ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Getting rid of a yellowjacket nest

Simply killing the bastards is insufficient. You need to make them PAY. Thus a little gasoline - not too much - plus a kerosene or diesel chaser. Only because the kero is so much safer to ignite.

You'll broil them alive and suffocate the survivors. All forms of warfare are authorized. It's personal now.
If you really want them to suffer then feed them Taco Dogs.

Only us old timers will get that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BBrown
OK. There's a lot of bad advice in this thread from avid DIYers. Those things could seriously hurt or kill you. Call a professional. Let him or her take the risk.
Really. I can't believe you would call and pay an exterminator to kill a yellowjacket nest. If you live in the country, you deal with these on occasion. Like I said before, just pour some gasoline down the hole. Someone else suggested boiling water and that would work also, but gas is easier. No matter what you put down the hole, wait until after dark when they're all in there.

Like many here I went with the foam at night. And then shoveled dirt into the hole the next day hoping grass would fill in and the yellow jackets would be a memory.... But a couple days later the remnants of the nest, the survivors, had tunneled a new entrance to their nest and were going strong.

So I went nuclear, and poured gasoline down the new hole, and that was the end of it!! Now it is grass like it should be!!

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Foam will work on a small nest. It will also work on a large one eventually. But it has to be reapplied, probably taking days and quite a few cans. For a large nest, burning it out is the way to go.

just the old school Raid Hornet and Wasp worked for me. They made a nest at the top of my basketball hoop and one later, in the ground near my landscaping. Hit them with this stuff and they were dead before they hit the ground.

302794.JPG
That stuff works plus you can spray it from up to 29 feet away from the nest. I have used it with great success. We have had ground nests of Cicada killer wasps the past few years. Big bastards that will fly at you but not sting you
WCPO_Cicada_killer_with_prey_1503190090434_64526726_ver1.0_900_675.JPG

Reactions: kgilbert78
I've dealt with them a lot growing up mowing our hay fields. Go out at dark and pour about a quart of gas into the hole. No more bees by morning.

Hey all, last night I had the pleasure of running into an in-ground yellowjacket nest while mowing my lawn. I got stung about 5-7 times before I even knew what was happening.

This morning I was able to locate the general location of the nest, right under a tree and in my lawn. The problem I have is that those foam sprays, etc. probably aren't going to be able to get down into the nest far enough to be effective. After one application the nest seems as nasty as ever.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas or proven ways of getting rid of these things. A coworker mentioned they had some success "drowning" the nest by letting a hose run into it overnight but I've also heard that doesn't necessarily work. And I'm not sure I want to try pouring gas down there.

Thanks in advance.

Crazy. I just finished a round of golf. Off the back of #9, my ball kicked into a red hazard. Went in to chip it out because I could get a stick on it. I was promptly attacked by a ground nest of yellow jackets. Stung about 5 times as well. Back 9 sucked big time. Those rotten pricks.

Crazy. I just finished a round of golf. Off the back of #9, my ball kicked into a red hazard. Went in to chip it out because I could get a stick on it. I was promptly attacked by a ground nest of yellow jackets. Stung about 5 times as well. Back 9 sucked big time. Those rotten pricks.
It must be the season - stung 4 times last evening while cutting grass down in our back yard. Single sting first time on foot through sock below ankle. Hurt like hell but didn't think much of it. Second pass back through the area they got me 3 more times and i started to yell and looked pretty goofy pushing the mower while swatting at my ankles, and then running up the bank to chase my wife in the house as she was standing there laughing at me hysterically. She made up for it by making an old farm remedy paste from baking soda. Worked really well to draw the poison out of the wound.

They are nesting under a wood skid of wood scraps i have next to our old fire pit in holes the chipmunks started. My son and i just went out in the rain to drag the skid across the yard so i can access the holes tomorrow. Damn bastards still came out after us once the skid was moved. Will identify exact hole location tomorrow and go full napalm on them tomorrow night!

It IS the season. Yellow Jackets seem to know they are about done and get even meaner this time of year. They love trash cans filled with empty beer and soda containers. On the golf course, we had these every day in abundance and each August/September were challenges to empty due to Yellow Jacket proximity. It was a real job hazard, not fun at all. Same for swimming pools and the water there, the jackets loved it.

Androcles, great idea. I never heard that and it is brilliant, a screen on top of the nest to screen them in the hole! You can spray through it or drop dust through it, great idea man.

I had an elderly friend call me with a "bee" problem several years ago. I did not know what kind until I arrived but it was midday. I suited up in full rain gear, duct taped to boots, to gloves and wore a mask. Any protective gear I could think of. I mix up my potion as he points out the spot. When I begin to spray, a few jackets pop out and falter, some get out and buzz me but not many and I continue to hose them down all the while he is standing behind me, unprotected wearing a short sleeve shirt and shorts. His wife is screaming at him to get inside but he is deaf to her voice.

Fortunately, I mixed a nuke dose and none survived that I could tell as they likely would have been attacking me and circling the nest. My friend was very fortunate that day. Some old Dizanion and Imidacloprid so a residual was present to ensure a long-term zone of protection for returnees who missed my initial dose. My friend said they never returned.

Carl, every tee box and trash container is an accident waiting to happen. Once had a bee go into my pop can in my cart as I teed off, scared the hell out of myself and spit / spilled all over myself when I went back to the cart and took a big swig. Now it’s only drinks with a screw on cap like Gatorade / Powerade or a 20 oz bottle of pop.

Several years ago out in Palm Springs / La Quinta played a couple courses that had their trash containers sunk in the ground next to each tee with a step-open lid. GREAT IDEA!

Gasoline will work. But if it's near the foundation of your house don't do it. If you do you will soon discover gasoline fumes in your basement. Gray block is pretty porous. I speak from experience.

Reactions: fkkkjm
Sure cure.......get a 12 oz plastic bottle and fill it half way with gas or kerosene. Wait until its dark outside and pour it into the hole and squeeze the bottle. Have a small rag nearby that you can light and quickly throw onto the hole. It will burn for a while but it also will kill all of the ground bees. I did one last year that ended up being about as round as a bushel basket under the ground. They can make a large hive over time. There may be a few bees around the next day but they will leave after the hive is destroyed.
Gas will eat throw the plastic bottle.

If you want to have a lot of fun.

Go to Home Depot get a paint stick.

Dip In gas stick the paint stick in the ground bee nest and then throw a wood match at stick.

Screw ground bees they are the worse.

Hey all, last night I had the pleasure of running into an in-ground yellowjacket nest while mowing my lawn. I got stung about 5-7 times before I even knew what was happening.

This morning I was able to locate the general location of the nest, right under a tree and in my lawn. The problem I have is that those foam sprays, etc. probably aren't going to be able to get down into the nest far enough to be effective. After one application the nest seems as nasty as ever.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas or proven ways of getting rid of these things. A coworker mentioned they had some success "drowning" the nest by letting a hose run into it overnight but I've also heard that doesn't necessarily work. And I'm not sure I want to try pouring gas down there.

Thanks in advance.
I once felt your pain.

One of my summer jobs was to mow the yard of some multi-millionaires who had a pond (and a really nice indoor pool, but I digress) on their 50 acre estate. The owner was a bit eccentric in that he enjoyed mowing most of his estate with three reel mowers behind his WWII Jeep. He didn’t want to partake in “trim mowing” around his wife’s rose garden or other landscaping features on the property, hence my job.

I was running the walk-behind mower around the edge of the pond when the mf’ers came at me. I got stung 15 times in the span of 30 seconds and was approximately 300 yds from their mansion up the hill. I recall shutting off the mower and sprinting until none of the f’ers were around.

I made it up to the mansion and the owners were aghast at my many welts. Thankfully, I’m not allergic to their bites.

The next day the owner took a shortened hose (15’) and inserted one end into the hole. He proceeded to pour about a couple gallons of gasoline into the hole and then waited 15 minutes. He then ran a long gas-saturated piece of cotton rope into the hole ..... and then lit it from about 50’ away.

We stood back and just watched the explosion. I don’t think he was particularly concerned about the environmental consequences of his actions.

Reactions: KnightWhoSaysNit
Pool or pond, pool or pond ...

Bet they told you the pond would be good for you. :cool:
At least you caught the Caddyshack reference. The two owners had no children of their own so they were like “liberal grandparents” when it came to leaving me to monitor the property while they were up at their summer place in Maine.

Needless to say, the indoor pool (it resembled the pool from the movie “Cocoon”) was “enjoyable” especially to my girlfriend at the time.

Thankfully, that was before the advent of home security camera systems. :oops:

At least you caught the Caddyshack reference. The two owners had no children of their own so they were like “liberal grandparents” when it came to leaving me to monitor the property while they were up at their summer place in Maine.

Needless to say, the indoor pool (it resembled the pool from the movie “Cocoon”) was “enjoyable” especially to my girlfriend at the time.

Thankfully, that was before the advent of home security camera systems. :oops:
So, you're telling us you "cleaned" another pool before Karen's?

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
Had a ground nest of them a few years ago next to the foundation of the house. I could lean out over the porch railing and shoot the foam poison right in the opening from 10 or 12 feet away. Would shoot them morning and night for several days until they finally stopped coming out of the hole.

Forgot about em and a week went by. Checked on em again and something had dug a hole about a foot wide and a foot deep and pulled out 4-5 big chunks of nest similar to what you might see above ground- flat, with a million little chambers for the larvae, all chewed up. Coon, possum, skunk I dunno. I bet he had a bellyache.

just the old school Raid Hornet and Wasp worked for me. They made a nest at the top of my basketball hoop and one later, in the ground near my landscaping. Hit them with this stuff and they were dead before they hit the ground.

302794.JPG
This is my answer also!
I was told by friends at work to do your "dirty work" at night, when the bees are all in the hive. Well, I usually have 3-4 cans of Wasp & Hornet spray available. I just aim at the SPOT, and fire away! Always works!!! But, yes, I've gotten stung, and it isn't nice. A few spot locations were: 1.) just a hole in the ground, and 2.) as stated above, under a cut down tree.

Reactions: Obliviax

Thanks in advance.

Call this guy. Best in the business...

636095313074772062.jpg

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Wasn’t there just a huge lawsuit settled because of the supposedly toxic power of talcum powder? Give the nest a good sprinkling of that white stuff and see what that does!

Sure cure.......get a 12 oz plastic bottle and fill it half way with gas or kerosene. Wait until its dark outside and pour it into the hole and squeeze the bottle. Have a small rag nearby that you can light and quickly throw onto the hole. It will burn for a while but it also will kill all of the ground bees. I did one last year that ended up being about as round as a bushel basket under the ground. They can make a large hive over time. There may be a few bees around the next day but they will leave after the hive is destroyed.

This is the right answer. Always wait until almost dark as most of the bees will be in the nest, including the queen. Expect it to burn for 45 minutes to an hour. Problem solved.

Find the nest opening. Wait until dark so all wasps are in the hive. Pour gas into the hole that’s the hive entrance.
Wasps will be dead.

YouTube has a lot of entertaining videos of guys trying to eliminate wasp and hornet nests. I saw one where the Japanese Army used a flamethrower to take out a huge nest that was way up in a tree. Good stuff.

The consensus of treating at dusk or after dark is excellent. The screen idea on top of the entrance to the hive is great. The choice of a product varies. I like a quick acting product like Tempo plus a product with a residual that will last for a long time to catch stragglers and any left that could produce a new nest as insurance such as one with an Imidacloprid A. I. A lot of great idea guys, some fun too. Key is wearing some protective gear when performing the project or suffer the consequences, ouch.

Had a ground nest of them a few years ago next to the foundation of the house. I could lean out over the porch railing and shoot the foam poison right in the opening from 10 or 12 feet away. Would shoot them morning and night for several days until they finally stopped coming out of the hole.

Forgot about em and a week went by. Checked on em again and something had dug a hole about a foot wide and a foot deep and pulled out 4-5 big chunks of nest similar to what you might see above ground- flat, with a million little chambers for the larvae, all chewed up. Coon, possum, skunk I dunno. I bet he had a bellyache.
Counselor: Some of your stories about your local flora and fauna are entertaining as hell, not to mention informative. Thanks for those, and keep submitting them.

What part of the state do you live in? How far is it to the nearest supermarket of any appreciable size?

Counselor: Some of your stories about your local flora and fauna are entertaining as hell, not to mention informative. Thanks for those, and keep submitting them.

What part of the state do you live in? How far is it to the nearest supermarket of any appreciable size?
I live in Berkeley Springs. We have a Food Lion (aka Food Liar) 5 miles away, and various and sundry upper crust groceries within 30-45 minutes in Matinsburg, WV and Hagerstown Md.

Btw, the new Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker is working its magic on 2 dozen chicken thighs as I type this. It has it's own wifi, so I can monitor the internal temp from my phone. The meat may suck, but so far I'm very impressed by the tech!

Last edited:
Throw a shovel full of soot or fine ash on the opening to the nest. That will take care of the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Had a nasty nest two summers ago beneath a giant (immovable) landscaping rock. Drilled me pretty good while trimming. I put out several traps and caught a hundred or so, but the nest was still productive. Emptied multiple cans of wasp spray as well -- still active.

Finally ordered Delta Dust, applied with a "puffer" duster. You wait until dark when the nest is settled, then puff away generously at the entrance. The dust cloud carries into the nest. I did it on two consecutive nights and the nest was completely dead in two days.

I live in Berkeley Springs. We have a Food Lion (aka Food Liar) 5 miles away, and various and sundry upper crust groceries within 30-45 minutes in Matinsburg, WV and Hagerstown Md.

Btw, the new Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker is working its magic on 2 dozen chicken thighs as I type this. It has it's own wifi, so I can monitor the internal temp from my phone. The meat may suck, but so far I'm very impressed by the tech!
Update: very tasty chicken thighs. 185 internal temp and very moist. Juuuust short of falling off the bone. Mwaaah!

You always look next to the bone with grilled chicken to make sure it is not pink. On this stuff, it was pink from the outside in due to the smoke. Damn. 99cents a pound, just perfect.

And the verdict is in: even a moron can make tasty smoked thighs with this smoker.

No rubs or fancy stuff for this first batch. Olive oil and Montreal Chicken seasoning.

I'll be eating them all week!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT