ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Debra Granik's film, "Leave No Trace."

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
100% Rotten Tomatoes Rating

I've posted several times about Granik's 2010 film, Winter's Bone, which I consider to be a great film about ordinary people dealing with difficult circumstances. I'm really looking forward to catching Leave No Trace this weekend, seems to be something really special.

leave-no-trace-review.jpg

I've posted several times about Granik's 2010 film, Winter's Bone, which I consider to be a great film about ordinary people dealing with difficult circumstances. I'm really looking forward to catching Leave No Trace this weekend, seems to be something really special.

Shouldn’t 0% Rotten Tomatoes be the highest approval rating?

Full agreement with you re Winter's Bone. A small masterpiece. Very interested in the new one

And what is the premise of Winter's Bone? I've heard you mention it before, but have never seen it...
Jennifer Lawrence, facing hypothermia, spots a rural cabin owned by an ex-Army Ranger who is also an avid Penn State fan. She is nursed back to health by this rugged, yet tender man and sparks fly - both in his hand built fireplace and in the bedroom.

And what is the premise of Winter's Bone? I've heard you mention it before, but have never seen it...
Teenage girl in the Ozarks has to find her meth-producing father who has either skipped bond or is dead. He put the family home up for bond so if she can't find him her family loses everything. Her mom is crazy and she takes care of two younger siblings, so she can’t just up and leave. Her family is part of a hillbilly crime group which doesn’t want the truth coming out.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Teenage girl in the Ozarks has to find her meth-producing father who has either skipped bond or is dead. He put the family home up for bond so if she can't find him her family loses everything. Her mom is crazy and she takes care of two younger siblings, so she can’t just up and leave. Her family is part of a hillbilly crime group which doesn’t want the truth coming out.
Apparently Winter's Bone is on Amazon Prime.

Does Jennifer Lawrence find Winter's BONE? Is there nudity? (One or my pre-reqs to watching movies :D)

Apparently, when we bought a 55" TV 7 years ago, it would be the only smart TV in the universe not to work with Amazon Prime. We don't want to buy a new TV as this still looks/works great, but have to look into a firestick or something.

Reactions: LionJim

giphy.gif
saw the movie several years ago, took me by surprise, it was very good.

Fire TV is just a Fire Stick on steroids. Though I guess the Fire Cube is now a fire TV on steroids

McSorley takes the snap and runs 45 yards for the td and not a trace of him to be found at the line of scrimmage.

I just watched Winters Bone via Comcast on demand last night. Was a very good movie... the only way to improve it would be to replace Jennifer Lawrence with a young Virgina Madsen.

Saw Leave No Trace this morning.

It's a very quiet film, much less plot-driven than Winter's Bone. There's no real plot, it's just a matter of waiting for the story to get to the point you know is coming.

I guess the most similar film I can think of right now is Lost in Translation, which I like very much. If you didn't care for Lost in Translation, maybe this picture isn't for you.

One thing to keep in mind is that in the end it's all about the girl, not the father. It's about her own decisions in her own life.

There are no bad guys in this film. The people in the film are all, as far as I could tell, people of integrity, honesty, and kindness. There is no politics in the film other than in perhaps one small scene.

There will be at least two Oscar nominations here, for Thomasin McKenzie, Best Actress, and Dale Dickey, for Supporting Actress. Dale Dickey, wow, just great, perfect, wow.

There is a terrific multi-scene sequence about bees and beekeeping which was very touching and heartening. That was really cool.

Anyway, I liked it very much. I still have a preference for Winter's Bone, but that is a completely different movie other than the fact the characters in both movies are not of a type often seen in cinema. There is a respect inherent in Granik's approach to the "locals" in her films which I find to be very loving. It seems that she has the ability to reach all of us by showing the travails of hard-working people, Americans all, in a culture so different that it shocks the viewers' systems and so impacts us, the viewers, all the more. You could feel that Granik was telling us that every character in the movie had his or her own story to tell.

Here's Dale Dickey and Thomasin McKenzie:

Leave-No-Trace-Movie-Still-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Just saw it. Very good and Ben Foster is great as always. It shows a lot of damaged people being very good to each other.

I liked Blindspotting (a very different film), better this year, but that’s just my taste. Both are worth seeing

I wondered how accurate it was that the Vets would go live in the wilderness. Turns out that the movie portrayal was pretty accurate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT