ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Disney Alligator

This question has been running around my head and probably is a question for demlion or other lawyers here who specialize in these types of cases. Is a sign like "No Swimming" sufficent to cover all your bases of warning people not to go into the water? Or for example is it better to have "Warning Alligators" sign and "Warning poisonous snakes" and "Warning brain eating amoeba in water" and "Warning agricultural chemical runoff area" and "Warning sun exposure here can cause cancer" basically signs for every type of "event" that could cause liability? Actually curious about this since we do live in a litigious world now. Is there 1 or just a few signs that cover most liability in warnings or do they all need to be spelled out? Also I would assume it's different by state but you obviously cannot put these signs in just 1 place they would need to put a certain amount of feet apart in the areas?

Good questions.
I still believe that the "No Swimming" sign was too vague. "Stay out of Water" would have been more succinct and to the point.
But then if they didn't want anyone to go near the water they probably shouldn't have combed beach sands leading down to it.
Just a tough thing all the way around.
One thing is for certain there would be huge fines and punishment for people/guests feeding gators off the balconies.

Reactions: bwifan
One part of this I don't understand....not that this matters but...they said they found the body "intact". Everyone is saying that evening is prime feeding time so why did the gator snatch the kid and then not eat him (sorry...not trying to be disrespectful but I am curious).

EDIT: Okay, after looking through some articles about other gator attacks it was probably that the gator thought it was something else and just grabbed him and after dragging him to the bottom realized it wasn't what the gator thought it was?
Gators and crocs cache food after they have killed it. They wait until it's in a more 'digestible' state before eating

Okay. I'll be "that guy".

I have been to Florida numerous times. Until this tragedy, I was unaware of the immediate danger being around shallow fresh water at dusk presented.

I've walked along the beach even with No Swimming signs up, so I can definitely picture myself having no problem doing the same along a man made lake at a world famous resort.

That could easily have been my own 4 year old. Easily.

No offense, but how could you be unaware? That is just unimagineable, imho. Incredible. Sorry to have to say, too.

They would be liable if they created the condition and failed to warn you. Your hypothetical ignores that part of the story.

They might also be liable if they specifically knew of poisonous snakes in a particular area and failed to warn/protect you.

Keep in mind that Disney invites you onto their property. A very high duty of care is owed under the law.
It doesn't ignore anything. What if you get bit by a pigmy rattler while walking out of the Swan and Dolphin hotel? Disney didn't do anything to create that situation. The snake is native to the area and was there for thousands of years before Disney was built. Given the transient nature of wild animals it's not reasonable to expect Disney to eradicate every wild creature that can bite or sting you. It simply isn't

Reactions: malanoce
Could have used this guy up there.

Trapper Nelson:
JD%20park%20canoe%20trip%20078b.JPG

JOD-Trapper_gator.jpg

Good question and I wondered the same thing but didn't know how to word it without being crass. Good job.

My understanding is that alligators often will catch prey when the opportunity arises and then "store it" for later consumption.

It doesn't ignore anything. What if you get bit by a pigmy rattler while walking out of the Swan and Dolphin hotel? Disney didn't do anything to create that situation. The snake is native to the area and was there for thousands of years before Disney was built. Given the transient nature of wild animals it's not reasonable to expect Disney to eradicate every wild creature that can bite or sting you. It simply isn't

No lagoon = no alligators. No beach = no wading. Disney created the entire environment unlike the example you give.

This question has been running around my head and probably is a question for demlion or other lawyers here who specialize in these types of cases. Is a sign like "No Swimming" sufficent to cover all your bases of warning people not to go into the water? Or for example is it better to have "Warning Alligators" sign and "Warning poisonous snakes" and "Warning brain eating amoeba in water" and "Warning agricultural chemical runoff area" and "Warning sun exposure here can cause cancer" basically signs for every type of "event" that could cause liability? Actually curious about this since we do live in a litigious world now. Is there 1 or just a few signs that cover most liability in warnings or do they all need to be spelled out? Also I would assume it's different by state but you obviously cannot put these signs in just 1 place they would need to put a certain amount of feet apart in the areas?

The lawyer answer is it depends. The boiled down simple issue is what notice was provided to the person reading the sign? Signs are meant to inform you or direct you to take a specific action so that you can make an informed, appropriate decision about your future conduct (speed limits, handicapped parking, no diving too shall, etc.). You can make a common sense argument that "no swimming" does not adequately warn of the danger that was present. I.E. do not swim could mean no lifeguard, it could mean boats or jetskis are in the area so you cannot swim, it could mean pollution, it could mean electrical wires present, or it could mean dangerous predator lurking about. Disney is in the best position to provide the reader/guest with the information necessary so that the reader can make an informed decision about the conditions of the lake. They already do this by having height restrictions on their rides. Those restrictions essentially tell the consumer that Disney knows from its own engineering tests/inspection that it is not safe for you to get on this ride if you are under 3 feet tall, therefore Disney will not let you on it.

So, does a "no swimming" sign really give notice to the individual that if you go in the water you could get killed by an alligator? No. And I would think that is a very specific thing that most people would want notice about (like the height requirements on the rides) considering this appears to be private property that is controlled by a corporation that is charged with a higher duty of care to insure guest safety as they are providing lodging/innkeeper services.

And that's the second and probably biggest issue: if you can show that Disney knew or should have known that alligators were present in the pond and the best warning you gave guests was "don't swim," that's weak, lazy, and not very safe. Why? Because I can see the giant hole ahead of where I am walking, I can see that a gallon of soda has been spilled on the grocery isle I am about to walk down, I know sharks live in the ocean and I am currently swimming in the ocean, I can see the sun shining and starting to burn my bare skin so I better put on sun screen, and I can see that this pool has no water so I probably should not dive in. No one is going to see an alligator swimming in a murky lake that was made by and apparently controlled by a resort/entertainment complex who chose to put a makeshift beach on it that would draw people closer to it. Therefore you need to warn me if you know or had reason to know that an alligator was or could be in there.

Now if you want to get more intricate, you can do a Florida statutes and case law search to determine what the regulations are about warnings for alligators in bodies of water. This will likely bring up some elements of "control" in regard to who owned the lake and what duties a private individual has with regard to riparian (water) rights in these circumstances, compounded by the higher duty of providing lodging/innkeeper services and creating an attractive nuisance type atmosphere with the beach setting. I find it hard to believe that the city, county, or state has any ownership, control, or duties over this lake, but you never know. As I pointed out yesterday in my post, the best way to litigate this case from the plaintiff's perspective is with the recently adopted Reptile Theory. Many posters on this board have already bought this train of thought (I confess I am probably one of them). The defense will have their own arguments and perhaps they will get saved by some statute that discharges their duties by merely posting a do not swim sign. But if they knew or had reason to know there were alligators in the lake and the best you could come up with was "don't swim," that's a hard sell to 6 jurors (Florida uses 6 in civil court, not 12 like many other states).

Reactions: bwifan
The lawyer answer is it depends. The boiled down simple issue is what notice was provided to the person reading the sign? Signs are meant to inform you or direct you to take a specific action so that you can make an informed, appropriate decision about your future conduct (speed limits, handicapped parking, no diving too shall, etc.). You can make a common sense argument that "no swimming" does not adequately warn of the danger that was present. I.E. do not swim could mean no lifeguard, it could mean boats or jetskis are in the area so you cannot swim, it could mean pollution, it could mean electrical wires present, or it could mean dangerous predator lurking about. Disney is in the best position to provide the reader/guest with the information necessary so that the reader can make an informed decision about the conditions of the lake. They already do this by having height restrictions on their rides. Those restrictions essentially tell the consumer that Disney knows from its own engineering tests/inspection that it is not safe for you to get on this ride if you are under 3 feet tall, therefore Disney will not let you on it.

So, does a "no swimming" sign really give notice to the individual that if you go in the water you could get killed by an alligator? No. And I would think that is a very specific thing that most people would want notice about (like the height requirements on the rides) considering this appears to be private property that is controlled by a corporation that is charged with a higher duty of care to insure guest safety as they are providing lodging/innkeeper services.

And that's the second and probably biggest issue: if you can show that Disney knew or should have known that alligators were present in the pond and the best warning you gave guests was "don't swim," that's weak, lazy, and not very safe. Why? Because I can see the giant hole ahead of where I am walking, I can see that a gallon of soda has been spilled on the grocery isle I am about to walk down, I know sharks live in the ocean and I am currently swimming in the ocean, I can see the sun shining and starting to burn my bare skin so I better put on sun screen, and I can see that this pool has no water so I probably should not dive in. No one is going to see an alligator swimming in a murky lake that was made by and apparently controlled by a resort/entertainment complex who chose to put a makeshift beach on it that would draw people closer to it. Therefore you need to warn me if you know or had reason to know that an alligator was or could be in there.

Now if you want to get more intricate, you can do a Florida statutes and case law search to determine what the regulations are about warnings for alligators in bodies of water. This will likely bring up some elements of "control" in regard to who owned the lake and what duties a private individual has with regard to riparian (water) rights in these circumstances, compounded by the higher duty of providing lodging/innkeeper services and creating an attractive nuisance type atmosphere with the beach setting. I find it hard to believe that the city, county, or state has any ownership, control, or duties over this lake, but you never know. As I pointed out yesterday in my post, the best way to litigate this case from the plaintiff's perspective is with the recently adopted Reptile Theory. Many posters on this board have already bought this train of thought (I confess I am probably one of them). The defense will have their own arguments and perhaps they will get saved by some statute that discharges their duties by merely posting a do not swim sign. But if they knew or had reason to know there were alligators in the lake and the best you could come up with was "don't swim," that's a hard sell to 6 jurors (Florida uses 6 in civil court, not 12 like many other states).

Well it'll never go that far in court. Disney will settle this as soon as they possibly can, and for millions of dollars. That's the reality even if Disney had an air tight defense. What about implied assumption of the risk as a defense if they did hypothetically take it further? The classic law school example is of attending a baseball game, you assume the risk of foul balls and the team is not liable if you are hit. They don't have to expressly warn you of dangers you should be aware of. Are alligators in Florida swamp lands not something you should be aware of without the need for warning?

No offense, but how could you be unaware? That is just unimagineable, imho. Incredible. Sorry to have to say, too.
Because I'm "that guy" who didn't know any better.

I guess you've gone your entire life without ever having said to yourself, "Wow, that was stupid! What was I thinking?"

That's even more incredible, IMO.

Reactions: allthingslion
No lagoon = no alligators. No beach = no wading. Disney created the entire environment unlike the example you give.
It's no different. Disney planted shrubs around the hotels, they watered, manicured and created an environment that attracted prey items and thus predators. Do you have a clue as to what the area that encompasses WDW looked like back before the development of the park? Do you have any idea how much modification has been done to the entire area and yet wild animals still persist and thrive?

Reactions: EPC FAN
Here is this family in a picture that must be a year old because the toddler is more like a baby.

Reactions: step.eng69
Well it'll never go that far in court. Disney will settle this as soon as they possibly can, and for millions of dollars. That's the reality even if Disney had an air tight defense. What about implied assumption of the risk as a defense if they did hypothetically take it further? The classic law school example is of attending a baseball game, you assume the risk of foul balls and the team is not liable if you are hit. They don't have to expressly warn you of dangers you should be aware of. Are alligators in Florida swamp lands not something you should be aware of without the need for warning?

The problem is this wasn't swamp land. It was a man-made lake maintained by a company who invites guests to stay on the grounds and went so far as to put a GD beach near the water. I would never argue assumption of the risk in a death case, much less one involving a child, unless you had a very special set of circumstances where the consequences were brutally obvious to the deceased party. For example, a completely sober person who chooses to get into a car with a driver who they know is extremely intoxicated and that person subsequently gets into a car accident and kills the plaintiff. Or, someone who broke into a condemned pool area, knew the pool had no water, and still decided to showoff to his buddies by jumping off the high dive. Even in those two cases I am not so sure I hang my hat on that defense to win the day in civil court. In this case, IMO, it's too big of a leap to ask a jury to "harm" the plaintiff further by saying there was a sign, the sign was good enough, and therefore the kid and his parents asked for it. In theory telling people who suffer a loss that they were stupid at the time the event happened works on an internet message board, but in the courtroom it doesn't go over very well, especially when someone is dead.

It's no different. Disney planted shrubs around the hotels, they watered, manicured and created an environment that attracted prey items and thus predators. Do you have a clue as to what the area that encompasses WDW looked like back before the development of the park? Do you have any idea how much modification has been done to the entire area and yet wild animals still persist and thrive?

If you've been reading this thread you'd know that the facts suggest a different outcome and present a different scenario than you're depicting.

Distinguishing factors: Disney was aware that guests were feeding alligators. They were aware that such feeding heightened the risk of alligator attack. Disney created sand beaches down to waters edge and placed chairs, etc. on the beaches thus inviting guests to come to the water. Disney knew guests waded in the alligator infested waters (see promo video). Disney took no steps to stop such wading. Disney failed to warn of the alligator danger.

In short, Disney was on notice and failed to meet its legal duty to its invitees. Its a pretty straightforward case, actually.

Your example is quite different. I'm sorry if you don't see it.

If you've been reading this thread you'd know that the facts suggest a different outcome and present a different scenario than you're depicting.

Distinguishing factors: Disney was aware that guests were feeding alligators. They were aware that such feeding heightened the risk of alligator attack. Disney created sand beaches down to waters edge and placed chairs, etc. on the beaches thus inviting guests to come to the water. Disney knew guests waded in the alligator infested waters (see promo video). Disney took no steps to stop such wading. Disney failed to warn of the alligator danger.

In short, Disney was on notice and failed to meet its legal duty to its invitees. Its a pretty straightforward case, actually.

Your example is quite different. I'm sorry if you don't see it.

It's not that no one see's it.... it's just no one believes anything you say... If it comes from a lawyer like demlion or biochem than we believe it.

Reactions: malanoce
I just played a round of golf in Livermore, CA a few weeks ago that had rattlesnake warning signs everywhere.

Grass: Did you play Poppy Ridge, Wente or Ruby Hills? I'll make a mental note to cease looking for wayward balls when I play any of those courses.

It seems like this article was written for judgmental people like you.

Parents Who Suffer Tragedies Do Not Need or Want Your Cruel and Pointless Criticism

It’s one of the ghastliest, most gut-wrenching and devastating news stories I’ve ever heard in my life. A two-year-old boy at a Disney resort lake was grabbed by an alligator and dragged into the water. His father, standing right beside him when the attack occurred, tried to wrestle the child free but was no match for the eight-foot beast. They recovered the boy’s body on Wednesday.

As a parent of kids right around that age, it’s impossible to refrain from picturing myself in that situation. But it’s too awful to even imagine. It’s worse than my worst parenting nightmare. All I can do – all any of us can do – is pray for the poor mother and father who will have to live the rest of their lives somehow coping with the gaping hole left by their child’s death, and the unspeakable horror of the incident forever branded on their souls.

There is nothing more to be said. But, unfortunately, that never stops people from saying more.

This morning, before the press conference announcing that there is “no question” the boy was killed, I kept checking social media for updates on the story, clinging to the impossible hope that maybe he’d be discovered alive somehow. I found the updates I wanted, but I also found other predictable things I didn’t want. A number of people apparently thought the grizzly death of a child was a prime opportunity to fish for retweets by making topical jokes about the situation. I’ll spare you examples because I don’t think they are necessary.

Click below for entire story.
http://www.theblaze.com/contributio...d-or-want-your-cruel-and-pointless-criticism/
Great article.

It's not that no one see's it.... it's just no one believes anything you say... If it comes from a lawyer like demlion or biochem than we believe it.

Black Elmo may not be popular with a lot of folks here but, in this particular case, he is absolutely right. Disney will settle this case, not just because a trial would be a massive PR black eye, but because both liability and damages are obvious. It is mind boggling that Disney allowed, much less encouraged, folks to hang out on that beach and let their kids wade in the water.

Reactions: JimNazium
Black Elmo may not be popular with a lot of folks here but, in this particular case, he is absolutely right. Disney will settle this case, not just because a trial would be a massive PR black eye, but because both liability and damages are obvious. It is mind boggling that Disney allowed, much less encouraged, folks to hang out on that beach and let their kids wade in the water.

He is saying the sky is blue. No kidding Disney will pay for the death of a child on their property. I don't think Disney could or even would allow this to go anywhere. Money isn't the issue here and hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Here is this family in a picture that must be a year old because the toddler is more like a baby.

The picture really touches ones heart and brings out the true grief and sorrow the family will be facing for years to come. The little boy looks like the father.

So, so sorry. I can only imagine if the child was one of my grandkids today.

Absolutely... Either way guilty or not Disney wants this to go away, they will look to settle and get this out of the press and public eye quickly.

Isn't this what insurance is for? Even if they had signs that warned of alligators, could they account for every scenario? How many signs are enough? What if the people approached the water from a direction where they couldn't see the sign. What if there was mud or other dirt on the sign? What if a fat guy was standing directly in front of the sign. What if the people couldn't read English or understand clearly what the sign meant?

The point is, there are dozens upon dozens of scenarios you may not be able to account for with preventative signing. To do so would require 1000s of signs in multiple variations with proper lighting for all conditions, maintained in perfect condition just to possibly avoid some sort of liability. Wouldn't it make more sense to maintain the proper amount of liability insurance and rely on common sense and calculated probabilities that make these scenarios highly unlikely?

Castaway Cay...

35972CCWarning1.jpg

I have snorkeled here many times.

You are responsible for your children. Mine has snorkeled and swam with me, sharks, manatees, jellyfish and other creatures. You have to be vigilant. Now I didn't mention if the tide comes in, a knee deep walk turns into a 21 foot pool. I warned numerous people about this with children. You also need half a wet suit at the minimum.

I guess you've gone your entire life without ever having said to yourself, "Wow, that was stupid! What was I thinking?"

OK. Like I said, no offense. But...I no it sounded different. I just find it very hard to understand.......

I don't know what else I can add.

Reactions: miketd1
Isn't this what insurance is for? Even if they had signs that warned of alligators, could they account for every scenario? How many signs are enough? What if the people approached the water from a direction where they couldn't see the sign. What if there was mud or other dirt on the sign? What if a fat guy was standing directly in front of the sign. What if the people couldn't read English or understand clearly what the sign meant?

The point is, there are dozens upon dozens of scenarios you may not be able to account for with preventative signing. To do so would require 1000s of signs in multiple variations with proper lighting for all conditions, maintained in perfect condition just to possibly avoid some sort of liability. Wouldn't it make more sense to maintain the proper amount of liability insurance and rely on common sense and calculated probabilities that make these scenarios highly unlikely?
Absolutely.

However, I would make the argument that if Disney had known that a 2 year old would be chomped by an alligator on their property resulting in death, they would likely have gone ahead and printed different signs even with sufficient insurance in place.

With all due respect, I think you're being a little narrow-minded. Not everyone has the same life experience as you or is aware of the same things. I am sure there are dangers in this world that you don't know about.

Reactions: allthingslion
Great article.
Of course they don't want our criticism. That goes without saying.
Most likely they have gone thru life telling people they do not want their criticism.
So, certainly, when they do something stupid like this, they would not want our criticism.
I am not going to play that enabling game for anybody who might someday be in the same situation.
People need to wise up.

No, this is not what insurance is for. Signs and safe practices are meant to prevent tragedies. Insurance is meant to provide financial protection when tragedies occur. Those are two different things.

I think the word "reasonable" is important here. Having a sign for every possible danger, or preventing fat people from blocking the signs, are not reasonable. Having a sign that says "Stay away from water", if the water is considered dangerous, is reasonable.

Reactions: BBrown
What about implied assumption of the risk as a defense if they did hypothetically take it further?

Although I'm not a litigator, my recollection from torts class is that "attractive nuisance" is a legal doctrine that necessarily involves children as victims. The classic case of an attractive nuisance is a property owner with an empty lot cluttered with refuse, particularly an abandoned refrigerator. Kid climbs in and somehow can't get out, suffocating. I'm not sure that pond and beach in question here would constitute a nuisance. But if so, there is zero chance of defending by claiming that the victim assumed the risk of getting chomped. Assumption of risk does not apply in attractive nuisance cases.

Even if this were tried as a general negligence case, I cannot see assumption of risk applying. The victim was 2 years old. Minors that young do not possess the mental ability to make risk assessments and cannot, as a matter of law, be deemed to assume risk. I suppose one could argue that his parents assumed the risk on his behalf. They certainly did so in fact, but I am skeptical that they could do so as a matter of law. I have never heard of a vicarious assumption of risk.

Of course they don't want our criticism. That goes without saying.
Most likely they have gone thru life telling people they do not want their criticism.
So, certainly, when they do something stupid like this, they would not want our criticism.
I am not going to play that enabling game for anybody who might someday be in the same situation.
People need to wise up.
With all your knowledge and wisdom, why are you wasting your time here with all these dullards that don't seem to grasp your incredible intellect? The world desperately needs you for things so much more important than alligator litigation.

I will add to what you say...wife and I having been to Disney so many times we've lost count agree with you. If that hotel had been independently operated and 5 miles away, I would expect the water to full of gators. Being on Disney property, I would have assumed incorrectly (obviously) that they would have taken steps to ensure there were no gators in there.

Last edited:

This could go north of $100MM

These folks weren't in the wild. They were on Disney property. They were ftom Nebraska. They dont know abiut gators.

Don't put a beach leading to alligators. It invites trouble. Disney can't and won't escape their negligence by simply relying on a No Swimming sign. You'll see. Big settlement coming in this one.
There are gators all over Florida, yes even at the golf courses. Who would of thought?

No swimming is no swimming. I am sure these poor people didn't have a clue, or thought it was the most remote scenario, getting killed by a gator, in the world. I mean, I've never heard of it in my life. I know DW moves out gators when they get to a certain size anyway.

And, i don't know the circumstances, but if you've ever had a kid, they do get away from you even to the best of parents. As i understand it, the kid was being closely watched but the gator rose up and snatched the child strait away (and the father got slightly injured trying to pry the kid away from the gator).

Just a horribly unfortunate set of circumstances that added up to a horrific day.

Reactions: step.eng69
The problem is this wasn't swamp land. It was a man-made lake maintained by a company who invites guests to stay on the grounds and went so far as to put a GD beach near the water. I would never argue assumption of the risk in a death case, much less one involving a child, unless you had a very special set of circumstances where the consequences were brutally obvious to the deceased party. For example, a completely sober person who chooses to get into a car with a driver who they know is extremely intoxicated and that person subsequently gets into a car accident and kills the plaintiff. Or, someone who broke into a condemned pool area, knew the pool had no water, and still decided to showoff to his buddies by jumping off the high dive. Even in those two cases I am not so sure I hang my hat on that defense to win the day in civil court. In this case, IMO, it's too big of a leap to ask a jury to "harm" the plaintiff further by saying there was a sign, the sign was good enough, and therefore the kid and his parents asked for it. In theory telling people who suffer a loss that they were stupid at the time the event happened works on an internet message board, but in the courtroom it doesn't go over very well, especially when someone is dead.

Agree it would play horribly, why my question was purely hypothetical as there is no chance Disney doesn't resolve this as quickly and as quietly as they can. Thanks for your input though.

This could go north of $100MM
Don't think there is any way this goes north of $5 million, much less $100 million, and probably more like $2 million to $3 million. I think every state has a "Jury Verdicts Weekly" (or some other similar publication) that provides information on jury verdicts and (where available) settlements throughout the state. Litigation attorneys and judges tend to keep up with that stuff, and they tend to have a good idea of what verdicts should be for a given type of case. No amount of money will make up for the loss of this kid but, in wrongful death suits, a jury has to make SOME kind of award. A jury could go nuts and award these parents $50 million, in which event it would be widely publicized. Less publicized is the fact that huge jury awards (particularly those that are out of line with awards for similar claims) are frequently tossed out or reduced on appeal.

No, this is not what insurance is for. Signs and safe practices are meant to prevent tragedies. Insurance is meant to provide financial protection when tragedies occur. Those are two different things.

I think the word "reasonable" is important here. Having a sign for every possible danger, or preventing fat people from blocking the signs, are not reasonable. Having a sign that says "Stay away from water", if the water is considered dangerous, is reasonable.

What is the standard for when a danger is likely enough to occur that a warning is required? I posted earlier that Florida fish and game commission says its a one in 2.4 million risk of attack with harm. If one in 2.4 million is the bar requiring warning signs, I hate to know what doesn't require a sign.

There's an axiom in the law that bad cases make bad laws. The same is true with things like this. It's so horrendous that we all feel like someone must be blamed, and something must be changed. But the world is full of dangers, and if we have to warn against every one in 2.4 million you or your children encounter daily, then we'll be so inundated with signs that we'll stop taking any of them seriously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT