who may be taking it. What is the process? What is the cost? How effective is it for pain relief, helping to sleep, and reducing anxiety? How much do you take and how often? Are there any side effects or negatives associated with taking it? People seem to be touting it as a miracle drug. Is it? Thanks
I can go on for a bit on this, but I would ask some people you know about what strains might be helpful. Buyer beware, weed is no miracle drug. I would look into various back therapies and other means to handle anxiety vs this. I've seen people with certain nerve pain get relief but generalized back pain not as much. Therapies including myofascial work, manipulation, and rehab exercises have worked much better for me than pain killers of any kind.

ADVERTISEMENT