ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I'll share a disappointment in life. My summer of Junior Year at PSU, my Best bud and I went to Calif. His..............

Mr. Potter

Dec 27, 2004
Grandmother owned an insane home with views of the ocean and downtown LA outside every patio, in Pacific Palisades. She bought the property in the late 50's. Any who. We mapped out everything for our itinerary, saving the best for last and main reason I wantied to see Calif; Hearst Castle. Trip was insane, Whisky Go-go, clubs, Disneyland, Getty Museum. The day before we take the 5 hour ride to San SImeon. Our last two days on the trip. It rains. And not being from LA didn't realize they panic like its a blizzard.

The Pacific Coast highway had mudslides. We embark at 5:00 am to Hearst Castle. My buddy Ross's, Aunt Tammy came along. Almost didn't make it there the roads were atrocious from debris, mud, fog because of rain. It was so foggy and cloudy you couldn't see the 10 yards in front of you.

We soldier on and finally arrive but it was so foggy You couldn't even see the Enchanted Castle. Aunt Tammy has to tinkle so we get off the departing bus up the hill and catch the next one. I see his Aunt coming, Ross gets on the Bus, and just as I hand the driver my ticket he stops me. He's mumbling on the C.B. / Walkie Talkie and looks to me with a Smile and says " We're shutting the park down".

I thought it was a joke and try to push past him. He gets aggressive and says "Hey get off the bus we're closing, no more tours!"

I plead with him that I'll just take the indoor tour. I explained they were safe in that fortress Hearst built and the bus 10 minutes earlier didn't turn around. I'll do what they are doing. I don't need to see the grounds.

Mother F-cker pulls the "I'll call the cops get off the bus!)

I'm so numb my mind wanders to all the books on I read on this Ranch, Castle and Home

My friend Ross ( nothing gets him rattled,) non-chantly gets up says lets go and then Goes into the gift shop and get some slides "we'll tell everyone we shot the pictures." In his mind problem solved.

Went back to the car, even though I was there I never actually got to see it.

Also involving California.
Went to visit my roommate who lived on Orange County for the Holiday Bowl in 89(?).
Was there for NYE, and a couple other buddies who had driven out joined us for a night of clubbing.
I somehow ended up making out with this exceptionally beautiful woman who looked a little like Macy Gray back when she was younger and hotter. She wanted me to go home with her. In those days there were no cell phones, and I ended up bailing on her. Such a missed opportunity ....
Buddies and I went to breakfast, then drove down and walked across border into Tijuana (just to say we did it) for some more drinking. Roommates mom made an awesome roast beef for NYD when we finally made it back to his parent's house.

Reactions: Mr. Potter
sorry-folks-vacation.gif

Grandmother owned an insane home with views of the ocean and downtown LA outside every patio, in Pacific Palisades. She bought the property in the late 50's. Any who. We mapped out everything for our itinerary, saving the best for last and main reason I wantied to see Calif; Hearst Castle. Trip was insane, Whisky Go-go, clubs, Disneyland, Getty Museum. The day before we take the 5 hour ride to San SImeon. Our last two days on the trip. It rains. And not being from LA didn't realize they panic like its a blizzard.

The Pacific Coast highway had mudslides. We embark at 5:00 am to Hearst Castle. My buddy Ross's, Aunt Tammy came along. Almost didn't make it there the roads were atrocious from debris, mud, fog because of rain. It was so foggy and cloudy you couldn't see the 10 yards in front of you.

We soldier on and finally arrive but it was so foggy You couldn't even see the Enchanted Castle. Aunt Tammy has to tinkle so we get off the departing bus up the hill and catch the next one. I see his Aunt coming, Ross gets on the Bus, and just as I hand the driver my ticket he stops me. He's mumbling on the C.B. / Walkie Talkie and looks to me with a Smile and says " We're shutting the park down".

I thought it was a joke and try to push past him. He gets aggressive and says "Hey get off the bus we're closing, no more tours!"

I plead with him that I'll just take the indoor tour. I explained they were safe in that fortress Hearst built and the bus 10 minutes earlier didn't turn around. I'll do what they are doing. I don't need to see the grounds.

I'm so numb my mind wanders to all the books on I read on this Ranch, Castle and Home

My friend Ross ( nothing gets him rattled,) non-chantly gets up says lets go and then Goes into the gift shop and get some slides "we'll tell everyone we shot the pictures." In his mind problem solved.

Honestly, you're not missing much. We drove from San Diego to San Francisco and took a side trip to see the castle (the natural beauty of the area is AMAZING) and did the tour. The pools were very cool, and there is a lot of interesting history (Hearst basically let his zoo animals run wild on the property), but if not for the location, would just be a big house IMO. We had mudslides too so we couldn't take the 1 from San Simeon to San Francisco which was a bummer.

Maybe you could just go again?

Gotta be honest. Did the old HWY 1 thing and I drove right by the "castle". Seen plenty of big old houses.

We drove up the coast in 2010. Saw the castle. It’s pretty cool. Then went to Carmel. I wanted to drive around Pebble Beach but got stiff armed into seeing the mission then dinner first. Got to the gate right at 7:00 — just in time to be told the gate was closed to the public (even though we were earlier assured we’d be able to get in). I was so pissed off that when I got home I shot a nasty email off to the guy in charge. He called me, I told him the story, he sent me US Open gear. Small consolation I guess.

Honestly, you're not missing much. We drove from San Diego to San Francisco and took a side trip to see the castle (the natural beauty of the area is AMAZING) and did the tour. The pools were very cool, and there is a lot of interesting history (Hearst basically let his zoo animals run wild on the property), but if not for the location, would just be a big house IMO. We had mudslides too so we couldn't take the 1 from San Simeon to San Francisco which was a bummer.
No, nothing to lose sleep over. Not like missing Fallingwater or Yosemite.

I don't get it, what is this, like a full size barbie castle?

You shoulda married the grandmother and inherited the house. Imagine what that would be worth now!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT