ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Getting rid of a yellowjacket nest

TCFA-Nit

Sep 9, 2004
Hey all, last night I had the pleasure of running into an in-ground yellowjacket nest while mowing my lawn. I got stung about 5-7 times before I even knew what was happening.

This morning I was able to locate the general location of the nest, right under a tree and in my lawn. The problem I have is that those foam sprays, etc. probably aren't going to be able to get down into the nest far enough to be effective. After one application the nest seems as nasty as ever.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas or proven ways of getting rid of these things. A coworker mentioned they had some success "drowning" the nest by letting a hose run into it overnight but I've also heard that doesn't necessarily work. And I'm not sure I want to try pouring gas down there.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeFi and bytir
Hey all, last night I had the pleasure of running into an in-ground yellowjacket nest while mowing my lawn. I got stung about 5-7 times before I even knew what was happening.

This morning I was able to locate the general location of the nest, right under a tree and in my lawn. The problem I have is that those foam sprays, etc. probably aren't going to be able to get down into the nest far enough effective. After one application the nest seems as nasty as ever.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas or proven ways of getting rid of these things. A coworker mentioned they had some success "drowning" the nest by letting a hose run into it overnight but I've also heard that doesn't necessarily work. And I'm not sure I want to try pouring gas down there.

Thanks in advance.
I used a foam spray from ten feet. Applied it two or three times did the trick. No more bees. Good luck

Reactions: 1PSU1

This morning I was able to locate the general location of the nest, right under a tree and in my lawn. The problem I have is that those foam sprays, etc. probably aren't going to be able to get down into the nest far enough effective. After one application the nest seems as nasty as ever.

Thanks in advance.
Sure cure.......get a 12 oz plastic bottle and fill it half way with gas or kerosene. Wait until its dark outside and pour it into the hole and squeeze the bottle. Have a small rag nearby that you can light and quickly throw onto the hole. It will burn for a while but it also will kill all of the ground bees. I did one last year that ended up being about as round as a bushel basket under the ground. They can make a large hive over time. There may be a few bees around the next day but they will leave after the hive is destroyed.

At night when they're all in the nest pour gasoline down the hole. You can light the gas if you like, but the fumes pretty much kill them if you don't. I've done it quite a few times.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Boy, those are some mean mfs who hate you and know they can hurt you. Godspeed.

No kidding. I hate those things and this is the time of the year when they get especially nasty.
I'm allergic to bee stings but whatever their venom is, its the one that causes me the most problems. Well those and honey bees but fortunately honey bees aren't that pissy.

Boy, those are some mean mfs who hate you and know they can hurt you. Godspeed.

No doubt. After the first attack, I went inside to get some meds. Went out maybe 5 minutes later, and I was nowhere near the nest, and they came after me again. They kept attacking the lawnmower until it was dark.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

This morning I was able to locate the general location of the nest, right under a tree and in my lawn. The problem I have is that those foam sprays, etc. probably aren't going to be able to get down into the nest far enough to be effective. After one application the nest seems as nasty as ever.

Thanks in advance.

Call a Georgia Bulldog. They do every November..............lol

Reactions: N&B4PSU and bytir

Thanks in advance.
Just get a Georgia bulldog to take care of the problem. They always beat Georgia Tech.

We tried sprays but they were ineffective. Got our exterminator out and so far they're gone. Did cost a bit but the problem seems to have been solved. My son was the one that got stung, also while lawn mowing.

Thanks in advance.
That happened to me once about 15 years ago. I thought it was fire ants at first. I literally ran to the shower and disrobed there with cold water running and saw the little flying bastards. Luckily this was before youtube because I'm sure I would have been on it. I was definitely well into double digit stings before it was all over. Then had to track all the survivors.

I paid professionals to clear mine out. When they showed up and asked where they were I pointed to my lawnmower, which was still in the yard, and said something like "right around there". They did some sort of spay and powder and that took care of it. Mine was the remains of a stump that I had ground down.

Hopefully you're experience wasn't as bad as mine. Good luck.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
latest

Thanks in advance.

Crossbow

I get at least 1 in ground nest a year to deal with. I go at them with hot/boiling water at night. Fill the hole until it floods. Drown those suckers.

I hit a hornets nest while trimming bushes a few years ago. They got me about 20 times. Chased me all over the yard. Neighbors thought I went crazy. I did but it was the hornets who drove me there.

I should have said Michigan Wolverines and Pitt Panthers are pretty much interchangeable.

I love this thread...first time in a long time our mutual agreement... and disdain... for those little c###suckers.

Every time I crush one of them into the ground, I twist my foot to make sure they are dismembered...and they keep twitching.

We had a beloved Labrador Retriever killed from a multitude of bee stings - my mom got stung 30-40 times trying to save her. RIP Nera.

Anyway - that effin nest got the true measure of payback. It was a smoking crater when we got done with it. Combo of gas and a series of M80s. We went medieval on them

just the old school Raid Hornet and Wasp worked for me. They made a nest at the top of my basketball hoop and one later, in the ground near my landscaping. Hit them with this stuff and they were dead before they hit the ground.

302794.JPG

Reactions: rudedude
We had a beloved Labrador Retriever killed from a multitude of bee stings - my mom got stung 30-40 times trying to save her. RIP Nera.

Anyway - that effin nest got the true measure of payback. It was a smoking crater when we got done with it. Combo of gas and a series of M80s. We went medieval on them

Did you see the you tube videos of the metal fire ant sculptures?
Very cool.

Sure cure.......get a 12 oz plastic bottle and fill it half way with gas or kerosene. Wait until its dark outside and pour it into the hole and squeeze the bottle. Have a small rag nearby that you can light and quickly throw onto the hole. It will burn for a while but it also will kill all of the ground bees. I did one last year that ended up being about as round as a bushel basket under the ground. They can make a large hive over time. There may be a few bees around the next day but they will leave after the hive is destroyed.
Yes. Fire in the hole. My method was different, but I made those bastards burn in yellow jacket hell. Your only challenge is waiting for a time the little shits aren't around to sting you.

Thanks in advance.
Bees sleep at night, so that is the best time to take them on. They will wake up, but you will have the element of surprise. I've heard that fire works on in-ground yellow jacket nests. Try pouring some gas directly in their nest and all around it. Light it on fire and watch from a safe distance.

Reactions: indoorgolf
I love this thread...first time in a long time our mutual agreement... and disdain... for those little c###suckers.

Every time I crush one of them into the ground, I twist my foot to make sure they are dismembered...and they keep twitching.

Meant to say "consensual agreement". When's the last time we had one of those on this board? Die you little bastards!

OK. There's a lot of bad advice in this thread from avid DIYers. Those things could seriously hurt or kill you. Call a professional. Let him or her take the risk.

Reactions: 84Lion
OK. There's a lot of bad advice in this thread from avid DIYers. Those things could seriously hurt or kill you. Call a professional. Let him or her take the risk.
If we didn't give bad advice
If we didn't give real bad advice
We'd have no advice at all

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT