ADVERTISEMENT

OT - bourbon recommendation

mjh218

Aug 14, 2001
Buying a bottle of bourbon for a client. I don’t drink bourbon. Would like to get him something noteworthy. Something between $200-$300 would be fine.

Figured the all knowing board would be a good resource.

good luck with that lol
It is being released soon, though. You'll be lucky to get any though. Some places will have a lottery, or if you have a good relationship with any retailers, give them a call.

VA ABC stores have a lottery when rare releases are available and you get them at regular retail price.

Buy several bottles for that amount: Blanton’s; Four Roses Single Barrel; Angel’s Envy; Michter’s.
Four Roses Single Barrel is good...I just added that to my collection recently. Also added Bib & Tucker but haven't tried it yet.

You'll never get Pappy, it's pretty much impossible.

You don't need to spend that much to get a really good bottle of bourbon. Blanton's is really good as is Angel's Envy. Another good one is Bookers.

It's not that bad to get, I've won quite a few times in the past.

We were just in Lexington for a conference. You couldn't find a lot of the difficult to find burbons. Even at the distillery. Here we thought it was just a Pennsylvania thing.

Then you've been lucky. I live in KY and know people who've lived here their whole lives and never got a bottle. One guy has even worked in a liquor store. I could always get some at a restaurant but don't really want to spend $100 a shot.

I go to a charity auction every year and they auction off a bottle...cheapest it ever went for was $2,700 and this year it went for $3,700.

There’s a lesser version of Pappy. Can’t thinkbof the name right now though. That’s received high marks from some friends that are bourbon connoisseurs.

My cousin did a lot of work for me on my house. He likes bourbon. I picked him up a 2001 limited edition Knob Creek bottle for $150 at total wine in Delaware.

Interested to hear how it is ....

Reactions: N&B4PSU
There’s a lesser version of Pappy. Can’t thinkbof the name right now though. That’s received high marks from some friends that are bourbon connoisseurs.
Weller's 12....it's the same recipe and the same distillery, but not aged as long. It's inexpensive but also very tough to get. I got one bottle but finished it a couple months ago.

Reactions: rudedude
You can get a nice bottle of Elijah craig 18 for about $80. Also, Black maple hill 16 year runs about $125.
Jeffersons Presidential 21 year select is also a good one...runs about $150.

You can get a nice bottle of Elijah craig 18 for about $80. Also, Black maple hill 16 year runs about $125.
Jeffersons Presidential 21 year select is also a good one...runs about $150.
Black Maple Hill is ok and it is a blend. Barrell Strength Elijah Craig is good. Elmer T. Lee is another good bourbon.

This. If you can find a bottle. But I think you could spend $100-$150 and do just as well. Black Maple Hill 16 year old small batch ($150) OT Jefferson’s Ocean: Aged at Sea ($90) are both fantastic.
I'd like to try s bottle of
Black Maple Hill-16, I believe it's difficult to find. I found Black Maple Premium small batch, but that seems to be 2-4 grand a bottle.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Black Maple Hill is ok and it is a blend. Barrell Strength Elijah Craig is good. Elmer T. Lee is another good bourbon.

This thread has me realizing that I don't know squat about Bourbon, which is OK given that I am not a regular bourbon drinker. "Pappy Van Winkle" and "Elmer T. Lee" bourbon? Do they have an Elmer T. Fudd bourbon as well? Is the upper end bourbon market populated by a bunch of tiny distilleries that produce an exceedingly small quantity of product?

This thread has me realizing that I don't know squat about Bourbon, which is OK given that I am not a regular bourbon drinker. "Pappy Van Winkle" and "Elmer T. Lee" bourbon? Do they have an Elmer T. Fudd bourbon as well? Is the upper end bourbon market populated by a bunch of tiny distilleries that produce an exceedingly small quantity of product?
Bourbon is on a huge upswing which is a problem because they didn't plan for this years ago when they stocked the barrels, so there is a shortage of many types of bourbon. Now the distillers are stocking an adequate supply so in the future the prices will come down. And small batch bourbons are definitely very popular now.

That's funny, good luck finding a bottle, and resale is 500 for the cheapest and usually 1000 for the 10 yrs and maybe over 2k for the 20k. I have had the 10 and 20. 10 tasted much better, 20 was too oaky, okie dokey.
If the OP wants to go up to ~$500, the 10 year Old Rip Van Winkle is available under $500
https://www.continentalws.com/brands/Buffalo-Trace
I sold my last bottle of 10 year for $350 a year ago (paid ~$175 at my local shop)

The PLCB lottery for Pappy, etc. will be coming up soon. You can register on the Wine and Spirits webpage. You need a credit card on file. I got a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle last year for $90. They actually sold a package of all variations of Pappy for about $1800. I work in Binghamton NY and they have a bottle of the Old Rip Van Winkle for sale for about $350.

That's funny, good luck finding a bottle, and resale is 500 for the cheapest and usually 1000 for the 10 yrs and maybe over 2k for the 20k. I have had the 10 and 20. 10 tasted much better, 20 was too oaky, okie dokey.

Like I've said, I've had a lot of luck with the PA lottery, but the hipsters will ruin this too, just like they did craft beer. The odds are likely getting significantly worse year by year.

Buffalo Trace
Buffalo Trace and Blantons come from the same distallary. I went there for a tasting a year ago. Great trip and very good bourbon. Buffalo Trace is great for mixing in old fashions or manhattans. Blantons is better served neat or with one ice cube. It's smoother. Their bottle tops with the horses and ball shaped bottles become collectors items.

Reactions: Mixolydian
Buffalo Trace and Blantons come from the same distallary. I went there for a tasting a year ago. Great trip and very good bourbon. Buffalo Trace is great for mixing in old fashions or manhattans. Blantons is better served neat or with one ice cube. It's smoother. Their bottle tops with the horses and ball shaped bottles become collectors items.

This reminded me, I did a tour of the Bulleit bourbonery a few years ago, and the Bulleit 10 year was really quite nice for only ~$50.

Four Roses Single Barrel is good...I just added that to my collection recently. Also added Bib & Tucker but haven't tried it yet.
Those are both very good bourbons. Just got introduced to the Bib & Tucker recently as well.

Buying a bottle of bourbon for a client. I don’t drink bourbon. Would like to get him something noteworthy. Something between $200-$300 would be fine.

Figured the all knowing board would be a good resource.
My two cents is that you’re better off finding a couple of bottles for half that price (or less). If you live away from Kentucky/southern Indiana try to get your hands on an OKI 10 year. It is $45 and delicious, but only sold in Kentucky and around Cincy and southern IN. Nice find that not entirely easy to get your hands on if you don’t live there.

Old Ripy is very nice for ~$50. And getting your hands on a Col EH Taylor Barrel Proof - ~$120 - isn’t impossible.

This. If you can find a bottle. But I think you could spend $100-$150 and do just as well. Black Maple Hill 16 year old small batch ($150) OT Jefferson’s Ocean: Aged at Sea ($90) are both fantastic.

At 9 years, bourbon stops aging. Per Booker Noe. He is descendant of Jim Beam and former head distiller .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT