ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Getting rid of a yellowjacket nest

My neighbor had a serious problem with a yellow jacket or wasp nest in the tube which mounted his Dish to the top of his shed. We watched the way they were getting in and out and did our best to see all possible escape routes. Well, in the middle of the night we went up there and quickly taped three holes. The next day we bought this spray with an attachment that would allow you to spray from several feet away. WHAT A DISASTER!! When we started spraying they were able to get out and literally attack us. I was 39 at the time and was able to jump off his shed (7') and ran into my garage for safety. My neighbor who was older was forced to climb down his latter. I was stung twice on the back of the neck, once on the chest and once on my right forearm. He was stung multiple times on the face, back and hand. He ended up calling an exterminator who come the very next day. He found 20 to 30 dead wasps in the base of the mount and according to him they ended up abandoning the nest. Never again do I mess with wasps.

Last edited:
I have had to deal with those bastards several times, ground wasps I think they are called. I didn't want to do the gas thing since I have plants around the area that I didn't want to kill. At first I tried plugging the hole with cement but they just dug another entrance. So the last couple of times I did this:

My strategy is to dig the nest up so that I know those little bastards are dead and they won't come back. I wait until the late evening and spray the area with Raid wasp killer. When they settle down I stick my shovel in and try to get the nest or at least a chunk of dirt up and then run like hell. If the nest is exposed, I spray onto that. If they get too angry at that point, I wait until the next day. This may take a few days. I have never been stung when I know they are there. I am not happy until I see the Raid soaked remains of their nest.

Reactions: RU31trap
This thread reminded me of the surefire way to get rid of a case of the crabs. It’s an oldie.

You go to the movies. Buy a large popcorn, heavily salted and fake-buttered. Sit alone near the back. When the theater darkens, unzip your pants and pull them down a ways. Pour the popcorn all over your pubic area. The crabs will eat the popcorn and get very thirsty. When the crabs dash to the water fountain in the lobby, pull up your pants and run out the side door.

Case of crabs closed.

I woke up this AM to yellowjackets swarming on my deck. Put the dogs out and they swarmed my deck lights. There is a nest up under my eves behind siding. Will gasoline and fire work on this?

Seriously, any ideas to destroy them? I did spray the area with a vinegar and water mix and they went wild.

Reactions: gregoryj95
I woke up this AM to yellowjackets swarming on my deck. Put the dogs out and they swarmed my deck lights. There is a nest up under my eves behind siding. Will gasoline and fire work on this?

Seriously, any ideas to destroy them? I did spray the area with a vinegar and water mix and they went wild.
You need the foaming spray. Several companies make it. Get several cans. Find the hole and direct the spray right in the hole. Best at night or early morning.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Heavy-Weight-Wasp-amp-Hornet-Killer2-18-oz-3-Pack/47227671

Reactions: bytir
I hate all forms of wasps and hornets. I had a nest in my house of which I was unaware until I saw the comings and goings while working on my deck. Sprayed two full cans into the cracks in the siding that were their entrance/exit points, then used that expanding foam stuff that hardens almost immediately to keep them in. Later, there were 100s of the dead bastards in my basement (they apparently had a nest above the drop ceiling).

The next summer, my neighbor was pruning trees in his yard and one limb ended up in mind. When he went to retrieve it, he painfully discovered a ground nest. His suggestion was to park a mower right above the entrance, believing that the vibration would piss them off and when they flew out of the hole the mower would chop them to bits. Considering I only had a riding mower that shut off as soon as my ass left the seat, I nixed that plan! I got rid of them with the gasoline and fire method, and ended up with a crater about 2 feet across and a foot or so deep.

This year, I have some in the siding of a new house, right beside a door. So far, I've tried the foaming Wasp and Hornet Killer and Yellow Jacket Killer; the only result I've noticed is them enjoying a nice bubble bath that night before sending their hitmen out to attack me the next day as I was sighting in my bow. Something has to give or I'm going gas fire on them, and damn the consequences!

I just now shot the hell out of a YJ nest next to my foundation. Got close enough to direct it right in the hole. End of activity. Cool and rainy, so they were not real active.

I have had to deal with those bastards several times, ground wasps I think they are called. I didn't want to do the gas thing since I have plants around the area that I didn't want to kill. At first I tried plugging the hole with cement but they just dug another entrance. So the last couple of times I did this:

My strategy is to dig the nest up so that I know those little bastards are dead and they won't come back. I wait until the late evening and spray the area with Raid wasp killer. When they settle down I stick my shovel in and try to get the nest or at least a chunk of dirt up and then run like hell. If the nest is exposed, I spray onto that. If they get too angry at that point, I wait until the next day. This may take a few days. I have never been stung when I know they are there. I am not happy until I see the Raid soaked remains of their nest.
Jesus Christ. Just use the Sevin dust.

Reactions: demlion
Jesus Christ. Just use the Sevin dust.

My way is much more satisfying. I only discover them when they sting me and I will take my revenge. I will be their god of death. Like I said, once I know they are there I have never been stung.

Reactions: demlion
Update: I used the gasoline method. Poured maybe half a glass worth into the hole using a short length of hose so I didn't need to get close. Applied this late in the evening on a cloudy day. I didn't set it on fire, just let the gas sit in there. Checked it the morning, no activity at all. Later that night I hit it with foaming spray just to be sure but it seems like the gas worked. I guess I'll find out when I mow the lawn later today ...

did the raid kill the cicada killers? cant find anything that will. and i'm a golf course super.

That stuff works plus you can spray it from up to 29 feet away from the nest. I have used it with great success. We have had ground nests of Cicada killer wasps the past few years. Big bastards that will fly at you but not sting you
WCPO_Cicada_killer_with_prey_1503190090434_64526726_ver1.0_900_675.JPG

Update: I used the gasoline method. Poured maybe half a glass worth into the hole using a short length of hose so I didn't need to get close. Applied this late in the evening on a cloudy day. I didn't set it on fire, just let the gas sit in there. Checked it the morning, no activity at all. Later that night I hit it with foaming spray just to be sure but it seems like the gas worked. I guess I'll find out when I mow the lawn later today ...

images

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Yes. Glad that worked for you. I used it all the time when mowing hay fields. Did the gas at dark and continued mowing the next morning with no issues at all. I never lit the gassed nest on fire, especially since it was in a hay field. That wouldn't have turned out well.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I've been keeping up to date on this thread since Friday afternoon. Can't get enough from the board this close to the season.

And what do you know, 5 minutes ago I noticed all kinds of yellow jacket activity in the ground about 20 feet from my concrete patio out back. Having carefully read all of the opinions and stories in this thread over the last 5 days, I've narrowed my options to the two most obvious solutions:

1. Stuff a "Sky Smiles" SW841 Shogun mortar (the box is soooo racist, by the way) upside down in the hole and blow them up.
2. Stuff a much larger "Screaming Eagle" mortar in the hole, upside down, and blow them up with that.

The Sky Smile will fit in the hole more easily, but the Screaming Eagle has some obvious advantages. Guess I'll decide after dark tonight.

My order of Tempo 1% dust and bulb sprayer arrived yesterday from Amazon. Applied and can see almost all gone. I'm confident the stragglers will be gone today. Using this stuff on a nest behind siding or underground is the only way to go.

Reactions: YeOldeCup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT