ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Downsizing

MarkPSU

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Anyone have experience with downsizing in their retirement? I'll be 65 next year and have been looking at new cottage homes. I like that they're in a condo type setting, but not attached like condos. I love my house, where it's located, etc......But, I'm trying to project life for the next 10 years. Moving would drop my annual costs by a net of $24,000 a year. Over ten years that's a gross income of 300k. That's a ton of money to have available for trips, entertaining, healthcare, etc. I still love doing yard work and projects around the house, but in 5-10 years, who knows. For those of you that did downsize, were you happy with the move? Did any of you regret giving up your homes? I keep thinking that I hate to give up what I worked so hard to get, but I also don't want to be unable to do things in retirement because I'm spending a lot of money to keep the house.

I am 10 years from that, but my mother lives in the type of subdivision you described - she loves it. There are rules (at least in her place) about what she can do on the outside (bushes, flowers etc) and they have a service that covers snow removal, grass cutting, etc.

I say do it - $2,000/month (based on your numbers) is nothing to sneeze at. If you enjoyed yardwork, you will be overwhelmed with the opportunity to sit in your living room sipping coffee and watching out the window as others do it in the cold and heat.

I traded my wife for a younger, smaller version and have quite satisfied with the change.

Seriously, having the same thoughts maybe in a couple of years. Interested in the feedback on this thread.

I keep thinking that I hate to give up what I worked so hard to get, but I also don't want to be unable to do things in retirement because I'm spending a lot of money to keep the house.

You worked hard, but your hard work added to the value you are getting in return when you sell. You have to decide what you want to do with the rest of your healthy years -- travel (do stuff) or yard work. My parents live in a 3,000 sf home and I don't see them leaving it on their own. At least not while my mom is still alive. Dad would probably downsize in a heartbeat though.

Anyone have experience with downsizing in their retirement? I'll be 65 next year and have been looking at new cottage homes. I like that they're in a condo type setting, but not attached like condos. I love my house, where it's located, etc......But, I'm trying to project life for the next 10 years. Moving would drop my annual costs by a net of $24,000 a year. Over ten years that's a gross income of 300k. That's a ton of money to have available for trips, entertaining, healthcare, etc. I still love doing yard work and projects around the house, but in 5-10 years, who knows. For those of you that did downsize, were you happy with the move? Did any of you regret giving up your homes? I keep thinking that I hate to give up what I worked so hard to get, but I also don't want to be unable to do things in retirement because I'm spending a lot of money to keep the house.
Do it. The sooner the better. The biggest advantage for me was now I live among neighbors with whom I have things in common. No more swing sets in neighbors yards or little brats to contend with.

The most difficult part is getting rid of the stuff you accumulated over so many years. Kids don't want it but it's too good to toss. Lots of memories.

I laugh at friends who rent storage units to store their stuff when they downsize.

I'm nowhere near retirement, but my parents downsized after their 4 kids moved out.. which was 10 years prior to my dad's retirement.

Our old house was 3,000+ sq ft, and their current one is closer to 1,800 sq ft. While for everyday use, the house is more than big enough for them, but my dad has some regrets on building a little too small.

My brother and his wife live in seattle, my sister and her fiancé live in DC, and my girlfriend and I just relocated to the Raleigh area this year. We all go back to visit pretty often, and they have a couple guest bedrooms, however they are on the smaller side. My other brother, his wife and 2 kids live in the Pittsburgh area close to my parents, and my parents house is filled with kids toys/cribs, etc.

We have a pretty large extended family (my dad has 3 sisters and a brother and my mom has 2 sisters and a brother) and my parents end up hosting a lot of holiday gatherings since they are the most well off of the rest of their siblings.

So long story short, I would recommend that you think about whether you are downsizing too small. I think you would know your situation, but something to consider would be holiday gatherings and being able to host kids/grandkids. My dad is actually already considering putting an addition on to make the kitchen area larger and he's also thought about adding a 3rd garage. They've only lived there for 10 years.

Reactions: GSPMax and Madsol
The most difficult part is getting rid of the stuff you accumulated over so many years. Kids don't want it but it's too good to toss. Lots of memories.

I laugh at friends who rent storage units to store their stuff when they downsize.
Auction your stuff off. You will get something for brown furniture and collectibles, but you will be net negative after a few years in...storage.

Reactions: bytir and bison13
A lot of dynamics come into play! We have a five bedroom home, however, we also have four children, one who lives 1 hour away, then Atlanta, NYC, and Boston. The 9.5 grand children and great neighbors who handle things while we are away, are part of the dynamic! Last but not least, although I only archery hunt, walked out my back yard and have killed several bucks, including an 11 point with inside 17" spread. Just this AM, ten gobblers in the back yard and I live inside the city limits! Why would I want to move?;)

Reactions: psrurock
The house cleaning part is attractive. There's a ton of stuff I'd like to get to the curb or sell.

We have exactly what you describe here in State College over in Tofftrees. There are restrictions regarding any changes on the outside (shrubs Plants etc) which require getting approval. It's your house but you give up some your freedom to just do what you normally do on the other hand you can just lock the door and go travel not worring about any snow removal, grass cutting etc. In addition there's personalities involved in Condo Associations that can make it unpleasant especially when decisions are made by a few board members. So on the whole, we love our house, location and amenities i.e.: Club House, Pool and other services but it's not perfect as you give up some control to others that you currently take for granted now. Oh and by the way "Be prepared to Get Rid Of A lot Of Your Stuff" It's been three years and unfortunately I still can't get my second car in the garage but on the positive I now have the time and though it's going slow I hope to clean it out this spring.

PS. Most of it is my wife's

We downsized 11 years ago to a condo at the age of 52 when our only child went off to college. Best move we ever made but there will be times when you will miss the extra room and yard. One piece of caution -- find a place that has a basement and is not built on a slab. Ones built on a slab have almost no storage space. We are not packrats but we are extremely glad to have a basement with tons of storage room for wine, decorations, keepsakes, etc. Only big negative is the HOA fee which never seems to shrink but always increases every year or so. At this time though, it is worth it not to have to mow lawn or shovel snow. If you go south for the winter, it is an extra bonus to know the place is being taken care of while you are away.

I am older than you and my wife and I still live in the same house we bought over 40 years ago. We've put on an addition and upgraded it, both inside and out. We love the location and our neighbors. We have no intention of leaving. We have friends who have downsized and some are happy, others are not. I understand the allure of an extra 300K over 10 years for traveling, etc., but I am happier in this house than I have ever been on any trip and I will continue to build memories here until death, or illness, forces me out.

I read an article in AARP magazine that talked about thinks that make your kids hate you. One of them was leaving them with a house full of stuff that they are left to deal with.

this is me from the kids perspective. My grandmother is 87 still living on her own, dad is 67, mom 66 and are still actively farming. I will most likely be the one who handles anything with either estate. I've tried having discussions with both grandma and dad about starting to let go of stuff but dad swears he needs all of it to farm since none of us kids are around to help and my grandmother thinks everything she owns is 'an antique' and 'probably worth lots of money'.

While they are both partially right with certain items, neither one of them is willing to even get rid of one piece of hundreds or thousands of things. I wont hate my family as the article states but the stress and time involved compounded by the grief could definitely be alleviated if they would start letting some things go.

Start today... simplify, downsize... get rid of crap you are storing. Cut all of it loose. 75% of the things you have you are not using and have not used for years.... Keep what you need and use. Donate, charity, give it away...sell it...it...Craiglist for free is the easiest garbage removal service on the planet.

Go to your closet... if you have not warn it in a year.... toss....same with all your other crap....crap... that is what most of it is...

Saying it is really important is just bs to keep you holding on to it...

Get to a smaller place today.... It will be the best move you have ever made.....ever.

Reactions: psufan1999797
I'm nowhere near retirement, but my parents downsized after their 4 kids moved out.. which was 10 years prior to my dad's retirement.

Our old house was 3,000+ sq ft, and their current one is closer to 1,800 sq ft. While for everyday use, the house is more than big enough for them, but my dad has some regrets on building a little too small.

My brother and his wife live in seattle, my sister and her fiancé live in DC, and my girlfriend and I just relocated to the Raleigh area this year. We all go back to visit pretty often, and they have a couple guest bedrooms, however they are on the smaller side. My other brother, his wife and 2 kids live in the Pittsburgh area close to my parents, and my parents house is filled with kids toys/cribs, etc.

We have a pretty large extended family (my dad has 3 sisters and a brother and my mom has 2 sisters and a brother) and my parents end up hosting a lot of holiday gatherings since they are the most well off of the rest of their siblings.

So long story short, I would recommend that you think about whether you are downsizing too small. I think you would know your situation, but something to consider would be holiday gatherings and being able to host kids/grandkids. My dad is actually already considering putting an addition on to make the kitchen area larger and he's also thought about adding a 3rd garage. They've only lived there for 10 years.

I'm not close to retirement either but what you wrote about being able to host kids and grandkids is what will likely keep us in our 4 BR house for a long, long time. I want our 2 girls (and someday their families) always to have a place to stay when they visit, esp. if they end up having several kids each and they visit at the same time. We have to stay in a hotel when we visit my in-laws because they downsized. And I know that bothers them.

Reactions: gslachta
I read an article in AARP magazine that talked about thinks that make your kids hate you. One of them was leaving them with a house full of stuff that they are left to deal with.

The fortunate part of that, at least for now, is that I usually go there to help them decorate for the different seasons throughout the year. So I already know what they have. And I've been slowly convincing them to sell, give away or throw away stuff they never use. I have all of their decorations organized in bins on shelves in the basement. At least 50% of it has value (department 56, longaberger) though not what mom paid. And they do have a will and have directed certain items to certain people.

My biggest problem is I'm co-executor with my brother who lives in California. So that makes me pretty much on my own but requiring his autograph on stuff (unless he gives me power of attorney at that time).

I'm not close to retirement either but what you wrote about being able to host kids and grandkids is what will likely keep us in our 4 BR house for a long, long time. I want our 2 girls (and someday their families) always to have a place to stay when they visit, esp. if they end up having several kids each and they visit at the same time. We have to stay in a hotel when we visit my in-laws because they downsized. And I know that bothers them.
IMO it's not very practical for 2 people to live in a 3,000 sq ft house just so there's room to host the kids for a few days each year. 6+ people can fit nicely into a 2,000 sq ft place for that amount of time. Better yet, you can go to their place for the holidays.

The fortunate part of that, at least for now, is that I usually go there to help them decorate for the different seasons throughout the year. So I already know what they have. And I've been slowly convincing them to sell, give away or throw away stuff they never use. I have all of their decorations organized in bins on shelves in the basement. At least 50% of it has value (department 56, longaberger) though not what mom paid. And they do have a will and have directed certain items to certain people.

My biggest problem is I'm co-executor with my brother who lives in California. So that makes me pretty much on my own but requiring his autograph on stuff (unless he gives me power of attorney at that time).
It sucks to be the executor. You do all the work and others whine that they're getting screwed.

Ok. Just did it. Went from 4850 sf to 2700 sf. We have extra space for relatives/guests and one of the bedrooms is now a combo study guest bedroom. While i still have a three car garage my previous was way over sized and I miss that. Costs are considerably less

Reactions: bdgan

One thing to keep in mind is that "downsizing" means different things to different people. I retired just over a year ago; for me it meant getting away from a large mortgage payment in MD (I'd only had that house for 10 years), and not having neighbors two feet away. Also getting away from MD, but that's a different issue. Square footage wasn't even a consideration for me.

A childhood friend is retiring in a matter of weeks, and for her it's all about size (isn't it always!). She's also moving "back home" from the Harrisburg area, and her monthly $$ outlay won't change significantly.

IOW, determine what is specifically important to you. Could be money, could be how much cleaning/yard care/etc. you'll have or want to do, could be location. Also consider how much room you'll need for entertaining or hosting visitors. BTW, the old real estate adage of location will play a large role in finding your best option.

One thing they all have in common, though (as others have mentioned), is that you need to start getting rid of things NOW! Make a list of all the "valuables" you want to keep for your children or other family. Offer them up right now. If there are no takers, they won't want them when you start your dirt nap either. Donate all that stuff to Goodwill/Salvation Army/whoever and take the tax write off.

Reactions: LionJim
This is a great thread. My wife and I always talk about whether to downsize or not. Our kids are all out of the house now but my wife does not like the idea of being in a condo type complex with neighbors all around us and any 55 and over community with SF homes in our area is almost as expensive as the house we own now.

My parents went through this recently...not really a downsize but a "lateral" move to a house of similar size in a 55 and older community (more like 75 and older) in order to have most of what they need on one floor (because of health reasons). I remember my parents asking us kids if we wanted things that meant something to them but us kids couldn't care less about and had no interest. I felt guilty turning down offers to take the items. My parents ended up auctioning off all but the few things they REALLY wanted to keep...sad day for sure. Soon after, my Dad passed and now we are glad my Mom is where she is. She doesn't have to worry about yard work or shoveling snow and there are lots of other neighbors in the same situation as her so there is a lot to do in her community and even though it's more house than she needs, it comes in handy when my siblings and I go to visit her.

Reactions: Madsol and bdgan

Circumstances forced me to downsize. I hate it. Nothing like home. I lost a big part of me when I left that day. Memories in every corner, good and bad, but they were my memories, my wife’s memories and my kids memories.

I had my mom in hospice when she died. She asked to go home her last day. Now that I know what she was thinking I regret my decision even more.

F money. Choose happiness.

Two houses in Mrs KG's case--and they were flea marketers.:eek:

Reactions: bdgan
When you find the condo/townhome you like, make sure you check (or have your agent/atty check) on the following (in no order of priority):

(1) into the HOA's board members. Simply call the HOA president and ask them how well the board gets along. Some are very poorly run and make very bad decisions that lead to big problems that fall back on the owners.

(2) have sale listings recently increased dramatically or is the turnover normal (remember - your RE agent should be able to tell you not just about the condo but also about the HOA/community you're moving into)

(3) ask the HOA for its maintenance fees and assessments to owners over the last 10 years. Check to see if maintenance fee has recently jumped very high in lump or over the last few years, which could be a sign of a pending improvement that is necessary. Check to see if the maintenance fee just constantly goes up. This matters a whole host of reasons: (1) tight fixed budget as you get older; (2) less buyer friendly; (3) neighbors can't afford to maintain property. Also check to how much and how often the owners are "assessed." Ask if the HOA permits renting, subletting, etc.

(4) check lawsuits at the magistrate (name for PA small claims court) to see how often the HOA is suing for assessments and fees and check for county level lawsuits

(5) take a contractor with you on a tour. Sometimes these townhomes look nice merely because they are new construction, but they can be poorly insulated, have crappy windows, and insufficient hvac.

This is a great topic and everyone has contributed so much good advice and ideas.
I am actually ten years ahead of most of you at 75. I retired in 2000 so I have had almost 20 years of living through this debate.
I still live in Ct. because I like living here and I have a nice house with a full basement workshop for all of my toys and projects. I fish in my 4 acre pond and hunt in the backyard for deer. I have saltwater 45 minutes away and more freshwater fishing for a lifetime in Ct. and NY. A big reason for staying is the dozen doctors I have locally and the other dozen I have at the VA and the Yale Medical School who uses the VA Hospital as a teaching facility. I can't duplicate this level of medical skill in the Carolina's or Florida.
Once the winter really sets in by mid-January I go to Florida for ten weeks. So as it stands, I have the best of most everything I like.
But it does cost much more money. I could move south to one of the Carolina's coast line communities near a decent sized town and then go to Florida for six weeks, have the same sized house for less than Ct. and far less taxes, saving more cash flow. Or just move to Florida in a same size house within a few miles of the coast. This will probably happen in the next five years.
I am doing many of the other suggestions though to get ready such as cleaning up the house, handling a few repairs, getting rid of stuff, having the two daughters decide what they want, etc.
One item not mentioned was having a death plan. This is a notebook with everything I do in it from all of the auto pay accounts, passwords and IDs, financial info, VA items, who to notify, "how to handle" Q & As, etc. The wife and daughters supply the Qs and I supply the As.
So I am trying to get as much cleaned up now so I can move when I want and if I die there is a written plan for the wife and kids on what to do.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Good that you're projecting. That said, don't feel that you have to rush into a decision just yet.

When I’m with the ladies, I try to convince them that I’ve been rightsized, not downsized. They don’t buy it. :(

Reactions: gslachta
Everybody's mileage will vary but I love living in smaller, simpler space. We live in one-third of the space we used to, but it's well organized space and has everything we need.

A small kitchen is actually a lot more fun to cook in than a large kitchen. My wife and I both like small cozy spaces rather than big drafty rooms. Vacuuming takes like 15 minutes for the whole house.

We have to make decisions constantly about what fits -- every time some new object comes into the house, another object has to leave to make room for it. It kind of imposes a discipline on you, kind of like having a small desk.

The other big benefit of small is financial. Utilities are less, taxes are less, so the small house helped us retire early. We still work but only as much as we want to, and we travel any time we want.

I do think a lot of people feel cramped in small houses, especially if they're used to cathedral ceilings and the big open spaces of large subdivision type homes. It's not for everybody.

Everybody's mileage will vary but I love living in smaller, simpler space. We live in one-third of the space we used to, but it's well organized space and has everything we need.

A small kitchen is actually a lot more fun to cook in than a large kitchen. My wife and I both like small cozy spaces rather than big drafty rooms. Vacuuming takes like 15 minutes for the whole house.

We have to make decisions constantly about what fits -- every time some new object comes into the house, another object has to leave to make room for it. It kind of imposes a discipline on you, kind of like having a small desk.

The other big benefit of small is financial. Utilities are less, taxes are less, so the small house helped us retire early. We still work but only as much as we want to, and we travel any time we want.

I do think a lot of people feel cramped in small houses, especially if they're used to cathedral ceilings and the big open spaces of large subdivision type homes. It's not for everybody.

There's a thing called minimalism. Some people are way into it but it sounds like you and the wife are part way into it, as I am.

If I have something I neither need nor really want then I don't see the point in owning it.

In the past, sometimes I'd come across something I forgot I even had, which means if I needed it I wouldn't have used it anyway. It was events like that that drove me to just start getting rid of stuff.

In the process of making the big move from State College to Florida. Two years ago we built a 1300 square foot house in Fl with the idea of building our primary (smaller) house in NC. Decided that it didn't make much sense so we decided to build a bigger house in the same community in Fl and sell the smaller house.

So this past summer we started clearing out the 30 years of accumulation by selling on facebook and taking to the curb. We have another summer to finish. It is not fun but long overdue. Selling a lot of furniture, other stuff, and a lot on Lake Gaston in NC.

Our community in Fl is great. Love our neighbors for the first time in 30 years. A lot of commonality with the folks living in the community.

The process is a hugh pain in the butt but should pay off in the long run. Do it, the sooner the better while you still can.

When you find the condo/townhome you like, make sure you check (or have your agent/atty check) on the following (in no order of priority):

(1) into the HOA's board members. Simply call the HOA president and ask them how well the board gets along. Some are very poorly run and make very bad decisions that lead to big problems that fall back on the owners.

(2) have sale listings recently increased dramatically or is the turnover normal (remember - your RE agent should be able to tell you not just about the condo but also about the HOA/community you're moving into)

(3) ask the HOA for its maintenance fees and assessments to owners over the last 10 years. Check to see if maintenance fee has recently jumped very high in lump or over the last few years, which could be a sign of a pending improvement that is necessary. Check to see if the maintenance fee just constantly goes up. This matters a whole host of reasons: (1) tight fixed budget as you get older; (2) less buyer friendly; (3) neighbors can't afford to maintain property. Also check to how much and how often the owners are "assessed." Ask if the HOA permits renting, subletting, etc.

(4) check lawsuits at the magistrate (name for PA small claims court) to see how often the HOA is suing for assessments and fees and check for county level lawsuits

(5) take a contractor with you on a tour. Sometimes these townhomes look nice merely because they are new construction, but they can be poorly insulated, have crappy windows, and insufficient hvac.

Good advice....

Remember Disney's master planned community called Celebration? It appears that it's now a legal nightmare for the residents.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/celeb...ommunity-of-tomorrow-became-a-total-nightmare

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT