ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just got in the office. Got an email from the wife. Gonna have to put my dog down.

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
The doctor just called me and Enzo has aggressive lymphoma. He is becoming weaker all the time and the oncologist does not recommend treatment. We need to prepare ourselves. I plan to get dressed soon and head to VCA. Please come after your class. We can see him and be with him today and do whatever we decide.

Love,

Jane

damn. I'm gonna miss my friend.

The doctor just called me and Enzo has aggressive lymphoma. He is becoming weaker all the time and the oncologist does not recommend treatment. We need to prepare ourselves. I plan to get dressed soon and head to VCA. Please come after your class. We can see him and be with him today and do whatever we decide.

Love,

Jane

That sucks. Sorry for your situation.

Love,

Jane

just about brought me to tears. My buddies day is coming sooner than I want, and I dont look forward to it. Makes me so sad.

just about brought me to tears. My buddies day is coming sooner than I want, and I dont look forward to it. Makes me so sad.
Same here.
Brings memories of last November 8 when we put down our second lab. We cried like a baby.
Remember it’s best for the dog, Jim. Nobody wants their dear friend to suffer.

OL

I am so sorry. I am alone the last 10 years, 4 months and 4 days and my buddy Posluszny (a puggle) has been my constant companion. He too is getting along (14 years) and I see signs that I am close to your predicament.
I will say that when you see how animals are abused......knowing that you loved Enzo, gave him a wonderful life....and he loved you in return.....what more can we ask? Again, I'm sorry.

Love,

Jane

It's tough to see an animal suffer and it's every bit as tough to let them go. Just remember the joy Enzo brought you in his life.

Love,

Jane

Sympathies to you and your family, LionJim.

Our dog passed away at home Tuesday night. He was creeping up on 15 years of age in a few months, and had started to struggle about a month ago. Some days the struggle was harder than others, and I knew the end was coming.

I'm working hard to remember the fun and goofiness and all the enjoyment and love we shared with him, and push the final few days out of my mind when the inevitable became apparent. Like you probably do for your pup, we have countless photos from all those years that I have been spending time looking at the last couple days, which brings about smiles and laughs. That approach has been working for me after the initial grief and tears. (Well, until just now!).

Your BWI family will be with you and yours today.

Love,

Jane

So sorry to hear! Dogs truly are mans best friend! Don't know what I'd do without my buddy...

Hang in there bro. One just like this will be waiting for you at your local shelter:
zCbaGbD.jpg

Love,

Jane

Jim, so sorry to hear this. I’ve been there too many times over the years. Hang in there, buddy.

Love,

Jane

Very sorry to hear. This board was very cathartic when we had to put our one Minature Schnauzer (JoePa) down about three years ago and then his brother (Nittany) a year later.

Just know you gave him the best life any dog could ask for.

Its a real punch in the gut and never gets easier. I've dealt with this three times and have two dogs now. As their master, you owe them a great life, and to make sure they never suffer.

Reactions: lionbacker
So sorry Jim. Our pets are family. Saying goodbye is so hard. You and Jane have given Enzo lots of love and he has unconditionally loved you back. So many of us have been there and we are with you today. May that bring you a bit of comfort.

Love,

Jane

My dog was diagnosed with lymphoma in Jan 2019. She went through chemo and it went into remission but came back. We had to put her down late September. I was heading out to the Maryland game and turned around and spent the last night with her watching the game together.

I’m still not over it. Tough because she was 7. I’m so sorry and know the pain you are going through

Love,

Jane

Toughest thing I've ever had to do. Did it twice. But also the kindest way to send Enzo over the Rainbow Bridge. In all my heart, I believe I will see them again.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together….”

Sorry to hear this Jim. Remember the many fun times together. As stated by some others, my day is approaching. She will be 17 in July. I treat every day like it could be the last. She follows me everywhere, knows my routine when I get home from work until I finish then it's out for our daily walk. The daily walk used to be about a mile (years ago) Now the daily walk is across the street to the neighbors mailbox for 10 minutes of sniffing. On adventurous days, we may walk 4 houses and back.

Last edited:
“Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog, it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big.” – Erica Jong

Take care, LionJim.

I recently finished 3 years of chemo to treat ALL. There wasn’t one other day during that brutal battle that was near as bad as the day almost one year ago when we had to put down our 14 1/2 year old dog Teddy. It’s the worst. Good luck and hang in there Jim!

Damn, that's a punch to the gut. Sorry to hear Jim. We lost our cat three years ago and those were some tough times.

Love,

Jane

I've been there on two separate occasions. It hurts terribly. But, you have to be comforted by the fact that you are really doing what's best for the animal.

I see others have posted "The Rainbow Bridge". I have it framed and hanging on a wall in our house.

I lost my first and only dog - Blackie, a beagle - sometime during my freshman year at Penn State, 1st term. My family held off telling me until Christmas break, afraid that telling me would negatively affect my grades.

Very sorry for your loss Jim! Don't be like me, get another one.

Dogs bring us such great joy. They love you unconditionally. Regardless of you day they can always make you smile.

I’m so sorry you have to make this difficult decision. The last time we were in the same situation our vet said to us that it’s just so hard as they don’t live long enough. It’s so true. We only get them for part of our lives but we are their whole lives.

Be thankful for the times you spent with your friend and all the wonderful memories you will carry. I wish you all the strength to get through the next few days.

Love,

Jane

So sorry. That is one of life’s hard things to do.

Love,

Jane

Wow. Sorry to hear that.

LJ, my most sincere thoughts and prayers are with you, Jane and Enzo. Believe me, I know how you feel.

I had to put my 14 1/2 year old basset hound Bailey down 5 years ago today.....yep, on Valentine’s Day. There wasn’t a single day in the next month that I didn’t break-up and bawl my eyes out. I was so sad and so lonely, I didn’t know what to do or how to cope. It’s still tough five year later when I talked to her this morning and thanked her for being in my life.

I began to consider adopting a Senior dog from my rescue.....but then was told six weeks later that we had had a litter of six puppies, born 2/16/15.....two days after I had to put Bailey down.

Spent a few days thinking.....did I want a puppy at my age? Was it fair to the puppy or to me? YES YES YES! So I applied.....along with 42 other families.....and waited and waited. Then one night I got the call, I was going to get one of the five boys.

It took forever, but 4/25/15 finally arrived and the five other lucky families and I converged on Dwight, IL to meet our new additions. That was the day Fonzie saved my life and we will be celebrating his birthday this Sunday.

LJ, Enzo will ALWAYS be an important part of your family. He will never be forgotten and he will never be replaced. But other dogs need a good home and a good family and, when the time is right, I pray that you find your Fonzie as I did mine.

FONZIE IS BARKING FOR ENZO !

Love,

Jane

LJ - that is tough for you and your family. Family dogs are wonderful and I am sure this one will be missed.

I went through this a number of years ago. My 4 legged best friend had cancer and was in pain. It was tough but I believe I made the right decision.

Enjoy your time with him.

Love,

Jane

Sincere condolences to you and your family. My heart aches reading your post. You have talked about Enzo often and the connection was clear. I will hug my dogs a little longer tonight and make sure to savor every minute we spend hunting this weekend.

It is tough to lose your dog. It is losing a member of the family. Know our thoughts are with you.

My Westie, Buddy, died in early January. I miss him terribly.

My Cairne, Lizzie, is an exact copy of Toto. She has always been a robust and happy little dog. She is 15 and slowing down. The Vet says she has a bad disc in her back. I never miss an opportunity to tell her I love her. Times on the couch with her are special.

My health and age will not allow me to get another dog. I do not want to leave an animal alone when I go. That does not stop me from offering my services to dog watch pets in the neighborhood.

That totally sucks Jim, very sorry to hear. I always notice how integrated our dog is into our family and cannot imagine the day...great companions they are.

I feel your pain. In October, we had to put our 8 year old sheltie Bruno down. He had a 5 month battle with Lymphoma.

I worked late the night before we put him down. I got home at 10pm and he was upstairs sleeping on the bed with my wife. He jumped down, ran downstairs, and greeted me at the door like he had done countless times. Neither one of us knew at that point that it would be his last time doing that.

He layed with me on the couch as I watched TV and unwound from my day, and he was hyperventilating and unable to catch his breath. I stayed up with him trying to make him comfortable, giving him water and a few treats. At 3AM I woke my wife and son and said I thought it was time and that we couldn't let Bruno suffer any longer. We called the vet at 8AM when they opened and took him in at 9AM. Toughest decision. But the right decision for someone who was loving and loyal to us all the way til the end.

Grab a lasting memory of your dog to warm your heart. Mine will always be Bruno, sick as can be, still finding the strength to greet me at the door less than 12 hrs from the end.

Peace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT