OT: link included: If you like Ricky Henderson and Baseball see the link below

Mr. Potter

Dec 27, 2004
It's amazing that stolen bases aren't emphasized anymore

I'll add this link as well

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78
It's amazing that stolen bases aren't emphasized anymore

Yes, the steal was exciting. Frequently attend minor league games in FL. Remember Roman Quinn (Phils) reaching first, two pitches later on 3rd. Same for Ben Revere (Twins at the time). Fans also got excited when those guys got on base, changed tempo of game. Reminds me of managers who alone could change tempo of a game through arguments, pitching changes or other delaying tactics. First I remember who changed the pace was Chuck Tanner and of course LaRusso. Both guys were so irritating but great for their teams.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Yes, the steal was exciting. Frequently attend minor league games in FL. Remember Roman Quinn (Phils) reaching first, two pitches later on 3rd. Same for Ben Revere (Twins at the time). Fans also got excited when those guys got on base, changed tempo of game. Reminds me of managers who alone could change tempo of a game through arguments, pitching changes or other delaying tactics. First I remember who changed the pace was Chuck Tanner and of course LaRusso. Both guys were so irritating but great for their teams.
I don’t consider myself a true baseball purist, but there is nothing better fro a team sports perspective than a lead off guy getting a single, he steals second, the next batter bunts him over, and then a sacrifice fly to bring him home.

Reactions: bison13
Analytics say its a bad play, plus its hard on the body all the sliding and diving. Both of those lead to it not being worth the money guys are paid in todays game, thats why no one does it. I have been to seminars and clinics with Perry Husband, one of the leaders in the analytic pitching ideas and basically if you cant steal at an 80% rate its not justified in trying. While I disagree at lower levels and think minor leagues should teach the art of the steal better, i do see his point.

I was a huge A’s fan growing up in Pa in the early 70s with the Amazin’ A’s of Reggie, Vida, Bert, Sal, Rudi etc... I had always dreamed of going to see them in Oakland. I finally got the chance in June 98. Long story but I was late to the game but entered as Ricky hit a home run against the Giants in one of the early interleague games. Still one of my best baseball game memories even though I only saw 2 innings. I loved Ricky.

My son worked out with Ben Revere a few times after we moved to Lexington. I’m not a big pro baseball fan any more, so I didn’t even know who he was but my son did.

I don’t consider myself a true baseball purist, but there is nothing better fro a team sports perspective than a lead off guy getting a single, he steals second, the next batter bunts him over, and then a sacrifice fly to bring him home.
Actually, there is. I was at a game where o’s fans were heckling Rickey in the leadoff circle. He walked, stole second and third, and came home on a sac fly. Gave a little wink to the guys on the way back to the dugout.

Never seen speed as explosive as his.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT